U.S. Passport- How Long Does It Take To Get It Back By Mail?

alansiporin

The U.S. Embassy is expected to come to Phuket on 22 October. I planned to use their service to get a new passport which I understand can be mailed back to me.
I will be getting my new retirement extension on 18 August, so my next 90 day report should be about 18 November.
Will my old and new passports arrive in time for me to do the 18 November report on time?
Thanks.

It takes about 2 weeks to get the new one. My last one took 10 days about three years ago.

They don't keep the old one while processing the new one. You keep the old one and it remains valid until you pick up the new one and they cancel the old one at that time.

However, If you do the application during the outreach visit instead of in BKK I think they do have to take your passport to BKK to finish their verification. I think they could return it to you by EMS a couple of days later. You could verify that at the outreach visit.

Two additional questions:
1. I thought that the 90 day report had to be done approximately every 90 days. So if the extension is issued on 18 August, isn't the next 90 day report due on about 18 November?
2, I also thought that the outreach people take the old passport with them and punch holes in it when the new passport is issued. Then the two passports are mailed.
Thanks for any clarifications on my thinking.