Bangkok Metropolitan Police to clamp all illegally parked cars

webfact

What is "overtaking a vehicle at close range" ??

Not sure, but I imagine that it is one of my favourite complaints about drivers in Thailand. Many here approach from the rear at high speed and tail gate until they see their chance to over take - then out into the oncoming traffic, then suddenly cut back in, in a manner which causes you to need to brake to avoid being hit by them. 

This would seem to fit the phrase completely.

Edited by tigermonkey
  • Like 1

They must have 1000s of clamps,and they are going to be very busy

They seem to have just realized this can be a nice little earner,did they 

send someone over to UK to gain training and insight.

regards Worgeordie

Quick, get in the clamp wholesale biz and sell the hundreds of thousands the police will need to carry out this task.

Do not cash in by selling clamp busting methods.

just increase the fine and you save hell of a lot of money and man power. Only way to hurt the recalcitrants are their pockets not inconveniences.

Unless you have a huge range of fines you won't hurt the rich as they will just see it as a way to pay a bit of money to park where they want plus you've got to get the fine from them as well. They might be more concerned about finding they can't just drive off when they return. Maybe towing away would work better.

" After a period of crackdown, Pol Maj-Gen Adul said illegal parking were still found on restricted areas such as secondary roads and narrow lanes, causing inconveniences and traffic problems to commuters."

If these cars are clamped in these places, won't they still cause traffic problems?

I'd imagine the presence of extra policing vehicles and potential tow vehicles would cause more traffic probelms. Wouldn't you?

No idea. However replacing one bad idea with another is hardly going to help. Towing I would imagine would cause a lot of problems, but so will immobile vehicles. In the long term towing and large recovery fees might be a better solution.

Something needs to be done though.

To some degree, maybe charging the offender with the towing fee and attendance fee, on tp of the offence fee, would add a little extra weight and attention to not offending in the first place?

" After a period of crackdown, Pol Maj-Gen Adul said illegal parking were still found on restricted areas such as secondary roads and narrow lanes, causing inconveniences and traffic problems to commuters."

If these cars are clamped in these places, won't they still cause traffic problems?

I'd imagine the presence of extra policing vehicles and potential tow vehicles would cause more traffic probelms. Wouldn't you?
No idea. However replacing one bad idea with another is hardly going to help. Towing I would imagine would cause a lot of problems, but so will immobile vehicles. In the long term towing and large recovery fees might be a better solution.

Something needs to be done though.

To some degree, maybe charging the offender with the towing fee and attendance fee, on tp of the offence fee, would add a little extra weight and attention to not offending in the first place?

Works for me.

'... illegal parking were [sic] still found on restricted areas ... causing inconveniences and traffic problems to commuters.' So, they'll clamp them ... and the inconvenience and problems will continue until the driver eventually returns, then finds his way to the relevant station to pay the fine, then returns again to the car to move it. Why not simply tow the offending vehicles away and charge the drivers a tow fee as well as fining them? ;

'The new crackdown is expected to resolve traffic problems and instill discipline into drivers in order to create a safe driving environment.' Yeah, right! Take them off the road, make them resit the test, including a practical segment, and see how many actually pass.

• Like 1