Arrival at Phuket airport. (Taxi and immigration experience)

markg

Just thought I would post my experience of my recent arrival at Phuket international airport. 

1. Arrived from outside Thailand so had to go through immigration.

2. HUGE queues at immigration - the hall was literally packed.

3. As you enter immigration hall, the very last counter is for 'visa on arrival' and there are some advertising hoardings there. Behind the hoardings, a very nice chap will take 4 USD off you (120 baht) and let you use the visa on arrival desk thereby cutting the line. Nice.

4. Got a taxi from the first desk on the left as you come out of customs. (It had 3 letters in the name, like PMK or something similar)

5. There were no taxi touts waiting inside the airport. Only the proper taxi drivers in a kiosk. Very relaxing not having to push through the hoards of touts

6. I paid 650baht for a taxi into Phuket Town. At no stage did anyone actually ask me where in Phuket town.

7. The taxi driver had to sign out of the airport and this was all being checked by the military. Presumably this will stop illegal taxi drivers ? 

8. The driver never spoke a word to me in either English or Thai, so I never spoke to him. After 10 minutes or so, we stopped at a Travel Agency. (I wish I had taken a photo) and the driver literally jumped out of the car and walked quickly away. I know this scam so wasnt too bothered. A very nice lady tapped on the window and asked in English which hotel i was staying at. I answered her in Thai that I was going home and she quickly called the driver who seemed pretty angry, and we drove off. As we were reversing out, there was a taxi (same company) in there with 2 confused looking Asians in the back (possibly Korean) getting the full on treatment from the Travel Agency about their hotel being no good etc. 

It is an old scam and I am aware of it so just posting this for other people who are not.

The Military have done a lot for Phuket and I was surprised that this scam is still going on.

It was late and I was tired after a 15 hour flight so didnt get enough details to report it officially. 

The local authorities said they closed this scam down a couple of years ago due to all the complaints.

It is only the 2nd time in 10 years.

Over the years I have either told them my address or spoken in Thai

This was the first time that no address was asked for (Just Phuket Town zone) and the driver made no attempt to speak to me. Guess they thought I was a tourist. 

I arrived a couple of days ago as well and the queues where crazy that day too. Luckily I also found the "nice chap" but he only wanted a hundred from me though. "Express passport control" he said, laughable really, so much for the new hard line immigration attitude.  The scary thing was most of the people in line where asian and the immigration officers where spending at least 20 minutes hassling each person, it was unbelievable. I wonder how long those people had to stand in line, some of them are probably still there.

Edited by Kaalle
  • Like 1

For the past couple of years, I have used the meter taxi stand outside and to right after exiting the terminal for ride to Nai Harn. I ignore all those who offer taxi service.
The meter has always been used and cost seems to depend on traffic at Tesco and Central. Late night ride to Nai Harn on 5 August cost 725 thb plus the 100 airport fee at the stand. Have paid as much as 900 when there was lots of waiting at traffic lights. Taxis have never stopped along the way to try to sell me a hotel, probably because I mentioned that I am going to my home, not a hotel.
Been satisfied with this service.

The 4usd/100 baht express line at immigration is indeed a scam.

But a VERY VERY good one!

Arrived at midnight last Saturday night, at the same time as 5 planes full of Chinese hoi poloi. So about 1000 passengers in the immigration hall. I paid 100 baht and instead of spending 1-2 hours pushing and shoving with these clowns I got in line behind about 5 other like minded individuals and was out within 10 minutes.

Every single immigration desk was manned, and the immigration officers even seemed to be processing each passenger in about 20-30 seconds instead of the usual 1 minute.

I commute from Hong Kong, so pass through HKT airport 4-6 times a month. THIS IS A GODSEND.

Let the Russians and Chinese line up, pushing and shoving for over an hour. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN STANDING WITH THEM. They're welcome to it. Hopefully it will put them off coming to Phuket - let's admit it - they're not wanted here anyway.

For the rest of us regulars, pay the 100 baht. Excellent.

I know it's a scam, but the alternative is unbearable. There's nothing you can do to fix that. Nothing.

Arrived at midnight last Saturday night, at the same time as 5 planes full of Chinese hoi poloi. So about 1000 passengers in the immigration hall. I paid 100 baht and instead of spending 1-2 hours pushing and shoving with these clowns I got in line behind about 5 other like minded individuals and was out within 10 minutes.

Every single immigration desk was manned, and the immigration officers even seemed to be processing each passenger in about 20-30 seconds instead of the usual 1 minute.

I commute from Hong Kong, so pass through HKT airport 4-6 times a month. THIS IS A GODSEND.

Let the Russians and Chinese line up, pushing and shoving for over an hour. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN STANDING WITH THEM. They're welcome to it. Hopefully it will put them off coming to Phuket - let's admit it - they're not wanted here anyway.

I know it's a scam, but the alternative is unbearable. There's nothing you can do to fix that. Nothing.

Travel with a baby - go direct to the VIP lane :)

Travel with a baby - go direct to the VIP lane smile.png

There's the new scam. Baby for rent for 5 minutes, 500 baht and free VIP processing.

• Like 1