problem tourist visa - noob!

hi,

need to get some advice from people who know - thank you!

i am german living in germany, have traveled to thailand many times, stayed here in all more than 2 years. i always did on 30 day tourist visa on arrival. i have never worked here.

now my problem: on arrival this time, i did not receive a 30 day visa. upon seeing my many visa stamps, the officer decided to give me just 29 days - one day less than i need. when i asked, she suggested leaving the country to get a new visa which will include this last day missing. not nice.

since i have no experience with this matter at all and did not find answers in the forum valid after august 12, i please need to know:

1 - if i leave the country and come back, do i get another visa on arrival? or do i need to get an extension at a consulate? how much is it?

2 - how many days do i get when doing this visa run as a tourist (ie when can i do it earliest planning to leave sept 09)?

3 - what will i expect if not extending my visa and showing up at the airport with my visa one day short?

thank you so much in advance!

You don't get a tourist visa on entry you get a visa exempt entry.

I think you need to recount the days including the date of entry and include all the days of this month. I think you got the normal 30 days,

If you only have one day of overstay and are leaving by either airport in Bangkok you will not be fined if it is less than 24 hours.

Is the 30 days all you plan on staying this trip?

hi ubonjoe,

thank you for getting back. i arrived aug 10, will leave sept 09. that's it.

as far as i remember, on previous entries this counted as 30 days.

on monday i will ask at immigration jomtien. you give me hope. ;-)

That is 31 days, you must count arrival and leaving days, because you have been in Thailand on these days.

You do not need to go to immigration unless you want to spend time and Bt 1,900 for an extension that you don't really need.

See ubonjoe answer for the rest.

Edited by paz

Was it a late night flight?  Did you arrive after midnight, Thai time?  You may have thought you were on the particular date of your flight, but the Immigration date stamps turned over at midnight to the next day.

In any case, why not just get the 7 day extention?

Ahhhh, they are still issuing them, aren't they? 

Edited by NamKangMan