What is a safe investment for a Thai expat?

In between the line of one of these threads I found a quote of Ghandi " most people die at age 25..... They just don't get burried until they are 85'"

It seems very necessary that you (OP?) work yourself out the catagory "most people".

Time to start living again. Who cares about investing. For what???

Invest in yourself and get rid of that boredom. Find a project that exites you, so that you are dying to work on it when you wake up in the morning, rather then turning around and try to sleep again.

You are in the fortunate situation that you don't have to worry about finances. Make use of it !!! Start living again.!! Life is too precious to waste !!

Good example: myself. I am living in the US, though european background. I am 73 years old. Financial in the same situation as you. Two years ago I decided to make another change in my life, looked for a Thai gf (not 35 or so) , found my princess and decided to eventually retire in Thailand, with her, (if she wants to). Now I grow coffee and macadamia nuts up north

• Like 2

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gold ? Gold is usually a good investment, the Thais/Chinese always tend to lean that way with surplus cash.

Just a thought.

Guess you've been sleeping for the past 2 years.

actually it's exactly three years since Gold was quoted $1,900/ounce. looking at today's price of $1,300+ it seems that the attribut "usually good investment" does not exactly apply.

I am no expert but since the price has dipped now wouldnt it be the time to buy?

Even if the gold price hasnt reached its absolute bottom now wouldnt it be a good bet to assume it might be somewhat better in 20 years time?

I guess i have the simple view but i would much rather buy at $1300 than$1900

Gold and Silver are the best and have outperformed all other investments in the last 10 years. Gold is more popular in Thailand and SE Asia. Yes, gold was up to $1900/ounce and now down to $1308 or so and what better reason to buy it. You don't buy when it is at its peak, you buy when it has a drop. Look at a chart to see what it did from $200/ounce until now and know that once the manipulaiton ends which is coming near you will see Gold rise again! Buy Gold as it is the only real currency!

Golds real value now, after all the printing worldwide, is more likely $5,000 per ounce.

I believe it gets there in the next 3 to 5 years and I have my bets placed with IAG, which has a new mine producing at $850 - $900 per ounce, as their last press release indicated,

there is $1,350 to overcome, and then $1,420

I see a sharp rise after those levels are breached, assuming I am still alive and solvent between then and now

When I said the Dow was going to 18,000, publicly in a press release, people laughed

When I said Ford at $9.00 was headed to $18.00 people scoffed.

Scoffers and laughers are usually not players

• Like 2

Gold and Silver are the best and have outperformed all other investments in the last 10 years. Gold is more popular in Thailand and SE Asia. Yes, gold was up to $1900/ounce and now down to $1308 or so and what better reason to buy it. You don't buy when it is at its peak, you buy when it has a drop. Look at a chart to see what it did from $200/ounce until now and know that once the manipulaiton ends which is coming near you will see Gold rise again! Buy Gold as it is the only real currency!

Golds real value now, after all the printing worldwide, is more likely $5,000 per ounce.

I believe it gets there in the next 3 to 5 years and I have my bets placed with IAG, which has a new mine producing at $850 - $900 per ounce, as their last press release indicated,

I see a sharp rise after those levels are breached, assuming I am still alive and solvent between then and now

When I said the Dow was going to 18,000, publicly in a press release, people laughed

Most people listen to and believe the mainstream media's talking points without looking behind the curtain. New supply of precious metal has not kept up with demand for years. Central Banks have been depleting their reserves, when they run out ( and they will ) how much will gold and silver be worth when you can't get any at any price. The East has been buying while the West has been selling. When the general population of western countries realizes their money isn't worth the paper it's printed on, demand for PM's will overwhelm the available supply. How much will gold and silver be worth then? I believe 5,000 per ounce of gold is a conservative estimate. Silver is actually more rare than gold and has more uses. $200.00 per ounce of silver which is 10 times the spot price now may be a under estimate as well.

Most people listen to and believe the mainstream media's talking points without looking behind the curtain. New supply of precious metal has not kept up with demand for years. Central Banks have been depleting their reserves, when they run out ( and they will ) how much will gold and silver be worth when you can't get any at any price. The East has been buying while the West has been selling. When the general population of western countries realizes their money isn't worth the paper it's printed on, demand for PM's will overwhelm the available supply. How much will gold and silver be worth then? I believe 5,000 per ounce of gold is a conservative estimate. Silver is actually more rare than gold and has more uses. $200.00 per ounce of silver which is 10 times the spot price now may be a under estimate as well.

a friend suggested Endeavor Silver, EXK

I am forced to state it has a very strong chart,

but I prefer Agnico Eagle, AEM

If you are confident in the future of the Thai economy you should purchase TTF (Thai Fund Inc.) shares in the USA. They have paid a good dividend in the past and value will increase as soon as positive news about the economy will become more evident..If not already done you may set up easily an account with one of the low cost brokers in the USA.

