When boredom starts to rule the day

swissie

It's easy to get bored if you don't have something to occupy your time. It's the bane of all retirees. I am lazy but try to keep up an exercise routine and read interesting books.

I am 57 and have been contemplating retirement. I have been to Thailand over a dozen times and oOn some of my longer stays in Thailand (75 days) I do get a bit bored. I am an engineer and in general like my work, although some jobs are definitely not fun. I am able to do a modest retirement, spend about $3,000 USD a month, and that does not include my upcoming social security income. But what would I do? I do enjoy teaching and probably would do something like along the technical lines, teaching, math, science, engineering etc. I hate to just fill up my time with drama. Sure I could probably get married, pick up the inlaws, etc. I don't smoke. Don't do drugs. Light drinker. I love extended vacations between my contract assignments. I probably will keep doing that for a few more years mixing in more trips to Thailand between assignments. While I ldo ove the days when the only decision is to turn left or turn right, and I don't mind not working, I do get bored.

• Like 1

Blackpool or Pattaya. Pattaya or Blackpool.

Blackpool (or any other UK seaside resort) in winter :-

Cheaper than summer. Freeze your nuts off. Pay for B&B + extra for evening meal. Bracing sea breezes to blow off your Kiss me Quick hat, make your fingers and toes ready to drop off, make your nose run with snot all day. No sitting outside with a beer, a coffee or a cup of tea. Back to the B&B and hungry as nowhere is open unless you want a greasy kebab or pie and mushy farter peas. Yes, wonderful.

Pattaya in winter. Sit outside in the sun, drink beer, have a coffee or a cup of tea and watch the ladies walk by. Stroll around in shorts and short sleeved shirt showing off that manly pregnant pouch whistling.gif above those hairy legs biggrin.png

Food all day and night. Booze until the early hours. Go to a bar and watch the footie, F1, rugby or whatever and have a chinwag with your mates.

Why be bored in Pattaya, really?

I readily admit to liking the UK in many ways but when you compare the two in some instances, Thailand and Pattaya win hands down in the winter.

• Like 1

usd per monthhe can always open his own bar and DRINK FOR FREE

I actually know a guy who used to spend all his money (5,000 usd per month) in sombebody else's bar. He would buy rounds of tequila shots for the bar hookers. I saw the girls throw the tequila over their shoulders on the ground. He then, eventually, figured it out and bought his own bar for 10,000 baht a month. Now he drinks at cost in his own bar, and the same girls work for him. He bought a mop too.

• Like 1

Cheaper than summer. Freeze your nuts off. Pay for B&B + extra for evening meal. Bracing sea breezes to blow off your Kiss me Quick hat, make your fingers and toes ready to drop off, make your nose run with snot all day. No sitting outside with a beer, a coffee or a cup of tea. Back to the B&B and hungry as nowhere is open unless you want a greasy kebab or pie and mushy farter peas. Yes, wonderful.

Pattaya in winter. Sit outside in the sun, drink beer, have a coffee or a cup of tea and watch the ladies walk by. Stroll around in shorts and short sleeved shirt showing off that manly pregnant pouch whistling.gif above those hairy legs biggrin.png

Food all day and night. Booze until the early hours. Go to a bar and watch the footie, F1, rugby or whatever and have a chinwag with your mates.

I readily admit to liking the UK in many ways but when you compare the two in some instances, Thailand and Pattaya win hands down in the winter.

Ladies and Pattaya should never be mentioned in the same breath.

• Like 1

Ladies and Pattaya should never be mentioned in the same breath.

...well, you gotta come up for air, sometime... wub.png

OK, forget Blackpool then. How about Skipton:

An ancient castle, great transport links and low crime: Skipton in North Yorkshire is named the best place to live in Britain

• Skipton put ahead of Newnham in Cambridge, Monmouth and Falmouth
  • Judged for The Sunday Times's 101 Best Places to Live in Britain report
  • Skipton is also praised for top-class schools and ''buzzing' high street
  • Newnham offers 'country living in Cambridge' with village atmosphere

--http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2582467/Skipton-North-Yorkshire-named-best-place-live-Britain.html

Happily, there seems to be no Starbucks there!

