Shock and anger over increasing cases of animal cruelty in Thailand

webfact

We gave away two puppies to two "loving" families.

The first one was apparently allowed to roam the streets from a very early age. She became pregnant and almost died giving birth. A couple of months later she was hit and killed on the road.

The second one was apparently not cared for at-all...I'm told she died from a Flea Infestation a few weeks ago.

Are these examples of "Thainess"? I hope not but our dog won't be having any more puppies, so we won't be giving any more to "Loving Thai families."

Oh please. It has nothing to do with Thai-ness. It has to with human nature! They think puppies are cute until they find out how much care they require. It's the same in any country. You don't think animals are abandoned outside of Thailand.

TV members love every opportunity to spite Thais so I wonder why they are still here....

For gods sake--it is NOT the same in any country---backward thinking ones maybe. Do you think it is only TVF members who see the outrage here.

Suppose jet ski--double pricing-corruption-law and order- it is not being a Thai hater it is to do with caring, animals-kids-tourists-forests-beaches- here has it's downsides, we speak about them it is a natural gift we have. Because they happen does not mean we should leave, Thai upbringing or the lack of it is the problem with Thailand's caring.

I see then it's white man's burden to educate the barbaric savage Thais. Just like how the civilized Americans tamed the Indians.

Good luck to you.

OTT post, we are on topic here about Thai cruelty to animals and what can be done to pressurize the authorities, Thais have to do that ,we are merely observers. Most understand it is a care-problem here among a hundred subjects, how UK went about it ?? tens of years of awareness and pressure from rights groups etc.

• Like 1

The first one was apparently allowed to roam the streets from a very early age. She became pregnant and almost died giving birth. A couple of months later she was hit and killed on the road.

The second one was apparently not cared for at-all...I'm told she died from a Flea Infestation a few weeks ago.

Are these examples of "Thainess"? I hope not but our dog won't be having any more puppies, so we won't be giving any more to "Loving Thai families."

Oh please. It has nothing to do with Thai-ness. It has to with human nature! They think puppies are cute until they find out how much care they require. It's the same in any country. You don't think animals are abandoned outside of Thailand.

TV members love every opportunity to spite Thais so I wonder why they are still here....

For gods sake--it is NOT the same in any country---backward thinking ones maybe. Do you think it is only TVF members who see the outrage here.

Suppose jet ski--double pricing-corruption-law and order- it is not being a Thai hater it is to do with caring, animals-kids-tourists-forests-beaches- here has it's downsides, we speak about them it is a natural gift we have. Because they happen does not mean we should leave, Thai upbringing or the lack of it is the problem with Thailand's caring.

I see then it's white man's burden to educate the barbaric savage Thais. Just like how the civilized Americans tamed the Indians.

Good luck to you.

I do not need the good luck, animals etc here need that.

Very very sad, but to be honest it's not just confided to Thailand, this is a world problem.....

Animal Cruelty exists everywhere....... Sad but true....

Maybe, maybe, but what a marvelous subject for the Thai-bashing community , so please don't spoil their pleasure with your out of place considerations whistling.gifPffffff

Oh please. It has nothing to do with Thai-ness. It has to with human nature! They think puppies are cute until they find out how much care they require. It's the same in any country. You don't think pets are abandoned outside of Thailand.

its a thai forum..what do you expect brains...do you just turn the other cheek when something bad is happening over here...

dogs can be lovely and dangerous. therefore rules should exist to keep all creatures fine. cruelty is another thing. as there are no rules in Thailand, i can understand, that people help themselves to protect them from dangerous dogs. many soi dogs protect their area to survive. does this mean humans can not legal pass without fears??

I will happily return the favor to those I see mistreating animals.

A whole 1000 baht fine, huh? Wow.

You don't eat them then that's good. This country needs a mass culling of soi dogs, it's no more cruel than the slaughter for meat that goes on every single day. Soi dogs are an enormous problem, some might not be aware of it living in the areas they do but around us there must be 100's within a mile. Disease ridden, noisy, sitting all over roads and around corners, barking through the night and attacking kids, get rid of I say.

