I year extension done today

I went to Kap Cheong immigration today to apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement.

I have been through this process 5 times so far. The immigration officer queried whether the statutory declaration re my monthly income from my Australian embassy was a copy. He was not happy that the stat. dec. was signed by my embassy with a black pen!

My better half assured him it was an original document and he was most unimpressed with the signature being with a black instead of a blue pen. At one stage he looked likely to not accept the veracity of the document due to the signature being done with the black pen.

Has anyone else had this issue with a stat. dec. from their embassy or was I just unlucky this time? I cannot remember if the embassy used a black or blue pen on previous occassions.

Good news is that I obtained my yearly extension but for a while it seemed that I may not. In which case I would have had to travel to Bangkok again to my embassy to redo the stat. dec!

Any helpful and informed replies are most welcome.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

I know how you feel and am glad to hear you did get your extension. The experience wouldn't have been worthwhile if you weren't first given the opportunity to squirm a little.

Thanks for posting the black ink warning. Hopefully some other TV members will request blue ink signatures from their embassies.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 2

You did well! I got my extension today too, third bite at the cherry. Stat Dec from Aussie had blue ink signature and was dated 18 March, so I just slipped under the radar in terms of embassy statements being valid for six months. I was also assured (Prachuap Immi) that bank statements are valid for seven days. 

In the unlikely event anyone is interested, can read my post yesterday as to why I had to apply three times... AA 

just lean back in the chair and let the better half deal with it, all of it.

smile and say as little as possible :)

(note to above: if on marriage extension expect to come back tomorrow they always, always find something else they need lol)
  • Like 2

Looking at the scans of my last 4 British Embassy income confirmation letters, I see that they were all signed in black ink, even by staff members who were apparently Thai! No probs with my local immigration office (Maptaput) as a result, though.

Completely the reverse of the situation in the UK. Officialdom there will really throw a small fit if you complete a form with a blue pen instead of a black one!

what difference does blue make then? I had an officer suggest my bank letter might be a forgery one year, as if.

I've been told by some government offices not to sign in black ink as it can't be distinguished from a photo copy (xerox).  Signed in blue gives a higher certainty it is an original.

what difference does blue make then? I had an officer suggest my bank letter might be a forgery one year, as if.

He wanted to look if you reacted anything like they taught him in "smart officer 101". Since you did not, he moved on with his day.

I know how you feel and am glad to hear you did get your extension. The experience wouldn't have been worthwhile if you weren't first given the opportunity to squirm a little.

Thanks for posting the black ink warning. Hopefully some other TV members will request blue ink signatures from their embassies.

"The experience wouldn't have been worthwhile if you weren't first given the opportunity to squirm a little."

... and the opportunity to share your squirm here.

It does seem a lot of immigrations-related stories now include things like:

- he looked at me suspiciously,

- I could tell he really didn't like the color of ink,

- he kept flipping through the pages in my passport,

- I almost didn't get the extension,

- she actually asked me questions !!!

I guess if your life doesn't have much drama, an active imagination will supply suspense and drama to fill in the lulls.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Any colour ink can be copied to an 'original' standard nowadays, even with a home printer.

I don't know about the Oz. Embassy but all British Embassy certified documents have an embossed stamp which won't copy very well.

And yes, everything has to be completed in black ink, like most legal documents worldwide.

With my Brother MFC printer, I could make a color copy of a document signed with blue ink and it would look quite authentic so I think the preference for documents signed in blue is outmoded.

With my Brother MFC printer, I could make a color copy of a document signed with blue ink and it would look quite authentic so I think the preference for documents signed in blue is outmoded.

It is not a preference, it's an agony cough after exhausting all other hassling reasons. 

"The experience wouldn't have been worthwhile if you weren't first given the opportunity to squirm a little."

... and the opportunity to share your squirm here.

It does seem a lot of immigrations-related stories now include things like:

- he looked at me suspiciously,

- I could tell he really didn't like the color of ink,

- he kept flipping through the pages in my passport,

- I almost didn't get the extension,

- she actually asked me questions !!!

I guess if your life doesn't have much drama, an active imagination will supply suspense and drama to fill in the lulls.

And your point is what? How has your reply assisted others? Are you suggesting I or others are imagining these experiences?

Replies such as yours lend nothing to the board.

More sensible people actually appreciate hearing about other peoples experiences at immigration.

• Like 1