Bathroom Electrics

windosill

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice with regards to the water heater in my bathroom. It's right next to my shower and a socket. There was exposed wiring, so I asked my landlord to send an electrician round to sort it out. The attached photos show what it looks like now, but I still don't think it's safe. There seems to be a blue wire behind the water heater and I also don't think the wire from the extractor fan is safe either. Any electricians out there who could take a look at the photos and let me know your thoughts?

Thanks,

post-31286-0-80840200-1408397552_thumb.j

post-31286-0-32164200-1408397564_thumb.j

post-31286-0-92644100-1408397573_thumb.j

Is a 5KW shower wired in 2.5mm single cables safe?

The maunfacturers instructions say it should be 4mm, but i can't see any reason for that, cos there's 4amps to the KW, right? So that's only a total of 20 amps. 2.5mm should be able to handle that easy, no? (the earth is 2.5mm as well, in case that makes a difference)

Another thing, when i use the shower, the bathroom lights flicker sometimes. I have taken a brief look at the wiring and can't find any evicence that the circuits are linked in any way.

Its kinda strange. Hope someone can shed some light on it, haha

Thanks.

2.5mm2 singles in air are good for 25A http://www.bangkokcable.com/product/backoffice/file_upload/131004_2-450!750V%2070C%2060227%20IEC%2002.pdf will need de-rating somewhat in conduit.

5kW shower will be about 22A, unless you are in to taking 1 hour showers the 2.5 will be fine.

The lights dipping slightly when the load comes on is quite normal for the, usually undersized, overhead feeders found here, not something to worry about.