Any news about the crackdown regarding back to back tourist visas?

Hi

The 12th of August was yesterday.

The notorious crackdown was suppsoed to be clarfified by yesterday as per what we have been told in so many articles.

Does anybody know anything about people who are making back to back tourist visas coming by land or air?

I am talking about the scneario of somebody who goes out of the country every 90 days, applies for a new tourist visa, comes back after few days usualy by air or even by land.

Is this still possible?

Thanks!

Yes, no problem,  the crack down was on visa exempt/visa waiver.

The 12th August was the date out/in will be restricted at Airport

Exactly correct.

There have been so many rumors and misinformation about the 12th. I have been posting about that for a long time now.

Thanks guys, but a lot have been said and many concerns have been raised that this goes Beyond visa exempts:

"The published letter may also be a strong indication that the Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates now also might have been instructed to be restrictive in issuing multiple back-to-back tourist visas."

There are many more articles about how this will affect also the ones who obtain proper tourists visas.

Was it all rumors?
Can you confirm this is effective ONLY for border runners who use the visa on arrival?

Exactly correct.

There have been so many rumors and misinformation about the 12th. I have been posting about that for a long time now.

Thanks guys, but a lot have been said and many concerns have been raised that this goes Beyond visa exempts:

"The published letter may also be a strong indication that the Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates now also might have been instructed to be restrictive in issuing multiple back-to-back tourist visas."

There are many more articles about how this will affect also the ones who obtain proper tourists visas.

Was it all rumors?
Can you confirm this is effective ONLY for border runners who use the visa on arrival?

A few tourist visas should be OK but if you have been exploiting them by living on back-to-back ones for say 3 years in a row, plus possibly have some visa exempt stamps, watch out. Otherwise you should be OK. Also, better to spend a few days outside Thailand in between entries though this may not be expressly required.

Also, Thai consulates and embassies have for YEARS been stopping or restricting the issuance of multiple back-to-back tourist visas. I have seen notices, mostly dated from 2011 at Thai consulates in Yangon, Kunming and Vientiane that mentioned no tourist visas will be issued if the applicant is believed to be applying for back-to-back visas and therefore possibly working illegally. Nothing to do with the current 2014 crackdown, other than perhaps the consulates have been instructed to be even more careful and scrutinize applicants further than in the past.

Honestly, mods need to go a step further specifically in the thai visa section and edit the title and/or the OP to accurately reflect the situation being described.

Headlines like 'Visa at airport denied' only to find out that it was a visa exempt (and/or 'out-in' status) would much better serve the reading audience with the title
"Visa exempt at airport denied"

With repetition, this will also encourage folks to use the correct terminology (visa vs permission to stay vs visa exempt vs visa on arrival vs extension).

I managed to secure non-o multiple for visiting family today in penang. More details to follow soon, but it was quite a line; 60-90 min. Not sure if the holiday the day before had something to do with it.

Honestly, mods need to go a step further specifically in the thai visa section and edit the title and/or the OP to accurately reflect the situation being described.

Headlines like 'Visa at airport denied' only to find out that it was a visa exempt (and/or 'out-in' status) would much better serve the reading audience with the title
"Visa exempt at airport denied"

With repetition, this will also encourage folks to use the correct terminology (visa vs permission to stay vs visa exempt vs visa on arrival vs extension).

I managed to secure non-o multiple for visiting family today in penang. More details to follow soon, but it was quite a line; 60-90 min. Not sure if the holiday the day before had something to do with it.

I am not opposed to your statement, but I am very pleased with how this thread has been moderated. I feel like I was able to process the information I was interested in easily and without unnecessary, arduous tangents impeding me. Thank you to the ThaiViasa.com team.

• Like 1

Exactly correct.

Was it all rumors?

"Can you confirm this is effective ONLY for border runners who use the visa on arrival?"

Visa Exempt Entries are not Visas on Arrival. If you're seeking speculation-free information, using incorrect terminology probably doesn't help.

• Like 1

Exactly correct.

Was it all rumors?

"Can you confirm this is effective ONLY for border runners who use the visa on arrival?"

Visa Exempt Entries are not Visas on Arrival. If you're seeking speculation-free information, using incorrect terminology probably doesn't help.

