safest vehicle to drive

Mike45

See above, a completely sensible comment, one can wrap themselves in bubble wrap for safety and if you can't drive capably no amount of "safety" features or vehicle size is going to help you or the others around you on the road. I drove a small SEAT Cordoba there for years and guess what? No reason to feel unsafe, in fact felt/feel VERY safe as did/does my family, because of WHO was/is driving the car they ride in..

so you've changed your mind - after all it was a totally unsupportable comment.

Where did you see a change of mind?

He'as now included the safety features of the vehicle......next he''l have to admit they make a difference....it's slow process with WS which usually ends up in a tantrum.

Please try to understand a post before commenting on it.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove a mini for many years when I was young. Could hardly be called 'safe' with a cooper engine and drum brakes. No safety features whatsoever. I never felt unsafe as I drove within my limits, and in particular, the limits of the car and road/traffic conditions. Freak accidents do occur, as we have seen, but by and large, most accidents can be avoided by due diligence....e.g. not following too close when some idiot, up front, has to slam on his/her brakes because they are following too close. While physics is on your side in a big truck, one loses out on maneuverability, and there is a good 50% chance you would hit another truck anyway. Hope its got good crumple zones. I'd much rather be in a smaller more powerful car with strong brakes and suspension (and a decent safety kit). Yes it could be more crushed in an an accident, but the whole point is to use to cars capabilities (and one's driver skill) to avoid accidents. They are more chuckable and more fun too...in the right conditions:)

The problem in Thailand is that driver training is very lax and law enforcement even more so. Passing MORE questions on a test won't make any difference to driver skill. Only more training (on real roads) and better driver assessment will make a difference. Idiots here die everyday here, regardless of the kind of vehicle.

Something big with allot of mass and decent safety kit...the top-spec Ford Ranger comes to mind...lots of mass and 6 airbags. All Nissan Teanas, even lowest spec, come with 6 airbags as well. I'm looking at the Teana. The Volvo XC-60 would be nice but over 3M baht is just too much.

Funny you should say that - I was looking at the Teana, and eventually bought the top-of-the-range Ford Ranger. Lots of mass, and plenty of torque to keep it moving. Lovely and roomy on the inside and out - and other vehicles tend to give it a wide berth in traffic.

A vehicle is only as safe as its driver

Well, if you are the world's best driver in the vehicle with the best passive and active safety features, I guess you'd be pretty well off from a safety angle... if your's were the only vehicle on the road...

But if you were to meet an idiot driving an Abrams tank, 10 wheel truck or [fill in the blank] in the opposite, perpendicular or even same direction you'd be pretty much toast

The driver is but one factor, safety features another... all you can try to do is stack the odds as much in your favour as you can possibly manage... and then cross your fingers... or pray if you are that way inclined!

Ford Ranger 3.2 Wildtrak will be my next buy.

Scored 5 Eurocap stars (the maximum score).

The 3.2 Wildtrak model has front airbags,side and curtain airbags plus many active safety features.

The only difference between the Thai model and the UK model is a knee airbag.

Made in Thailand as well.

Ford Ranger 3.2 Wildtrak will be my next buy.

Scored 5 Eurocap stars (the maximum score).

The 3.2 Wildtrak model has front airbags,side and curtain airbags plus many active safety features.

The only difference between the Thai model and the UK model is a knee airbag.

Made in Thailand as well.

How many stars for the engine and auto trans.....?...........whistling.gif

In theory the safer vehicle to drive is the one with the greater mass and efficient crumple zones during a collision.

I prefer to drive a car that is larger then the average car so my choice is something weighing +2000 kgs preferably of european origin.

Most accidents in Thailand involve motorcyles and pickups so statistically speaking the odds are in my favor.

Even though I love those Harley's and Bugatti's I avoid motorcycles at all costs as I prefer metal covering my hide then my hide covering metal.

Edited by smileydude

We got a Pajero as we have two little kids, need the space, enjoy the safety factor, and it's not insanely expensive (1.2mb).

It also runs on diesel, which is cheaper.

http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=512

+ 1 for the Pajero - been driving them since the 80's on and off road in 3 different areas of the world....have seen them roll and or land on the roof - turn them back over & let the fluids drain down and away they go usually with a cracked windshield (we ususally had to pool our AAA cards for the other 4x4's that tried to come along due to carnage) - these are very strong cars.....had someone hit in Calif by a drunk driver in a dually 3/4 ton Ford F350 - the drunk was doing 70 MPH down hill when he lost it - hit head on to the Montero doing 55-60 going uphill - everyone survived....many reports over the years of these stout cars giving it up while keeping their owners alive/safe under accident conditions.....that's what I drive in LOS (diesel also) and although I may not have the mobility many espouse sometimes trading armor for mobilty has proven fatal more often than not when push comes to crunch.....I like driving a vehicle that sits high for visibilty reasons - if I'm not driving as squirrelly or as fast as the more mobile cars so be it....I can get 650+ k per tank (important to me) and usually keep rolling along while their getting topped off......

