Your Opinion on our visa status / case - UK Settlement

I already know a thing or 2 about getting a UK tourist visa and a UK settlement visa for a Thai. I will start off noting that I achieved getting a UK settlement visa for my ex Thai wife in 2008 granted on first attempt by information posted on this forum. We met in 2007, married in 2008 and by the end of the year she was with me in the UK. We were divorced by mid 2009 as she was only in it for her perception of how much money she could make out of me. I was 23 at the time on quite a low salary (but still above the threshold) so didn’t take long to bleed me dry and max out the credit card / overdraft. Upon her final financial demand when there was literally no more access to funds, she threw a fit and i borrowed money from my parents to buy her a ticket that very afternoon back to Thailand. It was a clean divorce, as she knew she'd made a mistake thinking i'd be a cash cow, a straight piece of paperwork at the ampur. There were no payments out of it which leads me to believe she had someone lined up ready to take on the challenge. Either way, good riddance.

Weeks after the split in 2009 I took a job offer abroad which saw my salary increase 3 fold and I just turned 25. I worked this job for 2 years before taking on another roll in Indonesia for 3 years. I met a lovely girl in early 2012, beautiful, university student, nice family, etc. after 3 months being together I asked her to move in with me. Late 2012 after living together for 6 months we applied for a UK tourist visa so she could come to London for 3 weeks over Xmas/new year (the rules / requirements are exactly the same for an Indonesian as they are for a Thai), meet my family. It was a mix of staying with my parents and staying in 5 star hotels, she was granted it first time. My family really liked her and she fitted in instantly getting involved in the Christmas spirit and all that. She then came back to the UK with me on a business trip for 3 days in February 2013 as the visa was still valid.

In July my job in Indonesia was coming to an end and I thought I would start work in the UK again after 5 years away, and that we would test living in the UK for a while. I applied for a UK visit visa for her again and it was granted, we were in the UK living with my parents for 4 months while the mortgage on my new apartment was coming through. I subsequently got a job offer in Finland for a ridiculous sum of money which I could not refuse, starting in January 2014. I handed in my notice in London, my partner went back to Indonesia and I followed her shortly after and we had a few weeks break. The plan was that I would get her a 6 month visit visa to the UK and the longest possible Schengen visit visa so we could hop back and forth between Finland and the UK for 6 months while we decided what to do. While we were mid-processing the UK visa, after 6 weeks of being in Finland I handed in my notice as I could not stand the cold and misery of living there, and would not inflict this on my partner. The money could never be high enough to make me want to stay there any longer than I had to.

My partners UK Visit visa was granted during this time so at the end of March 2014 she hopped onto a plane and came back to London. Upon arrival at the airport the immigration officer in Heathrow made her wait for about 10 minutes after going through her passport. She stamped her in but with a different code than usual, and said to her “I’m afraid I’m stamping you in as a single entry, you will not be allowed to return on this visa or any other tourist visa. If you want to come back to the UK after this trip you will need to come on a different visa like a marriage or a study visa, but I will let you in this time”. To be honest upon hearing this I was a bit disappointed as it should be a multi entry, but still thankful she managed to get in, considering how difficult it is these days to qualify.

We both worked on my apartment together painting and decorating, as I decided to take a few months off before moving onto the next job whatever that may be as I still had plenty of savings left. Shortly after in April we decided get married as we had already decided we were going to start trying for a baby before the end of the year and settle down in the UK. Getting married in Indoneisa is a no-go as it would mean id have to convert to Islam for it to be legal, I think that is against our human rights so we got married in the UK. We gave notice, she has letters addressed to our apartment so that is her proof of address. We got married on the 25th of May 2014 in London and have since been on honeymoon travelling around Asia (our last backpacking trip before we have kids when we’re done!).

