In Defence of Starbucks in Bangkok

californiabeachboy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh please! Do you know what a logical fallacy is? This one is called an "appeal to popularity". Just because something is popular does not mean it is good. Here are a few examples.......

McDonalds

Justin Beiber

Korean Fashion

I rest my case.........

No. I do know what "I don't care what anyone else says, my opinion is the right one" is, tho'. It's a common belief found everywhere, and seems to be very prevalent on certain websites.

You seem to be the only one pushing that attitude. The rest of us simply stated our dislike for Starbucks coffee and you seemed to take it personally......strange.......

Just 'cause you're a majority doesn't mean you're right. Ciao.

LOL......that's ironic. That is exactly what I tried explaining to you.........

• Like 1

My Starbucks stock has near doubled the last couple of years. No matter what opinions may be, they have a great business model.

If your Starbucks is the Starbucks that trades on the Nasdaq then 2 years ago it was trading around $50 and today it's at $77. Starbucks must love shareholders like you who think a $27 rise from $50 (just over 50%) is nearly double.

i dont complain about prices anywhere, i know what im willing to pay and i either do or i dont.

Starbucks thailand isnt any more expensive than starbucks anywhere.

Don't understand why there's so many angry people on this forum. (Not referring to you HH… ) It's only coffee. coffee1.gif

This is the question I have been asking myself for months now. Don't understand it either.

Starbucks is not really a coffee vendor - it's predominantly a milk vendor. Once you understand that, you either embrace the milk drinks that come with a shot of espresso....or you complain about the fact that their American style coffee is over-roasted and not really that great, comparatively speaking. Most of SBUX revenues are derived from selling the milk drinks and that's why people frequent the establishment, along with the atmosphere.

• Like 1

I have found Starbucks' coffee to vary between the shops. I am convinced that the Starbucks downstairs in Central Chidlom shorts the amount of coffee and chocolate that they put in their cafe mocha. The one on the top floor is much better and the coffee in the food court isn't bad either. The Starbucks near my house in Japan consistently makes great coffee.

My Starbucks stock has near doubled the last couple of years. No matter what opinions may be, they have a great business model.

If your Starbucks is the Starbucks that trades on the Nasdaq then 2 years ago it was trading around $50 and today it's at $77. Starbucks must love shareholders like you who think a $27 rise from $50 (just over 50%) is nearly double.

True, but from a low of about $23 in 2010, there must be some believers. I like some of it, some not at all, but I thought that was one of the points, is to have a choice.

Ahhh, the passions of TV - we can argue about anything.

But my post was not so much about the quality of Starbucks coffee, but about how you make a profit in Bkk when you provide a relatively cheap product, and you have air conditioning ( and apparently cheap wifi).

First, I guess I was wrong about the free wifi. When I was sitting there almost everyone was glued to their computer or other device, and only looked up every few minutes (to see if the building was on fire?), so I assumed it was free, but maybe they were just doing work offline. My bad.

But I agree with the above posts that it is very much about the "herd" mentality. I also went to a coffee place on lad prao, located in a new condo, with a very nice setting - newspapers and magazines (some in English), and good coffee - but it was empty. There are so many coffee shops in Bkk that have air conditioning and I just wonder how they make any money unless they mark up their coffee by a huge amount.

Lastly, if anyone wants to see a great routine about Starbucks by the comedian Lewis Black here it is:

Sorry mods but this video is a bit off topic so feel free to delete if appropriate.

Anyone can see by googling Lewis Black and Starbucks. maybe Thai young people are not as different from Western young people as some of us might think.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Starbucks in Chiang Mai does not have free wifi so is it still free in Bangkok? Up here, Starbucks partners with a wifi company and - guess what - Starbucks will SELL you the access to that wifi by the hour/day/week/month.

No there's no free wifi at Starbucks in Bangkok. But most people these days use their 3G connection on their smartphones as a hotspot wifi and connect it to their tablet or laptops. I do this myself when I'm at starbucks "working" online for a few hours and yes, I only order one cup of coffee......

From 2013... Bloomberg reports: Starbucks raising prices

What else is new?Starbucks has been raising prices piecemeal for 20 years. Remember 1993, when a tall coffee cost $1.25 and Starbucks was a gourmet treat, not an everyday commodity? Let’s grab a cup of coffee and do the time warp:

1994: Due to “soaring coffee prices,” Starbucks announces its first price increase in more than three years, reports the Denver Post. Prices on all coffee products go up by less than 10 percent. (9.8%)

1997: “Coffee Prices Hit 20-Year High,” reads a USA Today headline. Starbucks ups the price of coffee by a nickel and espresso drinks by a dime.

