Holistic Dentist for amalgam filling removal in Bangkok

yasmarbi

I live 1/2 way between Bangkok and Chiang Mai (close to Phitchit / Phitsanulok border) and would prefer treatment in CM in preference to BKK.

Even closer to home better.

Am looking for options on where I can have all the amalgam / mercury fillings removed and replaced with a more environmentally friendly substance.

Thanks in advance.

Silom Dental in Bangkok do it.

They include vitamin C infusions as well.

Porcelain are probably the best for replacements.

I wouldn't do too many at a time and I would make sure I was well vitamined up beforehand and afterwards as there is always a risk of mercury escaping into the system and causing more problems that the fillings themselves.

If you do it please post back your experience because I have been thinking of doing it for a long time.

"Mercury" fillings are fine..... you have been lead up the garden path as regards to their inappropriateness......however if it's vanity then that's a different matter.

If you say so.

But they are outlawed in some of the Scandinavian countries and there is a lot of research that blames mercury fillings oh a host of medical conditions.

Personally I wouldn't have any new fillings with mercury given that there is a lot of controversy over them.

Why take the risk if you don't have to?

Unless they are giving you problems I would leave them, but if lots of headaches, tiredness you might be ultra sensitive to them then get them out. I would never have any more and some Dentists here in bkk have not used amalgum for years.

Vitamin C infusions and "loading up" with vitamins have no relevance to this. Vict C is a water soluble Vitamin and any access will simply be passed in the urine.

Poisoning or having access heavy metals in the body requires specific and potentially toxic medication.

Removing amalgam fillings may cause the mercury to vaporise which is elemental mercury and the most toxic as it crosses the blood brain barrier. This is a risk for both dentist and patient; be sure to select a dentistry practice well versed and qualified to do this.

This is not a discussion on the pros and cons of removing amalgam fillings so please keep posts on topic.

"Mercury" fillings are fine..... you have been lead up the garden path as regards to their inappropriateness......however if it's vanity then that's a different matter.

If you say so.

But they are outlawed in some of the Scandinavian countries and there is a lot of research that blames mercury fillings oh a host of medical conditions.

Personally I wouldn't have any new fillings with mercury given that there is a lot of controversy over them.

OK - lets be clear....the most persuasive concern about amalgam is the effect on the environment - not humans. It is the disposal as waste of a product containing mercury that is of some concern.

Only ONE scandinavian country has banned mercury of direct human health grounds - that is Sweden...the others are concerned with disposal of waste.

Of the alternatives - Porcelain is very expensive.

Resin is cosmetically more acceptable than mercury but at present has about half the lifespan. There are also concerns here too about the long ten effects on patients of chemicals used in the resin.

From a logical perspective, given that mercury fillings have been used for so long on so many people it would seem that any effects discovered now are going to been pretty small.

..and the alternatives also present similar possible risks......... so I wouldn't go to the lengths of removing perfectly good fillings.

I would through shear vanity though opt for porcelain or resin depending on the tooth if I needed it to look "good".

PS - an acquaintance of mine was involved in a major "thing" in the media about this several years ago (decades in fact) and has since come to believe that he was completely misled by an over-zealous campaigning dentist at the time.

the problem with all this sort of stuff, is it is fodder for quacks....who make a lot of money by doing what is largely unnecessary work.......the fact that bit C was recommended in an earlier post just shows how unscientific and clouded by myth the whole thing is.

Vitamin C infusions and "loading up" with vitamins have no relevance to this. Vict C is a water soluble Vitamin and any access will simply be passed in the urine.

Poisoning or having access heavy metals in the body requires specific and potentially toxic medication.

Removing amalgam fillings may cause the mercury to vaporise which is elemental mercury and the most toxic as it crosses the blood brain barrier. This is a risk for both dentist and patient; be sure to select a dentistry practice well versed and qualified to do this.

This is not a discussion on the pros and cons of removing amalgam fillings so please keep posts on topic.

Vapor it not the main reason against removal of fillings - Fillings are drilled out routinely every time a new one is fitted.

main reason is that you will inevitably interfere with the structure and therefore strength of the remaining tooth, when any wear and tear is to be avoided.

If you say so.

OK - lets be clear....the most persuasive concern about amalgam is the effect on the environment - not humans. It is the disposal as waste of a product containing mercury that is of some concern.

Only ONE scandinavian country has banned mercury of direct human health grounds - that is Sweden...the others are concerned with disposal of waste.

Resin is cosmetically more acceptable than mercury but at present has about half the lifespan. There are also concerns here too about the long ten effects on patients of chemicals used in the resin.

From a logical perspective, given that mercury fillings have been used for so long on so many people it would seem that any effects discovered now are going to been pretty small.

..and the alternatives also present similar possible risks......... so I wouldn't go to the lengths of removing perfectly good fillings.

I would through shear vanity though opt for porcelain or resin depending on the tooth if I needed it to look "good".

PS - an acquaintance of mine was involved in a major "thing" in the media about this several years ago (decades in fact) and has since come to believe that he was completely misled by an over-zealous campaigning dentist at the time.

Norway, Denmark and Sweden all banned mercury so not sure where you found one country!

They are a huge environmental problem and of course many people believe they are a health problem and this is supported in many studies.

In fact many people have experienced better health as a result of removing their old amalgam fillings.

There is a risk in removing them so you do need to find a competent dentist. That is why I question doing it in Thailand?

If you say so.

Norway, Denmark and Sweden all banned mercury so not sure where you found one country!

They are a huge environmental problem and of course many people believe they are a health problem and this is supported in many studies.

In fact many people have experienced better health as a result of removing their old amalgam fillings.

There is a risk in removing them so you do need to find a competent dentist. That is why I question doing it in Thailand?

please read what I posted! Then come back!

Hi, I looked into getting my many, 30+ year amalgams safely replaced when I was last in Bangkok 2009, but didn't do it. At the time, Bumrungrad told me they used rubber dams and high power suction. Now it looks like Thantakit offers a similar process. I'm wondering if anyone has personal experience with these places and this procedure?

I know that not everyone believes that mercury fillings are dangerous, but I'd love to stay away from that conversation. Thank you.

Note again, this is not a post on the pros and cons of amalgam fillings; the OP asked for references to a dental practice where this can be performed safely. It is the OP's right to make this decision, please respect that.

It would be a pity to close the thread due to an "overzealous" poster who insists on going off-topic.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Tolley, I will look into Silom Dental and let you know if I get this done in Thialand - thanks.

I posted this hoping for some advice from people who had their amalgams safely removed in Bangkok (this means the dentist uses specific safety precautions to avoid mercury vapor exposure to self and patient, and is often referred to as a holistic dentist). These aren't precautions that most conventional dentists use when removing amalgams.

I am not here for advice on if you think it is a good idea to get the fillings out. I know bringing up the subject of amalgams always generates strong feelings on both sides. Just looking for practical info! Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
If you can't find a reputable place in Chiang Mai and are in doubt, then might as well have it done in first rate dental clinics in Bangkok. And I second Thantakit. Had an amalgam filling done and was very satisfied with it. Dentists were professional and didn't constantly upsell, not to mention the free shuttle van pickup that they offer! :)