Summary:

I am 29 British, she is 27 Indonesian. We have been in a relationship for 2.5 years living together, and are legally married in the UK, she has no existing visa for the UK so she cannot enter but has had 3 successful UK Visit visas issued, none refused. I own my own apartment in South London, 2 bedroom, by Christmas time I will have limited savings but I should have employment of £50,000+ GBP PA minimum. She will be unemployed in Indonesia, and a graduate BSc in Marketing. She will be living in an apartment in Indoneisa, rented. She has approximately $2,000 in savings and $5,000 of savings tied up in bonds as she sold her car, and I will be supporting her for her stay in Indonesia. The $2,000 will be to pay for the settlement visa. Her fathers side of the family are millionaires but they do not really support our relationship and wont help on the financial side, and why should they. Her mother has a land and property empire but again she wont help either as she’s tight. I’m her husband and it’s my job to deal with these things anyway. We have 7 weeks of travelling left, 1 week Nepal, 5 weeks in India and 1 week in Dubai before I fly back to London and she flies back to Jakarta. The date we return to our home countries is the 18th of October.

My plan is to get a job as soon as I come back, which should take up to 4 to 8 weeks, I can get on a contract straight away would but would prefer a permanent position to satisfy the ECO. We have prepared some of the docs in the interim before going on our travels, and we have most of it nailed from our extensive Visit Visa applications, it’ll just be a case of filling the blanks upon return.

My only issue is that we cannot stand to be apart for more than a few weeks, being apart for more than 2 months will be the longest we’ve been apart so far. I understand it will be a test of endurance. If I can nail a job by end of November I will take some leave in January and visit her to complete the application. Now one of the requirements is I must show 6 months salary slips. Chances are by end of January 2015 I’ll only have 3 months at best, if we wish to apply by end Jan/early Feb. Given that it is now taking 3 months to process a Settlement visa (ridiculous as my previous Thai wife only took 3 weeks in 2008), is it possible we can apply in February showing 3 months salary slips, and then by the time the 3 months processing time is up I can provide the balance 3 months? Or is this not an option. We CANNOT wait 6 full months for salary slips and then apply, a total of 1 month finding a job, 6 months doing it, and 3 months waiting, which means she wont receive the visa until September 2015! That is quite unacceptable as we cant be apart for that long, and costly (having to rent somewhere for her for 10 months).

• Can I apply with 3 months salary slips, a fixed contract, historical fixed contracts, letter from employer etc and a promise in the form of a letter to supply the balance 3 months I will submit upon final application review? I need to know as I cannot afford the rejection.

If the answer is no, then as a last resort, does the ambassador have authority to grant visas? My wife knows the ambassador and I’ve worked with him before but I have never asked any help for anything related to our visas before, as I know we qualify and I know how to prepare the visa correctly.

to Caviat - Please note that the process for the Indonesian Settlement to the UK visa is exactly the same as it is for the Thai, give or take, so please answer as if you were answering a question based on a relationship in Thailand, do not concern yourself she is Indonesian. I am not asking on the Indonesian expat forum as they have very limited knowledge on the subject, as they are mostly expats married to western women or the western women themselves, and or teachers with below $1000 per month salaries with no interest on settlement visas etc. You guys are the KINGS of visas

I’d like to know your thoughts on the issue of the salary slips. Thank you

• Like 1

To answer your questions :

• Can I apply with 3 months salary slips, a fixed contract, historical fixed contracts, letter from employer etc and a promise in the form of a letter to supply the balance 3 months I will submit upon final application review? I need to know as I cannot afford the rejection.

No, you can't. The requirements are exactly that - requirements. You cannot promise to submit the required documents at a later stage. The ECO has no discretion in this matter. If the required documents are not submitted, then the application will be refused. No exceptions. If you cannot afford for the visa to be rejected, then don't apply with 3 months of wage slips.

If the answer is no, then as a last resort, does the ambassador have authority to grant visas? My wife knows the ambassador and I’ve worked with him before but I have never asked any help for anything related to our visas before, as I know we qualify and I know how to prepare the visa correctly.

There is no last resort. No ambassador has no authority to grant a visa. The FCO ( for whom the Ambassador works) is a different department to the UKVI ( who deal with visas). The Ambassador may have some influence where there is a political need, but he almost certainly will not get involved in visa requirements for spouses to the UK. I'm assuming you mean the British Ambassador to Thailand, but you could be talking about any ambassador, I guess

As above. You need a minimum of 6 months evidence of employment ( or sufficient savings), including the wage slips.

• Like 1

I must say that it is refreshing to see someone clearly and thoroughly explain their situation.

It sounds like your 3 months + 3 months payslip idea won't fly as advised by TVE. So your Sept 2015 date of getting your wife to the UK may regrettably be the case.

