Phuket beach clean-up '90 percent complete'

webfact

Phuket beach clean-up ‘90pc complete’
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1409058065_1-org.jpg
Lt Gen Walit: ' If [influential people] have been breaking the law, they will get their just desserts.'

PHUKET: -- Ninety per cent of the clearance of the island's beaches is now complete. The remaining 10 per cent is going through the courts.

This was one of the messages at a press conference staged on Saturday (August 23) at the Royal Thai Navy Third Fleet base on Cape Panwa.

It was a high-level meeting that included Phuket Governor Maitri Intisut, Vice-Governor Jamroen Thippayapongtada, heads of various local councils (including Thawee Tongchaem, currently facing a date with the court on charges related to taxi mafia activities in Kata-Karon), Airport Director Prateuang Sornkham, Damrongtham Centre director Prapan Kanprasang, Pol Maj Gen Paween Pongsirin (who arranged Mr Thawee’s arrest), and others.

Preparation was meticulous, with all officials required to leave phones and guns outside the room and chairs labeled with names so that everyone sat in the correct place.

Gov Maitri began the proceedings with a rundown of actions and progress so far.

“The main issues are regulation of taxis, which will start on September 1 with conversion of all irregular taxis to meter taxis; continuing clearing of beaches, which people are happy with, and which is 90 per cent complete (the other 10 per cent is going through the courts); continuing with our drive against narcotics; decreasing the road accident rate; and reducing garbage. We are also working on other land issues.

“Anyone who has comments or opinions can give them to the Damrongtham Centre.

“Next, we will check all structures to see whether the owners have been paying their taxes correctly.”

Asked how many people had been adversely affected by the beach clearances, he replied, “Cherng Talay, Patong, Karon and Kata are the main areas where people have been affected. For example, in the Patong area there are 62 sun bed operators, 192 masseuses, and 92 small vendors.”

He added “We will manage things so that they have an area to work in legally, but we have to check supply and demand so that these people can make a living.”

Army Lt Gen Walit Rojanaphakdee, dressed casually in white shirt and dark trousers, told the press, “For us, people come first, but everything must be done according to the rules.

Asked when the action on land grabbing would finally see action taken against “influential” figures, the general said, “It depends on the law. If they have been breaking the law, they will get their just desserts.

“We will solve the problem of influential people making money off the backs of the ordinary man in the street.”

Referring to theft of state land, he pointed out, “Forests are important. Without them, there are floods when it rains and water shortages when it does not rain.”

Asked how anyone could be sure that beaches would not again be invaded after they have been cleared – as they were after the tsunami of 10 years ago – he replied, “We are focusing on getting all officials to work according to the rules.

“They must be responsible in the way they perform their duty. Then we can focus on how we can get citizens to trust officials.”

Asked how many cases are expected to be tried by military courts, Gen Walit said, “Military courts will be used in some cases only. Generally the civilian court system will handle cases.”

At this point the press conference was closed.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-clean-up-%E2%80%9890pc-complete%E2%80%99-48056.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-08-27

Beaches are looking great and all the rubble appears to be being cleared. One does wonder whether there is one rule for some and one for others though.

At southern end of Bangtao beach all the local restaurants have been cleared but the Nikki beach club remains?

Here's a few gems that I got out of this:

with all officials required to leave phones and guns outside the room. I agree with the phones needing to be outside, but didn't think that the officials were carrying guns.

with conversion of all irregular taxis to meter taxis. By irregular, I think he means illegal, but doesn't want to use the word.

We will solve the problem of influential people making money off the backs of the ordinary man in the street. So does he mean that all of the local politicians will face justice?

We are focusing on getting all officials to work according to the rules.“They must be responsible in the way they perform their duty. Then we can focus on how we can get citizens to trust officials.” If past is any indication of the future, these same officials will be lining their pockets.

For an issue that wasn't touched upon, why aren't all legal/illegal/green plate/black plate taxis required to install meters and all of them forced to use them or severe penalties applied? This is a glaring omission and one that should be implemented while there is a chance.

After visit last weekend and live before for more than 11 years, Phuket is changed to a very crowded and very, very expansive island. When you visit for example Patong, as tourist and love sunbathing on the beach, you'll be disappointed because no umbrellas, no chairs, no drinks, nothing on the beach. you'll see only one thing: jetskis!!

As many people say before, it will lose many tourist this way.

And the prices are ridiculous, f.e. in Kamala we visit for lunch a very small and basic restaurant with 3 persons, order a small bottle water, one large bottle Leo, one pat thai goong, one kao pad, and one pad kapao, and have to pay 750 THB, unbelievable.

When not necassery, we don't visit Phuket anymore.

People crying about the loss of the beach chair/umbrellas don't realize that virtually all the TAT beach promotion photos show pristine beaches.

Tourists are coming expecting to see what is advertised, not some makeshift beach shanty town slum.

And by the way, at night, the beach dogs and drunks piss all over those chairs and tables. Enjoy.

People crying about the loss of the beach chair/umbrellas don't realize that virtually all the TAT beach promotion photos show pristine beaches.

Tourists are coming expecting to see what is advertised, not some makeshift beach shanty town slum.

And by the way, at night, the beach dogs and drunks piss all over those chairs and tables. Enjoy.

First hand experience?

And now the dogs piss on the towels in the sand while the owners are in the water.

