AirAsia chief Fernandes unfazed by competition: Thai interview

webfact

Nok air offer a vastly better service in my opinion but each to their own. Unfortunately Nok's schedule Bangkok to Phuket misses the mark as there are no early morning flights and no evening flights on thy back either otherwise I would always use them.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I fly AA and I think what they do is funny. They say the flight time is much longer than it really is. My planes ALWAYS leave late but arrive early. 55555

Keep in mind that the scheduled departure time (STD) is for the time the aircraft doors close, not when they take off..  Same at the other end, arrival time is based on gate arrival and doors open.

• Like 1

I've flown Air Asia a number of times, and have no complaints. On my last flight, though, from Chiang Mai to Melbourne via Kualur Lumpur, I realised that Air Asia isn't so great if things go wrong. 

I bought a ticket on the Air Asia site allowing an hour connection time in KL. Fine, except that the fight left CNX an hour late. When I finally arrived in KL, there were no waiting staff, no signs, nothing. I - and a number of other CNX-Mel passengers - had to run around the low cost terminal looking for our departing flight. The place isn't particularly well signposted, with the signs for departing flights really facing people coming the other way (we had come off an arriving flight). We worked that out after we had run into immigration for KL arriving passengers (no signs showing us any different). 

On the way I stopped at the transfer area and found another passenger from my flight who had already missed his connecting flight, presumably on a "fly-through" ticket like mine. He wasn't getting much satisfaction. 

I then realised that if I missed my flight, I would probably get the same treatment. All Air Asia promise in those circumstances is that you can have a seat on the next available connecting flight. That might be one day away or more. Any financial costs for accommodation, food, visa costs etc are between you and your insurer, if you have one (I didn't, not for covering delays). 

Luckily, I made my flight, but the new low cost terminal - far better than the warehouse/factory unit it replaces - is also huge, and 30 minutes after the flight took off and I reached into my shirt pocket, my boarding pass was still drenched in sweat. 

So next time? I'll think again. I would still use Air Asia for point to point flights, but I'm no longer sure that the "fly-through" deals offer connecting passengers much of a deal if they miss their flight. It's a low cost carrier and in those circumstances, you get what you pay for - nothing much at all, and the possibility of delayed arrivals into your final destination and a lot of expense in between. 

• Like 1

Hopefully they do not skimp on the extra fuel for the next alternate destination.

Flight xyz bla bla:
"We are low at fuel, need immediately landing permission."
For that reason i'm trying to avoid budget airlines.

Hey come on for gods sake no airline can be operating on this principle, it has to load x amounts for the particular journey way above what is needed budget or other.   Or would you prefer a non budget airline from some African countries.

I will fly on budget airlines here and not give fuel a second thought.     Try Singapore Airline from Udon Thai on an A380 ???-to DMKlaugh.png thumbsup.gif

Nok is now my favorite, I like the all-in fares and watch out for promotions.

Except that their "all-in fares" aren't quite "all-in" at all - you have to add ...

... airport tax ...

... and insurance ...

... and admin fee ...

... and VAT ...   

all of which are compulsory charges.  Air Asia, on the other hand, you have to add on baggage and seat selection .... only if you so wish.

[attachment=278770:nok air add-ons.jpg]

[attachment=278772:airasia cost.jpg]

• Like 1

If I stopped flying on every airline with whom I've had a bad experience, I'd be taking boats from USA to Thailand and always driving in Thailand. Also, it's rather silly how miffed, insulted and indignant some people can get over so little. Face it. If you fly frequently, you are bound to have some bad experience. It's a fact of life. So, best to forgive and forget ... or walk.

But this all being said, there are indeed some consistently terrible airlines that I will not fly. Ever flown Bangladesh Air? What a nightmare. I've never had the pleasure, but I've heard many horror stories about Aeroflot. 

• Like 1

If I stopped flying on every airline with whom I've had a bad experience, I'd be taking boats from USA to Thailand and always driving in Thailand. Also, it's rather silly how miffed, insulted and indignant some people can get over so little. Face it. If you fly frequently, you are bound to have some bad experience. It's a fact of life. So, best to forgive and forget ... or walk.

But this all being said, there are indeed some consistently terrible airlines that I will not fly. Ever flown Bangladesh Air? What a nightmare. I've never had the pleasure, but I've heard many horror stories about Aeroflot. 

In the early days I travelled on Beman Bangladesh  an old clapped out 707, had to try  an emergency landing in Rangoon-landing gear stiff.

Another one was Tarom-Romanian airline, BAC1-11 to Bucharest -change for an old crate DC 10.

Aeroflot in Moscow during the fuel crisis they had no fuel to get us off to BKK.

Garuda in the early days lost my luggage, had some good clothes from London and an expensive suitcase, I claimed and they said the maximum was about $30 US.   very bad in those days were Garuda, new fleet and decent now.