'Torturing or killing an animal without a sound reason is punishable by a maximum fine of 1,000 baht'

Does not apply to soi dogs anyway, getting them away is a sound reason

Edited by jacky54
  • Like 1

You don't eat them then that's good. This country needs a mass culling of soi dogs, it's no more cruel than the slaughter for meat that goes on every single day. Soi dogs are an enormous problem, some might not be aware of it living in the areas they do but around us there must be 100's within a mile. Disease ridden, noisy, sitting all over roads and around corners, barking through the night and attacking kids, get rid of I say.

'Torturing or killing an animal without a sound reason is punishable by a maximum fine of 1,000 baht'

good god I can't believe your self-righteous attitude.

Even the Most Important Person in Thailand has genuine compassion for these lovely animals and has real affection for those he has adopted

Edited by Asiantravel

Even the Most Important Person in Thailand has genuine compassion for these lovely animals and has real affection for those he has adopted

Righteousness has nothing to do with it it's just common sense and there is nothing lovely about a flea ridden bag of bones that's a health danger, a noise pest and a traffic hazzard. I expect you are another 'animal lover' that eats them on a daily basis. I have just been out and counted 9 nasty dogs at the entrance to out estate never mind the ones wandering about shitting all over the grass and roads. Unfortunately people see prolonging the life of these creatures and letting them breed more misery into the world as 'compassion' I don't see it that way.

• Like 2

Righteousness has nothing to do with it it's just common sense and there is nothing lovely about a flea ridden bag of bones that's a health danger, a noise pest and a traffic hazzard. I expect you are another 'animal lover' that eats them on a daily basis. I have just been out and counted 9 nasty dogs at the entrance to out estate never mind the ones wandering about shitting all over the grass and roads. Unfortunately people see prolonging the life of these creatures and letting them breed more misery into the world as 'compassion' I don't see it that way.

Problem 1. these are unwanted Thai persons dogs, 2. I don't have time to go out and start counting dogs unless I am obsessed with the problem, and I bet they were around before you moved in--so why move in ?? get your misses to petition the local authorities about the problem, or are you just going to cull them.

I understand your concern, but if local authorities MADE persons with dogs to fence off their garden would be a help, free sterilizing also would help, a set up like RSPCA would also help. Money for m/cycles/led TVs/internet mobiles/drink smokes/ pleasures ?? a dog to most Thais are a liability, after it is passed the puppy stage.

Soi dogs are rarely unwanted Thai persons dogs, they are born on the street mostly. No they were not here before the estate as it was built in the middle of nowhere on a shrimp farm. There were no soi dogs here two years ago when the place was built, they came later along with the rats and cockroaches. Sterilisation is always mooted but none is willing to pay for it, putting them down is the best solution, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Soi dogs are rarely unwanted Thai persons dogs, they are born on the street mostly. No they were not here before the estate as it was built in the middle of nowhere on a shrimp farm. There were no soi dogs here two years ago when the place was built, they came later along with the rats and cockroaches. Sterilisation is always mooted but none is willing to pay for it, putting them down is the best solution, unfortunately.

Hey you are overrun with roaches, and rats ?? dogs are there for the self same reason the rats and roaches, dirty trash, says a lot for your neighbours.

If you look more close you will have snakes, where there are rats there are snakes. Who on earth is throwing dirty food around ???

For the unhealthy and old dogs, I agree with you.

Remember they bred on the streets, but before that they were a Thai pet.

Cockroaches show up in the cleanest places, never seen a snake though. Not dealing with the soi dog problem just resigns Thailand to a third world, can't solve the simplest problem kind of a country, do you think this could happen in Singapore or HK?

• Like 2

Hey you are overrun with roaches, and rats ?? dogs are there for the self same reason the rats and roaches, dirty trash, says a lot for your neighbours.

If you look more close you will have snakes, where there are rats there are snakes. Who on earth is throwing dirty food around ???