The only thing I can think of is that you seem to be very mobile with your employment - working in a number of different countries. Have you thought of getting a job in the EU and bringing your wife there on an immediate free visa and thence to the UK? It is known as the Surinder Singh route and there are a number of threads on this in this forum.

Btw, I may be wrong but I thought foreigners could not marry in the UK if they are here on a visit visa. I stand to be corrected.

Btw, I may be wrong but I thought foreigners could not marry in the UK if they are here on a visit visa. I stand to be corrected.

It used to be that visitors to the UK could not marry unless

• they obtained a marriage visit visa before travelling or
  • they obtained a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office or
  • they married in the Church of England.

As marriages in the Church of England were exempt from the rules, this was deemed discriminatory. As various constitutional reasons meant making the C of E lose it's exemption was extremely difficult and would have taken up far too much Parliamentary time, the rules were changed so that any visitor to the UK can now marry anywhere which can legally conduct marriages, such as a registry office, without first obtaining a CoA.

However, if the main purpose of visiting the UK is to marry, then a marriage visit visa rather than a general one should be applied for.

• Like 1

To answer your questions :

No, you can't. The requirements are exactly that - requirements. You cannot promise to submit the required documents at a later stage. The ECO has no discretion in this matter. If the required documents are not submitted, then the application will be refused. No exceptions. If you cannot afford for the visa to be rejected, then don't apply with 3 months of wage slips.

There is no last resort. No ambassador has no authority to grant a visa. The FCO ( for whom the Ambassador works) is a different department to the UKVI ( who deal with visas). The Ambassador may have some influence where there is a political need, but he almost certainly will not get involved in visa requirements for spouses to the UK. I'm assuming you mean the British Ambassador to Thailand, but you could be talking about any ambassador, I guess

As above. You need a minimum of 6 months evidence of employment ( or sufficient savings), including the wage slips.

Thanks for the swift response.

Sad to hear about them being so rigid in regards to the salary slips. After spending a decent amount of time in the UK now she is pretty angry how difficult it is for her to get a visa, considering the amount of romanians and albanians hanging around the streets and trying to cheat tourists on westminster bridge, indian taxi drivers who can barely speak english, etc etc.

Regarding the ambassador, i shall try not to waste his time then or make him feel guilty, although i may still write a letter anyway (just in case).

How about a plan B. The current lump sum required in cash in the bank to sponsor a settlement visa is still £66,000 GBP.. I'll still have aprox £10,000 in savings, I could sell my car and vintage guitars for about £30,000+, I will ask the mrs to withdraw her bonds and wire to me (£3,000), i should have no issue borrowing £25,000 from any bank in London once i've got a perm contract sorted, So thats £68,000 GBP right there in cash. I can max out the credit card and borrow money from parents too to make an even bigger number. I know i'm meant to declare the £25,000 loan as a dept in the application, but i wont. and i'll pay it back (with all the other loans) immediately after the visa is granted.

Is this an option? i know on a bank statement all of those transactions going into the account in a short period may (will) raise concerns. How nosey are they with this? or do they just want to see a real figure. If it is a possibility i can get the wheels in motion now while i'm travelling. I only just thought about it as an option at dinner today. its a shame i bought my flat as i had way over the requirement only 9 months ago. So the fact that i have property and didn't keep the cash puts me in a worse position than someone sitting on the cash and just renting out a place.

would appreciate your thoughts

I must say that it is refreshing to see someone clearly and thoroughly explain their situation.

It sounds like your 3 months + 3 months payslip idea won't fly as advised by TVE. So your Sept 2015 date of getting your wife to the UK may regrettably be the case.

The only thing I can think of is that you seem to be very mobile with your employment - working in a number of different countries. Have you thought of getting a job in the EU and bringing your wife there on an immediate free visa and thence to the UK? It is known as the Surinder Singh route and there are a number of threads on this in this forum.

it may be an option, but i doubt it. my line of work usually leads to crap-hole countries, its quite rare to get a gig in a place like finland, but it was in fact in the arse end of nowhere x10 worse than if it were in phnom phen for example.. its an interesting idea but logistically very complicated. i'd rather either stay in asia or go back to london.