I agree with what you posted, but we do have more choices and awareness these days.  thumbsup.gif  ginjag.

So much AA hate

I love them, but i travel with only a day pack, dont care where i sit, plenty of very cheap food and drinks available during flight (full service flights you dont really get much anyway) and most importantly the AAX girls are hot

Also they dont use LCCT anymore, they moved into KLIA2 which they pretty much have to themselves, massive terminal with a 3 level shopping mall full of eateries

But hey, if your the typical middle aged fusspot snobbish overweight western traveler who likes to exaggerate and embellish every little hiccup, then maybe they are just not for you

OK, so people who have had bad experiences with AA, and/or don't particularly like the plethora of tick off boxes one has to be careful "unticking" are "typical middle aged fusspot snobbish overweight western traveler who likes to exaggerate and embellish every little hiccup"?

Well, don't hold back - get it all off your chest!crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif Good for you that you can travel with only a fanny pack, but there are those of us that don't much care it we pay 800 Bath or 2500 Baht for a ticket, and prefer full service carriers to avoid running the "extras" gauntlet (as well as the worst rabblebiggrin.png ).

• Like 1

I read somewhere recently that AirAsia orders for new aircraft for delivery and options on orders in the next 5 years, at nearly 500 were the most of any carrier of their size in the world by far.  In fact they are now Airbus' biggest customer.

In the same article, an industry analyst said they didn't know where Fernandes was planning to utilize such a bullish amount of new aircraft.  The analyst had high regard for AirAsia forward confidence and used it as proof of the future growth of air travel in the region.

Edited by Phil Water

I read somewhere recently that AirAsia orders for new aircraft for delivery and options on orders in the next 5 years, at nearly 500 were the most of any carrier of their size in the world by far.  In fact they are now Airbus' biggest customer.

In the same article, an industry analyst said they didn't know where Fernandes was planning to utilize such a bullish amount of new aircraft.  The analyst had high regard for AirAsia forward confidence and used it as proof of the future growth of air travel in the region.

Fernandez has ordered some big boys, these have to be long haul,    Still fingers crossed for London/Manchester from DMK.  Eat your heart out Thai Airways.

A.Asia just e.mailed me to say that 20% is now taken off all international/domestic flight fares. to those who are not aware.

Just checked

KUL to SYD

$177

$160

(20% off)

except thats actually only 10% off and will be canceled out anyway if you pay by debit/credit laugh.png

Still cheap though smile.png

Fernandez has ordered some big boys, these have to be long haul,    Still fingers crossed for London/Manchester from DMK.  Eat your heart out Thai Airways.

I've always been slightly surprised that, even when they have A340s sat on the tarmac rotting & unused, Thai still haven't even tried to open the MAN-BKK route.

Perhaps because almost everybody else got in there first, starting with the Gulf-hubbed airlines, and Thai just don't have any confidence that they can compete ? facepalm.gif

The problem with Air Asia X & long-haul to the UK is, KUL feeds from/into many more of their other routes, than BKK. And also that the exceptionally-high Departure-Tax, for long-haul from the UK, makes it a difficult market for a LCC to serve. Perhaps somewhere like Brussels or Paris might be a better place to start ?

Edited by Ricardo

I've always been slightly surprised that, even when they have A340s sat on the tarmac rotting & unused, Thai still haven't even tried to open the MAN-BKK route.

Perhaps because almost everybody else got in there first, starting with the Gulf-hubbed airlines, and Thai just don't have any confidence that they can compete ? facepalm.gif

The problem with Air Asia X & long-haul to the UK is, KUL feeds from/into many more of their other routes, than BKK. And also that the exceptionally-high Departure-Tax, for long-haul from the UK, makes it a difficult market for a LCC to serve. Perhaps somewhere like Brussels or Paris might be a better place to start ?

If you can near fill an A340-400, it is non stop-ie., DMK-MAN/LHR  it will pay even if it is a gas guzzler it is still a lovely aircraft and comfortable/reliable.

Look at others price structure---I am convinced that even 7,000 baht less than Thai it would get their market along with domestic transfers to boot.

I am to travel Lufthansa soon to LHR because it was 31,000 baht return. but to pay that and have a direct run brilliant.

In the past I travelled scores of times with Air Lanka now Sri Lanka airlines in the new then A340 beautiful trips.

Gatwick/StansteadManchester---surely these airports would welcome A.Asia business.    Manchester gives high priority to Emirates/Etihad--no stacking system on approach with them.

• Like 1

Just making a wild guess, but maybe all the slots are full so they can't fly there.

The plus side AA has always been on time .

In the early days I changed to RAC better roadside service in my area.  and an illuminated badge on the front grill.

ooooooooooooooppppppps,   sorry    I agree I rarely had a delay with A.Asia. mostly from Udon Thani.   but my flights were early so no backlog.

• Like 1