Buying Bamboo in SanPatong or Hang Dong

sunoco27

I bought a truckload of bamboo from the yard just as you approach hang dong coming from c.m

It's on the right side at the point where the dual carriageway runs into one lane.

2inch bamboo comes in 6m lengths and will cost you 20/30bt a length.

One thing to note.....bamboo is hollow not solid core and often full of beetles so make sure you spray it otherwise it will be eaten in no time.

The yard that eyecatcher is referring to is located here: http://goo.gl/maps/axJsD

I've done business with them as well, and would recommend them to anyone looking for quality, unfinished bamboo.

I've seen several older threads in which folks have stated that Chiangmai Life Construction on Canal Road in Nong Kwai does NOT sell treated, finished bamboo to the general public, reserving it instead for their projects alone.

Can anyone confirm that information?

LT

If you are after a piece that's been properly treated and use for building purposes then CLC are the folks to see. Mae Hia / Hang Dong-ish.

http://www.chiangmailifeconstruction.com

Yes it has some nice pieces but they are architecturally prepared and dried and shaped for contract projects. Very expensive aswell.

The op only needs a single length.

Actually from CLC if you continue further on the left there is another timber yard, very big, and this is where I get the 3 4 5 inch bamboo, now that's nice bamboo but can be paying a whopping 50bt a metre for it !

I bought a truckload of bamboo from the yard just as you approach hang dong coming from c.m

It's on the right side at the point where the dual carriageway runs into one lane.

2inch bamboo comes in 6m lengths and will cost you 20/30bt a length.

One thing to note.....bamboo is hollow not solid core and often full of beetles so make sure you spray it otherwise it will be eaten in no time.

That 1 to 1.5" bamboo is pretty solid. My untreated hiking/bushwhacking/dog repelling stick is several years old now, & you wouldn't want a whack on the back of the head with it laugh.png

Also useful as handles for hoes, rakes etc.

If you are after a piece that's been properly treated and use for building purposes then CLC are the folks to see. Mae Hia / Hang Dong-ish.

http://www.chiangmailifeconstruction.com

Yes it has some nice pieces but they are architecturally prepared and dried and shaped for contract projects. Very expensive aswell.

The op only needs a single length.

Actually from CLC if you continue further on the left there is another timber yard, very big, and this is where I get the 3 4 5 inch bamboo, now that's nice bamboo but can be paying a whopping 50bt a metre for it !

If you ask nicely they may do you a single length.

It will outlast untreated bamboo by 10-15 years.

Depends what you want it for.

Up to you as they say in the classics.

Many Thais know there are many different kinds of bamboo and they know the properties of each so they can choose an appropriate kind to meet their needed use. It is not just about drying or treatment.

There are more that don't know than do.

The CLC option was if he was after a piece that would last 12-15 years. Untreated 3-7. It's just suggestion, not an order.

Edited by DaamNaam