Subjects to bring in lnternational students

Thailand could consider attracting overseas students with relevant courses for undergraduate and post graduates.

Rising fees of universities around the world makes affordability difficult for students; in addition to this, there is a reduction to the scope of subject matter and content and thirdly, students from more affluent families are less likely to choose subjects that are deemed ' non-professional'.

A university l was associated with has downsized many subjects due to financial considerations and relevance of content.

I suggest a pilot course with a certificate for sustainability, to be conducted at a university in Surin.

• Like 1

Rising fees of universities around the world makes affordability difficult for students; in addition to this, there is a reduction to the scope of subject matter ...

I don't think "attracting" students who cannot afford to study at home is likely to benefit anyone. Diploma mills abound outside Thailand for the financially and intellectually challenged. Trying to lure them to Thailand isn't going to improve Thailand's academic reputation or the economy.

With all the universities in Europe, the US, Australia, etc. I doubt there is a serious lack of subject-matter-scope thwarting students. At the undergrad level it's hard to imagine you can't find a university or consortium of universities that are able to accommodate your objectives no matter how arcane. If you want to study some highly specialized subject at the graduate level, the chances of it being on offer in a language you understand at a Thai university, but not to be found at one of the major universities in the west is remote unless it is highly specific to a S.E. Asian specialty and even then Asian studies are well-establish at many US and UK universities and they would already have programs in place that include some time spent in Asia and study options in appropriate countries.

Edited by Suradit69

I dealt with this matter of recruiting foreign students to study in Thailand for six years in the top Thailand university. It is significantly difficult because no foreigner wants a Thai degree; maybe a junior year abroad, but even then not here unless it is in Thai studies and language (there are better Asian studies elsewhere). Thailand is thought of as a vacation and fun place so parents are reluctant to place their children here (the English name for Krung Thep does not help people think this is a serious study place).

Even a little research shows that the places in the world who hire high achieving graduates are deeply suspicious of the QUALITY and depth of Thai universities, not to mention the smaller colleges and for-profit places. Teaching here showed me that a Thai B.A. is like a USA fifth year of high school at most. I had to water down my USA-formulated courses by about 60% and that owning and reading BOOKS (gasp!) was the rare exception. Even the most serious, diligent student here is dragged down by the cavalier attitude predominating.

Overwhelmingly significant changes would have to be instituted to change this matter. I found no Thai university administrator even aware of, much less desiring upgrading, this problem.

FYI, in 2012 there were 16,000+ foreign students in International bachelor, master, and PhD programs across Thailand. In addition to the foreign students, 150,000 Thai students also studied in many international degree producing programs. The programs in Thailand are not as bad as others say they are but a lot depends on the study habits of the student. You can waste your time here or get an outstanding education. It's up to you.

I appreciate the proactive observations; but l am not suggesting Masters from a Thai university and it's not that the value is diminished because it's from Thailand.

I could successfully argue the same about Australian universities (and extrapolating from there, most universities around the world). A Masters in Urban Planning was $46,000 three years ago; for every available job, there are more than 100 cookie cutter graduates.

To my mind it is about the relevance of the subject matter, hence sustainability. A certificate in that subject with a credit to other related subjects is my suggestion. A graduate will be able to instantly apply what they have learned or seek a Masters if they have the urge.

The cost of getting a degree in the US has increased 1,120 percent in the last 30 years.

That was not a typo. Twelve fold increase in 30 years.

It gets to a point where the investment cannot pay off.

So, yes, the move to overseas education is happening and will continue to happen.

Some of the better Engineering schools, especially Computer Engineering are in India.

Its true Thai universities do not have a great reputation (and I am being kind) but people buy all kinds of cars. Some buy a cheap Suzuki. Some buy a Mercedes Benz.

Daniel Boon...if I understand you correctly, your suggesting Thai universities offer courses in which a person could get a certificate of completion when they finish the class. I've seen classes like that. Mini-MBA to teach management skills is currently being offered in Thai in my moo bahn. I'm sure other schools have them as well. If I were you, I would check the schools with the biggest budgets because they have the money to start programs like that. Also, to make these certificate programs cost effective, they would need a big market to get their students from. Which means you should probably start your search in Bangkok universities. Small communities would have a problem finding enough people to make the program sustainable.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with Thai universities is that they overvalue their degrees. A PhD from a Thai University will run you around 800,000 baht. An international program will run you roughly 500,000.

When I was creating the BA TESOL I received a great deal of flack from the administrators of University because at 1,000 baht per credit the program was far too inexpensive. They insisted it should be twice as much. And took a great deal of time for me to explain to them that the market would only support approximately 1,000 baht per hour, or 3,000 baht per month. The students only earn 30,000 to 40,000. In the end its a market.

• 3 months later...

I appreciate the proactive observations; but l am not suggesting Masters from a Thai university and it's not that the value is diminished because it's from Thailand.

I could successfully argue the same about Australian universities (and extrapolating from there, most universities around the world). A Masters in Urban Planning was $46,000 three years ago; for every available job, there are more than 100 cookie cutter graduates.

To my mind it is about the relevance of the subject matter, hence sustainability. A certificate in that subject with a credit to other related subjects is my suggestion. A graduate will be able to instantly apply what they have learned or seek a Masters if they have the urge.

No market whatsoever in what you are suggesting. A 'certificate'? and what's that? Something of zero value validated at what level? You are possibly confusing with short courses at professional level which have a direct application.

No market whatsoever in what you are suggesting. A 'certificate'? and what's that? Something of zero value validated at what level? You are possibly confusing with short courses at professional level which have a direct application.