In the states had 3 vehicles - Montero/Pajero = fun car could go anywhere feeling safe.....Lexus sports car I drove thoughout the western states participating in sports - extremely quick for a production car and very agile - but I never felt completely safe - a lot had to do with limited visibilty compared to the other vehicles even though the mileage was great as well as the fun of pure driving.....car 3 is a Toyota 4 Runner - same safety rating as the MB 400 (highest at time of production) - this is used for touring and towing and has all the airbags and curtains + a capable 4x4 for adverse conditions (important to me) - of all the vehicles this is what I feel safest in.....have driven the Fortunas (not avail in US) and they are not very solid feeling or impressive.....Did had a Hilux 4 door 4x4 Diesel here in LOS for 2 years and felt safe in that but not very good on twisty wet roads.....

You'd expect a certain amount of idiocy in a thread with such an open ended title... but four pictures of tanks, no one can do better than this? Sad...

Now, to the OP. GO VOLVO!

Having said that, I would be wary of anything like the V/S40 models of today. The Volvo reputation for 'solid' was forged in the 70's and 80's and some of those cars are still the best bet, if you an find a good one. I have personally rolled a 240DL 16 times along a highway and walked away from it. My father dropped his 164GL off a levy bank of 10 onto the roof and not only survived but drove the car home. I have owned an S40, I do not think much of them at all. They are a re-badged Mitsusbishi Magna with a few safety touches.

VW is also a solid craft, expensive, but since ou asked about 'safe' then they certainy qualify.

Oz

With all respect it depends on the driver. I drive a lot from Khon Kaen to Pattaya 6-7 hours and I am always looking in the mirrors to see what is coming up behind me and looking who is coming towards me, use your mirrors and common sense.

• Like 1

You'd expect a certain amount of idiocy in a thread with such an open ended title... but four pictures of tanks, no one can do better than this? Sad...

Now, to the OP. GO VOLVO!

Having said that, I would be wary of anything like the V/S40 models of today. The Volvo reputation for 'solid' was forged in the 70's and 80's and some of those cars are still the best bet, if you an find a good one. I have personally rolled a 240DL 16 times along a highway and walked away from it. My father dropped his 164GL off a levy bank of 10 onto the roof and not only survived but drove the car home. I have owned an S40, I do not think much of them at all. They are a re-badged Mitsusbishi Magna with a few safety touches.

VW is also a solid craft, expensive, but since ou asked about 'safe' then they certainy qualify.

Oz

16 Times! Are you sure! Get a bump on the head? They could never go fast enough. sad.png

The best and safest car in Thailand, this would be my choice and I hope this link works

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRmT0iRic&sns=em

I would just love one of these in Phuket,mor anywhere in Thailand for that matter. And it's bullet proof !

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

The best and safest car in Thailand, this would be my choice and I hope this link works

I would just love one of these in Phuket,mor anywhere in Thailand for that matter. And it's bullet proof !

SDM

Impressive!!

The V40 is nice but around 1.7 million new + also has Knee airbags, but for 1/2 that price you can get a Proton Preve 2 airbags, 2 side airbags and 2 curtain airbags and also rated 5 Stars in the cash test..

New Mazda 3 also and has a 5 start rating..

Top model Focus also has same amount of airbags..

Also got to look out for Thai built models, sold here the Top Nissan Pulsar has only 2 airbags, yet the export models have side airbags

The Mazda 3 that was tested was not a Thai built vehicle. Iam sceptical that it has a 5 star rating....

Kinda like the Ford Ranger, It has a 5 star rating, but not the ones for the domestic market.

SDM

How is that the safest car in Thailand when nobody can buy one (except the Military) even if they were for sale here.

SDM

How is that the safest car in Thailand when nobody can buy one (except the Military) even if they were for sale here.

I think it's probably the safest car on the planet (Earth), and why can't anyone buy one ? Richard was quite clear when he said that as long as the buyer passes a background check, anyone can buy one if they have the 300 large. I'm pretty sure they are only for sale in SA so anyone would have to import one, unless they live in SA that is. The real question is could it possibly be classed as a luxury good and attract that tax here ? Don't see much luxury.

My post was what we English call " tongue in cheek", in another words a joke. But to answer such a serious retort that seems unaware of that, the fact remains that, anyone can in theory buy one and without doubt there is no safer car anywhere. Personally I prefer my old motor, a Cayenne Turbo, a 3 ton SUV that thinks it's really a racing car.

SDM

• Like 1