For the unhealthy and old dogs, I agree with you.

Remember they bred on the streets, but before that they were a Thai pet.

You got that right.... Once the cuteness of the puppy wears off, they abandon them.

Thai Buddhists don't really give a damn about animals. Thailand has its own flavor of Buddhism which has really nothing to do with Buddhism at all. I do like to forest monks which takes things more seriously and money is not as important as the local wats in the villages. Those monks in the forest respect animals but for the average Thai animals are either a problem or delicious to most Thais.

whistling.gif

At least they are not cruel/kill each other intentionally

------------------

That is a myth. Animals will attack and kill others of their own species and other species routinely.

Animals that live in a "pack" or other social group have a hierarchy of importance n that group.

Even wild dogs, living in a pack in the wild, will do this.

Lower ranking members of that group will often attack and even kill ageing higher ranking members of that group in order to take their place in the rank system within the group.

A male lion who takes over as the Pride leader in a Lion Pride will routinely kill all other male cubs fathered by the old Pride leader. This is so that he can mate with the females of the Pride, and sire his children to insure his genes are the ones who survive in his Pride,

In many animal societies the rule is this: The strongest survive and father others, those that are not the strongest are eliminated by the stronger.

It may sound cruel, but it is nature's way of weeding out the sub-standard individuals.

In the wild, life is harsh in the pack, and when times get tough there is no room for pity for those individuals who can't hold their own weight in the pack.

Can somebody tell me if there is a kind of rspca in Thailand,ive lived here a long time but never looked into it.theres a guy across the road from me had a dog chained up for a long time now and i want to do something about it,my thai wife wont talk about it neither will my neighbors,but i think its terrible the way the dogs treated,i can speak some thai,but the guy wont talk to me,hes actually got mental health problems and is sort of middle class,hence nobody will say anything.

im in chaing mai if any nos or anything

'Torturing ... an animal without a sound reason ...?' '... punishable by a ... fine of [the usual farcical] Bt1,000.

The only thing farcical here is the English reading comprehension skills of some of the board members. How could three of you possibly interpret that sentence (which you cut up to mean something it doesn't) to mean that there is such a thing as torturing an animal for good reason? The "sound reason" applies the the "killing", i.e. euthanasia. Some people are just determined to find a reason to denigrate Thailand even where there is none. Unbelievable.

In Texas........torturing or killing an animal is punishable with a fine of up to $10,000 and/or a jail sentence between 180 days to 2 years.

In Thailand.....torturing or killing an animal without a sound reason is punishable by a maximum fine of Bt1,000 ($31).

wacko.png wacko.png

Very very sad, but to be honest it's not just confided to Thailand, this is a world problem.....

Animal Cruelty exists everywhere....... Sad but true....

It is the scale of cruelty we are talking about though, we can give this answer Quote "everywhere" ten years from now as this is and always be true---UK has very strict laws concerning animals but on occasions were hear about cases.

So it is not confined to Thailand, I would think most of Thai neighbours have the same non caring attitude in most cases. Backward counties tend to have more problems than most, Thailand is not so backward in many things but caring for kids forests-animals-pollution--CARING is the word Thailand has to address.

It is a world thing, im in the Netherlands for a holliday and read about it too. Tortured horses ect, and just like in Thailand there is social outrage about it. There might be more trouble here but there are plenty of Thais that care the social outrage is proof of that.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

Mahatma Gandhi

well at least the old perv did not eat them, unlike the many 'animal lovers' on here who scoff them down every day, then get all teary about a few scabby dogs being got rid of.

Edited by jacky54

• 2 weeks later...

I am very glad that the people of Thailand, whether they be Thai National, Tourist/Visitor, or Ex-Pat Residents like myself, are angered over "increasing cases of animal cruelty" here. But, I wonder....where are all these people during this time of crisis for at least 6 - 8 dolphins (and 2 South American Fur Seals) which are destined for the Phuket dolphinarium? A consortium of Russians have built what they propose to call the Nemo Dolphinarium in Chalong, Phuket. - See the attached photos for a better understanding as to what sort of "home" these people are proposing for these dolphins....FIVE of which have been confirmed as coming from Taiji, Japan, where THE COVE documentary was filmed. If you have not yet seen this documentary, I would recommend that you do so, although in an attached video here, I do describe, in as accurate detail as possible, what occurs in that place of horror.

