Fake 1,000 Baht banknotes spread to eastern Thailand

webfact

It would be nice if they were to put a picture of these bills(both sides) so we can see what they look like.

good idea.....many English teachers would never have seen a 1000 baht note before whistling.gif

It would be nice if they were to put a picture of these bills(both sides) so we can see what they look like.

good idea.....many English teachers would never have seen a 1000 baht note before whistling.gif

Nor are likely to receive any in their salaries so no point really.

A few of years back I tried to pay for some stuff at Swampy airport only to be told the 1000 was fake. Being a relative newbie then I couldnt see the difference but still have the note and can see it easy now. I had only ever got 1000 notes from an ATM or bank. Therefore their scrutinizing is not the best then. Maybe they have improved a bit since then.blink.png

Mr. Somsak said he was about to refuse the notes because he heard about the news about fake notes in Trang province, but decided to accept them anyway "out of respect."

Strange to make statements like this, but we hear them often.

It must be a face recovery thing in an attempt to say he was not completely taken unaware... but it really comes off as looking a little silly as it reads to me like 'I was suspicious they money was fake but decided to trust them anyhow'......

Next, the driver who didn't run away will be saying, 'I nearly gave way but decided to pull out in front of him when it was too late'.......

Sort of like when someone is arrested in Farangville and all the neighbors suddenly claim they always thought the guys was a little suspicious.

If he was a Thai Visa poster he'd now claim; "It's not the money. It's principle/"

I must come from a different farangland, mostly I hear comments like  'He seemed to be a really nice person and was very quiet'

or 'He kept himself to himself'......but people here are so much smarter, they start off being suspicious and get taken despite it!

Mr. Somsak said he was about to refuse the notes because he heard about the news about fake notes in Trang province, but decided to accept them anyway "out of respect."

Strange to make statements like this, but we hear them often.

It must be a face recovery thing in an attempt to say he was not completely taken unaware... but it really comes off as looking a little silly as it reads to me like 'I was suspicious they money was fake but decided to trust them anyhow'......

Next, the driver who didn't run away will be saying, 'I nearly gave way but decided to pull out in front of him when it was too late'.......

Sort of like when someone is arrested in Farangville and all the neighbors suddenly claim they always thought the guys was a little suspicious.

If he was a Thai Visa poster he'd now claim; "It's not the money. It's principle/"

I must come from a different farangland, mostly I hear comments like  'He seemed to be a really nice person and was very quiet'

or 'He kept himself to himself'......but people here are so much smarter, they start off being suspicious and get taken despite it!

IF you say you thought he was suspicious, you look bad and guilt-ridden.  Then others will ask, "Why didn't you do anything???!!"

IF you say "he was quiet, kept to himself."  much less problems.

I had a fake 500baht note from a restaurant in Hua Hin sometime last year. It had a bad hologram but otherwise it looked excellent. I returned it the day after and it was exchanged without question.

I wonder could someone print these fake notes and then try to exchange them for real ones.

For expansion of 'Feel Look Tilt' to check if note is real go to this link

a

http://www.bot.or.th/English/Banknotes/production_and_security/Pages/identify.aspx

@ ThaidDown.  PERFECT!  Thank You!

Perhaps if just once...the press and even TV published the SOLUTION (as you have) and stopped bitching about the problem ... it would go SO much more easily!

Well done.  Good on ya' .... much appreciated !!

Sorry Bkk, didnt see your posting,  I repeated link before reading fully....

Is there a post with a full description of how to spot the fakes?

No but the article suggests holding it up to the light, which means look for the watermark. Watermarks are difficult, although not impossible, to make.

The second way would be to check the foil strip running up the side of the bill. They are supposed to be stamped with holograms that change color ever so slightly when viewed from different angles. Although looking at the hundreds in my wallet now, I have a hard time seeing this.

Perhaps the best way is to carry a small black light and check for the security strip, which will fluoresce when exposed to black light. You can see the BTS change vendors doing this when you give them a 500 or 1000 baht bill.  I can't find an image online but here's what it looks like on a USD $20 bill:

Counterfeit_Currency_9.jpg

More from the BOT.

So now we all have to go to a disco to check our bills. Fine by me, except I`ll probably spend them all! biggrin.png

There should be Blacklight at every ATM.

Edited by Eagleizer

Any 1000baht note I have or get, comes from the ATM machine.

I would assume they are all real, would think the bank has a scanning system of sorts, before loading up the ATM's

I reckon making them the colour of your avatar would be a plus thumbsup.gif

It is sad to see some one get ripped off with fake currency.

If you have not read it, this is very serious in Argentina as well. You can even get fake money there at the banks, in taxis

at the market, so beware if you go to that country.

I hope Thailand keeps modernizing their currency notes.