1999: A cup of Starbucks coffee goes up by about 10¢ in the U.S. and Canada.

2000: To offset higher labor and store costs locally, the chain raises the price of coffee drinks by 5¢ to 15¢ in San Francisco, San Diego, and Sacramento. Shortly after, it effects a the same increase in most U.S. and Canadian markets.

2004: The price for a regular Starbucks coffee rises by 10¢, and a mocha goes up by a quarter. But customers are hooked. “In testament to Starbucks’ mastery of the gourmet coffee scene, customers barely flinched,” reports the Sacramento Bee.

2006: Most coffee drinks cost an additional 5¢ in the U.S. and Canada. The company said it was necessary because of rising costs, including fuel and energy, reported Nation’s Restaurant News.

2007: Mocha Frappuccinos go up by an average 20¢ in early January. In July, Starbucks raises prices on other coffee drinks by about 9¢ per cup, citing higher dairy prices. The chain’s chief financial officer warns it will be “very challenging” for Starbucks to meet the high end of its 2007 earnings.

2009: The prices on simple drinks such as lattes and brewed coffees fall by 5¢ to 10¢, while more labor-intensive beverages like Frappuccinos and Macchiatos get about 30¢ more expensive.

2010: Starbucks raises its prices on some large-sized and “complicated” drinks. A regular tall coffee remains about $1.50.

2011: “Grappling with higher coffee costs,” the chain boosts the price of a tall coffee 15¢ in the Midwest, Hawaii, Pacific Northwest, and Southern California, according to Reuters.

2012: The Northeast and Sunbelt states see prices rise by about 1 percent. For example, the price of a tall coffee goes up 10¢.

2013: Nationwide, prices rise about 1 percent.

2014: not available.
These prices do not reflect local and state sales taxes and many places in the US have a separate restaurant tax as well! 3 or 3.5%, no kidding.
Do sbux menu prices in BKK include VAT? I think they do.
~

Starbucks coffee an oxymoron!

But I remember I had a decent coffee in Seattle around 1990, might have been a Starbucks shop. That came as a big surprise since I never had a decent cup of coffee in the USA, I rather called it dishwater.

Someone know where to have decent coffee in Montreal where I will be half September?

But I will bring my Thai coffee from Udon Delices with me, I know the Montreal GF has a coffee grinder.

Those of you harping on about the quality (lack thereof) of Starbucks coffee in Bangkok don't seem to get their business concept in Thailand.

First, just take a look around. Very, very few Thais drink coffee. The vast majority of customers in Thailand (or Singapore, for example) are drinking Frappuccino or other sugary, cold drinks. 99% of the students drink these, and they are more expensive even than the coffee.

Second, no one goes to Starbucks for their amazing coffee (or really even the sugary cold drinks). Unlike in the US or Japan, for example, you almost never see takeaway orders in Thailand. People are renting a comfortable place to sit and study, rest, work, or have a chat with friends. Why else would they provide huge numbers of power outlets? You don't need to plug in your laptop for a 10 minute stay, and this is not what Starbucks is marketing.

I am at Starbucks (one of the various Siam outlets) at least three times a week simple because it provides the most comfortable place to hang out while doing a bit of work...really no other reason. Many, many others are like me, and virtually every one of the numerous Starbucks in the vicinity is packed much of the time. Even with low turnover of seating, they make plenty of money and create tremendous brand loyalty. And not being fully of smelly backpackers complaining about the cost is an added bonus.

Bottom line, the company is not run by idiots. They know what they are selling (rented space), and the quality of their coffee is way down on the priority list...plus, they will happily make a new one if they get it wrong, which they very often do (I frequently make them fix their watery, overly wet cappuccinos -- but the same happens outside Thailand as well).

Edited by eppic

Those of you harping on about the quality (lack thereof) of Starbucks coffee in Bangkok don't seem to get their business concept in Thailand.

First, just take a look around. Very, very few Thais drink coffee. The vast majority of customers in Thailand (or Singapore, for example) are drinking Frappuccino or other sugary, cold drinks. 99% of the students drink these, and they are more expensive even than the coffee.

Second, no one goes to Starbucks for their amazing coffee (or really even the sugary cold drinks). Unlike in the US or Japan, for example, you almost never see takeaway orders in Thailand. People are renting a comfortable place to sit and study, rest, work, or have a chat with friends. Why else would they provide huge numbers of power outlets? You don't need to plug in your laptop for a 10 minute stay, and this is not what Starbucks is marketing.

