I Want To Move To Thailand

sem087

Are there any expats that completely fell in love with Thailand and decided to live there for a while?

If so I too went to Thailand and stayed there for a few weeks on vacation; since then I have not stopped thinking about Thailand; I really want to go back there but this time I want to stay for a while.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to:

1. Where and how I can find a job?

I have a degree from an American University in International Business and World Trade, I am a native NY English speaker, I'd prefer not to teach english if at all possible.

2. Where should I look to live, I would think Bangkok would be the most practical.

If anyone could assist me I'd really appreciate it; also if anyone is in the same boat as I am please email me I'd like to get to know you more.

Sincerely,

Scott Mirsky

NY

Is s/he cute?

Anyway, of course Thailand is strangely addictive. Maybe something in the water (oh forgot, you can't drink the water).

You will probably want to post more details about your age and work experience to get better feedback about your job prospects.

I have heard it is possible to start out teaching English and network like mad and eventually land other work that way. Of course, that way you won't be on an inflated expat package ...

Good luck, if you are really motivated, there is likely a way.

Are there any expats that completely fell in love with Thailand and decided to live there for a while?

If so I too went to Thailand and stayed there for a few weeks on vacation; since then I have not stopped thinking about Thailand; I really want to go back there but this time I want to stay for a while.

I have a degree from an American University in International Business and World Trade, I am a native NY English speaker, I'd prefer not to teach english if at all possible.

2. Where should I look to live, I would think Bangkok would be the most practical.

If anyone could assist me I'd really appreciate it; also if anyone is in the same boat as I am please email me I'd like to get to know you more.

Sincerely,

Scott Mirsky

NY

:D CAUTION

It appears you are an intelligent person. Please don't let me pop your bubble, but living for some time in Thailand is NOT the same as a vacation in Thailand. Be aware, day to day life in Thailand has a lot of differences from having a vacation in Thailand.

Having said that, Bangkok may be your best introduction to life in Thailand. A way to get your feet wet. But Bangkok is NOT New York. Expect a lot of adjustments required.

As for getting a job in Thailnd; yes, it is possible but not easy. Whether you get a job often depends who you know (the old boy network). Not necessarily based on your qualifications, but who you know. If you can sell yourself, you may convince the right person.

Be prepared to wait for some time with only low-paying jobs until you get the job you want. In fact, unless you have the funds to live at an acceptable live style in Bangkok you probably shouldn't try to live. What's an acceptable life style? That depends on you, and what you want to accept. It can get pretty old trying to live in Thailand if all you have in constant money hassles.

What I would say is: if you have the funds, give it a try for 6 months to a year. Then make your decision based on your experiences.

Good luck, and hope you enjoy Land of Smiles.

:o

So you've been bitten by the bug too? Me too! I am absolutely, thoroughly in love in Thailand and have pretty much the same goals. I've been there many times over the years, but (unforunately) am not ready to make the leap.

Here are a few links you may find helpful:

Retire Early Lifestyle

The Pattaya Expats Club - expats helping expats

Learn Thai

Mostly tourist info, but still lots of good information on Bangkok

Useful Thai Phrases

Good luck!

Edited by dougrobinson2024

Look to the appropriate sections of the forums and on the main pages and you will find tons of info ....

However ... if you haven't had a LONG triip to Thailand in the past (over 3 months) I would suggest doing that BEFORE considering moving here

Absolutely back jdinasia,

Save some cake and live in Tland wherever you may be interested in staying, something like 6 months.

I'm from Boston, 39, so obviously I'm your standard B-Irish git, but lived around the US and Europe and in the Carib somewhat. I ended up quitting my US corporate gig to come here and do the export thing, so I have a bit of eyes-open, yet still am challenged here. I'll never talk somebody down from jumping an adventure, but Asia is SO much different from the US, I advise a test period. That being said, I guess that I'd have said that it was inadvisable for me and still done it anyway!

Best of luck, either way!

I have had 3 friends NOT make it ... one returned back to the US (and was then 10 years behind ... from just 6 months over here...)

the other 2 are just bitter expats that can't adjust at all ....

(That being said I have MANY friends that LOVE it here) But most are limited to ex-pat/tourist areas ....

Thailand IS NOT paradise! If you have money and common sense it is a great place to live. I prefer the slower pace of life in Udon Thani. But I'm 50 and so 'been there done that' with regards to the bigger cities.

I would not advise working here. Make your money in the states and than give it a try. You can always vacation here until you have enough cash/pension. You have one plus going for you.......direct flight from NY to BKK.

Good luck.

The problem with most jobs in Thailand is you will be working for a Thai boss.

Thais can be wonderful, charming, people, especially the women.

But as bosses, Thais are totally different than what you experience when here on vacation.

"Charming" and "boss" never go together for Thais.

To get an accurate picture, think of "master" and "slave", because, as an employee, that's how you'll be treated.

I've seen it here countless times.

I have a degree from an American University in International Business and World Trade

You are on the wrong track already.

Do you have blond hair?

Blue eyes?

Are you tall and slim?

Do you have Caucasian, white, skin?

In the Thai value system, personal appearance is usually more important than the details of any degree.

Plus, there are many occupations here which are allowed by law only to Thais.

I suggest you do the research to find those few occupations that might be allowed to you.

As for your previous experience of staying here "for a few weeks on vacation" and now wanting to live and work here, well, bring a lunch and get in line.

It's a very, very, long line of other people eager to do that, too.

