Need Multiple Entry Permit With Non Imm O?

Yes, I have a bank account in Thailand, I also have a condo in my name. Does it work like this. I go to Thai Consulate in Taipei. Assuming my paperwork is in order they will give me a Non Immigrant Type "O" Visa which is valid for 3 months only. When I get to Thailand I need to go to immigration to get this visa converted into a 12 month version with multiple re-entry. To get this conversion I need to show a balance of Baht 200,000 in my Thai Bank account or a combination of income and savings in this amount. After July '04 this amount will increase to Baht 400,000.

If I leave Thailand without converting the 3 month visa to 12 months I will have to start again from scratch?

Assuming all my paperwork is in order, will I be able to get the conversion from 3 month to 12 month multi-entry done in one visit.?

Thanks again for all your advice.

Get the 200,000 into your bank account from abroad before July. See the Thai Trade office in Taipei ( no Consulate there because of the one China policy adhered to by Thailand ) Take the marriage docs and a copy of your wifes Thai ID. and get that Non-Imm O visa. Go to Immigration in Thailand with a letter from your Thai bank evidencing the current balance, together with your passbook, and the marriage papers again, and make application for a one year extension of that visa. You will be given an ' under consideration ' stamp, and you'll be asked to return in 30 days at which time you should get the one year extension. If you intend to travel in that one month delay, get a multiple entry re-entry permit. Good luck, but it should be a breeze for you. :o

Get the 200,000 into your bank account from abroad before July. See the Thai Trade office in Taipei ( no Consulate there because of the one China policy adhered to by Thailand ) Take the marriage docs and a copy of your wifes Thai ID. and get that Non-Imm O visa. Go to Immigration in Thailand with a letter from your Thai bank evidencing the current balance, together with your passbook, and the marriage papers again, and make application for a one year extension of that visa. You will be given an ' under consideration ' stamp, and you'll be asked to return in 30 days at which time you should get the one year extension. If you intend to travel in that one month delay, get a multiple entry re-entry permit. Good luck, but it should be a breeze for you. :o

It will be a good idea to take the wife with you to Immigration for the extension. As you are aware, apply the usual bureacratic dealing practice in Asia. Be polite, neat and conservertive in dress,

So infact,it's more beneficial to apply for a Multi Entry or (Re Entry???) :o For both the 3 month and 1 year visa if i am to fly home from time to time within that period?From what i understood provided i have a Multi Entry,i can come & go (due to commitments abroad)as i please.(I'll have to go back home 2 or 3 times in that 13 months for 1 week blocks at Unversity).Whilst living here as normal i will do the necessary border runs.Is this correct?

Many Thanks!

So infact,it's more beneficial to apply for a Multi Entry or (Re Entry???) :o For both the 3 month and 1 year visa if i am to fly home from time to time within that period?From what i understood provided i have a Multi Entry,i can come & go (due to commitments abroad)as i please.(I'll have to go back home 2 or 3 times in that 13 months for 1 week blocks at Unversity).Whilst living here as normal i will do the necessary border runs.Is this correct?

Many Thanks!

Extend the 3 month visa at Immigration in Thailand, and also apply for a Multiple re-entry permit.

Get the 200,000 into your bank account from abroad before July. See the Thai Trade office in Taipei ( no Consulate there because of the one China policy adhered to by Thailand ) Take the marriage docs and a copy of your wifes Thai ID. and get that Non-Imm O visa. Go to Immigration in Thailand with a letter from your Thai bank evidencing the current balance, together with your passbook, and the marriage papers again, and make application for a one year extension of that visa. You will be given an ' under  consideration ' stamp, and you'll be asked to return in 30 days at which time you should get the one year extension. If you intend to travel in that one month delay, get a multiple entry re-entry permit. Good luck, but it should be a breeze for you.    :o

It will be a good idea to take the wife with you to Immigration for the extension. As you are aware, apply the usual bureacratic dealing practice in Asia. Be polite, neat and conservertive in dress,

You need to present your wife at the immigration, after that immigration will send the documents to the policestation where you live. After a few weeks a policeman will come to your home and check if you stay together, and the police will tell you to come to the policestation with someone who can confirm and sign the paper together with the policemen that you stay together. Family member can not signed, the best is if you can find someone who worked for the government. My friend used a techer and this work. This is may be new for many, or new rules, but if this document dont come back to Immigration send by the police, then you will not get an one year ext. with a non imm o visa.

