Four Door Pickup

Looking to buy a new 4 door pickup.

The rear seats are better than the "extra" two door cab.You don't have to keep sliding the front seats forward to gain access for passengers and shopping. I know the annual tax is more.

Only the Toyota has a fold "up" back seat but lacks other things standard, unless you go for the 3.0 litre model.

I don't want the "hi lander" as steping up and lowering the head hurts my bad back. The 2.5l seems ideal.

However the 4 door Mitsuibishi is 100k less than Toyata and Izusu. I rejected the Ford,Nissan and Chevy. Extras excluded.

Has anyone bought the Mitsubishi and got any comments?

I know its resale value may not be as good as Toyota but the compensation is that its always easier to sell cheaper.

Stop being so lazy and look at the thread on fuel consumption of pickups as a guy on that thread mentions buying a triton :o

The Mitsu dealer in Korat near the mall is very good. I had a test drive of a Lancer there and the guy who took me out seemed to know all of the features and benefits. Check out other dealers for discounts. I ended up buying my Lancer from a dealer in Sai Noi and I got 80,000 discount.

Stop being so lazy and look at the thread on fuel consumption of pickups as a guy on that thread mentions buying a triton :o

The Mitsu dealer in Korat near the mall is very good. I had a test drive of a Lancer there and the guy who took me out seemed to know all of the features and benefits. Check out other dealers for discounts. I ended up buying my Lancer from a dealer in Sai Noi and I got 80,000 discount.

Big Guns

Pardon me for stating the obvious but

1) the guy asked a simple but serious question, and

2) It was a four door pickup and not a saloon car he wanted

so why are you telling him about your experiences in buying a Lancer and rubbishing him about being so lazy and to go and look at a thread about fuel consumption.

Did you misunderstand the thread?

Korat Correct

I am sorry that I cannot help you as I have not been looking for another 4 door 4WD for a while but with the current economic climate you can probably get a low mileage pickup for a good price, or look at Expat motors who is a sponsor of the motoring forum.

Edited by billd766

billd766, nice style of writing you have with numbered points. Rather like a 15 year old IGCSE student.

1. I was kidding and not giving the guy a hard time, hence the smiley face.

2. I answered his question.

3. I let him know how good the Mitsu dealer was in Korat and gae him the advice to check other dealers for prices.

4. You did not answer his question.

5. You are an arse!

6. As such I will not reply to any of your postings.

I am the guy that bought the Triton. Mitsu have two 4 door models around/under 600k. 608k for a 4 door with elect windows/mirrors/alloy wheels/central locking. 548k for the basic one: windup windows, metal wheels, no electric mirrors, etc. I think the extra money for the 608K one is justified. If you have cash, you should get a good discount (I got 10k), plus extras thrown in (I got alarm/remote door opener, free 1st party insurance, mp3 player/fm upgrade, window film, body undercoating, free car registration/tabien lot, flat bed liner). I got mine from a Bangkok dealer so maybe you wont get as many free extras if you buy it outside Bangkok?

Overall very please. Probably not as good as a Vigo, but not far off and a more powerful engine. Gear lever is better than the basic Vigo model (short like a car unlike the Vigo which is long like a truck). Much like a car but a little noisier. I asked for an owners manual in English that they said they can get for me. Only minor disappointments is no free touch up paint (why?), spare wheel is not alloy, no tool roll; but these are hardly serious. Extremly roomy for the rear passangers (certainly better than a small car for the same price).

I wonder if the Mitsu/new Isuzu 2500cc engine is the same since they both have the same power? Would not be surprised since everything under the bonnet in my old Isuzu pickup had a Mitsu logo on it, and Isuzu is a small manufacturer in terms of world pickup sales. If they are the same, then probably the difference is in the computer control unit/common rail system, which would make some difference?

Do I recommend the Triton? Yes. Cheaper than a Vigo and 2500cc engine has more power (but a little nosier than the Vigo?). Certainly best value 4 door. Car like in many ways. Maybe body styling is a little radical for some?