It used to be that visitors to the UK could not marry unless

• they obtained a marriage visit visa before travelling or
  • they obtained a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office or
  • they married in the Church of England.

As marriages in the Church of England were exempt from the rules, this was deemed discriminatory. As various constitutional reasons meant making the C of E lose it's exemption was extremely difficult and would have taken up far too much Parliamentary time, the rules were changed so that any visitor to the UK can now marry anywhere which can legally conduct marriages, such as a registry office, without first obtaining a CoA.

However, if the main purpose of visiting the UK is to marry, then a marriage visit visa rather than a general one should be applied for.

the main purpose of her visiting the UK on the last visa was just so we could continue our relationship and not be apart. we just lived together as normal although i was not working and we were just decorating the apartment. once we discovered that you could in fact marry in the UK regardless of what visa you are on (a few calls around the registry offices confirmed this to be the case) we jumped in straight away and took advantage. marrying in Indonesia is a nightmare, and a lot of indonesians now apparently go to london to get married if they are of differing faiths. it was her sisters idea, as she reads the gossip magazine about indonesian actors/actresses going to london to get married. if they can do it, why not us?! and we did, it was very easy, even with my previous thai divorce. we would have gotten a marriage visit visa but considering we had the opertunity then and there, what would be the point in going back to indonesia to process this considering all of the requirements and time scales!

OP ... I can't provide any assistance to your question ... but I do say ... I really enjoyed reading your OP.

I wish you and your Beau the best.

Come back to the Family Forum one day and show some photos of the future bub ... just make sure to PM me so that I don't miss seeing them.

• Like 2

I know i'm meant to declare the £25,000 loan as a dept in the application, but i wont. and i'll pay it back (with all the other loans) immediately after the visa is granted.

Is this an option? i know on a bank statement all of those transactions going into the account in a short period may (will) raise concerns. How nosey are they with this?

They are very, as you put it, nosey about this.

The money must have been in your name, your wife's name, in both your names or any combination of these for at least 6 months prior to the application.

You will have to provide the specified evidence that this is the case.

You will have to sign a declaration stating where the money came from.

Loans are not acceptable, though gifts are.

See Section 7 of the financial requirement.

If you use loans to meet the financial requirement and lie about it and the ECO's find out, not only will her visa be refused but she could be deemed to have attempted to obtain a visa by deception and be banned from entering the UK in any capacity for life.

From your OP it seems to me that by May next year you will be able to meet the financial requirement through income and provide the necessary evidence. I counsel patience and applying in May rather than applying in February and attempting to deceive the ECO and UKVI.

Would you rather be apart for three months or for life?

Edited by 7by7

The immigration rules have been designed to stop people doing exactly what you are trying to do, that is, trying to find a way around them. Why don't you just find a job, as you have suggested, and take your wife with you to the UK as a visitor for some, or all, of the time you are in the UK meeting the requirement ( with a maximum of 6 months as a visitor, of course). We have had several successful applications with similar circumstances to yours.

Thanks for the replies

Thaivisaexpress; as I said in the OP, she's already had 3 visit visas issued in the last 2.5 years. The last time she came in (march 2014 to may 2014) the lady at the immigration counter said she's not allowed back in the UK unless on a marriage visa or study visa. All her visas have been 6 month multi entry and she's used a couple a weeks to a couple of months out of them at a time. The last multi entry was stamped differently than the others meaning although it had 4 months validity left, she could not return on it (and as I noted, she would not be allowed to return on another tourist visa (immigration officer words). This happened actually to my friends American girlfriend who was visiting him after her study visa expired, so I give her (immigration officer) the benefit of the doubt

7by7; as a long time user of British embassies to get my ex wife followed by my gf and now my current wife, I know the rules and how they work, but it doesn't make me throw out curve balls for the hell of it, such as this; isn't it against our human rights (mine?) that i should be kept away from my wife while i reside in the UK for 10 months trying to collect 6 months salary slips and then waiting 3+ months for an answer? As they are making our choices non existent because of this 1 item. What about If she gets pregnant before the end of our trip? Is she meant to stay in Indonesia by herself for 10 months while I collect salary slips, only visiting every 2 months for a week at a time, as to not lose my job and the financial requirement for the poxy visa? If she's pregnant isn't there some kind of emergency route to go down? As the kid inside is half British at least. 10 months apart wth a few visits.. I doubt she will tolerate this and I've got to think of something else.