I just took a free online globalization course with Georgetown University via EdX.org. It was a great course and I got a certificate for the course. There are plenty of great courses online that are free. For me, I'm attracted to this type of learning because it compliments my MBA degree. I learned a lot from this course and will likely take more courses like this in the future.

I just took a free online globalization course with Georgetown University via EdX.org. It was a great course and I got a certificate for the course. There are plenty of great courses online that are free. For me, I'm attracted to this type of learning because it compliments my MBA degree. I learned a lot from this course and will likely take more courses like this in the future.

Don't confuse what you did (which IMHO adds little to a previously gained MBA) to the marketability of international courses and their relevance to employability. Also IMHO, if you have an MBA the courses which you should be following are professional qualifications maybe in accounting, not la-dah-globalisation which is likely a step back from doing an MBA....or maybe the MBA didn't get you on a decent enough ladder?

Don't confuse what you did (which IMHO adds little to a previously gained MBA) to the marketability of international courses and their relevance to employability. Also IMHO, if you have an MBA the courses which you should be following are professional qualifications maybe in accounting, not la-dah-globalisation which is likely a step back from doing an MBA....or maybe the MBA didn't get you on a decent enough ladder?

Thanks for your opinion on my situation. I'm not confused. I'm doing globalization research and felt, based on Georgetown University's description of the course, that it would compliment what I had studied during my MBA. I was satisfied with the opportunity cost of the course.

Most universities in Thailand have marketable international programs. Many are joint degree programs with overseas universities. For Thai students, these are great programs because the are in English and cover what they need to gain meaningful employment not only in Thailand but also in Asean.

For westerners it's a different story as labor restrictions often limit their opportunities. However, returning to their home country may improve their opportunities. Although, if the student was not a good student and learned very little then going back likely will not help either.

• 2 weeks later...

There are those that really don't care if they get a piece of paper or not. What is of use is the experience gained at university itself. I would really like to do a biology degree of some sort in natural sciences in Thailand as I have a great interest in studying the fauna of Thailand. Being able to study with those that are also studying this area and tutored by those with knowledge in the subject area is the value to me.

If anyone knows of a biology or environmental programme that is on offer to international students I would be grateful if you could pm me.

There are those that really don't care if they get a piece of paper or not. What is of use is the experience gained at university itself. I would really like to do a biology degree of some sort in natural sciences in Thailand as I have a great interest in studying the fauna of Thailand. Being able to study with those that are also studying this area and tutored by those with knowledge in the subject area is the value to me.

If anyone knows of a biology or environmental programme that is on offer to international students I would be grateful if you could pm me.

Those that supposedly don't care if they achieve certification or not are making a big mistake IMHO. They are certainly putting themselves at a disadvantage further down the line career-wise and are sending out a message that they are unable to study in a disciplined way. All that the record reveals is the message 'failed'.

This is going to be the big problem with attracting foreign students to courses at Thai universities:

"Thailand's quality of higher education is ranked eighth in Asean, while Laos is again in sixth spot."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Lao-children-are-better-educated-than-Thai-kids-30243024.html

Of course some Thai unis are okay, but the general standard is pretty poor.

Those that supposedly don't care if they achieve certification or not are making a big mistake IMHO. They are certainly putting themselves at a disadvantage further down the line career-wise and are sending out a message that they are unable to study in a disciplined way. All that the record reveals is the message 'failed'.

I already have a double degree and a private business. I like the idea of doing a subject that I would really enjoy. Neither of my degrees were really of much use to me in business by the way. If you are just going to university to get a bit of paper to give yourself a so called career, then I think you are on the road to a dull and possibly unhappy future.

• 5 weeks later...

I already have a double degree and a private business. I like the idea of doing a subject that I would really enjoy. Neither of my degrees were really of much use to me in business by the way. If you are just going to university to get a bit of paper to give yourself a so called career, then I think you are on the road to a dull and possibly unhappy future.

What double degree? and MBA? Sounds a bit as if a 'so-called career' has eluded you so far. 'Private business' and you have time for the joys of online globalisation?

Edited by SheungWan

• 5 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In my opinion, the biggest problem with Thai universities is that they overvalue their degrees. A PhD from a Thai University will run you around 800,000 baht. An international program will run you roughly 500,000.

When I was creating the BA TESOL I received a great deal of flack from the administrators of University because at 1,000 baht per credit the program was far too inexpensive. They insisted it should be twice as much. And took a great deal of time for me to explain to them that the market would only support approximately 1,000 baht per hour, or 3,000 baht per month. The students only earn 30,000 to 40,000. In the end its a market.

The program also needs to be sustainable - to pay for facilities, teacher salaries, etc. It can't just be cheap without the other costs coming from somewhere. You created a subsidized degree, did you get funding to cover the subsidization? Or were you expecting someone else to do that?

• 3 weeks later...

Not all of us need more letters after their name, but still want to study a particular subject.

Years ago, I studied for the MA in Thai Studies at Chulalongkorn University. If I registered for the MA qualification the overall fee was x baht. If I followed exactly the same course material, but opted not to receive the MA qualification at the end, the course fee was x-y

I was studying for my own interest, not for reasons of a career. x-y sounded much better than x :)

• 3 weeks later...

A BA in Bar Girl Studies - You would make a fortune....

I doubt it. Most of the guys who profess an interest in the subject could summarise all they know on less than one side of A4. It just seems more because they repeat themselves on an endless loop in their favourite watering hole.

• Like 1