Three Thais arrested in Japan for reckless driving

webfact

There is a special prison in Japan for traffic violations... you will go there for a first a offense of drunk driving, but usually it's for multiple offenders. I don't know if they qualified. With the public disgust for this, I'm sure some authorities are really looking to slam the foreigners hard, but it wouldn't surprise me if they just send the 3 guys back home.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a special prison in Japan for traffic violations... you will go there for a first a offense of drunk driving, but usually it's for multiple offenders. I don't know if they qualified. With the public disgust for this, I'm sure some authorities are really looking to slam the foreigners hard, but it wouldn't surprise me if they just send the 3 guys back home.

Geez I hope not, who wants them here apart from their mothers?

Hope they get more than a 500 baht fine and a slap on the wrist, which is what they might have expected in Thailand.

the Japanese don't give a dam who you are! those fools are going to prison, no probation, no tea money, just a japanese jail. good on them!

I once saw the same thing happen in San Francisco, A thai made a rolling stop and when stopped, almost had a heart attack when the Cop tok his license (because he did not have a california license, took him to H.Q and was told that the fine was a huindred fifty dollars!

they drive like idiots here but when they get to a civilized country the wake up real fast!

it wiuld surprise me! the japanese don't play games! do the crime and do the time!

it wiuld surprise me! the japanese don't play games! do the crime and do the time!

Phew, that's a relief keep the scum where they belong.

They probably thought they could get away with driving the way they do in Thailand, i.e. with no consideration for others and buying their way out of the consequences of any accidents. I hope the Japanese throw the book at all of them.

This could be a sobering, no pun intended, experience with no chance of a phone call resulting in a Chalerm like relative arriving and screaming ' do you know who I am ? " OR no call resulting in a call to the police resulting in the cell door opening.

of course depending on who the 3 are, or think they are, no lesson can / will be learned as it will be all the fault of the Japanese.

In the light of this very sad accident, I'd like to hope it wakes up Thai authorities into seeing how wreckless and drink-driving is dealt with on the international circuit. If these lads to go down (which is very, very likely), then Thailand will have lost face and will crack down on farang drivers here (playground mentality abounds). However, they may decide to crack down altogether, and deal out the same punishments to their own - and that must surely be the start of traffic laws being taken seriously.... if ever.

The excuse will probably be "I couldn't stop in time because I was drunk". Like the guy who crashed his lamborghini because he was driving "150kph in the rain", maybe they think its a legitimate excuse.

Japanese police nab 3 Thais over death of Japanese student
By Digital Content

14084249216899.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 19 -- Japanese police are questioning three Thai nationals involved in a car accident after the car they were travelling in hit two Japanese students, killing one of them and leaving the other in critical condition, according to the Thai Foreign Affairs Ministry (MFA).

Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs Sihasak Phungketkeao, acting Foreign Affairs Minister, told the press today that he received a report that Japanese police arrested three Thai citizens for allegedly running over two Japanese students on the road in Choshi city in Chiba province on August 14, killing a male student and severely injuring a female student at the scene.

Mr Sihasak said he has no further details about what had happened, the identities of the Thais, or their current status.

He emphasized, however, that since an accident has happened, the three Thais must oblige by Japanese laws and regulations.

Mr Sihasak said the MFA would be responsible to provide conveniences in fighting the case, including providing an attorney for the defendants.

Meanwhile, MFA spokesman Sek Wannamethee said the Thai Embassy in Tokyo has confirmed that the incident did occur, and that the three Thais are being investigated by the Japanese police.

The Thai Embassy in Tokyo has coordinated with the Japanese authorities on the matter and is closely monitoring developments. However the embassy disclosed that Japan has not yet given any further details about the three Thai suspects in custody.

Mr Sek said that once the detained Thais are allowed a visit, Thai embassy officials will make the trip and are ready to give further support, but none of the suspects have asked for assistance yet. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-08-19

What's next, protests at the Japanese Embassy and a call to boycott Japanese goods ?

Bound to be some nut who will suggest it.

Well I would not miss any Jap goods personally.In my wanders around Thailand I must admit I have seen very few.In fact cannot think of seeing any

Interesting to see a first world justice system in action. No names released and no moronic photos of the perps with the family of the deceased pointing at them. And no 500 THB fine...