I've been working since 15 and seems like after 15 years of graft I'm being penalised for taking a few months off., obviously I've never used the dole or even the hospitals, my company has had me in private medical care for the last 8 years so clearly me or my wife will not and have never used public funds and all that jazz. I'm happy to go private for her to have her baby in the UK, it's not a big deal (probably better!) I can demonstrate this and show her bupa gold and international SOS Clinique insurance.

Edited by Grindting

@Grindting, you're in danger of shooting the messengers here, you asked for a view regarding your position and now seem to be arguing when members give that view.

As you say you are a long time user of British Embassies and you know how they work, so you will know that they will throw the human rights card right back at you, not us, them. They may well argue that if you don't comply with current Immigration Legislation they are not denying your human right to be together as you could just as easily live together in Thailand, again this is what they may argue, not me.

They might also argue that your wife doesn't have to stay on her own in Indonesia, she could wait in Thailand, like many others in her position do, whilst you comply with the legislation.

Thaivisaexpress; as I said in the OP, she's already had 3 visit visas issued in the last 2.5 years. The last time she came in (march 2014 to may 2014) the lady at the immigration counter said she's not allowed back in the UK unless on a marriage visa or study visa. All her visas have been 6 month multi entry and she's used a couple a weeks to a couple of months out of them at a time. The last multi entry was stamped differently than the others meaning although it had 4 months validity left, she could not return on it (and as I noted, she would not be allowed to return on another tourist visa (immigration officer words). This happened actually to my friends American girlfriend who was visiting him after her study visa expired, so I give her (immigration officer) the benefit of the doubt

Understood, but it doesn't actually matter how many UK visas your girlfriend has been issued in the past 2.5 years, it depends on how much time she has spent in the UK during that time. It may be that she is in fact able to make a good case for accompanying you to the UK, despite what the immigration officer told her last time she arrived. As I said, we have had some success in such applications.

@Grindting, you're in danger of shooting the messengers here, you asked for a view regarding your position and now seem to be arguing when members give that view.

As you say you are a long time user of British Embassies and you know how they work, so you will know that they will throw the human rights card right back at you, not us, them. They may well argue that if you don't comply with current Immigration Legislation they are not denying your human right to be together as you could just as easily live together in Thailand, again this is what they may argue, not me.

They might also argue that your wife doesn't have to stay on her own in Indonesia, she could wait in Thailand, like many others in her position do, whilst you comply with the legislation.

I wasn't arguing, i was pointing out a fact, such as i've already said she's not allowed back in the UK on a visit visa according to the immigration officer at heathrow that gave her a weird stamp on her last visa (voiding it of multi entry validity)

and whats this about waiting in Thailand? She's not thai

Edited by Grindting

Understood, but it doesn't actually matter how many UK visas your girlfriend has been issued in the past 2.5 years, it depends on how much time she has spent in the UK during that time. It may be that she is in fact able to make a good case for accompanying you to the UK, despite what the immigration officer told her last time she arrived. As I said, we have had some success in such applications.

It is a tough one, and i'd be worried she'd get refused at heathrow. They'd give her a visa in the embassy given her (our) circumstances, no doubt. and emirates would let her on the plane. But the immigration in heathrow might send her packing

What are the rules regarding her being refused entry at the door? i'd be waiting a few meters on the other side, would they even let me see her or would she be put in some kind of cell? serious question

another quick one: i always seemed to remember providing 6 months salary slips and bank statements as her sponsor for the visit visa. What is different here?

Edited by Grindting

It is a tough one, and i'd be worried she'd get refused at heathrow. They'd give her a visa in the embassy given her (our) circumstances, no doubt. and emirates would let her on the plane. But the immigration in heathrow might send her packing

What are the rules regarding her being refused entry at the door? i'd be waiting a few meters on the other side, would they even let me see her or would she be put in some kind of cell? serious question

another quick one: i always seemed to remember providing 6 months salary slips and bank statements as her sponsor for the visit visa. What is different here?

The Border Force Officer cannot, or at least shouldn't, refuse landing on a whim, and in any case a refusal of a person with entry clearance should, I believe, be referred to a manager.

