New car on red plates for 7 months?

It just means that the dealer does not have the book for the car, because he has not paid for the car yet, and he wants to use your money to pay his other bills, and thinks that he will be able to find money to pay for your car sometime in the future. Most likely what he needs your money for is to pay out someone elses car that he has been jerking around for a long time (more than 7 months) and they are now threatening to use other means, so it is time to find the money somewhere.

Don't do it !!!!!  If he goes out of business you will never get the book for your car.

The book is issued by the government and not by the car manufacturers who delivers the car. No risk of not getting the book. Whether the dealer has paid for the car or not is a matter between him and the manufacturer. Nothing to do with the license plate. The car is in your name as of day 1 when you drive out of the shop even when you use red license plates for a bit longer.

Anyone who believes that they are insured while driving on
counterfeit/ fake license plates probably believes they are covered
by in insurance if driving without a license or DUI as well
Up to the insurance company if they pay your claim or not but they
don't have to
personally I would want a letter from the insurance company saying
I am covered and not believe what I am told by a insurance company
salesperson thumbsup.gif

Still continuing with the BS are you?

I have that letter, or better had it since it was some time ago, so stop insulting people and making stupid remarks, showing your ignorance on the subject.

Red license plates are not fake or counterfeit. They are issued by the government as temporary license plates to garages as it takes the government 2-3 months to issue the white license plates. Nothing wrong here.

Wrong the fake/counterfeit plates used by dealers are not registered and no tax is paid on them

They also do not have the license book you fill out that comes with real government issued red plates

The real red plates have annual fees the same as black and white plates

Counterfeit license plates are as legal as counterfeit bank notes coffee1.gif

Why do you think that all dealers use fake/counterfeit license plates? There might be some dodgy dealer doing this but it is clearly illegal. If you go to any normal car dealer, they will provide you with official government issued red license plates and you are right it is the dealer that has to pay for those temporary plates.
No problem at all my view, neither with insurance nor with car ownership. So not sure what your point is. You worried that in this case the red license plates are fake? Car registration is fake? Insurance paper is fake?

don't have to
salesperson thumbsup.gif

I have that letter, or better had it since it was some time ago, so stop insulting people and making stupid remarks, showing your ignorance on the subject.

I will catch up with you when I can and you can show me the letter

You are a very hard person to catch up to, I will check your shop more often

It will also give you the opportunity to call me names to my face

Sell insurance now do you, I though you had to be Thai to do it from a shop front

I know of one person who thinks you are Thai, but your not you are Dutch

Why do you think that all dealers use fake/counterfeit license plates? There might be some dodgy dealer doing this but it is clearly illegal. If you go to any normal car dealer, they will provide you with official government issued red license plates and you are right it is the dealer that has to pay for those temporary plates.
No problem at all my view, neither with insurance nor with car ownership. So not sure what your point is. You worried that in this case the red license plates are fake? Car registration is fake? Insurance paper is fake?

Dealers do have real license plates of coarse they do, but when the govt was giving rebates to first time

car buyers they did not have enough sets of real red plates

To fix this problem they had counterfeit plates made which they did not have to pay road tax on

Not all dealers use counterfeit plates but a lot do, if the red plates do not have a small symbol on

them they are counterfeit, go ask a dealer to show you the difference between real and counterfeit

plates, most will have both but may not be able to show you a real set because they are being used

Also with the real plates you get a govt license book with the plates which you pay a 2000 baht deposit on

The deposit is returned to you when you take the plates back

Have you ever bought a new car in Thailand, I have twice so far, both times they tried to issue me with

fake plates which I would not except, same as not excepting fake bank notes, some people might

Thanks for your response. Now I think I understand you. Your advice to the Op is to double check that the red license plates are real and not fake.

Yes I did buy a new car at the beginning of this year, hence I responded to this thread. I had red license plates for 3 months, had a brown government book until I got the white license plate with the blue book after 3 months. And as I mentioned earlier, I was insured as of day 1 when I left the dealer with my new car. And as I indicated before, some people like to keep the red license plates for longer for the reasons I mentioned before. So I don't see any issues with the Op's question to have red licence plates for 7 months.

The book is issued by the government and not by the car manufacturers who delivers the car. No risk of not getting the book. Whether the dealer has paid for the car or not is a matter between him and the manufacturer. Nothing to do with the license plate. The car is in your name as of day 1 when you drive out of the shop even when you use red license plates for a bit longer.

You are correct that the book is issued by the Government, but only upon presentation of certain documents. There is no reason why this can not be done within 1 week, if the dealer chooses to do so.

In fact, when all of the documentation is correct it can be done the same day.

Any dealer telling you he will give you a discount if you can live without your Tabien Lud for 7 months, is just a crook trying to use your money for their own purpose.

What happens if you don't like your new car and you want to sell it after 2 months?

You think that someone will buy it, based on that the dealer is supposed to give you the registration documents at sometime in the future?

I guess you have not been here very long.

Edited by NoBrainer

The safest way to get the Registration in a hurry is to put a small amount of finance on the car, through your bank, or a Leasing Company.

The Bank/Leasing Company will not pay the dealer until they have received the registration for the car.

In fact with the general lack of trust within Thai society, i'm actually surprised that anyone will pay in advance for anything.

don't have to
salesperson thumbsup.gif

Sell insurance now do you, I though you had to be Thai to do it from a shop front

If you pass by, please do not stop.

Again, please stop the BS here.

don't have to
salesperson thumbsup.gif

If you pass by, please do not stop.

Again, please stop the BS here.

See you soon,thumbsup.gif

You are correct that the book is issued by the Government, but only upon presentation of certain documents. There is no reason why this can not be done within 1 week, if the dealer chooses to do so.

In fact, when all of the documentation is correct it can be done the same day.

Any dealer telling you he will give you a discount if you can live without your Tabien Lud for 7 months, is just a crook trying to use your money for their own purpose.

What happens if you don't like your new car and you want to sell it after 2 months?

You think that someone will buy it, based on that the dealer is supposed to give you the registration documents at sometime in the future?

I guess you have not been here very long.

Maybe I am missing something. Why is the car dealer a crook if you use his temporary license plates for 7 months. When you buy the car, it is yours as of day 1 even when you use temporary red license plates from the dealer. You also have insurance from day 1. 

It is actually to your advantage as you don't need to pay for the road tax as long as you use the red license plates. And as I mentioned, there are many new car buyers that prefer to use the red license plates for longer (up to a year) to show off and to avoid paying road tax for a bit longer. 

But please let me know where you see the problem if you drive with red license plates for 7 months. I had mine only for 3 months and I guess if I would buy a car again, I would also think about keeping the red license plates for longer.

When I got my new Merc in 2013 the dealer told me that they will give me fake red plates till the new white plates arrive and any fine I incure bring the recepite in and they will pay it.

I got stopped and issued a fine one time with receipt 500 bhat when the new white plates arrived after 4 months the dealer gave me back cash 500 on giving them the receipt.

The fake plates do not have the stensiled numbers on it so easy to spot. One of my old neighbours b4 we moved had driven and still is driving on her fake plated on her 2012 merc she has.

All to be one upman ship. Amazing Thailand

No issues driving with red plates for longer. I had to wait 3 months. It's actually in your favour as you don't need to pay road tax as long as you have the red plates.

Acrually I know someone who had red license plate for nearly a year because a) he liked to show off that he had a new car and cool.png he wanted to avoid paying road tax.

However insurance was in my name since day 1 when I picked up my car.

I have seen cars on red plates for 3 years.........nothing special and noone seems to care.