Hi Royar2002,

Thanks for your contribution. I'm not sure how this is all gonna work out. I only plan to be in Bangkok 7 - 10 days, so the chance is if the police turn up at my place I won't be there because I work in Taipei, the same place where the Non Immigrant "O" was issued in the first place, the same place where they wanted proof I worked in Taiwan and had a Taiwanese Resident Permit?

Having a Non Immigrant "O" Visa on the basis that you have a Thai wife is exactly that, not on the basis that you live in Thailand, or so I thought. Same thing for my wife, she has a multiple re-entry visa to UK, I'm just looking for the same thing to Thailand, which I understand is the Thai Spouse Non Immigrant Type "O" Version?

Dr Pat Pong what do you think?

Hi Royar2002,

Thanks for your contribution. I'm not sure how this is all gonna work out. I only plan to be in Bangkok 7 - 10 days, so the chance is if the police turn up at my place I won't be there because I work in Taipei, the same place where the Non Immigrant "O" was issued in the first place, the same place where they wanted proof I worked in Taiwan and had a Taiwanese Resident Permit?

Having a Non Immigrant "O" Visa on the basis that you have a Thai wife is exactly that, not on the basis that you live in Thailand, or so I thought. Same thing for my wife, she has a multiple re-entry visa to UK, I'm just looking for the same thing to Thailand, which I understand is the Thai Spouse Non Immigrant Type "O" Version?

Dr Pat Pong what do you think?

You can get a multiple entry Non-Immigrant O visa that enables unlimited entries for a year, with stays of up to 90 days on each entry. You need to apply for that visa outside Thailand. Produce a copy of your wife's ID card and a copy of the marriage papers.

• 2 months later...
Dr Pat Pong Posted on Fri 2004-04-02, 23:13:31

Let us all know how you go. Good luck.

Today June 4th I visited the Thai Trade Office in Taipei, Taiwan. It is about a 3 hour drive each way from Taichung City where I live and work.

I went to apply for a Non-Immigrant Type ‘O’ Visa on the basis that I am married to a Thai.

I plan to return home to BKK next week.

Some weeks ago I contacted the TTO who had kindly faxed me a list of the documentation that I needed to accompany my application. I spent some weeks gathering the necessary information including originals and translations notarised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

It didn’t take the lady at the TTO long to quickly confirm that she was unable to process my application because we had not been married for at least 3 years. However, she could process my application if I could provide birth certificates of any children we had together or a medical certificate to prove I was sterile.

I quickly looked again at the list of the documentation faxed me:

“ 4. Original and one copy of marriage certificate (in any languages other than Thai or English have to be translated into English).”

There was no mention here of any time limit. I read on

“5. Child’s birth certificate. In case of no child needs hospital vorification of naturally sterile (original and copy) or marriage certificate of marriage more than 3 years (original and copy).”

Of course when I had first read the fax I assumed paragraph 5 did not apply to me since we had no children.

The lady confirmed she wasn’t sure if this rule applied to every Thai Embassy and Consulate but confirmed it was the rule in Taipei. She showed me the applicable rule within the official immigration handbook but this was in Thai, which I cannot read. I asked for a copy so I could get a translation, she said she was not authorised, as the document was confidential. I looked again and noticed the date, this hand book was 9 –10 years old.

There was no interest in the fact that I owned a condo in my own right if I couldn’t prove we had children or I was sterile she could not process my application. I left empty handed.

What sort of rule is this? It makes no sense at all.

What do I do now?

Hi Malcom,

I cannot understand why you are getting the runaround from the Thais.

I went to XXX last aug and even without my savings bank passbook I was given a Multi entry type O.

I showed the lass my rtn ticket which was dated 2 days away, no problem.

I had the visa in hand in 20 minutes.

I am not married but am inadvertantly supporting god knows how many Issaan families :o

the official immigration handbook

Sounds like interesting reading, especially the locally entered amendments and clarifications--------.

Let me see, you either have kids, or you're sterile -- no other possible explanation!! Talk about a new, more ludicrous twist in Thai immigration law.

