Thai perceptions of middle age and the implications

KhunOr

I think that being ‘old’ is as much a state of mind as a given number. But what if your perceptions are radically different from those of most people around you, as it probably is if you are a Caucasian living in Thailand?

You might like to ask your Thai spouse and Thai friends what age they regard as “middle aged” and “old”. At what age does “middle age” start and finish and old age begin?

Among my Thai friends that I asked, the average start-finish stated for middle age is 25-45 years old. After 45 you are old already.

I read surveys that were conducted among 2,000 people in the UK and another much larger one conducted in the USA. In the USA the researchers said that most people think of middle age as beginning at 44 and ending at 60. And in the UK the average perceived start of middle age was put at 53!

By the way in both countries the beginning and end of middle age was regarded as being younger for women.

So what are the implications for you here in Thailand? Have you noticed this and how does it affect you?

This post is NOT meant as an attack on ‘old’ people, whether you are 45 or 85, so please don’t turn it into such.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Middle aged isn't actually a mental thing, it is a physical thing. When your body begins to change for the worse and slow down, you are middle aged.

Honestly, for me it started at 26 or 27 (and from what i can tell from my pals "back home" it was the same for them).

For Thais, well, my GF is 37 and i don't think she is middle aged yet (although nearing). However a Thai who works in a rice field will usually become middle aged (and old aged) much earlier. My GF's friends (of equal age), for example, seem to be about 10 years older than her and they all have worked in the fields for decades, whereas my GF didn't (well, not since she was a child).

Edited by EmptyHead

Quite a difference David. Your thread is about how old you think you are and it is not Thai specific.

This thread is about the disparity of perceptions between Thai people (on this subject) and westerners…and how this affects westerners who live here in Thailand.

OP ... you could defer to this, done just 2 months ago ...

how-young-is-old

Just a thought ...

I'm off for having a drunk.gif

• Like 1

OP - I am mid to late 40's : what Thai people think of this has not effected me other than when they say, mai sure, when I tell them my age.

Is this really what you want to know or something else?

Did your girlfriend leave you for an older guy or something?

Well, one way I imagine this affects westerners is in job applications. You feel and may look 10-15 younger than your 50yo real age, but to your prospective Thai employer you have one foot in the grave. I don't actually know what experiences you might have had that have similar consequences. Waiting to see.

OP - I am mid to late 40's : what Thai people think of this has not effected me other than when they say, mai sure, when I tell them my age.

Is this really what you want to know or something else?

Did your girlfriend leave you for an older guy or something?

Quite a difference David. Your thread is about how old you think you are and it is not Thai specific.

This thread is about the disparity of perceptions between Thai people (on this subject) and westerners…and how this affects westerners who live here in Thailand.

OP ... you could defer to this, done just 2 months ago ...

how-young-is-old

Just a thought ...

I'm off for having a drunk.gif

I can live with that.

Quite a civilised reply BTW ... thumbsup.gif

Many moons ago I was 45 and in Thailand , living here with my Thai wife. A vendor called me grandpa, my wife is indeed twenty years younger than me.

I was shocked, as the thought of being old had never entered my head.

Now I am old, Thai must think I am the walking dead!

Another question could be " how much does it bother a young thai lady to be with a much older man?

Does it embarrass her?...do her friends frown on such a liaison?

I ask this cos in thai culture i am led to believe age is no big deal providing she is being taken care of financially.

So the next question is:...is it possible for a young thai lady to actually "love" an older man just for who they are?

I think i know the answer!..........and it is yes but there still has to be "the taking care" without that "love" flies out the door.

• Like 1

Another question could be " how much does it bother a young thai lady to be with a much older man?

Does it embarrass her?...do her friends frown on such a liaison?

I ask this cos in thai culture i am led to believe age is no big deal providing she is being taken care of financially.

So the next question is:...is it possible for a young thai lady to actually "love" an older man just for who they are?

I think i know the answer!..........and it is yes but there still has to be "the taking care" without that "love" flies out the door.

[/qu

Well my wife is Grandma now, goodness knows what I am?

Joking, we have been together so long that we are just us to everyone!

• Like 1

I only listen to my Thai wife.

She keeps telling me I'm young and hansum.

Why would I bother with other opinions?

That suits me fine.

Must be all that Badger Milk that you drinklaugh.png

Yep, and I would advice everybody to follow my diet on Badger milk.

Especially, that Mr ND, judging from his avatar, I do think he's got some kind of skin, face disorder.

We should both try to introduce him to the miracle effects of Badger, ant or gerbil milk.

That suits me fine.

Especially, that Mr ND, judging from his avatar, I do think he's got some kind of skin, face disorder.

We should both try to introduce him to the miracle effects of Badger, ant or gerbil milk.

well i would guess by ND's avatar he indeed needs some badger's milk quick smart...cos his face looks like its been sucked dry!

• Like 1

That suits me fine.

well i would guess by ND's avatar he indeed needs some badger's milk quick smart...cos his face looks like its been sucked dry!

You see, MrToad?

Great minds, think alike.

didn't you mean Simple Minds Costas? laugh.png

Look, MrToad, I don't want to spoil, this excellent thread, talking about the effects of Badger milk on the skin and brain.

Although, it doesn't apply to us, being so young.

The word, old, doesn't exist, even in my vocabulary.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

it all depends who you ask, young people will say im old, old people will say im young, I say I really dont care wheres the jet ski and pour me another drink smile.png your as old as you feel.

"You're only as old as the girl you're feeling" that's my motto biggrin.png

That suits me fine.

Is badger milk the same as beaver juice ??

If so, then it's definitely beneficial for my complexion, especially after the facial scrub from the stubble ....

But I digress

I'm of an age where Thais call me Grandpa, but then my (Thai) wife has 6 grandkids, so it doesn't really bother me.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm follicularly challenged too .... but then I can't see that without a mirror, and it's low maintenance !!

If only I didn't have to shave every day, but that's white so you don't really notice.

• Like 1

My partner is Filipino and we live in Thailand as she works here. She does not refer to me as old (Iam 64), she tells me I am handsome and mature age - so I am happy with that. But I did see the parts starting to fall off once I got to 60.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dress properly and groom yourself properly AT ALL TIMES and you will never be seen as "past it."
Thai women of all ages and classes and for widely varying reasons have a weakness for the, um, "sharp-dressed man"
Do that . . . . DRESS WELL at all times.
Laundered shirts
Tailored pants
Fashionable watch
Good belt
Hi-end shoes, socks, eyeglass frames, sunglasses
Good haircut
SHAVE every day with good products
Take care of your teeth.
Floss, brush, maintain.
Carry a toothbrush, comb and some deodorant in your neat fashionable computer bag.
If you sweat, carry a small white towel.
Keep your shoes shined.
Get a regular hair trimming
Respect yourself and dress like you do
Above all don't believe for one minute that your "inner Hi-So" shines through that pair of cargo shorts, singlet and Tevas you wear because you find it comfortable to dress like a child in this hot weather.

Dress like you respect those around you.

Try it. Next time you step into an elevator full of office gals you just might get a few checking you out.

And after ten minutes outside you will look like a sweat drenched bag of sh**e - nice in theory and possibly has some truth but very difficult in reality unless you exist in an air conditioned environment - you also would look pretty daft on a motor bike wearing all that clobber.

It gives us all something to aspire to....