Obama authorises US air strikes on Iraq Islamic extremists

webfact

Obama authorises US air strikes on Iraq Islamic extremists

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Thursday he had authorised US air strikes on Iraq and humanitarian supply drops to prevent a "genocide" by Islamist extremists against minorities.

"We can act, carefully and responsibly, to prevent a potential act of genocide," Obama said, referring to the attacks against the besieged Yazidi minority.

"I therefore authorised targeted air strikes if necessary to help forces in Iraq as they fight to break the siege and protect the civilians trapped there," Obama said.

Obama, who did not say whether air strikes have been carried out, said US forces have already started to drop food and water to Iraqis racing to flee the so-called Islamic State fighters.

"Earlier this week, one Iraqi in the area cried to the world, there is no one coming to help. Well, today America is coming to help," Obama said.

Full story: http://www.enca.com/obama-authorizes-us-air-strikes-iraq

-- eNCA 2014-08-08

• Like 2

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Christians are rising up, thank god for the world Police the USA. All the UN and NATO do is condemn the murders and attacks, however they don't seem to do much. I see where the UK may be sending troops back to Afghanistan.

A city in Iran is being surrounded by the terrorists. The people mainly Christians are fleeing the city and the USA are dropping food and water to them.

Obama has stated there are Americans in the Consulate in that city. I would hate to see what happens if they are killed and what the repercussions would be from the Americans.

• Like 2

Just a small step too far I think.

I also think that the UK Con/Lib/Dem government may have a problem in sending UK troops back to Afghanistan especially as they are committed to withdrawing by end December and even more especially as they are making redundancies across all 3 services.

• Like 1

ISIS intends to wipe them all out. It is not about numbers as you well know.

Who says?blink.png

Edited by metisdead
16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.
  • Like 1

Who says?blink.png

This bloke, among others.

"We are being told to convert or to lose our heads," said Khuldoon Atyas, who has stayed behind to guard his family's crops. "There is no one coming to help."

That is not "intent to wipe them out". It is an attempt to convert them to their factitious form of Islam.

Who says?blink.png

This bloke, among others.

"We are being told to convert or to lose our heads," said Khuldoon Atyas, who has stayed behind to guard his family's crops. "There is no one coming to help."

That is not "intent to wipe them out". It is an attempt to convert them to their factitious form of Islam.

....errr, you forgot the beheading part if they decide not to convert. Yeah...it is an attempt to wipe them out.

....errr, you forgot to mention the bit about if they choose not to convert, they can either pay taxes (jizya) or leave.

Sectarian cleansing I believe its called, should come as no great surprise, the Saudis I believe were the first Islamic state to order sectarian cleansing.

....errr, you forgot the beheading part if they decide not to convert. Yeah...it is an attempt to wipe them out.

....errr, you forgot to mention the bit about if they choose not to convert, they can either pay taxes (jizya) or leave.

Sectarian cleansing I believe its called, should come as no great surprise, the Saudis I believe were the first Islamic state to order sectarian cleansing.

So let the Iraqis sort it out. If they want to.

The Iranians will sort it out, rising blood pressure in Riyadh Tel Aviv or Washington at that little scenario playing out.

Iraq just becomes another province of Iran.

Actually that's precisely the reason it's falling apart - that's exactly what Maliki was making it.

So let the Iraqis sort it out. If they want to.

Iraq just becomes another province of Iran.

I would like to see that. thumbsup.gif

The Christians are rising up, thank god for the world Police the USA. All the UN and NATO do is condemn the murders and attacks, however they don't seem to do much. I see where the UK may be sending troops back to Afghanistan.

A city in Iran is being surrounded by the terrorists. The people mainly Christians are fleeing the city and the USA are dropping food and water to them.

Obama has stated there are Americans in the Consulate in that city. I would hate to see what happens if they are killed and what the repercussions would be from the Americans.

I would hate to see what happens if they are killed and what the repercussions would be from the Americans.

Probably similar to Bengazi when Hillary and Obama missed all the warnings and blamed a youtube video then did nothing even though the ambassador was one of the dead.

Where it really gets confusing is that, according to Senator Rand Paul US has been arming ISIS so will those weapons now be used against the US?blink.png

Exactly 100% true. But these other dumb ar$es just don't see or get it. blink.png

• Like 2

As for your reference to Assad. He would have been gone 2 years ago if that were the wish of the MAJORITY of Syrians. But it aint. So he is doing something right by his people. Maybe handing out vouchers for Harrod's.wink.png

Clearly not a lot of point having a conversation with someone so amazingly ill-informed.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just a legal question... Can Obama decide air strikes by himself, or does it have to be approved by congress?

Obama after creating over 1000 executive orders is all but a dictator, he can and does do whatever pleases his fancy. It's just a shame that his fancy is not to pull the plug on Israel.

There's not a lot of point coming here telling outright lies now is there?

President Obama has issued 184 orders so far in his presidency. His predecessor, President George W. Bush, issued 291 orders over eight years, while President Bill Clinton had 364 executive orders during his two terms in office.

My apologies. That was a typo, I did not know the exact amount and meant totype 100+.

Just a legal question... Can Obama decide air strikes by himself, or does it have to be approved by congress?

Obama after creating over 1000 executive orders is all but a dictator, he can and does do whatever pleases his fancy. It's just a shame that his fancy is not to pull the plug on Israel.

There's not a lot of point coming here telling outright lies now is there?

President Obama has issued 184 orders so far in his presidency. His predecessor, President George W. Bush, issued 291 orders over eight years, while President Bill Clinton had 364 executive orders during his two terms in office.

Where are your quotes from? Source helps to verify and belief.

Where are your quotes from? Source helps to verify and belief.

Look it up yourself, it's public record.

Added: Just for Asiantravel....

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2014/08/president-obamas-use-of-executive-orders-in-historical-terms/

Edited by Chicog

erm………….I don’t think rethaier is the one telling untruths here ?ermm.gif

Barack Obama's 923 Executive Orders

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/barackobama/a/Barack-Obamas-Executive-Orders.htm

You've just linked to a post that debunks the statement.

What's your point?

Viral text claims President Obama signed 923 executive orders in the first 40 months of his presidency, many times more than any other president to date.

Description: Viral text

Circulating since:June 2012

Edited by Chicog