Simon

You should continue with the industry you do best in.

I recommend property funds to you.

These funds invest in hotels, buildings, such as the world trade center, office buildings, department stores, etc. Their income is primarily from the rent and their fees are basically just renovation and maintenance which is very low.

A few pick up from the top of my head,

POPF

CPNCG

CPNRF

MJLF

The hotels I will not recommend to you now, because of the recent crisis, their performance has been very low. I have bought the Marriot hotels, and it gave 7-8% dividends per year before the political crisis started. I have since sold them, and not yet recommend them yet, because no significant improvements yet. They are goldpf, ctaraf, qhop

All you need to do is open an account with a securities brokerage firm, just like opening a bank account. English service, I think mbket is the best. All the websites and programs are in English, very easy to buy.

These generally yield 5-9% dividends, and you check their performance by their nav each month. So it's certainly more exciting than your bank accounts and could be something you are looking for. They are generally more stable than stocks, less fluctuations, or you could be like me, just buy em and forget about them.

BTSGIF too, for the bts skytrain, they collect the fares from the consumers and spread it to the investors. It's about 5-6% dividend/year now, since the price has gone up.

This funds are listed at the Thai exchange and elsewhere?

You could open a bank account in Hong Kong, with say either HSBC, Hang Seng or Bank of China (BOC).

I have an account with BOC. When you open the account you typically get the following opened:

Savings Account.

Checking Account.

Accounts for 10 Currencies, Pound, SGD, Thai B, USD, AUD. You can transfer your money to these account online with no min balance required.

You also get a precious metal account which allows you to trade on Gold, Silver and Plantinum.

Your account also allows you to trade on the HK Stock exchange to buy shares.

You can also buy in to Managed Funds and add amounts any time or on a regular basis.

Your account allows for Forex Trading.

Term deposits, and cross currency term deposits.

ETF can be done also.

Your account you can do online TT (telegraphic transfers) in any currency. Transfer depending on where the account is can be typically done in 12 hours.

Any income you earn in HK, max tax rate is 17%. Note there is no capital gains tax in HK.

If you wanted to, you can set up a HK company and set up all the above for the sole purpose. You can also get the added benefit of not having to reveal the beneficial owner of the HK company! and get deductions and allowance on tax return for the company.

Any income you earn in HK, max tax rate is 17%. Note there is no capital gains tax in HK.

for non-residents neither income nor capital gains tax!

HK income tax is a territorial tax system. You earn income in HK you pay tax, irrespective if you are resident or not.

shadow

that does not apply to income from any assets held by a non-resident in a portfolio administered in a Hong Kong bank.

Edited by Naam
  • Like 1

You could open a bank account in Hong Kong, with say either HSBC, Hang Seng or Bank of China (BOC).

I have an account with BOC. When you open the account you typically get the following opened:

Savings Account.

Checking Account.

Accounts for 10 Currencies, Pound, SGD, Thai B, USD, AUD. You can transfer your money to these account online with no min balance required.

You also get a precious metal account which allows you to trade on Gold, Silver and Plantinum.

Your account also allows you to trade on the HK Stock exchange to buy shares.

You can also buy in to Managed Funds and add amounts any time or on a regular basis.

Your account allows for Forex Trading.

Term deposits, and cross currency term deposits.

ETF can be done also.

Your account you can do online TT (telegraphic transfers) in any currency. Transfer depending on where the account is can be typically done in 12 hours.

If you wanted to, you can set up a HK company and set up all the above for the sole purpose. You can also get the added benefit of not having to reveal the beneficial owner of the HK company! and get deductions and allowance on tax return for the company.

for non-residents neither income nor capital gains tax!

HK income tax is a territorial tax system. You earn income in HK you pay tax, irrespective if you are resident or not.

shadow

that does not apply to income from any assets held by a non-resident in a portfolio administered in a Hong Kong bank.

I stand corrected

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Gold ? Gold is usually a good investment, the Thais/Chinese always tend to lean that way with surplus cash.

Just a thought.

Guess you've been sleeping for the past 2 years.

actually it's exactly three years since Gold was quoted $1,900/ounce. looking at today's price of $1,300+ it seems that the attribut "usually good investment" does not exactly apply.

I am no expert but since the price has dipped now wouldnt it be the time to buy?

Even if the gold price hasnt reached its absolute bottom now wouldnt it be a good bet to assume it might be somewhat better in 20 years time?

I guess i have the simple view but i would much rather buy at $1300 than$1900

Excellent long term investment however the parabolic rise was due to gold being a safe haven asset during times of economic uncertainty and the FED's bond buying during quantative easing lowering the yeilds on bonds which pushed investerors to look to safe havens like gold. Gold prices have been decreasing for 3 years now and there never was any serious debate about reverting to a gold backed currency, it always has and probably always will be a good long term investment but patience is key.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Simon

You should continue with the industry you do best in.

