Most of the rice tested in government warehouses 'substandard'

Lite Beer

The whole affair clearly demonstrates what a farce the whole scam scheme was from the start.

Nothing more than a conduit to syphon funds into other pockets.

Note who is going to have to pick up the bill for this matter. The Thai people whilst those responsible for this grand scam scheme walk or run free.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've told you before about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing so surely you should know by now that price does not equal value.coffee1.gif

It would seem that some will not put a price on something they do not value. Maybe that's why T@H only asked So what is this damage worth in terms of the price?

Your remark doesn't really help this discussion though and as such I do not value your priceless comments wink.png

In agricultural trading, everything has a value. New crop, old crop,mouldy. Reputation counts to make the price but crop years and policy changes change this perception.

I sold dust and floor sweeping from a processing factory once.

A disgusting and disgraceful admission. You are an appalling person to do such a thing, let alone admit it. (Almost) beyond belief.

Would you trust that 300 samples makes a completely representative result and he really knows that 80% is off from such a tiny sample. There are 1800 warehouses with god knows how many stacks.

Stating 80% is substandard is incredibly dangerous. It may as well be 100%

They took 1339 samples, not 300 as you claim, and only 235 of those passed the quality standards. I assume they took a random sample from each warehouse, and that is how it is done elsewhere in the world. It may even be that the 235 samples that passed the test, were from the only good bag in the whole warehouse.

Would you suggest that they had to take 3.500.000 samples to get a clear picture ?

They have 18 MILLION tonnes.

So, if you were to buy 100,000 tonnes. How many samples would you fancy for pesticides?

10? So. 18mn with a sample every 10,000.

Do the maths.

Evsluating visual effects from 1000 samples in 18 MILLION tonnes means nothing. In fact less than nothing. They took sample from 1000 sacks. Phooooowee.

BIIIIIIG sample.

That doesn't even make one sample per warehouse.

Why you always keep changing numbers that are written black on white in the OP. It seems to be a trademark of you to change the numbers to make your boat float.

It doesn't say they took 300 samples, neither does it say 1000 samples, it says so far 1339 samples have been tested, and the final results will still take one more month, so there are most probably taken many more samples that haven't been processed yet.

They are also not only visually evaluating the samples, they are testing them in laboratories on chemicals, moist and so much more.

Which part of the OP is unreadable on your PC?

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

Haven't seen any evidence of a scam. Bad policy, yes. Poorly managed, yes. Scam, no...I can;t see how Yingluck is implicated in this other than as the person running with a lousy policy.

She lied, and so did her cabinet. Whether they were involved in illegal activities, like the forged documents allegedly linked to the PTP MP wife of Arisman's company; or the organization responsible for administering the warehouses run by Chalerm's son's mate which presumably guaranteed all was well in quantity and quality etc etc. There are just too many hovering on the periphery.

Even Yinggy and the senior Shins can't have been that arrogant and daft enough to be personally involved, can they? Guess we'll never know,

But the lies told are on record. Lying in a public office, denying there was anything wrong, claiming imaginary deals had been done, saying they had enough money to pay, saying loans weren't needed, vowing to pay the farmers and then just breaking the promise without further comment. All lies. No real accounts ever presented - incompetence, or fraud. All should be investigated but hey, this is Thailand and the top class HiSo's never get punished.

But why all the lying? What were they trying to cover up? Or just trying to buy time hoping for a quick election, get back in office, bring the boss home and get their hands on the 2,2 trillion? Who knows.

If the HiSo Thai's never get punished, why is Thaksin in exile?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Haven't seen any evidence of a scam. Bad policy, yes. Poorly managed, yes. Scam, no...I can;t see how Yingluck is implicated in this other than as the person running with a lousy policy.

She lied, and so did her cabinet. Whether they were involved in illegal activities, like the forged documents allegedly linked to the PTP MP wife of Arisman's company; or the organization responsible for administering the warehouses run by Chalerm's son's mate which presumably guaranteed all was well in quantity and quality etc etc. There are just too many hovering on the periphery.

Even Yinggy and the senior Shins can't have been that arrogant and daft enough to be personally involved, can they? Guess we'll never know,

But the lies told are on record. Lying in a public office, denying there was anything wrong, claiming imaginary deals had been done, saying they had enough money to pay, saying loans weren't needed, vowing to pay the farmers and then just breaking the promise without further comment. All lies. No real accounts ever presented - incompetence, or fraud. All should be investigated but hey, this is Thailand and the top class HiSo's never get punished.

But why all the lying? What were they trying to cover up? Or just trying to buy time hoping for a quick election, get back in office, bring the boss home and get their hands on the 2,2 trillion? Who knows.

Because he's a coward ?

