Bangkok: Over 300 arrested and fined for texting and talking while driving

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I saw 3 girls on one motorbike the other day. 

ALL THREE WERE TEXTING! alt=blink.png>

It's a commercial for AIS and DTAC to promote sales. laugh.png

What about the umbrella brigade who ride 1 handed in the rain not to mention the numerous tots you see wedged between the seat and handlebars with no crash helmet surely 2 violations there,no make that 3 incompetent parents must be the 3rd.

I have even seen a farang let the kiddie steer the bike as he holds onto the tot.

And we all know a motorcycle is designed to carry 2 persons only not 4 or more,just think of the lost revenue these thais miss out on,but then it's up to them as the saying goes.wai2.gif

I was about to make a left hand turn into a one-way street whilst talking on the mobile phone yesterday and the police man sitting on his scooter waving his arms about never said a thing about the phone!   I guess they haven't got the message about mobile phones and driving in Phitsanulok yet!

Looks like you haven't got the message either ... or a clue.

• Like 1

I was about to make a left hand turn into a one-way street whilst talking on the mobile phone yesterday and the police man sitting on his scooter waving his arms about never said a thing about the phone!   I guess they haven't got the message about mobile phones and driving in Phitsanulok yet!

You feel what you do is safe?

• Like 1

What's the problem with using a mobile phone for anything when parked, stationary, out of gear and the handbrake on, at those so frequent and endless 10 minute red lights in BKK?!?!?!?!

I guess the problem is really making oneself a sitting duck to be a sacrificial lamb for loitering around a red light district in BKK

I saw 3 girls on one motorbike the other day. 

ALL THREE WERE TEXTING!blink.png

Are you sure they weren't SEXTING? That's much more of a distraction (for you, that is).

It was a conference call if you don't mind.

What's the problem with using a mobile phone for anything when parked, stationary, out of gear and the handbrake on, at those so frequent and endless 10 minute red lights in BKK?!?!?!?!

Agreed this should only be a violation if you are moving.

Obviously it is more akin to using a mobile phone while in charge of a vehicle.

One programme I watched recently on UK television informed that even if you use your mobile phone while stopped at the roadside you will get a fine. Maybe the Thai authorities are heading more in this direction.

Statistics from around the world suggest more accidents are caused by people on mobile phones while driving than any other reason. That being the case is it not sensible to stop using the phone while driving?

Driving in Thailand is hazardous enough without the added distraction of using a mobile phone at the same time, isn't it? We hear enough complaints about the way Thai people drive. Does this new clampdown not make you a bit happier?

300 drivers caught is a start. When the authorities discover how much money they can make from this they might be more diligent in catching people.

I do like the idea they have a photo of you committing the offence.

• Like 1

Wow -- all these posters who whine and want Thailand to crack down on things (of course they will whine more when Thailand is more like the west when it comes to enforcement of laws) now find ways to whine when they do crack down. Would seem some people just like to whine given I see only one positive or understanding comment about enforcing a law that is very commonly enforced in the west.

Yes first they complain because Thai's don't do it like where they come from then if the Thai's start to do it that way they complain about that.

There are people who would complain if you gave them a 1,000,000 baht in 500 baht notes because they want it in 1,000 baht notes.

300 is really not that much but it is a start. They have other areas to start on also. But let's face it folks Rome wasn't built in a day and the NCPO can not correct all the problems they were handed in a day It has taken years to build them and will take a few years to fix them. Even then due to the Human factor there will still be some and new scallywags coming along to be slapped down. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

You Dickhead

A girl road into my truck when she was talking on her phone with no helmet on and had no license and the tax on the bike was not payed up. 

What hope is there to get Thais to do the right thing not much i can see.

Did YOU get fined for being there!

I guess the problem is really making oneself a sitting duck to be a sacrificial lamb for loitering around a red light district in BKK

Can one be a duck and lamb at the same time? tasty