I am at Starbucks (one of the various Siam outlets) at least three times a week simple because it provides the most comfortable place to hang out while doing a bit of work...really no other reason. Many, many others are like me, and virtually every one of the numerous Starbucks in the vicinity is packed much of the time. Even with low turnover of seating, they make plenty of money and create tremendous brand loyalty. And not being fully of smelly backpackers complaining about the cost is an added bonus.

Bottom line, the company is not run by idiots. They know what they are selling (rented space), and the quality of their coffee is way down on the priority list...plus, they will happily make a new one if they get it wrong, which they very often do (I frequently make them fix their watery, overly wet cappuccinos -- but the same happens outside Thailand as well).

Agree,

SB isn't about selling coffee, it's selling a coffee drinking environment.

Clean, inviting, with air con and wi-fi that is not free, this along with a higher price point keeps the riff raff out.

And with uniformity across platforms (stand-alones, airports, etc) similarity in product isn't going to vary much between them.

Starbucks coffee an oxymoron!

But I remember I had a decent coffee in Seattle around 1990, might have been a Starbucks shop. That came as a big surprise since I never had a decent cup of coffee in the USA, I rather called it dishwater.

Someone know where to have decent coffee in Montreal where I will be half September?

But I will bring my Thai coffee from Udon Delices with me, I know the Montreal GF has a coffee grinder.

In Canada, it's all about Tim Hortons. There are 26 of them in Montreal so you should have no problem finding one.

• Like 1

I hate the Starbucks freeloaders. 80 baht to sit on a sofa for 3 hours?? Even worse the twerps that sit down without making a purchase, particularly Emporium near the supermarket, groceries in hand. A jail sentence for this sort of behavior should not be out of the question.

• Like 1

Agree,

Clean, inviting, with air con and wi-fi that is not free, this along with a higher price point keeps the riff raff out.

And with uniformity across platforms (stand-alones, airports, etc) similarity in product isn't going to vary much between them.

Agree as well, though in the U.S., they've offered free Wifi for a few years.

Recently in the U.S., hundreds of people in a Starbucks drive-thru bought coffee for the drivers behind them. I've never understood why someone would do Starbucks drive-thru. The majority of the value for me lies in hanging out in a comfortable place and checking out the talent.

Agree,

I've never understood why someone would do Starbucks drive-thru.

Because they're too drunk to get.....never mind, I'm thinking of the Jack in the Box drive-thru.

• Like 2

Well, I like Starbucks although I'm not a big coffee drinker. When I do go I always order a mocha frappe for B120. It's nice to sit in a relatively "cheap charlie" free area for a while and watch the world go by.

Well, I like Starbucks although I'm not a big coffee drinker. When I do go I always order a mocha frappe for B120. It's nice to sit in a relatively "cheap charlie" free area for a while and watch the world go by.

Yep, that aint coffee my man.....that's a milk shake tongue.png

Yep, that aint coffee my man.....that's a milk shake tongue.png

I know. As I said in my post, I'm not a big coffee drinker. The mocha flavored milk shakes are great!

I'm a weird guy who only wants a large BREWED BLACK COFFEE.

Starbucks doesn't really cater to that so much and obviously that is considered a cheap charlie order there.

Though that's really what I want.

In Thailand I go there when I am travelling for that and am usually happy enough with the coffee.

To those who say they have crap coffee, sorry, in Thailand Starbucks is almost always the BEST place to reliably get acceptable brewed coffee.

It isn't as reliable as in the U.S. as it tends to be fresher there (more people order it but still not that many).

About the complaints that they over-roast their coffee, I don't really think they do that so much. Anyway, I like darker roast coffee, which is one reason that I like PEETS the best (from the U.S.).

Peet’s Coffee and Tea was established by Alfred Peet, an immigrant from Holland who worked for the tea business then moved to San Francisco in 1955 working for coffee importers for nearly a decade. Alfred was not satisfied with the coffee he came across people drinking and wanted to expose coffee drinkers to strong, better tasting, and higher in quality coffee. "Before I started, people were drinking Folgers and Hills Bros., and I thought, 'God no, there must be something better,' " Alfred Peet. In 1966, he opened his first store in Berkeley, California after his family name and specialties, which was gourmet coffee and tea. The European style dark roasted coffee beans and aroma that came with it became a trademark of Peet’s. The smell of fresh coffee and beans always reminded customers why they were even in there in...

http://www.studymode.com/essays/Starbucks-Vs-Peets-Coffee-529697.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1