In my case, I would say although not naturally sterile, I've had a vasectomy. Then, as I dropped my trousers, I would say, 'the vasectomy scars are more easily observed from behind.'

Geezzzzzzzz!

Dr Pat Pong Posted on Fri 2004-04-02, 23:13:31

Let us all know how you go. Good luck.

Today June 4th I visited the Thai Trade Office in Taipei, Taiwan. It is about a 3 hour drive each way from Taichung City where I live and work.

I went to apply for a Non-Immigrant Type ‘O’ Visa on the basis that I am married to a Thai.

I plan to return home to BKK next week.

Some weeks ago I contacted the TTO who had kindly faxed me a list of the documentation that I needed to accompany my application. I spent some weeks gathering the necessary information including originals and translations notarised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

It didn’t take the lady at the TTO long to quickly confirm that she was unable to process my application because we had not been married for at least 3 years. However, she could process my application if I could provide birth certificates of any children we had together or a medical certificate to prove I was sterile.

I quickly looked again at the list of the documentation faxed me:

“ 4. Original and one copy of marriage certificate (in any languages other than Thai or English have to be translated into English).”

There was no mention here of any time limit. I read on

“5. Child’s birth certificate. In case of no child needs hospital vorification of naturally sterile (original and copy) or marriage certificate of marriage more than 3 years (original and copy).”

Of course when I had first read the fax I assumed paragraph 5 did not apply to me since we had no children.

The lady confirmed she wasn’t sure if this rule applied to every Thai Embassy and Consulate but confirmed it was the rule in Taipei. She showed me the applicable rule within the official immigration handbook but this was in Thai, which I cannot read. I asked for a copy so I could get a translation, she said she was not authorised, as the document was confidential. I looked again and noticed the date, this hand book was 9 –10 years old.

There was no interest in the fact that I owned a condo in my own right if I couldn’t prove we had children or I was sterile she could not process my application. I left empty handed.

What sort of rule is this? It makes no sense at all.

What do I do now?

I have never heard of the 3 years of wedded bliss rule, or confirmation of sterility to qualify for a visa on the basis of marriage to a Thai. There's no such rule on other Thai websites that I can find. If you were back in the UK there'd be no difficulties in obtaining a visa there. Are you likely to visit the UK or make a flying trip to Penang ? You could ask MFA in Bangkok to look at the so called rule and make a determination. Such a rule makes no sense, because each annual extension is based on your continuing marriage. That make believe Consulate has few friends in the Taiwanse business community because of their reluctance to issue multiple business visa's to bona fide businessmen. ( who usually get their visa's in Australia these days )

Hi !

If I bring 3 million bahts to get a 1 year visa, suppose I buy a condo registered somewhere.

What will happen the following years as my capital will be locked into the flat ?

Not yet 50 years old

Thank you

Hey! WhoTF censored my previous post to Malcom?? GEEZUS . At least have the guts to mention that my post was edited by a censor sucking up to god knows who.

Am I not permitted to say that some Thais are grossly incompetent and it pisses me off??? :o

Without investing 3 million baht, the system doesn't accommodate you yet.  Sorry to be a wet blanket.    :o  Are you going to go back to visit the USA soon ?

Sorry to break in, but can you elaborate on the 3 Million Baht investment, please?

Do you have to start a company, or is investment in Real Estate (Condo) also ok?

Any more info?

I plan to buy a Condo in Jomtien for a little over 3 Mill, would that ease my Visa process?

Sunny

It should solve you problems.

You can buy a condo in your own name.

Make sure you bring the money in a foreign currecny and keep the exhange document that the bank will issue - you may have chase them for it!!

Read Investment Visa discussion for more details

Hi Malcom.

If you had gone to a CONSUL in Perth, Hull, Birmingham Adelaide or Brisbane,

I'm 99% sure you would have got the visa you needed without the Thai BS "I'm only following orders".

That's what the SS guys said, wasn't it :D

I still want to know who censored my previous post. :o

Hi !

If I bring 3 million bahts to get a 1 year visa, suppose I buy a condo registered somewhere.

What will happen the following years as my capital will be locked into the flat ?

Not yet 50 years old

Thank you

Based on present rules, as long as you retain the property you'll get annual extensions.