Yea, what else is growing in that old beach chair fabric? Skin mites, pinworm eggs, viruses, bacteria, various molds and insects surviving on spilled beer, chicken and fermented fish.

I'm sure the piss kills allot of that stuff though.

They were plastic in most parts Phuket, not fabric. But I'm very happy to see them gone! Now I can walk or sit on the beach without some "local" acting like they own it. Good riddance!

• Like 1

And now the dogs piss on the towels in the sand while the owners are in the water.

Really? Is that the best you could come up with? Maybe your dog! Certainly not mine! She won't even piss in her own yard not alone on my towel! Although she does walk on it and leave sand at times. I've been over that for years, unlike you and your "poor" illegal beach vendor saga. Now I'm happy they are gone, as I've never wanted beach loungers in the first place on the King's land. The beach is as it should be. Sand, Sea and Sun as my old hometown's city logo says.

Really? Is that the best you could come up with? Maybe your dog! Certainly not mine! She won't even piss in her own yard not alone on my towel! Although she does walk on it and leave sand at times. I've been over that for years, unlike you and your "poor" illegal beach vendor saga. Now I'm happy they are gone, as I've never wanted beach loungers in the first place on the King's land. The beach is as it should be. Sand, Sea and Sun as my old hometown's city logo says.

The stray dogs that roam the beach near where I live piss on towels that are on the sand . Just an observation you don't need to argue with it...or maybe you do.

I really hope they can Clean out the jetskies.

Yes, why are the jetskis still operating on Patong?

Any why are there still supersized Taxi sala operating at two locations near Laguna, (but parking on the public street.)

Must be nice to have friends in high places.

The militarized elite are now 90% in control.

Edited by EBlair48

Really, the dogs piss on the towels.

So you agree there are dogs roaming the beach pissing all over the chairs then too.

I will revise my estimate then. Maybe there are 3 or 4 or more dogs pissing all over them every night.

That translates to 14,600 possible times a dog has pissed on the chairs over a ten year period.

A quik calculation and yuk...Possible 1,295 liters of dog piss on those nice chairs you like so much.

The stray dogs that roam the beach near where I live piss on towels that are on the sand . Just an observation you don't need to argue with it...or maybe you do.

Sorry? You said:" And now the dogs piss on the towels in the sand while the owners are in the water." I took that to mean the dog's owners, not the towel owners! LOL! Never heard of towel owners before today!

So you agree there are dogs roaming the beach pissing all over the chairs then too.

I will revise my estimate then. Maybe there are 3 or 4 or more dogs pissing all over them every night.

That translates to 14,600 possible times a dog has pissed on the chairs over a ten year period.

A quik calculation and yuk...Possible 1,295 liters of dog piss on those nice chairs you like so much.

The chairs never seemed to attract the pissing dogs. Besides there is the advantage of height. Maybe the pissed- on towel- owners (henceforth known as POTO) have dogs and the beach dogs are marking over the POTO dog's scent.

The chairs never seemed to attract the pissing dogs. Besides there is the advantage of height. Maybe the pissed- on towel- owners (henceforth known as POTO) have dogs and the beach dogs are marking over the POTO dog's scent.

"The chairs never seemed to attract the pissing dogs."

The dogs, the drunks and the rats are pissing on them all night long. Especially the rats.

Not a huge problem as the rat fleas don't carry bubonic plague, so it's not like the flea bites will kill you.

I would never sit on those beach chairs.

A discussion about stray dogs pissing on towels?

Guess the headline must be wrong..........

I must agree with you! WTH is with a couple of members on this thread? I have a dog, she's never thought about pissing on my towel. These two are way off topic at this point...

^^ Rat fleas do carry Bubonic plague.

Sorry? You said:" And now the dogs piss on the towels in the sand while the owners are in the water." I took that to mean the dog's owners, not the towel owners! LOL! Never heard of towel owners before today!

You are a party to the conversation as well, James. Two parties....

Edited by EBlair48

So the remaining 10 percent yet to be cleared are the most elaborate and environmentally hazardous.

As I have posted many times before, let me know when Pullman has been bulldozed.

And where does this 10 percent figure come from. The remaining encroachers such as Pullman, Trisara, have a total land area far exceeding that all ready cleared.

So 90 percent of the workaday punter have been moved on. But the remaining 10 percent of the mega rich control huge landholding in the national park... Sounds about right.

So the remaining 10 percent yet to be cleared are the most elaborate and environmentally hazardous.

As I have posted many times before, let me know when Pullman has been bulldozed.

And where does this 10 percent figure come from. The remaining encroachers such as Pullman, Trisara, have a total land area far exceeding that all ready cleared.

So 90 percent of the workaday punter have been moved on. But the remaining 10 percent of the mega rich control huge landholding in the national park... Sounds about right.

Double standards. It makes perfect sense, the wealthy/connected keep their beach projects.

Isn't that the root of the problems? The rich have their heads so far up their backside they think they are taking good care of the poor...

Remember when Abasit held a forum on double standards and inequality?

A bunch of white Chinese Thai politicians discussing the "imaginary" issue of double standards while the dark skinned servants actually crawled on their knees to serve them tea.

You can't make this stuff up.

• Like 1

Yep, it's all about classes.

I really hope they can Clean out the jetskies.

The Jet Skis pay the right people. No chance they will face eviction.The small fry beach vendors made a mistake trusting the Or Bor Tors, who are now on the brown end of the governmental stick.

Edited by EBlair48