Has Anybody Traveled to Long Tieng in Laos in Recent Times ?

DavoTheGun

I want to visit Long Tieng in Laos as was there in 1969, tried to go about 10 Years ago but was stopped within 10K by Military, I understand it is now OK but not wise to take own car better to hire or get someone to drive you !

Anybody out there been ?  No off Travel Agent maybe ??

I've never been to Long Tieng, but I'd like to go and see what remains of it.

During the war it had a population of almost 50,000 making it the second largest city in Laos, but it was never marked on any map.

Its mile-long asphalt all-weather airstrip had more traffic than Chicago's O'Hare... That's what I heard from ex-USAF guys that I knew when I first came here.

Did you know Bill Young?  He picked the location and developed it, didn't he?

The strip is still intact, In fact i understand the Military still use it sometimes, Bill did develop the site sort of, but the Hmong General whoa name escapes me at the moment also had a big hand in it as he had a large contingent based there in the Mountains.

I flew Caribou, Porter, and Beech Baron in 1969./ 70 + ,   

I also understand there is a tour company in Vientiane who go there, but stuffed if I can find out who,  on the Google Map now but no closeups !

Well, I RONed at Long Tieng in June one night, drove up from Vientiane area.  Sure is quiet these days.

Access still semi restricted but I've been through there a number of times over the last eight years so do know some foks who ease the way in.

I did ask about access this last trip.  Reply was that given that 2015 has already been declared VISIT XAYSOMBOUN YEAR, it will probably be opened up.

Part of the reason is that the former Xaysomboun District is now Xaysomboun Province, with the head shed in old Xaysomboun town, now known as Anouvong, old Moung Cha, LS-113.  I've spent many a night here since 2006 at the pretty decent one star Phu Bia Hotel.  At least it has the essentials, hot water, sitter shitter, and Sat TV so my wife can catch the Thai soaps if she's along.  Could be a problem these days, tho, getting a room, might have more visitors since it's a provincial capital now.

Mac

The strip is still intact, In fact i understand the Military still use it sometimes, Bill did develop the site sort of, but the Hmong General whoa name escapes me at the moment also had a big hand in it as he had a large contingent based there in the Mountains.

I flew Caribou, Porter, and Beech Baron in 1969./ 70 + ,   

I also understand there is a tour company in Vientiane who go there, but stuffed if I can find out who,  on the Google Map now but no closeups !

Hmong General... Vang Pao?

go to the gt riders forum and the laos section;

there u will see that they did it an how and photos of what the place looks like

I tried last year to go from jars site 3 but the roads were just to f#@ked up to make it

U need advance special permission.

Issues?  Depends somewhat on type of vehicle, 4 wheels are easier than 2 wheels, depending on your crossing point.

First off you need a car "passport," obtainable at your local Land Transport Department.  Then fill out some paperwork on the Thai side, cross over to Laos, a bit more paperwork, buy temporary Lao insurance, and be on your way.

Speaking of Long Tieng, more photos, text, and a short video, done by a friend who accompanied me in last March, and again in June.

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-ride-reports/5890-laos-long-cheng-thai-lao-cambodia-brotherhood-tlcb.html

Mac