Caution : Any viewer of The Cove is warned that some of the footage may be disturbing. And some of the verbal descriptions given in my video may be found by the listener to be disturbing!

If you check your dictionary for the definitions of SLAVE, SERVITUDE and ONE, I believe that you will agree with me that the "fishermen" of Taiji, Japan while murdering and kidnapping the dolphins, are not "fisherman, but rather are SLAVERS, dolphin SLAVERS no different than the human SLAVERS of old who would raid villages and kidnap the ones which they knew would bring the highest price on the 'block'! A SLAVE TRADER, according to the dictionary is anyone who is "involved in the business of procuring, transporting, and selling slaves, esp. the bringing of slaves to Thailand."

Now, I altered the words in that quote slightly....the original dictionary version states "involved in..........................black Africans to America", but I think a reasonable person would not limit that definition to preculde SLAVES of any nature being brought to "ANYWHERE".

If the Phuket dolphinarium, which is really nothing more than a small prison cell, is allowed to bring in these SLAVES, I believe that this will bring the province of Phuket and the country of Thaland, deep shame and dishonour. For any such allowance will, first of all identify them as SLAVE TRADERS. (** Remember, "involved in the business of .....................bringing of slaves to Thailand" ) Harsh words truly, but consider what happened and will happen if permission for those SLAVES to be brought in and the prison to open is given. Fees are charged for any applications to have items imported into Thailand; licencing fees are charged for operating businesses and taxes are levied, property and income taxes. So the governments (Phuket & Thailand) will be taking money from a group of SLAVE TRADERS and in the process allowing (involved in) the bringing in of those dolphin slaves. Secondly, any such allowance will put the stamp of LIE to any claim that the City of Phuket and the country of Thailand, are NOT, in fact, proponents of the Prevention from cruelty and Protection of Animals.

For a full understanding of the tie between Taiji, Japan and the proposed Phuket dolphinarium, I invite the reader to view " NIGHTMARE IN TAIJI and ITS ASSOCIATION WITH PHUKET " at

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=866680253344986&set=vb.100000090578476&type=2&theater

I will point out that for reasons unknown to me, at the very precise second that I state that 5 of the dolphins have been confirmed to be sourced from Taiji, Japan, my voice is electronically garbled or overwritten!! I reviewed the original video file on my computer, found no such problem, re-posted the video and a repeat of the garbling was found to have occurred. So, for the record, the bill of lading for the shipment of a total of 8 dolphins and 2 South American Fur Seals to the Phuket dolphinarium, clearly states that 5 of these 8 were obtained as the result of Wild Captures in Taiji, Japan!!

The reader may view THE COVE at

http://cosmos-documentaries.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-cove-documentary-film.html

The only changes from what you see in the Cove are that they now use a "new method" of killing which I describe in my video AND they do this under a cloak of thousands of square yards of tarpaulins in an effort to prevent the world from seeing these killings!!

I, too, wish for an end to the cruelty being inflicted on any animal. By putting a stop to the Phuket dolphinarium, WE CAN make a difference TODAY!! Sign the petiition at https://www.change.org/p/phuket-tourism-board-stop-the-nemo-dolphinarium-in-phuket-thailand

Contact he Office of Tourism Development Service Standards Development Section Ministry of Tourism and Sports National Stadium, Rama I Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand Tel: +66 (0) 2219 4010 Fax: +66 (0) 2216 6906 E-mail: [email protected] and let them know that this place should NOT be allowed to open!

post-190944-0-46604200-1410659144_thumb.

post-190944-0-07075500-1410659212_thumb.

post-190944-0-19938600-1410659243_thumb.