Pros and Cons of wearing high-vis colors in Thailand

wantan

I can't imagine any con to wearing hi vis other than it gets dirty easy, but almost no riding jacket is entirely hi vis.

So I have highly reflective stickers on the back of my helmet and bike.

I stiched reflective yellow strips to the back of my jacket and think it must help at night.

I also used to ride with a hivis yellow helmet and following riders found it easy to track me in traffic.

The most effective thing is my bright blue LED underglow.

I can clearly see cars move apart in Bangkok when they see my bike coming up in between lanes.

Obviously it is most effective at night or during rain, so I don't even run it during the day.

I think only a wigwag on the headlight would help during the day.

Or flashing police lights, but I'm sure that can't be legal although I have seen a Harley running them once.

srry ttakata.

busy day today at work. i noticed it but too late as cannot edit it anymore.

it is good that i have my stalker reporting these but please be faster next time!biggrin.png

You are very welcome...you obviously need all the help you can get w00t.gif

I only have a Honda Click but I never ride out without helmet and light coloured green visability lightweight jacket brought over from Decathlon in the UK. I have 2

of them. I would never set out in the rain on my bike but if it rains when when I am out and get caught in it, I get out from the seat pocket my waterproof high visability but sweaty jacket and waterproof over-trousers again brought over from UK (Decathlon) I think they help a bit. I also make sure all lighting is operable.

• Like 2

also, buying a bike and helmet with a bright color helps a great deal plus some small blinking leds with on your bike, not like they put on bicycles though, the ones blinking slowly.

that is why always buy a bright red bike same as my helmet.

When Im driving my car in the rain or at night.. Whilst keeping my eyes peeled for any idiot doing stupid things the first thing I can say I DO want to do is knock those idiots with those flashing lights off the road! Especially when you have a windscreen covered in water with the wipers going those lights do nothing but blur/reduce a driver vision. This goes for these lights on both bikes and cars.. Those new age rear brake flashing units with LEDs too... The lot of them.

Manufacturers go to great lengths to design those lights and putting a cheap chinese xmas tree on the back of your vehicle is not an improvement.

• Like 2

also, buying a bike and helmet with a bright color helps a great deal plus some small blinking leds with on your bike, not like they put on bicycles though, the ones blinking slowly.

that is why always buy a bright red bike same as my helmet.

When Im driving my car in the rain or at night.. Whilst keeping my eyes peeled for any idiot doing stupid things the first thing I can say I DO want to do is knock those idiots with those flashing lights off the road! Especially when you have a windscreen covered in water with the wipers going those lights do nothing but blur/reduce a driver vision. This goes for these lights on both bikes and cars.. Those new age rear brake flashing units with LEDs too... The lot of them.

Manufacturers go to great lengths to design those lights and putting a cheap chinese xmas tree on the back of your vehicle is not an improvement.

I was talking about headlight modulator.

HEADLIGHT MODULE:

OK, now back to topic smile.png

Guess this can be considered as very safe coloring. Lots of nice gear but it looks a bit stupid doesnt it?
motorcycle-hi-vis-620x330.jpg?a42e92

I found a "Inquiry into Motorcycle Safety" (PDF, 2012) from a "ROAD SAFETY COMMITTEE" of the Government of Victoria. Its nothing new for this thread but another source that says hi-vis is not always the best choice.

Pages 333-334 are about hi-vis clothing.

Excerpt:
The idea of increasing rider visibility in order to reduce collision with other road users is a persuasive one. Research indicates motorcycles might be less visible in traffic and their visibility could, to an extent, be improved by clothing (and helmet colour). However, research suggests increasing visibility through the use of protective clothing is difficult because visibility requirements change depending on the environment a motorcyclist is riding in.

The most important aspect of increasing visibility is that the protective clothing contrasts with the environment. According to the Netherlands Institute for Road Safety Research (SWOV), motorcyclists may benefit from reflective clothing worn at night, but whether that also works during the day depends on the environment. Specifically, the SWOV found while reflective clothing can improve visibility in situations that involve dense traffic and at night, when riding in rural or open spaces the use of darker clothing was more beneficial. The conclusions reached by SWOV are supported by other researchers who found there are a number of factors involved in the detectability of riders, including the ability to be seen in the environment and the awareness of other road users.

Conclusion of the commitee:
The Committee is unable to support the proposal to mandate the use of hi-visibility clothing for motorcyclists, because there is no single approach in terms of increasing the visibility of clothing that would work in all riding circumstances. However, promoting the use of different clothing for different types of riding (for example hi-visibility for commuters and darker clothing for recreational road riders) through education could be beneficial.

• Like 1

Those BMW cops are funny but it sure gets one's attention which is the whole point of hiviz.

In particular it is the hi contrast checker pattern that gets the attention.

