How do I avoid being scammed when renting a condo?

joshuatdixon

I have found a good deal, not too good to be true though. However I would like to take the proper precautions, so I do not become the victim of the next craigslist type scam and have my money taken and ran with.

Is there a way to find the actual condo owners name so I can verify such? If this was an apartment I assume it would be easier since the management company would be in the same building, but I figure condos could possibly be a bit riskier in this aspect.

And advice is appreciated, I am brand new to this.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ask the owner for the chanote (the title deed) for the unit. If you want to be extra safe, go with the owner to the land office and verify there.

I agree to veleron. For me, the wisest thing you can do is to find a reputable company that has a legit offers. Make sure to do a background investigation. Ask also the company if they have papers to operate. I have known a friend that refer me to Marina One Residences @ Marina Bay. I already purchase a unit and I know they are legit.

Thanks very much guys! This is the info I was looking for!

Cheers!