Recommendations for a new professional grade camera

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for a new professional grade camera, I'm a beginner using cameras but want something descent, and also what would people recommend for learning how to use it (other than just using it...), I mean, by taking a short course in Bkk or online, or the better sites or forums for this sort of discussion, thanks.

Nigh on impossible to give you guidance here without more information.

What camera system do you currently use and with what lenses. Clearly, if you have a collection of (say) Canon lenses this would narrow down the choice.

What is your budget. Pro level cameras go from $1,000 up to the sky.

What subjects do you like to shoot. If you're heavily into sport/action then AF speed will predominate.

Etc etc.

However, as a beginner I would question your need for a "Pro" level camera. These type of cameras are aimed at true professionals who know what they're doing and can be daunting to say the least. True you could grow into it, but that may take more time than you would wish to devote. And you don't need a "Pro" camera to shoot like a Pro.

Anyway, come back with your answers and maybe we can help.
  • Like 2

As a professional I would not recommend you to buy what is known as "professional grade" cameras.

A number of reasons:

1 - development in cameras is still so fast that you are likely to buy new bodies every 2 years

2 - lenses lenses lenses spend you money on lenses, good lenses will last very long

3 - "prosumer grade" or even cheaper cameras are good enough for most professionals

• Like 1

OP...I agree with Fimgirl and Verbalkint, who has given 3 good reasons not to go the

full on pro camera body route. For example Canon's EOS1D-C will set you back

12K USD just for the body and that body is useless without Canon's best lenses

attached to it and another 12K USD will buy you perhaps 2 Canon lenses that will

make that body do what it is supposed to do. If you decide to use say...Zeiss Primes

on that body 12K USD won't buy that many either. That's a 24K USD initial investment!

On the other hand take either Canon's or Nikons "prosumer/serious hobbyist/enthusiast

cameras and then add great lenses to compliment what these camera bodies can do; which

is pretty amazing. Afterall...great glass up front is the only way to go because garbage in

equals garbage out at the end of the day. And I'm gonna presume you already know how

to frame a shot, no matter what camera you are currently using plus knowing what you

want in the end result...aka the picture you see on your computer at the end of the day.

Photography begats many genre's...what is yours? In other words what do you like to

photograph most? What do you want to photograph? You need to know this first before

you head to the camera store with a wad of dosh and waste it on something completely

unsuitable for you. I'm not attempting to disuade you...just to assist you.

Tell us more about what you wanna shoot and we'll do our best to help.

As for photography courses in BKK many universities offer them and there are

links on this forum for photo clubs etc who will be able to get you started. For

on-line stuff...Google is your friend....try keying in "photography courses in

Bangkok"...without the inverted commas, as a start.

Finally...what's yer budget? This biz can be extremely expensive.

NB edit to add a few lines on courses etc.

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 1

If you're a beginner, start with a point and shoot with full manual capability and RAW to learn on and get Lightroom 5 to learn post processing.

Fuji X20 or X100s would be a good start. Panasonic Lumix LX7 another.

Just to add, you're better off asking questions here than a "proper" photography forum. The "real" forums will get you seriously confused and frustrated and they're filled with nerdy types b1tching at each other.

Edited by MJP

Hi Green

What do you want to achieve ? , what type of photography . When you say a decent camera , I am a canon user and have been since 2000 with D series bodies from 1D , 1D2 , 1D3 and 1D4 together with  fast L lenses but now I have slowed down ( I mainly shot sports and action ) and now use a 5dmk3 which is brilliant .

In Pounds the 5Dmk3 is about £2,200 and about £5,000 for the 1DX both full frame bodies.

My personal opinion is  , I prefer the smaller bodied camera for a travel camera with the added luxury of adding a battery grip to balance a larger lens .

I have just come back from Paris and it was brilliant no bulk and  inconspicuous .

Any more info just ask

Hope this helps

Edited by thephotoman

Moved to the photography equipment subforum.

As mentioned, a lot more details are needed in order to address your question.  Your budget, what area of photography are you specifically interested in, complex (aka flexible) or simple configurability, size and weight that would be acceptable to you for your type of photography.   Below is a link to Best Semi-pro Cameras and prices to give you an idea.   Some of us here have Olympus, OMD-EM-1 in my case.  Some with their brand new Sony A7R and some with everything.

Thing to keep in mind is once you decide on an interchangeable lens "brand" or format (dSLR, mirrorless, etc)  you are a bit committed to it due to the lenses.  Buying a Canon plus a decent set of lenses and later thinking Nikon would been better will be expensive.  The comment above about a prosumer P&S may be plenty for you to test the waters.

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/semi_pro_DSLRs/best_semi_pro_DSLR.shtml

Thanks for all of those comments, I hadn't considered those things, and I don't have any camera, so this is going from scratch. Yes the Point and shoot might be the better option then, I would be mainly doing still scenes, in nature, the city, and of people. Probably under 60K baht. Thanks!

Sony rx100m3 is a point and shoot that is getting rave reviews ATM. Shoots good video too and fits in your pocket. Check out the reviews on YouTube.

I think this is a very good idea.

OP, avoid going down the great big heavy camera route. Keep it mirrorless. Keep it light and mobile. Most of us here have dumped our big heavy kit, it makes life miserable.

• Like 1

If pocketable is important then there's no beating the recommended Sony RX100 m3. However, within the budget you have outlined, there are 2 cameras that really stand out for having the benefit of interchangeable lenses. These are system cameras which will enable additional lenses to be added as you "grow". I believe this is important.