We just need some kind of relocation service here in Pattaya to help our bored, complaining Brits self-deport back to the UK and find true happiness.

Edited by JSixpack

OP should be trying to cheer up his mate rather than all this gloominess

There is always the mantra

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you may die ......

If he wants to get really deep go for some prose from the legendary poet Omar Khaiyam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubaiyat_of_Omar_Khayyam

Seems A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse and a fine lady might be enough to ensure for happiness for some.

If all this positive thinking fails, then enjoy Blackpool

Tell your mate, to read Shakespeare. The bar girls will be mightily impressed, I'm sure. Here is an excerpt from Henry IV, part 1, and the only part I remember from covering it in my school days (OK, only the first 2 lines and I still get it wrong). However, having lived in Bangkok for 10 years of idle bliss (I don't frequent bars so much), I can't say it has applied to me in all senses. Booze also leads to depression - cut right down and the gloom will lift (although it didn't seem to apply to Falstaff. Mmmm maybe Shakespeare wasn't right after all):

If all the year were playing holidays,
To sport would be as tedious as to work,
But when they seldom come, they wished for come,
And nothing pleaseth but rare accidents.
So when this loose behavior I throw off
And pay the debt I never promisèd,
By how much better than my word I am,
By so much shall I falsify men’s hopes;
And, like bright metal on a sullen ground,
My reformation, glitt'ring o'er my fault,
Shall show more goodly and attract more eyes
Than that which hath no foil to set it off.
I’ll so offend to make offense a skill,
Redeeming time when men think least I will.

It might be apposite to recall that Prince Hal says something like this to the (fat) Falstaff:

The grave gapes thrice wider for thee

Than for other men

A fate that awaits us all.....

Edited by mantu

"Boredom is the legacy of fear" as prof of mine once said, and that stuck with me. must spend 2-300 a day on beer (I don't know. I live here in Jomtien and don't drink). Get a hobby? Start going to some AA meetings? Read a book? Take long walks? He seems lazy, a drunk, and lacks imagination. First stop drinking. Does someone change his nappies too?

The OP is giving his opinion on a friends way of life, its not the friend on here complaining is as the OP sees his life now. Who you is your post aimed at the OP who is happy or his friend who never posted he was having a bad life. Live and let live and if that's his life that's his life, Millions would swap for it. If he is lazy, a drunk,, lacks imagination so be it as long as he is not bothering anybody and paying his way his choice, as is your choice to live your life how you wish here.

When boredom starts to rule the day....sleep all day...and go out in the early evening...

There is no reason to be bored in Thailand...try going to S. Thailand...no one is ever bored down there...

After Health & Wealth, boredom is my biggest concern when it comes to retiring (31st January next year) & like Health & Wealth I think benefits from some planning before hand.

Unfortunately I think too many people (myself included) focus on the question of "Wealth" (Can I afford to retire) & not enough time on "Health"/"Activities" (Will I enjoy being retired) but I'm trying to improve my chances by getting back into the gym for an hour each day & budgeting for a travel allowance that will enable me to take regular trips once I do get settled.

Hopefully this will be enough, the thought of giving up & starting to drink myself to death at the age of 49 terrifies me!

Edited by JB300

Life is short, so why do we get bored? Too much repetition and the daily grind plus no more dreams cause us to get bored or lose our motivation or joie de vivre. Humans need constant challenges in life to stay motivated and inspired. Dreaming is essential to keeping oneself motivated. If you don't have dreams/plans then you don't have enough imagination and the daily grind becomes unbearable.