I recommend property funds to you.

These funds invest in hotels, buildings, such as the world trade center, office buildings, department stores, etc. Their income is primarily from the rent and their fees are basically just renovation and maintenance which is very low.

A few pick up from the top of my head,

POPF

CPNCG
CPNRF

MJLF

The hotels I will not recommend to you now, because of the recent crisis, their performance has been very low. I have bought the Marriot hotels, and it gave 7-8% dividends per year before the political crisis started. I have since sold them, and not yet recommend them yet, because no significant improvements yet. They are goldpf, ctaraf, qhop

All you need to do is open an account with a securities brokerage firm, just like opening a bank account. English service, I think mbket is the best. All the websites and programs are in English, very easy to buy.

These generally yield 5-9% dividends, and you check their performance by their nav each month. So it's certainly more exciting than your bank accounts and could be something you are looking for. They are generally more stable than stocks, less fluctuations, or you could be like me, just buy em and forget about them.

BTSGIF too, for the bts skytrain, they collect the fares from the consumers and spread it to the investors. It's about 5-6% dividend/year now, since the price has gone up.

This funds are listed at the Thai exchange and elsewhere?

Yes you can easily buy these funds through the thai stock exchange. Some of them have tax priviledges and the dividends do not incur the 10% tax regularly found on other stocks. Read each one carefully before you buy. I think the btsgif one has 10 year no tax on dividends, but do check the information again, it's been a while since I looked it up.

Elsewhere, I have no idea, but it could be marketed as Thai REIT funds internationally.

Their prices generally hardly fluctuate when in comparison to other stocks. Prices correlate with the NAV performance. If you see the nav drop significantly in a given month, GET OUT. They have trends, their nav performance doesn't fluctuate. It's usually up up up stable stable stable down down down. Trend behavior. The 4 funds I've listed are either uptrend or stable at the moment, except CPNCG, July performance compared to other months is down 20%. So if January to june, it was consistent 7% gains per month, July is 5.5%. If august is back to 7%, i'll be back in it again.

settrade has all the information. Google the website and type in the funds I've provided. thumbsup.gif

I assume I will be dead by age 80.

I need 500k a year to live on (with 4 hangers on).

(without the extras, I would only need 360k/year)

So if I had 10M in the bank earning 3%, and I was 60+, no need to do anything.

How old are you?

How much do you need to live on per year?

Do you have any other income?

3% of 10 mil is 300,000. What am I missing?

How old are you?

the £ or $ sign in front of 300,000? smile.png

How old are you?

the £ or $ sign in front of 300,000? smile.png

Euros

(closest currency I could get to DMs, and I love the E500 notes)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

the Euro is the Duestche Mark, and carries the entire EU

FWIW

IAMGOLD, symbol IAG, I recommended erlier was around 3.75

now 4.04 w market still open, $1.00 away from a 25 year low, just reported a very good quarter,

its high a few years ago was $24.00

it's a good company, increasing their cash last quarter, with improved cash costs going forward.

yahoo Finance is a good place to get company data

another good quarter or two and they will likely reinstate their dividend which was 5% last year before they cut it

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/iamgold-increases-net-cash-operating-211100521.html

FWIW

now 4.04 w market still open, $1.00 away from a 25 year low, just reported a very good quarter,

it's a good company, increasing their cash last quarter, with improved cash costs going forward.

another good quarter or two and they will likely reinstate their dividend which was 5% last year before they cut it

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/iamgold-increases-net-cash-operating-211100521.html

Iwish you were right. Sadly the Euro has nothing to do with the Deutsche Mark. The only reason to introduce the Euro was to take the Deutsche Mark away from Germany. The strongest and best currency ever.

If this would not have happened today hardly anybody could remember a currency once called "Taler". (The word dollar comes from this German word and when a Saxon pronouces it, it sounds like "dollar".)

But you are right. Germany carries the whole Eurozone. Once it collaps, that will be the end of all fiat money.

• Like 1

FWIW

Iwish you were right. Sadly the Euro has nothing to do with the Deutsche Mark. The only reason to introduce the Euro was to take the Deutsche Mark away from Germany. The strongest and best currency ever.

If this would not have happened today hardly anybody could remember a currency once called "Taler". (The word dollar comes from this German word and when a Saxon pronouces it, it sounds like "dollar".)

But you are right. Germany carries the whole Eurozone. Once it collaps, that will be the end of all fiat money.

I see it the opposite,

Germany will over take all of the EU and ally with Russia to ensure their energy forever

it is the other way around young man, Germany emerges the ultimate victor

FWIW

I see it the opposite,

Germany will over take all of the EU and ally with Russia to ensure their energy forever

it is the other way around young man, Germany emerges the ultimate victor

Thank you....for the young man.

