How to record CTH AND Truevisions programmes?

Bredbury Blue

For many years I've used my trusty Panasonic vcr to record tv programmes. Just had some bad news today that Panasonic no longer have the part and can't fix it. So I need to find a new way to record the occasional tv programme off Truevisions and the early morning Man City games off CTH (to be enjoyed at a more reasonable hour).

Anybody have any suggestions of what I should do now to record off CTH and Truevisions?

Anything anybody suggests I buy to do this, has to be sourceable in Thailand. I went in Central's electrical section and got a 'may mee' when I asked for a recorder.

Suggestions please.

Is the some reason you don't want to use the Truevisions PVR -- TrueVisions PVR (Personal Video Recorder) FAQ

You 'could' purchase a 3rd-Party PVR (with a Hard Drive) that connects to your Cable or Satellite Set Top Box via Composite Video, the better Component Video, or even HDMI, but the issue with the two latter choices will be Copy Protection protocols that will keep the video from being seen on many programs, preventing the unit from recording anything but black for the duration of the program.

The Truevisions PVR is a 'sealed system' so they let you record whatever you want as the PVR will maintain the Copy Protection of the program (it can only be viewed in HiRes on an HDMI HDCP-compliant Display.

Thanks for your reply.

I might later try the Truevisions PVR as a last resort, but I don't really want to pay the extra for it and then find out it doesn't work with recording CTH.

Since posting I've discovered that the wife has a Leona Digital TV Set Box RV004. The kids and I watch western programmes from CTH and Truevisions on the tv downstairs, and the wife watches Thai CH3 on the tv upstairs. I saw the RV004 box next to her tv and never paid any interest to it. Anyway I just tried recording a tv programme (coming from a tv signal from the aerial on the roof) to my external HD at it worked fine - only problem was all messages popping up were in Thai but I guessed my way through the process).

Tomorrow when the wife is in a good mood I'll get her to help (translate pop up messages) and try the RV004 downstairs with both CTH and Truevisions and hopefully it will work...fingers crossed...something tells me it wont be that easy though.

I have CTH solely for watching the Premier League games (so my hasn't been used for last 3 months), nothing else really. We use Truevisions for most of our viewing. What I want to record the MOST is the football games on CTH at 3am...I used to video the games and then get up and watch them at 5am before going to work.

I don't really need to record Truevisions programmes though it would be nice if I could.

So I'm looking for a way to record CTH, and if possible CTH and Truevisions (hence why I've never bothered with Truevisions PVR).

Some HD DVB-S2 Satellite Set Top Boxes have a built-in option of recording to USB HD or USB Flash Memory.

You might want to take a look at some of the CTH partners, like PSI, GMMz, and IPM and see if they can be used to receive the CTH subscription package AND record them (Time Shift).

My IPM HD box does this, but I don't have any subscriptions beyond IPM.

Text from the HD Satellite STB for GMM Z HD (CTH)

The system PVR (recording) can be recorded via the External harddisk Port USB 2.0 (with USB 2 Port - after).

Edited by RichCor

Good Morning All,

I also want to record some spicific new items from CNA. I watch it using a IPM box.

the IPM box has 2 USB ports on the back plus the HDMI I use to connect to my TV.

Can anyone tell me how to set up / connect to the USB port and record a progran to my Thumb drive or portable HD.

No manual came with the box, as usuall!

thanks

I bought a Samsung DVD player/recorder when i came to Thailand and used it to record programmes off Truevisions onto its 160gb harddrive.. I am sure it would work equally well with CTH. I had to set each timed recording manually though which was a bit fiddly. Since then however i have got Truvisions own PVR which is MUCH better. The menu system is so easy to use and you can add an unlimited number of 2.5in storage drives. Well worth the 99 baht a month. This would not work with CTH though.

• Like 1

Finding a DVD player/recorder to buy in Thailand would be great but in every shop we ask its always no have. Anybody know where I can buy one in Bkk?

Just spent the afternoon trying to work out how to download tv progammes to laptop with Windows Media Centre but turns out I need to buy a tv tuner to plug in to the computer. Where can I buy in Bkk?

All becoming very frustrating. ..wish I could just buy a new vcr!!!

[...]

Just spent the afternoon trying to work out how to download tv progammes to laptop with Windows Media Centre but turns out I need to buy a tv tuner to plug in to the computer. Where can I buy in Bkk?

A Digital TV Tuner would only allow you to receive unencrypted Cable or local Free-to-Air DTV broadcasts via aerial antenna, both of which would be primarily in Thai. That, and you DON'T NEED a tuner to watch downloaded shows, only to record them 'live'.

Windows Media Centre isn't known for being on the hacking edge for so isn't out-of-the-box ready to receive anything amazing like streamed video.

There are much better ALTERNATIVES to Windows Media Centre that actually work when you run them. XBMC, PopcornTime, ilikehd, along with web or app-based iptv streaming come to mind. Take a look at these ThaiVisa threads for more information:

Started by Pinot, 2014-07-28 22:51 -- 27 replies

Watch Global TV (Android Box)

Started by josephbloggs, 2014-05-13 21:27 -- 61 replies
Started by kalbo123, 2014-05-03 08:52 -- 21 replies

Some of the local cable services even have Internet-based services that allow you to view programs originally broadcast up to 72-hours ago. Yes, DVRs are convenient if you remembered to set the device, otherwise there are 'other' ways of watching what you want when you want.