• Like 1

Well, u think that rice buying is just some random event without industry experts and priced just magicked out of the ether.

The industry knows very well what colorariin damage does to prices but I or u are left none the wiser. After a year colouring was to be expected and no one in the industry is going to be shocked by this at all.

But the product still has a value as the standard it is.

So, no?

No one knows? By the way. I have little doubt the buyers are buying this years crop with no issue and at top price as normal. The reputation argument is specious. Crop years are crop years.

It isn't as though the market didn't notice the subsidy scheme was in effect.

So, reputation has no price? Does that mean reputation has no value?

I thought you were in business. Do you make a unique product the market will buy from you anyway, or do you need to put on effort into selling?

I've told you before about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing so surely you should know by now that price does not equal value.coffee1.gif

It would seem that some will not put a price on something they do not value. Maybe that's why T@H only asked So what is this damage worth in terms of the price?

Your remark doesn't really help this discussion though and as such I do not value your priceless comments wink.png

I sold dust and floor sweeping from a processing factory once.

The dust and floor sweeping was a bi-product of what type of processing plant?

He is actually in SELF exile because he ran away from a 2 year jail sentence with about 15 more charges waiting for him. He has ALWAYS been able to return to Thailand from his own SELF exile but that would mean he would have to go to jail to complete his sentence. During the time he would be in jail the other charges would be brought and if he was found guilty he would be sentenced for them as well.

The only thing stopping Thaksin from returning is Thaksin himself.

Because he's a coward ?

Good answer.

Still, Mr. hiSo was convicted and is facing 2 years if he returns, with more charges waiting.

Now, with Prayuth et.al. it seems convicted criminals will be punished.

Would you trust that 300 samples makes a completely representative result and he really knows that 80% is off from such a tiny sample. There are 1800 warehouses with god knows how many stacks.

They took 1339 samples, not 300 as you claim, and only 235 of those passed the quality standards. I assume they took a random sample from each warehouse, and that is how it is done elsewhere in the world. It may even be that the 235 samples that passed the test, were from the only good bag in the whole warehouse.

Would you suggest that they had to take 3.500.000 samples to get a clear picture ?

So, if you were to buy 100,000 tonnes. How many samples would you fancy for pesticides?

Do the maths.

Evsluating visual effects from 1000 samples in 18 MILLION tonnes means nothing. In fact less than nothing. They took sample from 1000 sacks. Phooooowee.

BIIIIIIG sample.

They said there was 19.8 million tons of rice :

Minister Yanyong visited the NACC on Wednesday to submit a letter asserting that inspections of the rice stock in warehouses, carried out in March by Ministry of Commerce officials and members of the rice stock inspection committee, found that the entire 18.7 million tons of rice was intact and another 1.1 million tons was being fumigated.

They also said it was all in good condition.

We now know that what is there is not in good condition so what confidence can we have of the quantity that is there ?

We do know that there are considerable quantities missing from several warehouses but as yet we don't know how much or how much is actually there.

18 million tons is only your number and your maths is only just that 'your maths' and the numbers are only yours that you are presenting as truth in an attempt to defend.

Personally I am not about to do any speculation until I see the report at the end of next month which will present all of us with the facts.

Well having worked in another industry a little similar this amount of samples means nothing.

They have 19mn (even more apparently now) tonnes, contained in 100kg sacks.

19,000,000 x 10 = 19,000,000,00 sacks and u reckon 1800 samples is.enough to work out the quality of colour? If their report at the end the month is using sampling data like this good luck.

3% random visual sample would have done it. Now, all they have is a blanket statement that 80% is substandard.

This can not be true as I fully remember Yingluck making the announcement that she ordered and inspection or these warehouses and the stockpiles were in good condition. It is known to all that a Shiniwatra would not lie

I will do all in my power to nominate you for a Pulitzer prize as your funny and sarcastic writing here exposed, for the first time in history, a government that told a lie.

Well done sir!

It seems sarcasm is contagious........... biggrin.png

The post by Bob12345 is the perfect example of how dangerous sarcasm can be if put in the hands of the wrong person.

It should be kept in a child-proof bottle ! thumbsup.gif

This can not be true as I fully remember Yingluck making the announcement that she ordered and inspection or these warehouses and the stockpiles were in good condition. It is known to all that a Shiniwatra would not lie

I will do all in my power to nominate you for a Pulitzer prize as your funny and sarcastic writing here exposed, for the first time in history, a government that told a lie.

Well done sir!

It seems sarcasm is contagious........... biggrin.png

The post by Bob12345 is the perfect example of how dangerous sarcasm can be if put in the hands of the wrong person.

It should be kept in a child-proof bottle ! thumbsup.gif

Please explain why it is so dangrous in the hands of wrong people or in my hands.