The Border Force Officer, and their manager, would need to be satisfied that there had been a material change in circumstances since the visa was applied for, that the visa was applied for fraudulently or, the catch all, that she wasn't a genuine visitor.

If you were waiting for her in arrivals it's likely that the officer would speak to you, it's always a good idea for your partner to have your mobile number to hand.

Yes, you should supply six months of bank statements and salary slips, the actual advice is "Covering up to the previous six months. If your salary is paid directly into your bank account, you should consider providing the statements showing these payments".

Sorry about saying your wife could wait in Thailand, I'd missed the bit about her being Indonesian, but the same applies regarding waiting in her home country.

As theoldgit says, she shouldn't be refused at Heathrow if no deception has been used to obtain the visa, and her circumstances haven't changed since the visa was issued. If you are traveling with her then the immigration officer will almost certainly have a word with you if he wants more information. In any event, she would have a right of appeal before being removed from the UK if she were to be refused.

I'm assuming that you are asking about wage slips because you don't have any ? If you were working in the Uk, and inviting her to visit, or a similar scenario, then you would be expected to show that you are employed, have a salary, etc. But your situation is very different. You would need to show that you can support and accommodate her while she is in the UK. If you have evidence of a job to go to in the UK and evidence that you will have sufficient income, accommodation, etc then that could meet the requirements.

I understand your reservations, but you are asking for options. If you are worried, then consider using an agent to assist in the application. For instance, we operate on a "no-visa, no-fee" basis, so if the visa was refused you would lose absolutely nothing. If the visa was issued, then you would pay our fee. We could possibly, by the way, do the application for you even if you and your girlfriend are not in Thailand.

BY the way, I would like to see the "weird stamp" that the immigration officer put in her passport. Can you upload a photo for us to see ? The circumstances under which an immigration officer can curtail the validity of a valid visa are limited, and I would expect your wife to have received some notice in writing explaining why this was done. Was she given any written notice ?

Tony M

Thank you sirs

Thaivisaexpress, we may certainly take you up on that offer. I've never used an agent in the past but considering how on this occasion there is a bit of haze it would be a worthwhile investment.

Regarding the stamp, sure I can take a pic of it and compare it against a previous to post here, I'll sort it out by day after tomorrow. She did get a 'slip' after her interrogation from immigration but I can't remember the contents, I'm not sure she kept it. We don't have it with us right now as we're in nepal. Mrs believes it's probably lost in the wilderness of paperwork

Thanks again sirs, and I will revive this thread once I get a job in November! And post the visa stamp shortly

Thank you sirs

Thaivisaexpress, we may certainly take you up on that offer. I've never used an agent in the past but considering how on this occasion there is a bit of haze it would be a worthwhile investment.

Regarding the stamp, sure I can take a pic of it and compare it against a previous to post here, I'll sort it out by day after tomorrow. She did get a 'slip' after her interrogation from immigration but I can't remember the contents, I'm not sure she kept it. We don't have it with us right now as we're in nepal. Mrs believes it's probably lost in the wilderness of paperwork

Thanks again sirs, and I will revive this thread once I get a job in November! And post the visa stamp shortly

Are you able to post the stamp in the passport ?

I suspect it was a Code 3 reported landing. Unbelievably, some idiot immigration officers still do this with visa holders who have troubled them. The problem these days is the reservoir of experience, knowledge and understanding is getting more shallow by the year. There is no means by which an immigration officer can curtail or shorten a visa other than outright refusal. The slip given to the visa holder was probably an IS 81 whilst the officer wandered off to check out the VAF details.

Immigration staff have little to do these days beyond endless scanning. Piddling about with genuine visitors they suspect are establishing a de facto clandestine residence is often just an excuse to get off the desk as a respite. Some even go so far as searching baggage to find that all too elusive evidence of working in breach but that is generally only in instances when " senior " immigration officers intimidate weak Chief Immigration Officers into authorising them.

In these sorts of cases I always advise folk to stand their ground and seek confirmation from the Chief Immigration Officer on floor duty that what the immigration officer has said is correct, within the rules and current policy. Taking names or warrant numbers is crucial if one wishes to pursue the matter as a written complaint.

