Phuket beach vendors lobby to be allowed back on the sand

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gee, people, what part of PUBLIC BEACHES do you not understand????

Just because you've been doing it illegally for 40 years doesn't make it right, or entitle you to squat. Deal with it.

Yeah. Deal with the fact that you no longer have an income, and were given no transition time to prepare for an alternative.

For sure many ... but not all ... of these vendors got out of hand, and there were way too many crowding the beach. Many of the world's PUBLIC BEACHES do license vendors to provide services to beach goers and well controlled vendor services at Thai beaches would be greatly appreciated my many tourists ... esp. the older ones. While well meaning, it's seems that the new government moved way too quickly and should have planned more wisely. Hopefully a happy medium can be worked out.

Probably several times the national income for 40 years and nothing in the bank.................Serve them right, no sympathy at all.

• Like 1

many beaches are public and still allow some licensed traders to sell on it......there are certain things some tourists want to be offered while at the beach.....

Problem is, if they have a public auction to allow 100 chairs operating in a small space, within a month there will be 1000.

It really is a case of all or nothing.

Should be OK if it is policed properly and law and order is maintained. I personally enjoyed the convenience, but agree that they did take over the beaches.

No way, just give any Thai entrepenure the chance to manipulate and he will do it within hours. Just do not give in to them, it will only be the "thin end of the wedge" and everything will have been a waste of time and resources.

many beaches are public and still allow some licensed traders to sell on it......there are certain things some tourists want to be offered while at the beach.....

Problem is, if they have a public auction to allow 100 chairs operating in a small space, within a month there will be 1000.

It really is a case of all or nothing.

Should be OK if it is policed properly and law and order is maintained. I personally enjoyed the convenience, but agree that they did take over the beaches.

Policing in Thailand is often a euphemism for enabling.

Authorities could, of course, regulate it like Miami Beach, Malaga Spain, Nice,

Venice Beach Cal., but... nothing gets the military juices up better than demolishing !

Please, point out to me the beach chairs on Venice Beach, CA:

attachicon.gif060308-096..jpg

Here's a whole page of photos of Venice Beach, please let me know the one that shows beach chairs or other businesses operating on the beach.

http://venicebeach.com/the-beach/

Here's a video about the beach town in California I grew up in and still own a house. Are there any beach chairs? LOL! But sadly not many locals left either. http://www.bloomberg.com/video/california-s-most-popular-town-for-luxury-homes-RqQ8eBnYRJmZq7p3A3QdVg.html

Ghastly! overgrown with concrete like neglected weed garden. No open spaces between buildings bah.gif

I can not understand why everyone here seems to think the beaches should not have chairs, umbrellas & refreshments available for sale/rent. Granted the whole thing needs cleaning up by making licenses, limitation and standards but the service itself is perfectly fine. Designated sections along the beach giving people the opportunity to either use an area sheltered or areas free from any services on the beach would make sense. It is those pestering bar stewards tapping you on the shoulder every two minuets that need sodding off.

• Like 1

well actually, i think quite a lot of people want a lounger and shade option (not me). Not everyone wants to cook in 35% and get burnt.....

and also - who are the idiots saying if i want a lounger and umbrella, i'll take my own or they can bring them from shops.....oh yes very relaxing...

i'm going to the beach- let's just hump this 5o kg sunlounger down to the beach!

the problm is the lack of regulation and fair competition and imtimidation.

Clearing them all off was probably the only way to start...but there should be a middle ground.....eg massage....many many people like to have massage at the beach and that was a choice.....now they can't.......

The tone of most people on TV nowadays is pretty ugly and agressive

You obviously have'nt seen much ! Where i come from in Queensland, everybody own and take their own seats , cooler, shade and whatever, to the beach, its a way of life. You should get down there and learn a little. Its the same all over Australia. Get yourself educated on the use of the beach. Over the christmas and other holiday periods. Whole families go to isolated beaches and set up camp for a couple of weeks so believe me , it is very relaxing indeed. No problems at all.You obviously have no idea, so deserve to remain small minded. whistling.gif

Old Sailor, i think you are smoking too much weed mate. We are not in Queensland and last time i checked the baggage allowance is around 50kg on a standard long haul flight. You would be a typical Aussie really wouldn't you arriving in BKK with your ice box, large Umbrella, Deck chair, surf board, 15 pairs of billabong shorts, 10 pairs of spandex speedos, 8 pair of flip flips (two left feet) and plenty of hair grips to hold it back while you rip the 2 foot Pattaya waves.

