NBTC reveals 100,000 phone numbers already registered via '2 Shots' app

webfact

NBTC reveals 100,000 phone numbers already registered via "2 Shots" app

BANGKOK, 22 August 2014 (NNT) -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has advised that 100,000 phone numbers have already been registered via the "2 Shots" app, and that it would soon offer the service at convenience stores.

Ms. Chitsata Sriprasertsuk, the Director of the Numbering Management Group, National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), revealed that as of now the registration of prepaid mobile phone SIM cards via the "2 Shots" app had reached about 100,000 phone numbers and was increasing.

The NBTC is also to offer the service at 7,700 7-11 convenience stores nationwide, so people buying mobile phone SIM cards, can immediately register them. The service should be available in October.

Offering the same service at Big C and Lotus department stores and 1,200 branches of Krung Thai Bank nationwide should begin later this year.

The next step for NBTC is to develop a SIM card registration service via a national ID card reader, which could immediately connect to registered user information.

NBTC has also organized the "2 Shots" campaign in provincial areas to educate people about the importance of mobile phone SIM card registration, and how easy and secure it is to do via the app.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-22 footer_n.gif

I think it's meant to be for safety reasons.

Too many times a mobile phone is used to trigger the detonator of a bomb (especially in the South).

Registering phone-numbers should tackle this problem......they guess.

Of course......culprits will use not-registered mobile-phones/sim-cards. sad.png

I think it's meant to be for safety reasons.

Too many times a mobile phone is used to trigger the detonator of a bomb (especially in the South).

Registration being required started in 2005 with November 2005 deadline and due in part to the above. I remember when all the news about the requirement came out and went to my DTAC shop and registered using my passport. Some modest queues as others were trying to beat the deadline. At that time, you filled out you information on a list on a clipboard and what they did with the paper list I don't know. Of course now it is probably all computerized.

That was 9 years ago so wonder if that information is still there in case they check?

//edit - just remembered that the university office staff came around with a form to fill out to comply with the requirement.

As far back as I can remember Oz always had paperwork to fill in to buy a SIM. Can't recall any men in black snooping around encroaching on my God given right to freedom and the all American way though. Sorry...got carried away therebiggrin.png

Must register my disappointment with the headlines though - I thought it might have been an app for a quick hit of booze or an app for the local Mafia to take out someone with a quick two shots.

What is important about registration?

And for who?

Don't know, but Thaksin ordered all SIM cards sold to be registered to nat'l ID card/passport. Said it was in resistance to mobile detonated IEDs in the South.

Didn't last long. In some ways, the junta too much resembles T.