Thai Police to crack down on drivers using smartphone functions today

webfact

Good to see that there's a crackdown on phone use today......will it extend to tomorrow and there after??

Another 24 hour wonder I think.

They have so much to sort out they can only allow 24hrs per crackdown.

jb1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to beat a dead horse but, I can't drive from Jomtien to Pattaya no matter what route, what time of day, and during that short of distance, I come across at least one motorcyclist going the wrong way on my side of the road..........WHAT CRACKDOWN????

Perfect! But start with the bus and van-drivers who are responsible for more people than only themselves.

Texting while driving endangers many others. One could cause an accident with a bus and have a dozen killed.

Riding without helmet is only endangering the ones on the bike.

What about taxi drivers who use GPRS and have to answer calls from base controllers?

Hands free phone setup for them.

From 2011:

Researchers at the Governors Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that even when using a Bluetooth or other device which allows drivers to keep both hands on the wheel while talking on a cell, the brain is focusing on the conversation, rather than on the road.

The research has led the National Transportation Safety Board this week to recommend that states ban all cellphone use - hands-free or handheld - by drivers.

The fine range is a great deterrent  when its 300bts for no crash helmet! Just make it 5000bts thats it your nicked, open the wallet! Of course if you really wanted to work you could do what they are doing in the UK when cars are caught with no insurance or road tax.....................on the back of a truck and off to the crusher, now that might catch peoples attention.

Heard it ALL before. How about RED light runners who are too childish to stop and wait for green?

Then take the toy off them! Its time the police started to apply the laws, that is what they are paid to do isnt it?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This problem needs some BIG fines. What's 400-1000 Bht....nothing. Confiscate the phone first, then chuck the perp in jail for a few weeks. That'll sort it out.

General?

Is that you?

Yes it's General Pinochet, actually. Those guys never die.

• Like 1

How about cracking down on the most obvious violation -driving in the wrong direction?  How about red light violations? How about double parking? How about 3 or 4 people on a motorbike? How about vehicles at night without tail lights? 

Smartphones ?           55555555555555555555555555555

Good. I am tired of incapable drivers/riders who jeopardize others by using the phone while driving. To be honest most people can't even drive properly but they take their incompetence to the next level by distracting themselves while driving. What kind of retarded failure does that? It's too lame to be true.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but, I can't drive from Jomtien to Pattaya no matter what route, what time of day, and during that short of distance, I come across at least one motorcyclist going the wrong way on my side of the road..........WHAT CRACKDOWN????

Patience bro, that's got to be on the crackdown list too I'm sure.

Seriously, though, I agree with you that among the many annoying things that drivers do again and again in this otherwise lovely country, this one is on top of the list in the crazy, dangerous and scary department, but I guess a lot more so for us Westerners who are totally conditionned to expect no vehicles going the wrong way.

You can see that Thais have somehow absorbed it in their genes by now, because they're never startled when faced with this situation.

• Like 1

As post #7 says ... what about motorcyclists using the phone? I hope this 'CRACKDOWN', there's that word again, will also include motorcyclists. I know car drivers are guilty of using the phone but motorcyclists ( I'm sure we all see them everyday riding around town, stuck to their mobile) are also a huge danger. And what about the umbrella usage on the bike? One hand to ride and the other to hold the umbrella. If they're gonna claim it's dangerous to use the phone whilst driving, which it obviously is, let's have some consistency right across the board with this.

I laugh as well when I see people who seem unconcerned aout their head hitting something hard and cracking so don't wear a helmet. But their hair getting wet, that's serious.

• Like 2

I enjoy kicking the mirrors of the cars when I see the driver on the phone doing stupid things. Just horn is not enough for those imbeciles. 

So you judge stupid or not stupid...

If you kick my mirror, I might end up in jail, if you understand !