Can you please explain the difference between visa on arrival and visa exempt?

And even more important what has really changed since the 12th of August regarding tourists doing back to back visas to thailand by land or airport?

Take me for example, I have done 3 single entry tourists visa in Penang this year. I always go by plane and stay there for 3-4 days. 

In about 80 days I need to go out of Thailand and apply for a new visa, what should I do? And am I facing a risk of not entering?

Thanks!

Again theres no problem with getting back to back visas,as ive just got my 12th.You just have to change the embassy you go to .Vientinne gave me a red stamp after 4 in a row so after that i went to phnom penh and got another one.Woooopa

• Like 1

Can you please explain the difference between visa on arrival and visa exempt?
And even more important what has really changed since the 12th of August regarding tourists doing back to back visas to thailand by land or airport?
Take me for example, I have done 3 single entry tourists visa in Penang this year. I always go by plane and stay there for 3-4 days. 
In about 80 days I need to go out of Thailand and apply for a new visa, what should I do? And am I facing a risk of not entering?
Thanks!

Nothing has changed.
You should go to Savannakhet, Laos for a double entry tourist visa.

Are there any reports if immigration officers are asking 20,000 baht cash, outbound ticket & hotel reservation during entry to Thailand on a tourist visa? Is it a good idea to carry those just in case from now on?

Thanks

Nothing is being asked if you have a visa, and not even if you don't.

Right, so after all that talk, basically, for people who are on the tourist visas, they can stay in Thailand for the long-term ?
So, if you do get a red stamp at Vietianne when applying for a tourist visa, well, just go to Savannaket next time ? Or Phnom Penh ?

And the double entry tourist visa, you can still go to Laos or Cambodia, and walk back into Thailand on the same day, to get your next lot of 60 days ?

So, no need for people to re-locate to Sihanookville in Cambodia ??    :)

My experience with the old tourist visa limitations was that they would issue 3 tourist visas in 12 months and focus mainly on the amount of times extended, 3 also being maximum. Four of anything was always the impossible number. Maybe this is why people recommend the double-entry, does this beat the technicality?

I'd be interested to know if the Thai's will start enforcing the 180 days in a year. That's probably the next question on this thread.

My experience with the old tourist visa limitations was that they would issue 3 tourist visas in 12 months and focus mainly on the amount of times extended, 3 also being maximum. Four of anything was always the impossible number. Maybe this is why people recommend the double-entry, does this beat the technicality?

There is no such rule. After being denied a tourist visa (that's unlikely) one goes to a different consulate, and/or gets a new passport.

I'd be interested to know if the Thai's will start enforcing the 180 days in a year. That's probably the next question on this thread.

There is no such rule as 180 days in a year, or anything like that.

Are there any reports if immigration officers are asking 20,000 baht cash, outbound ticket & hotel reservation during entry to Thailand on a tourist visa? Is it a good idea to carry those just in case from now on?

Thanks

Nothing is being asked if you have a visa, and not even if you don't.

About 2 years ago, I was singled out at the Padang Besar crossing because I am a Turkish citizen. Although I had a brand new tourist visa from Penang, they told me that I need to have 20,000 bath with me. Of course I didn't have it. So they asked me to put 500 baht in the passport. Because there was a van waiting for me, I panicked and did it. Only then they allowed me in.

I hope they don't single out certain nationals at certain border crossings like this.

Edited by gezginrocker

About 2 years ago, I was singled out at the Padang Besar crossing because I am a Turkish citizen. Although I had a brand new tourist visa from Penang, they told me that I need to have 20,000 bath with me. Of course I didn't have it. So they asked me to put 500 baht in the passport Because there was a van waiting for me, I panicked and did it. So they allowed me in.

I hope they don't single out certain nationals at certain border crossings like this.

They do. So be prepared.

Exactly correct.

I just got back from a 3 day trip to KL this evening and was welcomed through immigration with a smile and no mention about my previous back to back tourist visas.

Thanks ubonjoe for being so clear about this in your earlier postings, it took all the stress out of the trip for me.

Actually, nothing has changed. A Lao girl just come back from Cambodia with another 30 days stamp. Her current 50 pages passport is almost full. It must be the 12th or 13th.

If has changed something, it's only against farangs. So at least, we know how welcome we are in Thailand.