Your post adds about 0.00 to the conversation here but thanks anyways for stopping by.

When I go shopping back home in western world there is an amazing variety of rice from all over the world. Almost an entire aisle of rice of all varieties in everything from small bags to large sacks. I always bought the Thai rice because it always appeared to be the best quality. It just looks better quality then all the other rice from all over the world. It wasn't necessarily more expensive but I was usually willing to pay a bit more anyways.

This has shook my confidence in their product as a consumer. I know just how much the people in the fields who grow this need the money. Even if only a small fraction of what I pay gets back to them I at least feel like I am doing something.

This is just really sad. At the very least the product of an incompetent gov't. Thailand was in such an enviable position in world rice markets and within a couple years they have basically destroyed that. It will take a very long time to build up that reputation again. I think the Thai economy is going to be feeling this for a long time to come.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

When I go shopping back home in western world there is an amazing variety of rice from all over the world. Almost an entire aisle of rice of all varieties in everything from small bags to large sacks. I always bought the Thai rice because it always appeared to be the best quality. It just looks better quality then all the other rice from all over the world. It wasn't necessarily more expensive either but I was usually willing to pay a bit more.

This has shook my confidence in their product as a consumer. I know just how much the people in the fields who grow this need the money. Even if only a small fraction of what I pay gets back to them I at least fell like I am doing something. This is just really sad. At the very least the product of an incompetent gov't. Thailand was in such an enviable position in world rice markets and within a couple years they have basically destroyed that. It takes a very long time to build up that reputation again. I think the Thai economy is going to be feeling this for a long time to come.

Chill out.

Top quality hom Mali is still brilliant.

When I go shopping back home in western world there is an amazing variety of rice from all over the world. Almost an entire aisle of rice of all varieties in everything from small bags to large sacks. I always bought the Thai rice because it always appeared to be the best quality. It just looks better quality then all the other rice from all over the world. It wasn't necessarily more expensive either but I was usually willing to pay a bit more.

This has shook my confidence in their product as a consumer. I know just how much the people in the fields who grow this need the money. Even if only a small fraction of what I pay gets back to them I at least fell like I am doing something. This is just really sad. At the very least the product of an incompetent gov't. Thailand was in such an enviable position in world rice markets and within a couple years they have basically destroyed that. It takes a very long time to build up that reputation again. I think the Thai economy is going to be feeling this for a long time to come.

Chill out.

Not the point. Where do you think all that poor quality rice is going to go? Feed pigs and to the bug farms maybe. Thais won't eat it. They are more picky than westerners. So basically the Thai economy will take a much larger hit than initially thought and the vicious circle eventually hits the rice farmers. All while the price of rice domestically goes up and has to be sold at a loss on world markets just to compete. Meanwhile Burma, which used to be the world leader in rice production until Thailand took that away, is doing everything they can to regain that lead. I suspect this will speed that up. I think Thailand already lost their standing as the world leader in rice exports within the last year. If not they are probably close to it. All basically because of the rice scheme.

Edited by lapd

Do the maths.

BIIIIIIG sample.

Long time ago I studied math and I still vaguely remember statistics and stochastics with mathematical models to calculate the chance you would come to the wrong conclusion based on expectations on the spread of the value of your samples as put in easy layman's terms. I always liked the Student t-distribution rolleyes.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student%27s_t-distribution

It's simple really. Just like when Dr. Weir explained his faster-than-light drive

""In layman's terms, you use a rotating magnetic field to

focus a narrow beam of gravitons; these in turn fold space-time consistent
with Weyl tensor dynamics until the space-time curvature becomes infinitely

large and you have a singularity ...""

Chill out.

Not the point. Where do you think all that poor quality rice is going to go? Feed pigs and to the bug farms maybe. Thais won't eat it. They are more picky than westerners. So basically the Thai economy will take a much larger hit than initially thought and the vicious circle eventually hits the rice farmers. All while the price of rice domestically goes up and has to be sold at a loss on world markets just to compete. Meanwhile Burma, which used to be the world leader in rice production until Thailand took that away, is doing everything they can to regain that lead. I suspect this will speed that up. I think Thailand already lost their standing as the world leader in rice exports within the last year. If not they are probably close to it. All basically because of the rice scheme.

There is more than enough quality rice in every crop in Thailand to feed the people. Thats why they export.

Why the prices of current crop are going up, god knows. The stuff in the warehouse doesn't need to be touched to satisfy domestic demand at all.

Thailand is they say, going to export 9mn tonnes. Of what years who knows but that is straight back to normal volume for Thailand.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Do the maths.

BIIIIIIG sample.