• Like 2

If you want a beach chair then bring your own. Most beaches I have seen around the world have no venders already setup on the beach. There are some places off the beach you can rent what ever you need and bring it along. I always liked putting a blanket on the beach and getting a little sun. Pattaya has very little room to do this and the locals will not like.

The money these venders paid also went into the pockets of the wrong people and did not go into cleaning or maintaining the beach.

I think a move in the right direction. No one should control public land. It should be there for all to use.

There is nothing wrong if the poor locals provide service to the beaches and that way make living for themselves.

I don't think this was the issue on Phuket beaches. The issue was that these vendors took the whole beach for them to make money. I understood there was a rule that only 2 rows of sunbeds are allowed to the beaches. This rule was not followed.

The photo is from Surin beach 2013

2013-02-03_16-36-22.jpg

BestBitterPhuket, on 12 Aug 2014 - 12:28, said:
Rorri, on 11 Aug 2014 - 18:45, said:
Dogmatix, on 11 Aug 2014 - 15:22, said:

Dogmatix, on 11 Aug 2014 - 15:22, said:

Let the Phuket governor's office find them honest jobs on construction sites or fishing trawlers. There are plenty jobs available and the fact that they were operating illegal businesses in conservation areas and evading tax is not a good reason to let them break the law again.

And the man at the top, the governor, what has he done, over the years, to stop all this illegal/corrupt activity.... absolutely nothing, in fact he even endorse fare rises for the taxis. Why hasn't he been brought to answer.

The cleanup can't be taken serious before the guys on the top are also cleaned away.

So true, it is their failure that has allowed it to happen almost to the point of endorsing/encouraging it. If the few at the top did their sworn by duty then these illegal/corrupt activities could be stopped.

• Like 2

What an uncharitable lot of postings! Just as well none of you will have a vote at the next Thai general election or the Land of Smiles might well end up as a grubby version of Singapore.

One of the perennial attractions of Thailand, compared with other South-East Asian countries, has been its laid-back "live and let live" culture and its generally relaxed attitude to rules and regulations compared with the bureaucratic West.

There are signs this is changing - as evidenced by the howls of protest from Forum members when, following the coup, it was announced the enforcement of visa regulations which had blithely been ignored for years.

One can imagine their indignant reaction of these posters if the longstanding law against prostitution was implemented, causing the closure of the thousands of girly bars and massage bars where so many falangs spend much of their time and money.

Yet some poor natives trying to scratch a living out of the sand of a public beach must feel the full weight of the law - even if it means losing their livelihoods overnight and having no alternative means of caring for their families?

Not just uncharitable but downright hypocritical, too. Shame on the lot of you.

what a damn stupid, out of touch comment. In your opinion all Thai business should go unregulated and foreigners and thais who are affected negatively are hypocrites. you clearly dont live and/or work in the country.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Please, please clean the umbrella/chair Nazis from the beaches in Pattaya. There is no beach left to walk.

So why haven't they? Good question. [ argh these multi quotes function never works ...]

Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world. It seems nearly anyone who wants to work, can find work. They are not really asking for a job. They are asking for a high paying job, such as the vending position they had for years. Not too much sympathy from this end, I am afraid to say.

Let the Phuket governor's office find them honest jobs on construction sites or fishing trawlers. There are plenty jobs available and the fact that they were operating illegal businesses in conservation areas and evading tax is not a good reason to let them break the law again.

Sure, plenty low paying at slave wages for 10 hour a day jobs. While I agree things got out of hand, the draconian and overnight erasure of livelihoods is not only politically inflammatory, but inhumane.

IMO Tourists will not come to Phuket when every beach is exactly the same as every other beach in Thailand. The unique flavors of each beach will be missed. What was needed (and it can be said of everything in Thailand) was enforcement of existing rules. Seems Sirinart Marine Park should have been THE beach kept pristine ( although the garbage was way out of hand there ) , yet a disco was allowed to open at the entrance.

I say some thing is really rotten in these goings on and we aren't privy to just what, yet. Maybe never will be.

What an uncharitable lot of postings! Just as well none of you will have a vote at the next Thai general election or the Land of Smiles might well end up as a grubby version of Singapore.