Being unpleasant to each other is so unnecessary,and being rude is sheer ignorance

Before you say anything Big Guns, first ask

Is it kind?

Is it necessary?

Is it true?

if it is not all three please don't say it.

I thank Big Guns and billd766 for their comments.

I am certainly thinking about fuel consumption (and alternative fuels which a diesel engine cannot convert to.)

However I will check out the others comments on the subject.

For information

Toyota offer 35kbht discount

Izusu 20-30k discount

Mitsubishi 45kbht discount.

On the Triton 2.5GLX 4 door, 2wd. List Price 608kbht ( Toyota 636k)

608kbht includes as I understand it.

1 year 1st class insurance

Registration

Transport

Tax on Insurance

Liner

55% film

Floor mats

Side Visor

Scuff plates

spare wheel lock

soft cover

tank of diesel

rear light cover

AND CD

That is in the out of town Korat centre!

I have to check the price again with the In town centre.

If anyone has bought one I would like to know what they think of it.

It doesn't have ABS but something called LSPV which assists braking.

The engine is a 2.5 Turbocharged Direct Injection Engine with a Common rail fuel delivery system (DOHC 16 valves) and is a definite improvement on the Strada.

Maichai

After posting my thread I found you had beaten me to it and what you say is very helpful

I think you have convinced a "Doubting Thomas"

I will go and check out all you draw attention to and add your disappointments to my wanted list.

Thanks again.

Please keep in touch.

You can email me by clicking on Korat Correct!

Being unpleasant to each other is so unnecessary,and being rude is sheer ignorance

Before you say anything Big Guns, first ask

Is it kind?

Is it necessary?

Is it true?

if it is not all three please don't say it.

I thank Big Guns and billd766 for their comments.

I am certainly thinking about fuel consumption (and alternative fuels which a diesel engine cannot convert to.)

However I will check out the others comments on the subject.

For information

Toyota offer 35kbht discount

Izusu 20-30k discount

Mitsubishi 45kbht discount.

On the Triton 2.5GLX 4 door, 2wd. List Price 608kbht ( Toyota 636k)

608kbht includes as I understand it.

1 year 1st class insurance

Registration

Transport

Tax on Insurance

Liner

55% film

Floor mats

Side Visor

Scuff plates

spare wheel lock

soft cover

tank of diesel

rear light cover

AND CD

That is in the out of town Korat centre!

I have to check the price again with the In town centre.

If anyone has bought one I would like to know what they think of it.

It doesn't have ABS but something called LSPV which assists braking.

The engine is a 2.5 Turbocharged Direct Injection Engine with a Common rail fuel delivery system (DOHC 16 valves) and is a definite improvement on the Strada.

i am looking for the 1 1/2 cab version of the mitsu. is there a website that shows the list price or do i need to find a showroom and physically go in and ask?

ta

smartecosse

Do you have a problem with visiting a Mitsubishi dealer?

If not go and enjoy their hospitality.

There are a range of 1& 1/2 pickups and if you are buying new may i suggest you ask for a big discount from the list price and then decide what "accessories" you want.

> The rear seats are better than the "extra" two door cab.You don't have to

> keep sliding the front seats forward to gain access for passengers and

> shopping. I know the annual tax is more.

Well, yes, but being registered as passenger cars, 1st class insurance is less.

And, suddenly being a passenger car, you're allowed to drive faster. :o (Serious!)

Cheers,

Chanchao

> The rear seats are better than the "extra" two door cab.You don't have to

> keep sliding the front seats forward to gain access for passengers and

> shopping. I know the annual tax is more.

Well, yes, but being registered as passenger cars, 1st class insurance is less.

And, suddenly being a passenger car, you're allowed to drive faster. :o (Serious!)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chanchao

I didn't know that 4 door makesIst Class insurance is cheaper.

I am working on Insuring the pickup now so that was very helpful.

Being 4 door does make the yearly tax go from 900 to 6000bht though I think?

> I didn't know that 4 door makesIst Class insurance is cheaper.

Passenger car (black on white plates) is cheaper to insure 1st class compared to pickups (green on white plates).

