Pajero 100k service

SoloFlyer

Morning. Just been to enquire about the 100k service - apparently needs a big timing system change. Will take a day and a half.

They're trying to upsell a full feature set, saying that if these things aren't replaced it can have a tendency to overheat. My English motoring technicalities arent that crash hot let alone my Thai ... The package they're trying to hard sell is 30k thb, which seems way over the top.

Anyway, can someone explain or recommend what needs to be done at the 100k service.? Here's the list of what they're trying to push:

post-20765-0-27687700-1408504110_thumb.j

What size is the engine? Under 3ltr has a timing belt which needs changing at 100,000 kilometres , over 3 ltr ( my trident is 3.2) they have a timing chain which does not need replacing. I would also shop around as I found my local dealer was ripping me off on servicing.

The old Mitsubishi single cam 2.5L engine used a chain, the newer twin cam 2.5L engines use a belt.

The timing belt and tensioner bits for the later model PJS / Triton should be about 12,000 baht plus the other normal service costs.

The water pump can be changed at the same time but at extra cost but I do not think Mitsubishi recommend it.

Get some one who reads Thai to check the quote with the service schedule in the Owners Manual.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

The old Mitsubishi single cam 2.5L engine used a chain, the newer twin cam 2.5L engines use a belt.

The timing belt and tensioner bits for the later model PJS / Triton should be about 12,000 baht plus the other normal service costs.

The water pump can be changed at the same time but at extra cost but I do not think Mitsubishi recommend it.

Get some one who reads Thai to check the quote with the service schedule in the Owners Manual.

my service schedule is all in Thai and my wife, although, translates for a living, cannot make sense of it. must be a gal thing + trucks.

on a better note. I just noticed on the nissan website that we can download full english manuals (not service manuals) for our vehicles which is nice.

I have a 70k service coming up soon and will now search for an english version of all the things listed...I'll be back in a few days when I find one lol

Its a 2.5L. Neary 4yo.

BTW, what are you guys paying on 1st level insurance on this car?? Also due.

Cheers.

A kind member has offered to speak to his dealer who he will be seeing tomorrow.

About the same as the timing belt change, IIRC - 12-13K

What size is the engine? Under 3ltr has a timing belt which needs changing at 100,000 kilometres , over 3 ltr ( my trident is 3.2) they have a timing chain which does not need replacing. I would also shop around as I found my local dealer was ripping me off on servicing.

Mitsubishi Trident, what's that?

I have just been reading about timing belts and the consequences of the belt failing. Some articles have said that if the belt fails on a "non interference engine" then the failure will not damage the valves. But with an interference engine the valves will be damaged. If this is correct, what type of engine is in a 2.5 GT PJ?

As a failed water pump can break the timing belt is it worth getting the water pump replaced at the same time as the belt replacement?

By the way, my Mitsu garage in Lamlukka has quoted 20,000 for the 100k service but I do not have a list of what they will do apart from what is listed in the handbook.

Just found this link on the Mitsu website that lists service items and prices. No mention of timing belts at 100,000k for any model.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.th/en/Periodical-Maintenance

Edited by pj123

If you select the PJS 100k service on the Mitsu web site, fine print at the bottom says "- Timing Belt set will be changed every 100,000 km."

20,000 baht is a bit high unless the water pump is included.

The water pump can be changed during with the timing belt for convenience but it does not need to be.

I doubt a pump failure would break the timing belt as they are on separate drives. I did not change the water pump at 100k because we have not had issues with water pumps until well beyond that mileage / age in the past and Mitsu do not recommend it.

May be worth while for older - low use vehicles accumulating kms slowly.

Edited by Jitar