Everyone needs to renew themselves every 5 or 10 years or for some maybe two or three times in their life. This could mean: a totally new job or career, new marriage, new family, new country, new hobby, studying something new, travel..any number of things. Why do many of us keep on repeating the same things over and over? Usually its because of money....we need the job, we are accustomed to a certain standard of living and don't want to downsize or lose the income, we don't want to quit the job we hate because of accumulating pension or health care benefits etc etc.....so we hang around forever.

Going to the bar every day for what? There are plenty of things to do in life besides hanging around a bar on a daily basis or chatting with bargirls. Find some new adventure in life. Take up scuba, learn to swim, learn to dance, learn a new language, there are thousands of activities one can get involved in. Donate some time volunteering in some refugee camp somewhere on the planet. Travel to every country on the planet...that would take up the rest of one's lifetime probably. No money, well there are innumerable ways of making money......if you have any imagination.

Seems to me, a lot of people have no imagination or passion for living. Are they just waiting to die or what? I'm starting my life over again at.............65. I'll keep moving until I drop. I just got married again even though the first two marriages ended disastrously. I don't mind taking another risk. We will both work for a few years since I'm almost penniless after two divorces...but thats fine with me and her. We will build a new nest egg and buy land and a house somewhere on the planet...maybe the Philippines and I'll grow organic vegetables on the land. We will also develop an online business later and who knows what other kind of businesses. Starting over again at over 60 is challenging but I know that it gives a person a new lease on life. Anyways, its the journey, rather than the goal which is important. The worst thing is having no more dreams and just hanging around repeating yourself day in and day out...Time to die then, if thats the case.

Life is a Gift and to say that its boring is to abuse that gift. Make use of your time on this planet or move over for the next person..its already getting too crowded on planet earth!

Bored people need a Challenge and a bit of danger or risk in their lives! Physical activity is very good at helping to eliminate boredom. I strongly suggest taking a trek for a few weeks in the Himalayas...Nepal. Just get a backpack and fly off to Kathmandu and you will find out where to go. Fresh air, simple but healthy food, cheerful people with smiles on their faces, awesome beauty of the countryside and Himalayan mountains, the physical exercise involved in walking 6 - 8 hrs a day and clearing your mind of all of the negativity in your life, no worries........this may transform your outlook on life and inspire you to do other things. Whats the worst thing that could happen: falling off the trail or cliff and killing yourself...or would you rather drink yourself to a slow death in Thailand...all alone, save for your hired tee rak.

Good Luck to all.

I would much rather look back on my life and wonder why I did all those things; than to look back and wonder why I did not.

Life is short, so why do we get bored? Too much repetition and the daily grind plus no more dreams cause us to get bored or lose our motivation or joie de vivre. Humans need constant challenges in life to stay motivated and inspired. Dreaming is essential to keeping oneself motivated. If you don't have dreams/plans then you don't have enough imagination and the daily grind becomes unbearable.

Everyone needs to renew themselves every 5 or 10 years or for some maybe two or three times in their life. This could mean: a totally new job or career, new marriage, new family, new country, new hobby, studying something new, travel..any number of things. Why do many of us keep on repeating the same things over and over? Usually its because of money....we need the job, we are accustomed to a certain standard of living and don't want to downsize or lose the income, we don't want to quit the job we hate because of accumulating pension or health care benefits etc etc.....so we hang around forever.

Going to the bar every day for what? There are plenty of things to do in life besides hanging around a bar on a daily basis or chatting with bargirls. Find some new adventure in life. Take up scuba, learn to swim, learn to dance, learn a new language, there are thousands of activities one can get involved in. Donate some time volunteering in some refugee camp somewhere on the planet. Travel to every country on the planet...that would take up the rest of one's lifetime probably. No money, well there are innumerable ways of making money......if you have any imagination.

