Wi-fi router with mobile SIM card?

simon43

My new guesthouse is in a location where ToT is unable to provide internet service, because there are no cables available.

They suggested wi-net (internet via radio), but couldn't provide this either, due to the high rubber trees nearby which obscure the radio reception.

I need to find a solution. I have 2 options:

- Run a network cable 100 metres from the router at my ex's guesthouse nearby. This will work, but it means that I am then reliant on my ex for providing me with internet service.

Obtain my internet service from one of the mobile networks.

I don't know the details of this, but I understand that it is possible to use a wi-fi router into which the mobile network SIM card is inserted.

Does anyone use this solution? If so, which mobile network offers unlimited internet access for a reasonable monthly fee, and with a good access speed? I am in Phuket

Yes, 3G/4G SIM Card Slot WIFI MIFI Wireless Routers do exist, but it's probably not a convenient solution for a guesthouse because (as far as I know), there is no real "unlimited" 3G/4G internet access at the moment in Thailand. You actually buy a quota for a given duration (for instance, 5 GB data allowance / 30 days) and once you reach your quota limit, your speed for data connection is dramatically reduced (down to 384 Kbps usually) until the next purchase or renewal cycle.

Wi-net would probably have been the best solution in your case, but if not available, you should opt for your first solution. Maybe IPStar (broadband satellite operator) could be another solution, but it's very expensive and the speed is low (for instance, you have to pay about 2800 baht monthly for a 1 Mbps unlimited connection), and it's not very reliable especially during the rainy season.

Edited by GuyL

You can also use a smart phone. Internet connection sharing (tagging or whatever) works pretty well with the data packages I have had from AIS. Sure you are throttled after 3Gb back to 384k, but 3Gb is fine for most things other than media downloads. It essentially means you can use the SIM that is already in your phone, and don't need to carry an extra piece of kit. There is probably an option to buy more bandwidth - but if it gets complicated buying new volume on the same SIM, then just buy another SIM (50 baht or so). I use the AIS monthly package for 399 baht, over s Galaxy S4. Works for me. DTAC and others solutions may vary.

There is little or no 4G outside urban Bangkok at the moment, and even inside, it isn't universal, so you will almost certainly be dealing with 3G at best.

Edited by korkenzieher

You can also use a smart phone. Internet connection sharing (tagging or whatever) works pretty well with the data packages I have had from AIS. Sure you are throttled after 3Gb back to 384k, but 3Gb is fine for most things other than media downloads.

[...]

It's for a guesthouse, not for an individual user, and that's why it's probably not convenient in this case (IMHO), because his guests will probably want to use Internet also to watch videos, etc. Nowadays, 3 GB or even 5 GB data packages can be fully used very quickly (some guests might want to download a couple of movies, for instance).
  • Like 1

Wifi thailand , i was there in march and had a thai sim from smile ? Is it ? I used it with my iphone it had a fixed anount of 3g but when it reached its limit a msg came up saying for an extra 54 bt i could continue so i had full wifi for maybe just over a pound a day ! I was streaming music watching you tube it ran fine , i live in greece and my landline wifi costs more !

Tonybeerd, on 23 Aug 2014 - 12:43, said:

Wifi thailand , i was there in march and had a thai sim from smile ? Is it ? I used it with my iphone it had a fixed anount of 3g but when it reached its limit a msg came up saying for an extra 54 bt i could continue so i had full wifi for maybe just over a pound a day ! I was streaming music watching you tube it ran fine , i live in greece and my landline wifi costs more !

I'm not sure you know what "Wi Fi" is.