Take a look at the Olympus OMD-EM1 and the Fuji X-T1. Both well within your budget and definitely sitting in the "Pro" area without the bulk. Edited by fimgirl
  • Like 2

If you want pocket ability the rx100 is perfect for a beginner, there is a good book for it to help you learn. If you want to be able to zoom a good amount in and make use of 4k video to capture still photos from moving objects, the soon to be available Panasonic FZ1000 will be more fun and versatile, but enormous. I have been delighted with my rx100 to learn the basics but will probably swap for the Panasonic when it hits the stores.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

may i suggest the Nikon D5300, excellent value, and good tele lenses included in the kit prices just now...

cracking camera for 35000 baht, that good i bought one last month.....

Edited by rizla

I wouldn't go for a point and shoot but a DSLR. 

For about 25k you can buy a great NIkon or Canon body.

Both brands have very cheap 50mm f/1.8 lenses  (about 5k) and combined with the body that makes a great starter kit. (I always carry at least one 50mm)

Save the rest of the money until you decide what other lens(es) you need. 

Both brands have very cheap 50mm f/1.8 lenses  (about 5k) and combined with the body that makes a great starter kit. (I always carry at least one 50mm)

Why do people think that any camera that isn't DSLR is a p&s? There are loads of good quality serious cameras that aren't DSLR, including with interchangeable lenses and/or large sensors.

• Like 2

Why do people think that any camera that isn't DSLR is a p&s? There are loads of good quality serious cameras that aren't DSLR, including with interchangeable lenses and/or large sensors.

Probably just the term point and shoot implies to some basic camera that can take photos. smile.png

This is a p&s for a few thousand baht

3563-1.jpg

This is also a P&S for about 87,000 Baht.  biggrin.png

sony_dsc_rx1r_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx1r_digi

Probably just the term point and shoot implies to some basic camera that can take photos. smile.png

DSLRs are just as capable of being used as p&s.. In fact I think a lot of people never use them for anything else.

• Like 1

DSLRs are just as capable of being used as p&s.. In fact I think a lot of people never use them for anything else.

I agree. There are some who never take it out of full auto mode which is fine for testing the waters but a shame not to go beyond that.  I'm guilty of it for quite a while but now the dial never sees auto mode anymore except on my phone camera. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I second the opinions for the rx100 (mark III).

An often overlooked feature/spec in fixed lens cameras is the wideangle, I found 28mm to be practically unusable for any close quarters pictures, architecture pictures, and even social pictures (of people sitting around you at a table). The 24mm do really make a huge difference.

For experimenting with settings, the canon S120 is very good too and much cheaper.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

I bought an Olympus Stylus 1 3-4 month ago and are very pleased with it, the lens that covers 28-300 mm is good.

The camera is funny to operate which in my view are one of the most important things with a camera expect for the photo quality off-course.

I am now using Lightroom 5 and started to shot RAW files and try to spend more time composing the images before I shot and uses the viewfinder in 90% of the shots.

I am now considering buying a camera with inter change lenses next year perhaps, I am leaning towards an Olympus or a Fuji X-E2.

I just have to be careful and not start spending 10.000 of $ on it as I am not that good a photographer and I will be wasting money buying a top notch camera/lenses. 

A good 16MP camera will be good enough for me.

I wouldn't go for  DSLR (or a point and shoot).

You are much more likely to carry something smaller around with you and actually use it. Once you have learned the basics you can then consider a more comprehensive camera system with interchangeable lenses (personally I still wouldn't go for a DSLR at this point).

The RX100 is a very good recommendation. You can have full control and it will produce photos that delight you.

I agree. There are some who never take it out of full auto mode which is fine for testing the waters but a shame not to go beyond that.  I'm guilty of it for quite a while but now the dial never sees auto mode anymore except on my phone camera. biggrin.png

Many people who want a "good" camera buy a Canon or Nikon because that is what their friends tell them they should get. They are not that interested in photography and the majority of people I see with Canon and Nikon cameras have them on Auto! Meet someone with something less common like a Fuji or an Olympus and they are more likely to be using them with some degree of control.

• Like 2

An extra 10,000 baht for a Sony RX 100 mk3 vs a mk2 isn't justified IMO.

Nice cameras but not worth the extra 200 IMO.

View finder yes hot shoe no, swings and roundabouts.

24mm equiv. vs. 28mm ... a major point as fas as I am concerned.

Another possibility of course is the Canon G1X mark II

Edited by manarak

Many people who want a "good" camera buy a Canon or Nikon because that is what their friends tell them they should get. They are not that interested in photography and the majority of people I see with Canon and Nikon cameras have them on Auto! Meet someone with something less common like a Fuji or an Olympus and they are more likely to be using them with some degree of control.

The statement about fuji and olympus is a bit strange, most professional photographers that I know (people that make their money taking photographs) are using Canon or Nikon.

I am not talking about the people that buy a camera just to show that they can afford a D4x or 1DmarkVII

I own a number of cameras but imho learning about photography is a lot easier with a DSLR than with for example the Fuji x100. 

Also you can start building a collection of lenses and for both Canon and Nikon there are lots available, also 2nd hand. 

The statement about fuji and olympus is a bit strange, most professional photographers that I know (people that make their money taking photographs) are using Canon or Nikon.
I am not talking about the people that buy a camera just to show that they can afford a D4x or 1DmarkVII
I own a number of cameras but imho learning about photography is a lot easier with a DSLR than with for example the Fuji x100. 
Also you can start building a collection of lenses and for both Canon and Nikon there are lots available, also 2nd hand. 

Learning on a P&S gives you a chance to not only understand manual control and PP but also to understand what's available on the market, which system is best for you and ultimately how much it's going to cost. Which as many of us know can run into the many many thousands of Pounds/Dollars.

If you don't want to pursue it further you are still left with a high quality pocketable camera.

To this end, the Panasonic Lumix LX7 is a good option.

You make a very good point about used equipment regards Canon and Nikon.

• Like 1