Seems to me, a lot of people have no imagination or passion for living. Are they just waiting to die or what? I'm starting my life over again at.............65. I'll keep moving until I drop. I just got married again even though the first two marriages ended disastrously. I don't mind taking another risk. We will both work for a few years since I'm almost penniless after two divorces...but thats fine with me and her. We will build a new nest egg and buy land and a house somewhere on the planet...maybe the Philippines and I'll grow organic vegetables on the land. We will also develop an online business later and who knows what other kind of businesses. Starting over again at over 60 is challenging but I know that it gives a person a new lease on life. Anyways, its the journey, rather than the goal which is important. The worst thing is having no more dreams and just hanging around repeating yourself day in and day out...Time to die then, if thats the case.

Life is a Gift and to say that its boring is to abuse that gift. Make use of your time on this planet or move over for the next person..its already getting too crowded on planet earth!

Bored people need a Challenge and a bit of danger or risk in their lives! Physical activity is very good at helping to eliminate boredom. I strongly suggest taking a trek for a few weeks in the Himalayas...Nepal. Just get a backpack and fly off to Kathmandu and you will find out where to go. Fresh air, simple but healthy food, cheerful people with smiles on their faces, awesome beauty of the countryside and Himalayan mountains, the physical exercise involved in walking 6 - 8 hrs a day and clearing your mind of all of the negativity in your life, no worries........this may transform your outlook on life and inspire you to do other things. Whats the worst thing that could happen: falling off the trail or cliff and killing yourself...or would you rather drink yourself to a slow death in Thailand...all alone, save for your hired tee rak.

Good Luck to all.

I would much rather look back on my life and wonder why I did all those things; than to look back and wonder why I did not.

And I would much rather look back on my life and wonder why I did all those beers & women; than to look back and wonder why I did not.

I must admit i live in Naklua ( pattaya ) and i do not drink or smoke and have " no interest " in visiting bars! apart from the " booze " i don't see the need to go to a bar to meet " ladies " ?????

I am certainly " not shy " and not scared of rejection and very much " full on " ! i would feel very restricted to have to go to "a bar " to meet a lady anywhere in the world! Here in Thailand there are women everywhere! in the streets,shops,banks,parks,beaches,buses,trains why the need to go to a bar seems totally alien to me! ( apart from those who like a beer i guess! )

Farang Jaidee wub.png

I stayed in Pattaya for a year in 2003 , all the blokes i use to run with have either died , gone home skint or been very ill . From the 15 or so expats I used to know and have a beer with , there is one left and he's not looking too good either , the all blokes at the time in their late 40s.

The worst decisions is buying a bar,. There is so much competition that when punters come in you have to be "The hostest with the mostest" which basically means going on the piss with the customers night and day even when you dont fancy it , because those customers will just go somewhere else

• Like 1

Good Luck to all.

And I would much rather look back on my life and wonder why I did all those beers & women; than to look back and wonder why I did not.

Make that Jack Daniels and women and I'm right there with your bro

• Like 1

I found this comment a bit off... suggesting that people should kill themselves to give the rest more space.

It's not overcrowded where I come from. Many countries are screaming out for more babies as the population growth slows to a crawl and is below the replacement fertility level. ( http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303453004579290870074903600 ) In fact the world population growth as a whole is slowing down and will level off by about 2050 with only 8 - 9 billion total, so please don't go killing yourself to save the rest of us LOL.

• Like 1

I stayed in Pattaya for a year in 2003 , all the blokes i use to run with have either died , gone home skint or been very ill . From the 15 or so expats I used to know and have a beer with , there is one left and he's not looking too good either , the all blokes at the time in their late 40s.

The common denominator is that you are bad luck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a friend who lives in Patts...Yes, he did get bored in the first year, back & forth to the bars then he came across the Trivia Nights at The Boxing Roo on 3rd rd which he met many expats....which resulted in The Pattaya Scooter Club....now he's always busy fishing with his NEW m8's & has even taken up golf. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We must understand that back in your own country's we have more friends so we dont get bored that quick.Here in Thailand the culture is different and its very easy to get bored here. I use to do the same thing, start drinking in the morning because i was so bored but now i only drink at night.People r quick to judge someone because they start drinking early in the morning.His a drunk because he starts drinking so early and that is not always the truth. I wonder what the Thai's would do all day in western country when they become bored

ever been to Issan, the Thai's wake up and start drinking - even they are bored.