Also very interesting that the killing has prompted the Japanese to call for the end of free visa on arrivals for Thais.

I hope updates on this event will be available. And wouldn't it be grand if Thai citizens became amply aware of it... not that it would change anything in Lack of Sanctions (LOS) however.

• Like 1

are thais allowed to drive anything outside of thailand?

is their driver licence in any other language than thai, thus illegal ?

I think this question was answered earlier.

Maybe they had international or Japanese driving licences.

Or maybe the simply thought the Thai licence was the bees knees everywhere.

I was thinking of this thread today when I left my house in western Tokyo and made a left turn from one major street (four lane) onto another major street. Just as I was starting to turn, a high school girl in uniform who was riding her bicycle up toward the intersection on the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street going pretty fast made a flash right turn and suddenly was in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and stopped before I entered the crosswalk. High school kids are fearless! They often make moves like this. You have to be very alert. Phew!

People should not be operating a vehicle or machinery whilst experiencing effects of any psychoactive drug, regardless of the legal status of the drug. So many people think ethanol is quite harmless (and not even a "drug") because it is legally and easily available and accepted in society. The truth is that ethanol is a recreational drug, and causes more harm than many other recreational drugs, with this tragic incident being one of many examples.

Possibly the severely injured female student may be permanently disabled (physically and / or mentally) for the rest of her life.

With the consumption of any recreational drug, whether it be ethanol, methamphetamine, cannabis, or MDMA, great care should be taken in order to minimize the risk of harm to others and the drug consumers themselves. Education of the public on responsible consumption of recreational drugs would help to enable this.

It's disappointing and shameful that the general lack of care for others or themselves of Thai people on drugs had played out in this case.

I was thinking of this thread today when I left my house in western Tokyo and made a left turn from one major street (four lane) onto another major street. Just as I was starting to turn, a high school girl in uniform who was riding her bicycle up toward the intersection on the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street going pretty fast made a flash right turn and suddenly was in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and stopped before I entered the crosswalk. High school kids are fearless! They often make moves like this. You have to be very alert. Phew!

Yup and if you had been drunk she would probably be dead.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

According to traffic rules, a person lending his car to another person who is found guilty of drunk driving and causing death or injuries will face the same punishment as the driver.

WOW alt=w00t.gif>

Huh? What car? My CAR?!!

*phones police* My car got stolen by that bastard, counter sues the lending car charge with stolen car charge. laugh.png

I'm interested to know how they can charge 3 for wreckless driving, when only one was at the wheel.

One can be charged for accompanying a drunken driver, but three can't be in possession of the wheel at the same time, unless they had a different agenda when driving. wink.png

Maybe no single person will admit to being the driver and tried to pass the blame to their mates. Maybe Japan has a law which makes them all equally responsible in those circumstances - collective responsibility.

Don't know - just offering a possible explanation to your question.

Edited by MartinL

are thais allowed to drive anything outside of thailand?

is their driver licence in any other language than thai, thus illegal ?

I think this question was answered earlier.

Maybe they had international or Japanese driving licences.

Or maybe the simply thought the Thai licence was the bees knees everywhere.

Or.....Maybe they had no license at all !

• Like 1

I'm interested to know how they can charge 3 for wreckless driving, when only one was at the wheel.

One can be charged for accompanying a drunken driver, but three can't be in possession of the wheel at the same time, unless they had a different agenda when driving. wink.png

Maybe no single person will admit to being the driver and tried to pass the blame to their mates. Maybe Japan has a law which makes them all equally responsible in those circumstances - collective responsibility.

Don't know - just offering a possible explanation to your question.

In Thailand, "not me sir" and everyone goes home?

But this happen in Japan and maybe someone IS going to be held responsible for death of cyclist.

Hope they get more than a 500 baht fine and a slap on the wrist, which is what they might have expected in Thailand.

500 baht is a little low isn't it? I knew people who got busted for drunk driving and they had to pay 10,000 baht. They were thais as well.

Thai man Chachengsao province killed 2 English cyclists last year, he got a 1,000 Baht fine a suspended sentence...

Drunk drivers are found everywhere alcohol is is available, I would imagine.

The dead seem to take second place in the postings. Let Japanese justice deal with these people.

Adding hate, prejudice and bigotry only serves to camouflage the victims who cannot speak.