Will the military ever enforce pedestrian crossings?

eeeya

This one gives me a real laugh.

Me and my 8 month pregnant wife trying to cross the road at a pedestrian crossing. We got to the middle of the road and waited for the other side to clear.

One taxi flashed his lights and beeped his horn and speed up, then a lady stopped for us but another taxi wasn't having any of this and over took the lady who had stopped.

yep, that's how it works here. why don't they just save the white paint and not bother painting the crossing?

I wonder if this will be on the list of crack downs?

• Like 2

Its appalling behavior but TIT, compare to NYC where I used to live where it was so easy to walk from block to block safely, now I have to be on full alert crossing any road in Thailand, even the foot paths are not save from Motorcycles. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Being a pedestrian in Bangkok is certainly risky business even on the sidewalk. I have no idea if there is any law giving pedestrians the right of way in crosswalks but it would not appear to be the case. Emergency vehicles are not even given the right of way. The most dangerous situation is where a car will stop for you but motorcycles will over take the car on the blind side. Very unsafe and simply no courtesy given to pedestrians. Walk at your own risk!!

• Like 1

Don't think that Thai drivers even know what these crossings mean...........are they included in the driving test rules and regulations/training?

post-92327-0-01558200-1408510115_thumb.p

from the thai driving computer test

• Like 1

Don't think that Thai drivers even know what these crossings mean...........are they included in the driving test rules and regulations/training?

attachicon.gifpedestrian.png

Good point eeeya.......... but does it say anything about the markings indicating a pedestrian crossing and what it is for?

A long time since I took my driving test in a Western country, however I'm sure that we were told what a pedestrian crossing was for and indeed to look out for pedestrians on them, or even to slow down when approaching them/be ready for pedestrians to cross.

Here I have seen so many people escape injury by the skin of their teeth because motorists and motorcyclists have paid no heed to the fact that there are pedestrian crossing markings on the road and have simply sped by, irrespective of the fact that there are people standing there waiting to cross – – even overtaking a car in the unlikely event that it has slowed down.

attachicon.gifpedestrian.png

Good point eeeya.......... but does it say anything about the markings indicating a pedestrian crossing and what it is for?

A long time since I took my driving test in a Western country, however I'm sure that we were told what a pedestrian crossing was for and indeed to look out for pedestrians on them, or even to slow down when approaching them/be ready for pedestrians to cross.

Here I have seen so many people escape injury by the skin of their teeth because motorists and motorcyclists have paid no heed to the fact that there are pedestrian crossing markings on the road and have simply sped by, irrespective of the fact that there are people standing there waiting to cross – – even overtaking a car in the unlikely event that it has slowed down.

I've been driving here for a while now and I realize the pedestrian crossing is a difficult situation, if you stop, traffic goes crazy around you and you risk getting rear ended by some one who doesnt understand why you stopped when there is no red traffic light about.

but on the other side of the argument if you nail someone who is using the crossing your probably not gonna have a good day and i'm sure the police will see to that.

how can you change driving culture which sux so bad?

• Like 1

They installed loads of them in Pattaya and nobody , including the police took a blind bit of notice of them.

I even think there are videos on youtube showing the ignoring them.

Now they are just more flashing lights to go with the rest of the neons at a night time.

Ahhhhh....i wrote about this a few years ago...the battle to cross on a zebra crossing, had one guy try to muscle me off the footpath in his big black 4wd another almost ran me over driving into supermarket car park, and on my very last day in BKK cars actually stopped at a zebra crossing myself and about 15 Thais crossing and we all know how slow Thais walk I'm out there in front when a motor cycle flys through and takes me down....4 hrs before I'm due to fly home after a year there and with ex TGF's words ring in my ear....please be carful when you cross the road ka, i managed to be able to limp away but I'm glad to say the bike came off worse, it wasn't rideable.

• 2 weeks later...

Its appalling behavior but TIT, compare to NYC where I used to live where it was so easy to walk from block to block safely, now I have to be on full alert crossing any road in Thailand, even the foot paths are not save from Motorcycles. coffee1.gif

To the OP. They won't crack down on unlicenced drivers and underage motorcycle riders, so what chance have you got? The general seems to be more interested in this visa and that visa, more than anything else.

Ahhhhh....i wrote about this a few years ago...the battle to cross on a zebra crossing, had one guy try to muscle me off the footpath in his big black 4wd another almost ran me over driving into supermarket car park, and on my very last day in BKK cars actually stopped at a zebra crossing myself and about 15 Thais crossing and we all know how slow Thais walk I'm out there in front when a motor cycle flys through and takes me down....4 hrs before I'm due to fly home after a year there and with ex TGF's words ring in my ear....please be carful when you cross the road ka, i managed to be able to limp away but I'm glad to say the bike came off worse, it wasn't rideable.

I was in a carpark back in the UK, and I was walking slowly with my ankle in a stooky, when a car approached and pumped the horn at me, I approached the car with my fist clenched to deck the driver, when I saw it was woman.

I was in a carpark back in the UK, and I was walking slowly with my ankle in a stooky, when a car approached and pumped the horn at me, I approached the car with my fist clenched to deck the driver, when I saw it was woman.

Cool story, bro.

• Like 1