One of the perennial attractions of Thailand, compared with other South-East Asian countries, has been its laid-back "live and let live" culture and its generally relaxed attitude to rules and regulations compared with the bureaucratic West.

There are signs this is changing - as evidenced by the howls of protest from Forum members when, following the coup, it was announced the enforcement of visa regulations which had blithely been ignored for years.

One can imagine their indignant reaction of these posters if the longstanding law against prostitution was implemented, causing the closure of the thousands of girly bars and massage bars where so many falangs spend much of their time and money.

Yet some poor natives trying to scratch a living out of the sand of a public beach must feel the full weight of the law - even if it means losing their livelihoods overnight and having no alternative means of caring for their families?

what a damn stupid, out of touch comment. In your opinion all Thai business should go unregulated and foreigners and thais who are affected negatively are hypocrites. you clearly dont live and/or work in the country.

I have agree with Krataiboy, if the rules as written were implemented on prostitution, which means no third party profit,( no bar fines essentially) a large proportion of expats would be howling foul.

And to take it further, If the thousands of expats residing on illegal nominee companies, (and many owning land illegally) were also rooted out, well there would be an upheaval of foreigner populations.

However too much graft is made off the backs of prostitutes, straight up the police chain to the top of the pyramid, and too much income is made off cornered, cowed foreigners through taxes, lawyers, accounting fees, 90 day stamp runs, the Mrs.' family gifts etc etc etc., and I think Thailand likes it just fine like that.

This petty harassment of low income workers is class war. It may well get very ugly here, very quickly.

Edited by EBlair48

Authorities could, of course, regulate it like Miami Beach, Malaga Spain, Nice,

Venice Beach Cal., but... nothing gets the military juices up better than demolishing !

Please, point out to me the beach chairs on Venice Beach, CA:

attachicon.gif060308-096..jpg

Here's a whole page of photos of Venice Beach, please let me know the one that shows beach chairs or other businesses operating on the beach.

http://venicebeach.com/the-beach/

Here's a video about the beach town in California I grew up in and still own a house. Are there any beach chairs? LOL! But sadly not many locals left either. http://www.bloomberg.com/video/california-s-most-popular-town-for-luxury-homes-RqQ8eBnYRJmZq7p3A3QdVg.html

Ghastly! overgrown with concrete like neglected weed garden. No open spaces between buildings bah.gif

Yep only $16 Million US for a tear down. Bummer, I think my place is only worth around $2 Million. tongue.png

I have agree with Krataiboy, if the rules as written were implemented on prostitution, which means no third party profit,( no bar fines essentially) a large proportion of expats would be howling foul.

And to take it further, If the thousands of expats residing on illegal nominee companies, (and many owning land illegally) were also rooted out, well there would be an upheaval of foreigner populations.

However too much graft is made off the backs of prostitutes, straight up the police chain to the top of the pyramid, and too much income is made off cornered, cowed foreigners through taxes, lawyers, accounting fees, 90 day stamp runs, the Mrs.' family gifts etc etc etc., and I think Thailand likes it just fine like that.

This petty harassment of low income workers is class war. It may well get very ugly here, very quickly.

Really? You are an expert on Thai culture and society now? Do you have a Thai family? Do you have any Thai friends other than some beach vendors you've met recently? If so, what do they say about the new government? My family and my friends families are very happy with the new government and how they are trying to take on the over the top corruption. But I suppose corruption and misuse of public lands is acceptable to you… Amazing. Would you accept the same take over of public land in your home country? I guess so...

• Like 1

I was thinking more along the lines that they are just to lazy to even go to the boring meeting and just send the wife.

The missing men are cops. They control the illegsl businesses, own the jet skis etc. and their wives, sisters manage the business.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong if the poor locals provide service to the beaches and that way make living for themselves.

I don't think this was the issue on Phuket beaches. The issue was that these vendors took the whole beach for them to make money. I understood there was a rule that only 2 rows of sunbeds are allowed to the beaches. This rule was not followed.

The photo is from Surin beach 2013

2013-02-03_16-36-22.jpg

After the Tsunami, not only were there only supposed to be two rows of chairs, but the chairs themselves had to be made of plastic, not wood. Gross negligence of enforcement of the law can been seen quite easily in this photo. Who's job is it to oversee this fiasco? I'm betting it's the same guy that is now out front in the beach clear off in Thalang/Chern Talay. "Sorry folks, no refunds on your illegal businesses" says the guy that collected the funds and turned a blind eye to the above misuse of the beaches under his control.