Not sure about the exact amounts.. it's not a whole lot of money either way. (like a 5000 baht difference per year is, what, filling up at the pump 3 times... :o )

..or 2 times.. :'(

Edited by chanchao

• 2 weeks later...

Definately the Triton 2.5 4 door is the best value for money. It is also the only 4 door with the 2.5 engine offered with auto gearbox. Manuel is always fun but living inside Bkk and on a daily use car it is not so fun.

This model also has a great potensial to give you easy more power for a very low extra cost. In difference to the 2.5 4x4 the non 4x4 comes without an intercooler. This is the only thing in difference on these to models what comes to the engine. The power in difference is some 25-30 hp on these two and you could be looking at an extra 40 hp if mounting a bigger intercooler than the 2.5 4x4 originally comes equiped with. This together with CDI chip or reprogramming of the CDI.

Good big intercolers you can get from 6000-10.000 B + install. There is to many shops doing this kind of work in Bk to start mention. With these mods you will most likely see the use of lesser fuel as the CDI mods is more precise in the balance between air and fuel than the standard settings from Mitsu.

Also not too expensive would be to go for a turbo upgrade. There is a lot of kits available in Thailand and if there is not one yet for this model it is probably just around the corner. Anyway it is easy to have this work done for a turbo workshop from basic if no kit is available. Send a good thai friend to the shop with your girlfriend when checking price.

You could easy see 180 hp on the 2.5 with these mods. If am not wrong the 2.5 4 door has 116 hp and the 2.5 4x4 about 145 hp.

50.000 B and you should have a 4 door with 180 hp. These engines are bullet proof so dont worry.

The original body widening like on the 4x4 cost 9000 B from the Mitsu dealer...660.000

Some nice 20" and you got a very cool car for just over 700.000

+ 40000 and you got the auto.

Most likely you didnt look for all this but I ll still post it to let you and others see the great potensial this car has.

Price list under "Triton"

Pricelist Triton

Check this one out

Nice looking Triton

F1 Visa Runner

The 2.5 GLX Triton 2wd 4 door comes with a turbo charge?

Are you saying that performance and fuel economy is improved by fitting an intercooler to that model? Do you know the model of intercooler or is it the one Mitsubishi fit into their other models?

Here is the link working

Nice looking Triton

Yes all tritons come with turbo as standard.

By only fitting an intercooler you will improve the performance. You should also do the CDI and here you ve got several options. Ask around in some tuning shops that does Mitsu what is the best in your case.

When you are modyfying the CDI there is several reasons for why you get more power and also will see a fuel save. The balance between fuel and air is optimized and is more accurate than the fixed settings it has got when it comes from the Mitsu factory. With better mixing you get the fuel save and also some more power.

As the CDI is the cars engine management and controls almost everything in your engine,

it is standard when modyfying the CDI to raise the turbo boost/preasure on turbo cars also. Here is where you get the power. It might be possible that you will get more than a 40 hp power increase if doing these mods.

Intercooler (talking about turbo cars with not high power output) on a turbo car VS the same turbo car without intercooler will normally give about a 10% hp power increase. If you look at the triton without the intercooler (116 hp) VS the one with the intercooler ( 140 hp.. just checked) there is a power increase of just over 20 %.

From my opinion there might be a difference in the turbo boost settings on these two models from the factory.

To make it more clear.

Lets say the (not real numbers!)

Triton 2.5 turbo, had a boost preasure of 0.5 kg giving it 116 hp

Triton 2.5 turbo intercooler, had a boost preasure of 0.6 giving it 140 hp.

A modified Triton 2.5 turbo with a tuning intercooler that is bigger than the standard from Mitsu, a CDI mod that raised the preasure to 0.9 kg. Maybe you will see + 160 hp

I would guess here that you are looking at + 160 hp. Then with a new turbo set up and there you got your +180 hp

When getting an intercooler you should get yourself a big cooler for tuning cars. How big it should be the guys in the shop will advise you in.

The original from Mitsu will not give as much power up as a tuning intercooler and is probably more expensive too.

