Tethering on True 3G?

Spouse

Does the phone access Web content via 3G now?

It really depends on the options included in the version of your phone.  If the phone is U.S. or U.K. carrier branded then the option may have been disabled by the carrier.

Generally, any Android Smartphone purchased off-contract will have, as casualbiker points out, a setting to create a "Portable Hotspot", "Portable WiFi Hotspot", "Tethering", "Bluetooth tethering" or something similar available in System Settings -> More... -> Tethering & portable hotspot.

If the phone doesn't have the option in any of the System Setting menus, it may be possible to download a 'tethering' app.

Thanks. I can access 3g Internet on my phone but when I plug in the USB and then select tethering from the phone settings the laptop can't load any websites etc.

I've tethered with the phone before but by connecting to a wifi connection, not a 3g mobile data connection.

The laptop has no wifi card since it broke. Edited by Spouse

Thanks. I can access 3g Internet on my phone but when I plug in the USB and then select tethering from the phone settings the laptop can't load any websites etc.

I've tethered with the phone before but by connecting to a wifi connection, not a 3g mobile data connection.

The laptop has no wifi card since it broke.

Just get a wifi dongle .. they start at about 600baht.
  • Like 1

The laptop has no wifi card since it broke.

Wish you had mentioned in your OP that your Windows 7 Laptop WiFi was broken.

Still, a cabled tether should work, but your Android Phone will need a USB Tethering App as well to install the app-required virtual network adapter on your Win7 PC. 

SETUP PREP:

On your Android phone, try downloading "ClockworkMod Tether (no root)", it's actually a 13 day Trial Version. It will appear at 'Tether' in your app tray.
You will need to do a one-time SETUP to install the required PC network adapter driver/software:

Connect the Android Phone to your Laptop via USB cable. 

On the Android Phone, open the 'Tether' app.
Press the red-colored "?" question mark and select, "Download Tether for PC"
   - this will download the required PC software to your android's SD card (/ClockworkMod) folder. When the download completes, then...

On the Android Phone, share the SD card by swiping down on the Notification Bar to display active notifications and select "USB connected", and press the "Turn on USB storage" button. Acknowledge OK

On your PC, you should now be able to view one or more of the Android Phone memory locations (drives).

On your PC, open Windows Explorer (the windows used to view Files and Folders) and locate and open the drive/removable disk that contains "clockworkmod / tether / tetherWindowsSetup.msi  and open it.  It will install the required software on your PC. [Install this Driver Anyway] Then close any Explorer error windows, make any necessary choices to accommodate AntiVirus/Firewall software popups, and close the installer program when finished.

On your PC, reboot/restart your PC

On the Android Phone, press the button to "Turn off USB storage"

This completes the requires one-time SETUP

To use the Android Phone to tether to the Laptop:

Connected your Android Phone to your Laptop via a USB cable

On the Android Phone, open the 'Tether' app, tap the USB icon to start the Tether Service.
   ... a dialog may appear requesting you 'enable' USB debugging, required for this type of service to work, return to the 'Tether' app and verify that the USB icon in the app changes from GRAY (off) to RED (active).

[You can ignore the "USB connected" notifications, you don't require the SD memory card service right now]

On your PC, click the START button, ALL PROGRAMS, and click the ClockworkMod folder and click the "ClockworkMod Tether" application.  (If you want, you can create a shortcut to this icon and place it on your Desktop)

On your PC, in the Tether PC program, press the Start button (lower left corner). This will initialize the virtual network adapter

On your Android Phone, when the Phone to PC is working, the bottom half of your Tether app should display up/down bytes transferred statistics and is now sharing (tethering) your Android Phone's active Internet connection.

When the True H thugs are at your door demanding you make good on your close-to Cookie Run debt bill, press STOP to disconnect.

** Note: I had some initial trouble getting the two to connect but disabling and enabling USB Debugging, then stopping the service on the Phone and PC, then restarting both had the connection up instantaneously.

This is an example. Feel free to use another Android app (and their suggested PC virtual network adapter).

Yes, yes, I know. On an old Windows Phone this stuff just worked, or didn't. That's progress for you.