If they were only yellow it would not be so alarming.

Of course you might look like an idiot with reflectives all over but its a choice of safety vs. looking cool.
I painted my old Nouvo's body panels in Bosny glow in the dark green.

I don't recommend anyone doing it because it was not UV stable (can says it is=BS) and discolors fast even with UV clearcoat (again can says it is).

Glow in the dark isn't hiviz but it sure looked cool when I entered a parking garage during the day.

I have some 8 hour glow stickers on my Tricity now but find them peeling off because the material is too thick.

I might take the glow stickers off because they don't glow bright enough to be helpful in most situations.

Maybe someday I will add EL paper and have it on all the time.

That would really be Tron style.

Heck I ride a scooter, it's not cool anyway so I might as well push things the other way and show off the ugliness.

Edited by ttakata
  • Like 1

My main concern with visibility is in the rain and at night. I assume most (not all) road users can spot a motorbike on a clear day. So I use reflective stickers on the sides and rear of the bikes and scooters to help with night visibility. But on those gloomy rainy days, and when the rain is so heavy that car wipers can't shift it quickly enough, I think the best option to increase safety is high-viz rainwear. The problem I have is finding hi-viz rainwear that isn't too hot and clammy, that fits over my bike jacket, and that packs up small.

Headlight on , and assume nobody can see you. Defensive riding. Clothing colors can blend into varying backgrounds.

All cars should have headlights day and night

I have mixed feelings about this - I know there was some research in Australia that showed fewer accidents with cars that kept their lights on all of the time. But I wonder if this was because they then stood out from the unlit crowd? If all cars have lights on, does it then provide the same safety benefits? I have not seen research on this question.

In Thailand, however, I'm glad cars most don't do this. I fear that if every vehicle here had their headlights on permanently, my bike would become less visible again - just another dull spot of light.

• Like 1

OK, now back to topic smile.png

Guess this can be considered as very safe coloring. Lots of nice gear but it looks a bit stupid doesnt it?

motorcycle-hi-vis-620x330.jpg?a42e92

I found a "Inquiry into Motorcycle Safety" (PDF, 2012) from a "ROAD SAFETY COMMITTEE" of the Government of Victoria. Its nothing new for this thread but another source that says hi-vis is not always the best choice.

Pages 333-334 are about hi-vis clothing.

Excerpt:

The idea of increasing rider visibility in order to reduce collision with other road users is a persuasive one. Research indicates motorcycles might be less visible in traffic and their visibility could, to an extent, be improved by clothing (and helmet colour). However, research suggests increasing visibility through the use of protective clothing is difficult because visibility requirements change depending on the environment a motorcyclist is riding in.

The most important aspect of increasing visibility is that the protective clothing contrasts with the environment. According to the Netherlands Institute for Road Safety Research (SWOV), motorcyclists may benefit from reflective clothing worn at night, but whether that also works during the day depends on the environment. Specifically, the SWOV found while reflective clothing can improve visibility in situations that involve dense traffic and at night, when riding in rural or open spaces the use of darker clothing was more beneficial. The conclusions reached by SWOV are supported by other researchers who found there are a number of factors involved in the detectability of riders, including the ability to be seen in the environment and the awareness of other road users.

Conclusion of the commitee:

The Committee is unable to support the proposal to mandate the use of hi-visibility clothing for motorcyclists, because there is no single approach in terms of increasing the visibility of clothing that would work in all riding circumstances. However, promoting the use of different clothing for different types of riding (for example hi-visibility for commuters and darker clothing for recreational road riders) through education could be beneficial.

multi colored high viz gear looks like the safest option. Thanks for digging out these info wantan.

• Like 1

I've started wearing a yellow high-Viz , belt, sash type thing similar to the ones on the Police Bike Photo's but only half the material. I was getting cut up from pickup drivers pulling out in front of me several times a day. you could see the head swivel once and then ride straight into my path. Now I can see two swivels of the head and know they have seen me. It really works, only takes a couple of minutes to put on and doesn't make the jacket any warmer or anything. Yeah, I guess I look a Dick sad.png but I'm convinced it's made a real difference

• Like 1

Those BMW cops are funny but it sure gets one's attention which is the whole point of hiviz.

In particular it is the hi contrast checker pattern that gets the attention.

If they were only yellow it would not be so alarming.

But imo even such hi-vis checker pattern has a disadvantage, it hides the silhouette/contour of the bike or at least makes it harder to identify. It grabs a lot attention but you can hardly see that it is a motorbike. It could be anything, a road block, a post box or whatever. For police/ambulance this checker pattern makes sense because people are used to it and associate it with traffic patrol and emergency services.

For private riding i guess a pattern where you can still see the contour of the bike is better and maybe safer. Same for clothes, imo its better if you can still see the silhouette of the rider, not just a hi-vis color or a checker-pattern.