Wish you were right, but Russia will ally with China and (some) of the BRIC countries. Some day later China throws all its US government bonds on the market and when Washington wakes up one morning the USA are history.

China also has lots of paper gold in addition to huge amounts of physical gold. Less than one percent of all "gold" is physical and most of it is not for sale like the German gold at the FED. whistling.gif

Only a little paper gold thrown on the market will skyrock the (physical) gold price. So China will be the shining star with a 100% gold covered currency then.

wow, why so pessimistic?

Why is it not reasonable to assume that Germany has the same interests s China?

I see the former axis powers realigning,

all against the USA

I live in the USA
and do not want to see its demise, but, it is inevitable

look at who they elect

look at how the laws are ignored

Russia and Comrade Vlad score higher in opinion polls than any US representative

Merkel will never trust the USA again

I see this shift happening, and I see it as real

ps.

China has been a net seller of US long term bonds for 8 months in a row,

the bonds have rallied the entire time, so,

China has no economic weapons against the USA

it is the reverse

I would say it is "all against the US$".

Why should anybody in the real world shoud be forced to buy greenbacks when he want to buy crude oil? Because..? Yes because crude is priced in US$. When Switzerland needs oil why can't they pay in francs or dinar????

Should the UN-real demand of US$ is gone some people in NY and Washington will be in hot water. Especially the Rothschild Bank. Some call it Federal Reserve.

the dollar is now, and will always be in high demand worldwide, regardless of crude purchases as

the entire world puts is excess reserves in Treasury Bills, the most liquid and dependable safe haven market in the world

while all the experts have been screaming from the rooftops that the US dollar is collapsing,

it has been on a steady uptrend against all major currencies, all year

pundits can crow all they want,

the world wants the US Dollar, nothing is going to change that and,

god forbid the US ever truly raises rates,

the flood gates will open, and the demand will be so high, the rest of the world will stay in recession until its eversed

the US is the power house of the world,

thats the way it is

The most successful business I have seen in Thailand is the bahmee nam stand on the main road.

I sat there many nights and I calculated it.

40 baht per bag x 60 bags per hour average = 2400 baht per hour

Cost per bag, chicken noodles, etc 10 baht.

30 baht x 60bags = 1800 per hour x 8 hours per evening = 14400 per day

Wages per day. 5x300=1500

Sundries 2000????

14400-3500= 10500

If the cops want even 5000 per day, you are earning probably 150k per month from a noodle stand

The most successful business I have seen in Thailand is the bahmee nam stand on the main road.

I sat there many nights and I calculated it.

40 baht per bag x 60 bags per hour average = 2400 baht per hour

Cost per bag, chicken noodles, etc 10 baht.

30 baht x 60bags = 1800 per hour x 8 hours per evening = 14400 per day

Wages per day. 5x300=1500

Sundries 2000????

14400-3500= 10500

If the cops want even 5000 per day, you are earning probably 150k per month from a noodle stand

Seems like the most successful business is corruption. No wonder it is so popular

the dollar is now, and will always be in high demand worldwide, regardless of crude purchases as

the entire world puts is excess reserves in Treasury Bills, the most liquid and dependable safe haven market in the world

while all the experts have been screaming from the rooftops that the US dollar is collapsing,

it has been on a steady uptrend against all major currencies, all year

pundits can crow all they want,

the world wants the US Dollar, nothing is going to change that and,

god forbid the US ever truly raises rates,

the flood gates will open, and the demand will be so high, the rest of the world will stay in recession until its eversed

the US is the power house of the world,

thats the way it is

The US Dollar will go the way of all fiat currencies. The Fed will print the dollar until it is worthless. No one can say when the dollar will collapse but it will happen. All central banks are de-valuing thier currnecy. It's a race to the bottom. Just because the dollar will be the last man standing doesn't mean it will last forever. The dollar's value is based on trust. How much do you trust the Fed? I'm American and have been around a while, the US isn't the only powerhouse in the world. The US gov't just doesn't see that yet. The country is run by crooks and idiots. That's the way it is.

I would say it is "all against the US$".

Why should anybody in the real world shoud be forced to buy greenbacks when he want to buy crude oil? Because..? Yes because crude is priced in US$. When Switzerland needs oil why can't they pay in francs or dinar????

Should the UN-real demand of US$ is gone some people in NY and Washington will be in hot water. Especially the Rothschild Bank. Some call it Federal Reserve.

crude is priced in USD but neither sellers nor buyers are forced to use USD. that the Dollar is still the preference currency of settlement is based on the fact that most big oil exporters have either their currency pegged or their debt is denominated in Dollars or both.

if Switzerland needs oil from Saudi Arabia and they Saudis accept Swiss chocolate, cheese or cowrie shells the Swiss can use these commodities as payment. as simple as that.