• Like 1

Now I could take every word you quote travelled (all over the world) know languages,can swim, (gym or swim every day)volunteer,got good pensions,done it all and got the T shirt.

My times done in Thailand, and as you say 5 or 6 years ,need a change,Spain for me then.

Still hanging on for a bit though ,too many ties to just break away. Hoping a boot up the arse from Thailand govt.,be it compulsary medical insurance for visa or similar would do the trick.

But boredem is a problem,thank God for kindle and computer and bar girls

I've contemplated going back to Spain - I was there for years - but the cost of living is 2 or 3 times greater than here... blink.png

But quality of life is far greater. Every day estate agents in Spain email me with house offers,cannot believe how cheap housing is now,be it renting or buying. Take a look in one of the supermarkets there to here,go compare,half the price there

Just want to live in clean,law abiding country. Thailand is nothing but a .... ..., OK there are quite a few hangers on,convincing themselves life is the cream of the crop here,it ain't and never will be,just a bolt hole ,a temporary one at that. The 12 month visa extension is just a leash that can be cut at any time.

Quality of life depends - I suppose - on your expectations and the ability to accept that "This isn't Kansas". Thailand is not Spain or UK. Spain is not UK. Everywhere is different and people largely forget that and try to mould the place they live in to satisfy their requirements, rather than looking at how they can adapt and be more comfortable in the foreign environment. Look at all the moaning posts on TVisa to see how they complain that it "shouldn't be like that" or whatever. Dissatisfaction has started before they look at where they really are.

I agree that Spain is not third world, but it's far from perfect. Housing in Spain is same as anywhere -- you get what you pay for. A cheap condo in Spain will not be any better than here. I regularly go back to Spain to see my friends and prices are high. Mercadona food is twice as expensive as BigC for the same stuff. Pubic transport is almost non-existant - you really must have a car to get around. Crime in Spain is bad, especially around resorts. Eating out is extortionate. If it is only the price and the climate under consideration, Thailand wins hands down.

how about the ladies in Spain?

Forget the ladies in Spain,non-existent.

Life ain't that bad in Thailand,just there is no stability,friends ,visas,pollution ,traffic,laws,cops,all get worse Would like a change,and am starting travelling a bit again,but Spain,or even Portugal now gets a fair mention from more than a few.

Have to go and look-see again

Ok, I have been through most of the replies and formulated a list, here is whats to do in Pattaya for your mate who likes a drink

gym

The Pattaya Scooter Club

Trivia Nights at The Boxing Roo on 3rd rd - think this may be counterproductive myself if the goal is less drinking

golf

Books

UK TV

watch some TV

long walks in the day - its too hot but i guess its exercise

volunteer - get a volunteer visa first

go for a run - phew

bike ride - dangerous

go for coffee

post on Tv

play a computer game

Backgammon club in Jomtien

Bowls on the Darkside

Boules club

Exercise is free. There is the track on Buddha Hill

exercise stations on the beach

Get down to the beach at Jomtien soi 7 and here is a farang band most days

beach football

languages to learn

Train Trips

french bread baking club? - hmmm, ok sounds alright as i like bread

If anybody gets bored with living here in Thailand or anywhere its because they have " no interests & Hobbies " I honestly find that there are never enough hours in the day! My hobbies are " Daily long walks ( 15KM ) Swimming in the sea,The beach,sunbathing,Photography,socializing and flirting while strolling about,Listening to music ( whilst on the move ) Train adventures ( no excuse as they are so cheap! ) Bread making,cooking,Bike rides ( bicycle ) Winding people up on Thai Visa.

I don't drink or smoke or have a need to go to a bar! I am up early every morning at 06.00 and " ready for action " I do not watch TV. You just need motorvation ! You have chosen a wonderful country with a fabulous climate now go outside and enjoy it!

Farang Jaidee wub.png