You'll be competing with all of them for the few jobs open to foreigners.

Best advice I can offer is to save up enough money to get over here for three months minimum.

Live, eat, sleep, and, yes, play here for at least three months.

Then ask on this forum again.

Until you've done that, you're just standing in line with all the other dreamers.

I've been living in Bangkok for several years.

It's great.

I love it. Yes, Bangkok.

But I'm retired.

For a retired man with money to spend, Thailand is an earthly paradise, because I am the "boss" and the Thais work for me every day, in the hotel where I live, in restaurants where I eat, and in stores where I shop.

But if you must work to earn a living, it will be a very different story.

People on this Forum always say life is soooooo different out here, it's different for sure, but not like a white man living in Nigera different. Don't for one second think different is a negative thing, thats half what makes living in Thailand fun!

I say just jump on a flight and keep your fingers crossed, the worst that can happen is that you will have to go home after some time as you will run out of money. Don't be a "dreamer" like most of this forum, just book your flight and get your arse over here, buy the Bangkok Post every day to look for a job. Either way, if you stay or have to go home, you will learn alot from the experience.

I'm guessing maybe just a few. :o

People on this Forum always say life is soooooo different out here, it's different for sure, but not like a white man living in Nigera different. Don't for one second think different is a negative thing, thats half what makes living in Thailand fun!

I say just jump on a flight and keep your fingers crossed, the worst that can happen is that you will have to go home after some time as you will run out of money. Don't be a "dreamer" like most of this forum, just book your flight and get your arse over here, buy the Bangkok Post every day to look for a job. Either way, if you stay or have to go home, you will learn alot from the experience.

Spot on, well said.

My plan is to move there at the end of next year, but may even go in the begining of next year.

Depends how my little business goes, To me Thailand is paradise, its not to some, but I like the simple life and everything Thailand has to offer.

I cant wait till I get there, im sure I will be drinking all of you under the table with ease

Sincerely,

Scott Mirsky

NY

I think you should have a realistic impression of what to expect. Since you did not mention any work experience I assume you are a recent college graduate. I would also assume that you have realized what your degree is worth in the States. I would guess an entry level job in a large corporation around $30,000 per year in the US.

In Thailand I would estimate about $3000 per year. Unless you luck onto something I would say teaching will be the only option.

A reasonable man moving to another country looking for employment would speak the language and have some job experience relating to that country.

My daughter has a degree from a Japanese University in International Business and Marketing and is a native English speaker and is fluent in Japanese. She was offered four times the money to be a translator as opposed to offers in business management.

I cant wait till I get there, im sure I will be drinking all of you under the table with ease

Donz,I like your posts but you have gone WAY too far here.I have worked lond and and hard to be able to put away the ammount of alcohol I now can,and resent threats from young wannabes like you. :o

Donz - you are from Sydney - I am originally Australian, and to be honest, I really think that a hard drinking Australian is about equivalent to an average expat (of any origin) over here in Thailand. I am currently in the UK but usually live in Bangkok and some of the expats do nothing BUT drink.... :o

Even here in England, we drink at least four to six PINTS of beer (Stella usually) a night just as a quickie on the way home before dinner - seven days a week! I worry that maybe one day I may be an alcoholic, but not for now...

Anyway - the point of the question was to advise this American chappie about coming here - I agree completely with those who say to give it a go, but also be prepared to live on your savings for a while. I don't think it is realistic to say that you would only earn one tenth of your salary back in the US, but it is certainly likely to be less than you could earn there.

I first arrived to live in BKK in 1992, and immediately had to ask myself if I could put up with it. Two days later, I had my answer - I loved it, and have done ever since.

The difference is that I did not come to Thailand "cold" (no job or place to live etc) as I had been asked to come here by a local company. I was also very lucky in that I had studied Thai at uni in Australia for several months. Those few basics are what really make a difference to the first weeks and months.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Edited by Greer

First off I'd like to thank you all for your advise and support; i was amazed to see how many responses i got.

For all of you who advised me to try living abroad first before i make the plunge to move to Thailand, wanted to let you know that I spent the last year and a half living in South Korea, and in that time I travelled to virtually every single country in Asia for at least 2 weeks.

To those of you who wanted more specs on me here it is:

Male

25 yr old

Native NYer

White Caucasian

Languages: proficient in spanish,korean

Resume available upon request

My email [email protected]

Thanks again!

Try this web site topjobgun You will see average salary for some job and post you resume there you may get lucky.. Cost of living in BKK is cheaper than NY but it's not that cheap.. If you really want to stay in thailand . I suggest go to THai Temple in your area and Learn Thai Language or ask them about it, It will help your life easier.In L A they have at thai temple here. I don't know about NY .. good luck

Your response has been printed and will be reserved for a special spot in my journal for when i do, do the trip!

Thanks for that i appreciate it.

I'm guessing maybe just a few. :o

Spot on, well said.

Try this web site topjobgun You will see average salary for some job and post you resume there you may get lucky.. Cost of living in BKK is cheaper than NY but it's not that cheap.. If you really want to stay in thailand . I suggest go to THai Temple in your area and Learn Thai Language or ask them about it, It will help your life easier.In L A they have at thai temple here. I don't know about NY .. good luck

Well noted...will definately check that out...if CA has it NY has to have something

• 1 year later...

Wow, such a great post for a first post. You are going to be a great addition to Thai Visa. And I am not sure that you noticed, but you are replying to a thread that has been dead for 2 years now.