Is the some reason you don't want to use the Truevisions PVR -- TrueVisions PVR (Personal Video Recorder) FAQ

You 'could' purchase a 3rd-Party PVR (with a Hard Drive) that connects to your Cable or Satellite Set Top Box via Composite Video, the better Component Video, or even HDMI, but the issue with the two latter choices will be Copy Protection protocols that will keep the video from being seen on many programs, preventing the unit from recording anything but black for the duration of the program.

The Truevisions PVR is a 'sealed system' so they let you record whatever you want as the PVR will maintain the Copy Protection of the program (it can only be viewed in HiRes on an HDMI HDCP-compliant Display.

I would love to use the True PVR, but I went to the shop a few days ago asking for the Super Sport pkg, which would be perfect for me and costs only around 500 a month. When I asked about the PVR, which I absolutely need, they said sorry, only with gold and platinum pkg. As the communication with Thai are very limited, I would like to ask you if you know the reason for this and if it would be maybe possible to purchase the PVR box or find another solution. I want to be able to record, but I don't want to get the gold package, I really don't need it.

Thank you very much for your kind answers

I would love to use the True PVR, but I went to the shop a few days ago asking for the Super Sport pkg, which would be perfect for me and costs only around 500 a month. When I asked about the PVR, which I absolutely need, they said sorry, only with gold and platinum pkg. As the communication with Thai are very limited, I would like to ask you if you know the reason for this and if it would be maybe possible to purchase the PVR box or find another solution. I want to be able to record, but I don't want to get the gold package, I really don't need it.

Thank you very much for your kind answers

You can easily buy the box and hard drives elsewhere (i did) but Truevisions have to set it up on their system to record (that's why you pay 99 baht a month). Clearly this is a facility only available to their gold/plat customers, which seems fair enough, you pay more you get a better service.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you will find a third party PVR, due to the HDMI restricitions

so the True version is your only choice

No option for long term archive. bah.gif

From above "I don't really need to record Truevisions programmes though it would be nice if I could. So I'm looking for a way to record CTH, and if possible CTH and Truevisions (hence why I've never bothered with Truevisions PVR)."

I've been told i should have no trouble recording CTH with a DVR...i now just need to find a DVR here.

Finding a DVD player/recorder to buy in Thailand would be great but in every shop we ask its always no have. Anybody know where I can buy one in Bkk?

I used a Sony VCR for years, when i wanted a new one everyone treated me like an idiot. so i kept getting it repaired.

Actually I have just thrown it out while still working.

I now know why they are not available. The SMART TV's now have built in recording. Mine only has 5 hours per go, So I have to set the alarm to start another session if what I want exceeds 5 hours.

I have an LG. other makers may offer more.

For recording stuff from the PC I use a screen recorder, works very well, can't advertise here i believe although it is free ? Re[paly via USB on TV

I bought a Samsung DVD player/recorder when i came to Thailand and used it to record programmes off Truevisions onto its 160gb harddrive.. I am sure it would work equally well with CTH. I had to set each timed recording manually though which was a bit fiddly. Since then however i have got Truvisions own PVR which is MUCH better. The menu system is so easy to use and you can add an unlimited number of 2.5in storage drives. Well worth the 99 baht a month. This would not work with CTH though.

Hi Chris

Thanks for your comment.

I just jumped on the forum to ask this question and you've almost answered it for me.

I've just had a Truvisions connected and am keen to record. Mostly movies with the Thai subtitle so my girl and I can enjoy a movie together with any translation issues.

Can I please ask you three things?

1) You original DVD Player/Recorder - were you able to record anything from Truvisions, including the subtitles?

2) Could you share the content with other devices - e.g. PC?

3) From what I've read - there are issues with the Truvisions inhouse system in terms of sharing content? Have you tried to take a show from your hdd and play elsewhere?

Thanks so much!

Tuskfish. With the Truevisions box you can output a standard tv signal. If you feed this into a DVR you can record the signal complete with any sub titles. You can then play back the signal through any monitor, tv or pc. I never tried to show elsewhere but in theory you can play back the signal anywhere using a portable hard drive. There may be copy right issues however if not for personal use.

Having said i have not seen a DVR for sale in Thailand for some time but they must be available.

• Like 1

Someone messaged me that he could use his DVR to record from Truevisions and from CTH, and that “I just phoned the Thai salesman at Numchai that I bought my Panasonic TV from.They stock two DVRs:

Panasonic DMR EH59 14,990 Baht

Panasonic DMR EH69 18,990 Baht

Think Numchai is in Pattaya. I’m still looking in the Bangna area but so far not found a Panasonic DVR. Looks like I’ll have to give Panasonic HQ in BKK and ask where can I get one from in my area.

• 5 months later...

I've just had True installed and looking to go the True PVR route. Was quite surprised to see that you actually have to buy and attach a separate E-SATA HDD when you want to use it. Boxes I've used in UK, France and Malaysia come with integral HDDs. Very odd.

Only bonus I suppose is that they said activating the PVR is free on the Gold Package.

I've just had True installed and looking to go the True PVR route. Was quite surprised to see that you actually have to buy and attach a separate E-SATA HDD when you want to use it. Boxes I've used in UK, France and Malaysia come with integral HDDs. Very odd.

Only bonus I suppose is that they said activating the PVR is free on the Gold Package.

Actually that is an advantage because you are not limited to a built in HDD. I have 3 1TB external hard drives which i switch as required, only takes a few seconds. In effect you have unlimited storage capacity.

A cheap and cheerful hack, is to use the A/V output (or hdmi) on your set top box to a USB capture card and save it to your PC/Win Tablet hard disk with say VLC and then play it back on VLC or any number of other media apps i.e Kodi/xbmc .. Mediacare (www.mc.co.th) sell capture cards for most win boxes at TH 1,600 ..

Edited by joncl