Long time ago I studied math and I still vaguely remember statistics and stochastics with mathematical models to calculate the chance you would come to the wrong conclusion based on expectations on the spread of the value of your samples as put in easy layman's terms. I always liked the Student t-distribution rolleyes.gif

It's simple really. Just like when Dr. Weir explained his faster-than-light drive

Quite.

But still 1800 samples for 18,000,000 tonnes is ummmm, fairly miniscule.

Chill out.

There is more than enough quality rice in every crop in Thailand to feed the people. Thats why they export.

Why the prices of current crop are going up, god knows. The stuff in the warehouse doesn't need to be touched to satisfy domestic demand at all.

Thailand is they say, going to export 9mn tonnes. Of what years who knows but that is straight back to normal volume for Thailand.

Nobody is talking about a lack of rice......lol! Again, not the point!

• Like 1

Chill out.

Nobody is talking about a lack of rice......lol! Again, not the point!

I fail to see where the Thai economy is going to take this hit, other than the subsidy having been removed from it. The rice is in the warehouse, the world still turns.

The money from the previous crops has been spent. The new crop is being bought and.....

Maybe the junta should keep paying the subsidy to keep the economy moving. I don't get your point about the economy getting a hit.

Because he's a coward ?

Because he's a coward AND guilty.

What a load of #$%^&!!!!!!!

Thai rice is one of the best in the world, that's why most of the best chef's use Jasmine (Thai ) rice, how-come now there's a new kid on the block say's most of it is substandard? Cause the farmers that produce it aren't doing anything different,,, but now some who ever, paid by the powers that be is now claiming this,,, WHAT A STEAMING PILE OF HORSE SH*T...

Thai rice is one of the best in the world, that's why most of the best chef's use Jasmine (Thai ) rice, how-come now there's a new kid on the block say's most of it is substandard? Cause the farmers that produce it aren't doing anything different,,, but now some who ever, paid by the powers that be is now claiming this,,, WHAT A STEAMING PILE OF HORSE SH*T...

Thai rice is some of the best in the world and the demand for current crop rice will be as high as ever.

The report about sub standard rice is about that which has been stored for 2, 3 or 4 years in far from ideal conditions and is now damp, contaminated with pests and absolutely not the quality required by the international market.

• Like 1

Since you started with a false premise, what you wrote ended up being the steaming pile of ...

The Yingluck government promised to pay different amounts based on different types of rice: THB 20,000 per ton for Hom Mali rice (Jasmine, long grain), THB 18,000 per ton for provincial fragrant rice, THB 16,000 per ton for Pathum Thani rice (long grain glutinous), THB 15,000-16,000 per ton for glutinous and THB 13,800 - 15,000 per ton for white rice.

Most farmers, being smart, figured out that the cheapest to grow is the lowest grade, which is what they did. Many who were growing higher grades switched to white rice to get this giveaway where global prices didn't matter.

Hence, the stockpile the NCPO has to now deal with is primarily the lowest grade of rice. In addition, it has also been stored improperly.

Edited by Old Man River
  • Like 2

Do the maths.

BIIIIIIG sample.

The key is to get a random sample that is representative for the total population; not some samples from a few selected warehouses.

If the samples are not completely random or not representative then the t-distribution cannot be applied.

Edited by Bob12345

Can the smartest man in the room put up his hand... Oh sorry ML Panadda Diskul, permanent secretary at the PM's Office that is NOT YOU.

Can someone explain to me how this bullshit goes. The claims by ML Panadda Diskul are of a destitute situation, along with everyone in "power now"!!! BUT but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but

can someone explain to me why the recent auctions yeilded as per the BP today, not to mention name, the business section, lead story. Bidders offered 28.50 baht per kilogram for Horm Mali, and 11.50 baht per ton for standard white rice, when the Thaksin program was buying at 15 baht per ton. I can see that this project will potentially make money, not that any of the sycophants would let us know. This whole last 12 months has and will continue to be nothing but a giant fraudulent attempt to ensure the rural base do not ever get a leg up.

Since you started with a false premise, what you wrote ended up being the steaming pile of ...

The Yingluck government promised to pay different amounts based on different types of rice: THB 20,000 per ton for Hom Mali rice (Jasmine, long grain), THB 18,000 per ton for provincial fragrant rice, THB 16,000 per ton for Pathum Thani rice (long grain glutinous), THB 15,000-16,000 per ton for glutinous and THB 13,800 - 15,000 per ton for white rice.

Most farmers, being smart, figured out that the cheapest to grow is the lowest grade, which is what they did. Many who were growing higher grades switched to white rice to get this giveaway where global prices didn't matter.

Hence, the stockpile the NCPO has to now deal with is primarily the lowest grade of rice. In addition, it has also been stored improperly.

thumbsup.gif

Thank you for sorting out which is the real steaming pile of ....... by exposing the lie of a false premise.