• 3 weeks later...

well actually, i think quite a lot of people want a lounger and shade option (not me). Not everyone wants to cook in 35% and get burnt.....

and also - who are the idiots saying if i want a lounger and umbrella, i'll take my own or they can bring them from shops.....oh yes very relaxing...

i'm going to the beach- let's just hump this 5o kg sunlounger down to the beach!

Clearing them all off was probably the only way to start...but there should be a middle ground.....eg massage....many many people like to have massage at the beach and that was a choice.....now they can't.......

Calling people idiots is not "pretty ugly or aggressive" then? Never heard of collapsible sun beds and portable umbrellas??? That's what folks take to beaches in other countries where there are no sun beds or umbrellas on them! We have them to take to the beach on Khao Lak, together with picnic box and, of course, a coller for the beer!!! wink.png

You don't sound like tourist to me. Do you bring those items on your flight every time you visit Thailand?

It is apparent I am a very strange and unusual person. Based on most of the postings here I should NOT like Thailand the way it is. I should follow the crowd and demand Thailand become more westernized and organised. I should become a tree hugger demanding pristine beaches and no sign of anything so disgusting as a beach chair or umbrella on the beach. Let me think about that for a second..............er NO! Sorry but I like Thailand the way it is for all it's faults and I for one fear the military are just taking things too far. If they try to make it more like Europe or the US then I will offski.

Den

Perhaps you haven't noticed. This isn't your country. I don't believe for an instant that you care deeply about working class Thais. The only agenda that your opinions seem to serve coincides neatly with a gentleman who is on a long-term holiday in Dubai.

It is apparent I am a very strange and unusual person. Based on most of the postings here I should NOT like Thailand the way it is. I should follow the crowd and demand Thailand become more westernized and organised. I should become a tree hugger demanding pristine beaches and no sign of anything so disgusting as a beach chair or umbrella on the beach. Let me think about that for a second..............er NO! Sorry but I like Thailand the way it is for all it's faults and I for one fear the military are just taking things too far. If they try to make it more like Europe or the US then I will offski.

Den

Sorry? Can I come to your country and set up shop on your public beach or National Park? I thought not… So why is going after encroachment taking things too far? Because you enjoyed your lounger and umbrella? What about all the Thai people who come here for vacation? Do they like the King's land to be taken over by the "locals" for their private profit and cater to farangs? I rather doubt it...

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

Calling people idiots is not "pretty ugly or aggressive" then? Never heard of collapsible sun beds and portable umbrellas??? That's what folks take to beaches in other countries where there are no sun beds or umbrellas on them! We have them to take to the beach on Khao Lak, together with picnic box and, of course, a coller for the beer!!! wink.png

You don't sound like tourist to me. Do you bring those items on your flight every time you visit Thailand?

Now that would be idiotic, wouldn't it? We purchased them locally then leave them and other items with the owners of our rented bungalow and we take them to different beaches when we go touring in our rented car. rolleyes.gif

Den

Sorry? Can I come to your country and set up shop on your public beach or National Park? I thought not… So why is going after encroachment taking things too far? Because you enjoyed your lounger and umbrella? What about all the Thai people who come here for vacation? Do they like the King's land to be taken over by the "locals" for their private profit and cater to farangs? I rather doubt it...

Clearing beaches completely without introducing some sort of alternative facilities to provide a similar service certainly looks like taking things too far to me. I have never used the facilities provided by those people but I can see with my own eyes there is definitely a demand. This could and should have been handled much differently. Many here are calling these people scum and they don’t have any idea about their business or background. I actually applaud the fact that they have got off their asses and are working productively and not relying on handouts from government like so many in the UK right now. Some TV pundits have outlined the fact that these enterprises are run by mafia. I would not dispute that, however the ordinary people actually doing the work and getting their small remuneration to support their families are for sure not the mafia bosses and are the big losers here. I know it is against the laws of the land but I really don’t see the great harm they are doing. With proper regulation there could be an excellent compromise which should suit all. (Except for the tree huggers of course because they live in fear that perhaps a rare turtle may not be able to get past the umbrellas to the ocean.) All in all I feel very sorry for the ordinary people’s loss of livelihood. I suspect they are feeling rather desperate these days.

Den