Life insurance required for a bank's safety deposit box?

Grin Grasser

In Pattaya, I visited a couple of branches of a couple of banks.

At one branch, the bank's customer service representative said that in order for me to rent a safety deposit box, I had to pay 600,000 baht for a life insurance policy.

She said that the policy would pay 3 million baht to my family upon my death.

When I said that I would have to think about it, she asked me very anxiously if I would return this afternoon or tomorrow?

I was suspicious, because I had never heard of a life insurance policy as a requirement for a bank's safety deposit box. And, I am obviously a senior who probably looked like I got a foot in a grave.

Later, at another branch of the same bank, the bank representative made no mention of a requirement for a life insurance policy to rent a safety deposit box.

By the way, in the forum Lawyer, I read the post "Bank Fraud". The OP cited a bank that had him put part of the visa-required 800,000 baht into an insurance policy. Sounds like bank officials have been turned into insurance sales agents.

"the bank's customer service representative said that in order for me to rent a safety deposit box, I had to pay 600,000 baht for a life insurance policy."

Are you sure the bank didn't mean to sell you a 600k insurance policy in order to qualify for renting a safety deposit box?

• Like 1

"the bank's customer service representative said that in order for me to rent a safety deposit box, I had to pay 600,000 baht for a life insurance policy."

Are you sure the bank didn't mean to sell you a 600k insurance policy in order to qualify for renting a safety deposit box?

I asked, does this branch have available safety deposit boxes?

She answered, the branch has safety deposit boxes but there is a requirement for a box.

I asked, what requirement?

She said, you have to pay 600,000 baht for insurance.

I said, 600,000 baht is too much money for a safety deposit box.

She said, but when you die, your family gets 3-million baht.

I said, I have to think about it.

She asked eagerly, will you come back today or tomorrow?

-----------------

As mentioned elsewhere, another branch of this bank did not state that there was a requirement to buy anything in order to rent a safety deposit box.

Also, I did return a week later to open a savings account. The lady who tried to sell me the life insurance policy was not there. Nobody else in the branch mentioned anything about buying anything.

But, I gave up for awhile on renting a safety deposit box.