XBMC is dead, long live Kodi

dharmabm

Their site says there were legal problems because “XBMC” was originally based on the name Xbox so they never had any sort of control over the use of its name, which resulted in a whole slew of problems.

Their site says there were legal problems because “XBMC” was originally based on the name Xbox so they never had any sort of control over the use of its name, which resulted in a whole slew of problems.

Yes but not from Microsoft as you may assume .. rather it was a trademark objection from BMC software..

The Kodi image is OK but this is only a sample shown above and here below - and off topic a bit I released a RTE player this week too for XBMC (Kodi) 14 in our repo at http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/threads/25533-RELEASE-MX-RTE-Player

rte3.png

why can't they make it more user friendly...you need a computer science degree to load anything on to it.

cheesy.gif Because reading the manual would be so not male like?

A. Rename your files using a bot.

B. Add them to your XBMC

C. Update the covers

Done.

I'm sorry to go off topic but I'm a new convert to xbmc or should I say Kodi now. I bought a fully loaded box as a Truevisions replacement and as learned about the software I thought I'd try building my own box. Last Friday I went to pantip picked up a tv box for 4000 baht and after a couple of hours reading xbmchub had created a setup that blows the socks off the preprogrammed box I bought. I view myself as computer illiterate and not tech savvy. I still have some minor issues with my "build" but I think it's more related to the box I bought rather than the xbmc setup.

I wish I'd known about this along time ago as the choices you get with xbmc are incredible, blow any other 'cable service' away and it's free.

I'm sorry to go off topic but I'm a new convert to xbmc or should I say Kodi now. I bought a fully loaded box as a Truevisions replacement and as learned about the software I thought I'd try building my own box. Last Friday I went to pantip picked up a tv box for 4000 baht and after a couple of hours reading xbmchub had created a setup that blows the socks off the preprogrammed box I bought. I view myself as computer illiterate and not tech savvy. I still have some minor issues with my "build" but I think it's more related to the box I bought rather than the xbmc setup.

I wish I'd known about this along time ago as the choices you get with xbmc are incredible, blow any other 'cable service' away and it's free.

yeah man, that confirms it.. it's not all that hard.

what most people seem to have issues with is that they do not name their files properly

I tend to put all my movie files in one folder and the TV files in their own seperate folder, ie: D:\Movies for movies and D:\TV\name of show for shows.

if you need any help with naming and such, i personally use Sickbeard to rename TV shows and "Media Companion" to get the covers, info and wallpapers for my movies.

being computer illiterate is not exactly a problem.. as long as you look around most people can figure those things out

Edited by kekalot

I tend to put all my movie files in one folder and the TV files in their own seperate folder, ie: D:\Movies for movies and D:\TV\name of show for shows.

if you need any help with naming and such, i personally use Sickbeard to rename TV shows and "Media Companion" to get the covers, info and wallpapers for my movies.

Why bother renaming anything?

The scraper does the job in XBMC for you.

Me too, but I started from scratch, mid-level gaming PC for about 20k.

Gigabyte G1 Sniper A88X mobo

G Skill DDR3 2400 8GB (2x4)

AmD a10 6800 quad core processor

3TB WD Red hard drive

Coolmaster EVO 212 CPU cooler.

Asus Radeon R7250 1GB DDR5 graphics (didn't really need this as CPU has the same integrated but slower memory)

Watching Tv using XBMC,playing sniper elite 3 and Battlefield 4.

Oh yeah, Kodi name is pants, they should have stuck with XBMC.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

if you want to leave XBMC to scrape stuff up, up to you?

i prefer having the files (tbn, nfo and fanart) locally already so XBMC does not even have to scrape them

don't know about you but the amount of files needing to be scraped for me would be in the thousands and it is not needed to be done if you already have the files on the drive

which means it will not need to rescrape everytime you format or bring that drive to someone elses computer.