Here is the link working

Nice looking Triton

Yes all tritons come with turbo as standard.

By only fitting an intercooler you will improve the performance. You should also do the CDI and here you ve got several options. Ask around in some tuning shops that does Mitsu what is the best in your case.

When you are modyfying the CDI there is several reasons for why you get more power and also will see a fuel save. The balance between fuel and air is optimized and is more accurate than the fixed settings it has got when it comes from the Mitsu factory. With better mixing you get the fuel save and also some more power.

As the CDI is the cars engine management and controls almost everything in your engine,

it is standard when modyfying the CDI to raise the turbo boost/preasure on turbo cars also. Here is where you get the power. It might be possible that you will get more than a 40 hp power increase if doing these mods.

Intercooler (talking about turbo cars with not high power output) on a turbo car VS the same turbo car without intercooler will normally give about a 10% hp power increase. If you look at the triton without the intercooler (116 hp) VS the one with the intercooler ( 140 hp.. just checked) there is a power increase of just over 20 %.

From my opinion there might be a difference in the turbo boost settings on these two models from the factory.

To make it more clear.

Lets say the (not real numbers!)

Triton 2.5 turbo, had a boost preasure of 0.5 kg giving it 116 hp

Triton 2.5 turbo intercooler, had a boost preasure of 0.6 giving it 140 hp.

A modified Triton 2.5 turbo with a tuning intercooler that is bigger than the standard from Mitsu, a CDI mod that raised the preasure to 0.9 kg. Maybe you will see + 160 hp

I would guess here that you are looking at + 160 hp. Then with a new turbo set up and there you got your +180 hp

When getting an intercooler you should get yourself a big cooler for tuning cars. How big it should be the guys in the shop will advise you in.

The original from Mitsu will not give as much power up as a tuning intercooler and is probably more expensive too.

F1

Interesting stuff you brought up here....must look into that.

link isn't working so i found them and load them up...guess these are pics you meant the link to...

post-27056-1153578192.jpg

post-27056-1153578223.jpg

Link beefed up Tritons

2 Nice looking Tritons.. Link working!

Yes its quite interesting as it gives people a lot of options, 4 door, 2 door, auto not auto, intercooler not intercooler, tuning intercooler and 4x4 or not. The basic models are cheap and you can turn your car into somethig special and still land it all at a good price.

To say something about the 2.5 engine, this is a very good engine and is more than enough for most people. The 2 wheel drive could easily have been sold with a 2 litre turbo diesel engine. The 2.5 turbo will easily manage 99% of the needs, also for all the thais that use them with heavy load daily. Remember that Thailand is almost all a flat country.

Diesel engines also have more torque compared to gasoline engines. The 3.2 Triton has 351 NM and the 2.5 intercooler has 321 NM. Not much in difference and both engines are considered as having a high torque. The full torque is picked up from 2000 rpm on both engines so there is really power here from the bottom.

About the fuel save, I am not sure that everyone will experiance this. What I mean is, if you are doing some engine mods you get quite a fast and funny car to drive. You might floor it more often which mean use of more fuel than as if your car was standard.

Horespower does not com from nowhere and more hp means burning of more fuel. If you floor it with 160 hp you will burn more fuel than if you floor it and it only has 116 hp.

My mods would be buying a 2.5 auto 4 door, rip out the engine and build the car up from there. 20" or 22" and then lowering it. I would go for a 2-JZ twin turbo with mods. Standard engine comes from the Toyota Supra and has 280 hp as Japan version and 330 hp as Europe version.

There is allready a brand new Triton modified like this in Bk and also with engine mods giving it +500 hp. This car is a 2 door mega cab version.

I am car crazy though so for most this would be a bit over kill :o

Edited by F1 Visa Runner

• 3 weeks later...

F1 Visa Runner you are a car nut! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge on the subject with us. The 2.5ltr is already powerful enough for my needs, but to think I can get such an improvement in performance as you mention is awsome! Maybe that performance boost is useful since I do alot of driving in Bangkok.

Edited by MaiChai