The pattern is called "Battenburg markings".

From wikipedia:

The brief was to create a livery for motorway and trunk road police vehicles which would maximise the visibility of the vehicles when stopped on scene, both in daylight, and under headlights from a minimum distance of 500 metres (1,600 ft), and which would distinctively mark it as a police car.

The name comes from the similarity in appearance to the cross-section of a Battenberg cake licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

300px-Battenbergcake.jpg

220px-Bedfordshire_Police_Motorcycle.JPG

220px-City_of_London_Police_Van.jpg

220px-NZHighway_patrol.jpg

what reflects best in the daylight and then rain and then also at night with street lights and drivers headlights ?

lime green , yellow, orange or white ? or one stripe of each ?

Check out this discussion: http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/5611/safety-vests-yellow-vs-orange

The answer seems to be "depends.." there's visibility and also identification in the equation, as well as contrast.

There are products that do combine yellow and orange. For example I was looking at high viz rain covers for a backpack and found this:

post-43886-0-67345600-1408886857_thumb.j

what reflects best in the daylight and then rain and then also at night with street lights and drivers headlights ?

Check out this discussion: http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/5611/safety-vests-yellow-vs-orange

The answer seems to be "depends.." there's visibility and also identification in the equation, as well as contrast.

There are products that do combine yellow and orange. For example I was looking at high viz rain covers for a backpack and found this:

can you send link to backpack cover ?

in Europe now you are required to have a reflective vest in your car !

Anyone know a place to buy these in BKK

16 LED Red Illuminated Safety Work Vest

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Fit-16-LED-Red-Illuminated-Safety-Work-Vest-w-2-Reflective-Strips-/231185275259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d3b7597b

they will see you at night if you have one of these on !

True Wantan, didn't think about that.

The checker is almost like a camoflage so it breaks up the profile.

Still, I am sure no one wants to drive into a checkered sign, barricade, or whatever.

The key thing is to be seen and it seems a lot of research went into that pattern to be recognized by traffic.

I remember seeing a scooter with neon yellow wheels and it stood out like crazy.

I think it was just rattle can spray.

I've been trying to have glow in the dark rims for awhile.

I know UV lights charges GID fast but have not seen any rim tape made out of GID material until now.

http://shop.lunasee.com/

other pics

Police.jpg

tumblr_moat2sPTvS1snge5io1_500.jpg

• Like 2

can you send link to backpack cover ?

in Europe now you are required to have a reflective vest in your car !

Anyone know a place to buy these in BKK

16 LED Red Illuminated Safety Work Vest

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Fit-16-LED-Red-Illuminated-Safety-Work-Vest-w-2-Reflective-Strips-/231185275259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d3b7597b

they will see you at night if you have one of these on !

Just pulled it off an eBay listing while running this search: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xhigh+viz+backpack+cover&_nkw=high+viz+backpack+cover&_sacat=0

Cheapest one appears to be this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/More-Mile-High-Viz-Waterproof-Backpack-Rucksack-Bag-Rain-Cover-Cycling-Running-/361022576554?pt=AU_Bicycle_Accessorries&var=&hash=item540e9f57aa

I have my bike decked out with Leds( not flashing -except my tail light) It stands out great in the night & lights up a 3 meter area around the bike. So only a drunk would not see it. In the daytime you just have to drive defensively & I don't really think the dayglo colors are going to help with people to preoccupied with their cell phones & such anyway. Besides when I get off my bike I don't care to be sporting dayglo colors or reflective wear .If in fog yes I would go with the dayglo yellow along with a bright led package. Here in Thailand not to much fog (or at least where I live) just idiots that drive preoccupied or have extremely bad peripheral vision & or just are poor drivers & that probably not going to change in LOS in the next 50 years anyway. In California I do use reflective gear when I ride -Just because it is FOGGY there sometimes. Same as Oregon or Washington state.

Had a visit at Hardwarehouse BangNa today and bought some safety hi-vis reflection stuff. They have a good selection of such things for fair prices.

Safety belt, elastic band, reflective, 105 Baht

Good for riding in the dark or in rain/fog.

post-129800-0-80963900-1409325163_thumb.

Quality Safety vest, breathable mesh, 3M reflector stripes, 240 Baht

Good for breakdowns or walking home drunk.

post-129800-0-24225400-1409326637_thumb.

Reflective Bands, 8 Baht per piece

Good for the pants when cycling or for whatever.

post-129800-0-85786600-1409326090_thumb.

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

There is a safety shop in the basement floor of Fortune Town on Ratchada also.

They sell stickers and reflectives you can sew.

Can't recall if they sell the vests though.

Shocked that is stays in business since safety and this country don't often mix.

• Like 1