Edited by kekalot

if you want to leave XBMC to scrape stuff up, up to you?

i prefer having the files (tbn, nfo and fanart) locally already so XBMC does not even have to scrape them

don't know about you but the amount of files needing to be scraped for me would be in the thousands and it is not needed to be done if you already have the files on the drive

which means it will not need to rescrape everytime you format or bring that drive to someone elses computer.

you can save the info.

• 11 months later...

Love Kodi in combination with Yatse. Bought the unlocker for a mere 130 baht and can now stream all movies and tv shows from my tablet to my Sony home theater. Plus Yatse organizes all your stuff visually.

Edited by sniffdog

Have just download Kodi 15.0 and it works perfectly on Windows 7. I have reserved my download for Windows 10, which is due on 29/7, I know I don't have to install it straight away.

Has anybody got Kodi working with windows 10, and if so were there any problems ?

• 2 weeks later...

Love Kodi in combination with Yatse. Bought the unlocker for a mere 130 baht and can now stream all movies and tv shows from my tablet to my Sony home theater. Plus Yatse organizes all your stuff visually.

I'm liking Yatse with Kodi 15 on Android. I haven't bought the unlocker (nor know what it is?) but I notice Yatse seems to do absolutely everything already in free version? However one thing I cannot get to work is to start Kodi from Android if this is even possible at all, so I still need a mouse or other remote for that?

* Is is possible to start Kodi with Yatse?

Have just download Kodi 15.0 and it works perfectly on Windows 7. I have reserved my download for Windows 10, which is due on 29/7, I know I don't have to install it straight away.

Has anybody got Kodi working with windows 10, and if so were there any problems ?

Having Windows 10 installed yesterday, I can confirm that Kodi works perfect (just like it did on Windows 8.1).

I have Kodi installed on Windows 10 and Yatse (and the unlocker) on my Android Samsung Note Pro tablet. Not quite sure what you mean by starting it up, but you still have to run Kodi manually from within Windows.

The unlocker provides several important features like streaming to a compatible ‎UPnP device. I simply run Yatse and run series and movies from my tablet to my Sony hometheater over Wifi without any need of HDMI cables (this is not supported on the vanilla Yatse). Furthermore you can wireless move files from your Windows PC to a local device (like a tablet or phone) to watch it locally. Also this is not supported on the standard Yatse.

For more info: http://yatse.tv/redmine/projects/yatse/wiki/UsingYatse

Read the streaming and offline medias section.

Edited by sniffdog

I have Kodi installed on Windows 10 and Yatse (and the unlocker) on my Android Samsung Note Pro tablet. Not quite sure what you mean by starting it up, but you still have to run Kodi manually from within Windows.

The unlocker provides several important features like streaming to a compatible ‎UPnP device. I simply run Yatse and run series and movies from my tablet to my Sony hometheater over Wifi without any need of HDMI cables (this is not supported on the vanilla Yatse). Furthermore you can wireless move files from your Windows PC to a local device (like a tablet or phone) to watch it locally. Also this is not supported on the standard Yatse.

For more info: http://yatse.tv/redmine/projects/yatse/wiki/UsingYatse

Read the streaming and offline medias section.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. I don't think I will need the unblocker features but now I understand more of their capabilities. Absolutely appreciate all the other free features that Yatse offers and ease of use on an Android Kodi box.

I haven't tried Yatse with Kodi under Windows but only with Kodi15 on an Android Box HDML connected to a TV. The Kodi is used mainly for streaming live TV and attached network media storage movies/TVs programs. By starting it up I really meant quite simply the power button middle of screen on Yatse, whilst seemingly able to shut down Kodi, seems unable to start it? I suppose that is understandable since how could Yatse communicate with Kodi that isn't running? But I asked just in case since when I press the power button with Kodi switched off, Yatse gives 2 messages (captured below) suggesting it is trying to turn Kodi on but never can - unless I misunderstand the messages? (It would be nice if it could, since I wouldn't need another remote to do it!)

post-21581-0-08540400-1438921769_thumb.p post-21581-0-42886100-1438921783_thumb.p