I omitted to mention the endorsement given by the immigration officer is unlawful and without any relevance. However, if the holder wishes to leave and then return she should produce a letter from her legal rep stating that if she is to be detained they should be contacted immediately. I assume that the immigration officer has not endorsed the extant visa with a cancellation stamp.

Edited by Seekingasylum
  • Like 1

I suspect it was a Code 3 reported landing. Unbelievably, some idiot immigration officers still do this with visa holders who have troubled them. The problem these days is the reservoir of experience, knowledge and understanding is getting more shallow by the year. There is no means by which an immigration officer can curtail or shorten a visa other than outright refusal. The slip given to the visa holder was probably an IS 81 whilst the officer wandered off to check out the VAF details.

Immigration staff have little to do these days beyond endless scanning. Piddling about with genuine visitors they suspect are establishing a de facto clandestine residence is often just an excuse to get off the desk as a respite. Some even go so far as searching baggage to find that all too elusive evidence of working in breach but that is generally only in instances when " senior " immigration officers intimidate weak Chief Immigration Officers into authorising them.

In these sorts of cases I always advise folk to stand their ground and seek confirmation from the Chief Immigration Officer on floor duty that what the immigration officer has said is correct, within the rules and current policy. Taking names or warrant numbers is crucial if one wishes to pursue the matter as a written complaint.

I omitted to mention the endorsement given by the immigration officer is unlawful and without any relevance. However, if the holder wishes to leave and then return she should produce a letter from her legal rep stating that if she is to be detained they should be contacted immediately. I assume that the immigration officer has not endorsed the extant visa with a cancellation stamp.

Hi John,

That is why I have asked the OP to post a photo of the stamp/endorsement. I am interested to see exactly what the immigration officer has done !

Tony M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

To update:

End of october after our travels i returned to the UK and she returned to Jakarta. She has been staying in an apartment rented and i've been living at my own flat. I started work again on the 1st November 2014. I get paid on a weekly basis as a contractor. so i have 3 months worth of weekly payslips. Based on this i understand we would not be able to apply for spouse visa until first week of May. (I'm waiting to hear what the response is on visa processing times on my other thread)

i'm going to take you guys up on your offer to get her here for up to 6 months while i wait to 'qualify' for the balance of at least 3 more months worth of payslips (before we apply for the spouse visa).

I went for a brief visit to Jakarta to visit her prior to the new year. she is staying in a rented apartment and it is a real pain as it is 1 extra set of bills we wouldn't have if she were here with me. Anyway, after some discussion with her she does not want to wait until May + however long to process the application to come back to London, so she is going to apply for the Visitor visa first week of Feb, fast track it and get a flight back to London mid Feb. I will fly to Jakarta to pick her up to avoid any problems with the immigration in London (we will also bring the visa pack with us).

at the point of application for the visit visa i'll have £6k in the bank and 3 months worth of weekly pay slips. this should be enough, right?

She'll spend most of the spring and summer with me in London at our house, but she will then have no choice but to return to Jakarta in August and then apply for the full Spouse visa. Plan is to prepare the entire application in London before hand, do it online, print it out, and apply immediately upon setting foot in Jakarta to save time. if the visa processing period is really 3 months then we'll have to rent an apartment yet again, and she'll hopefully be home in time for Christmas.

Sound like a plan? thoughts please

Edited by Grindting

at the point of application for the visit visa i'll have £6k in the bank and 3 months worth of weekly pay slips. this should be enough, right?

For a visit, £6,000 plus your earnings should be enough.

You may find UK visit visa basics helpful.

See Annex FM Section FM 1.7: Financial Requirement for the full details of the financial requirement for settlement.

She'll spend most of the spring and summer with me in London at our house, but she will then have no choice but to return to Jakarta in August and then apply for the full Spouse visa. Plan is to prepare the entire application in London before hand, do it online, print it out, and apply immediately upon setting foot in Jakarta to save time.

As I understand it, you cannot print out the application form until you have paid the fee and made the appointment for her to submit the supporting documents and have her biometrics taken.

I also understand that the appointment cannot be made very far in advance; 2 weeks at most, I believe.

So my advice would be to do everything except submit the online application together in the UK. She then returns to Jakarta with the supporting documents, you in London or her in Jakarta then submits the online application, pays the fee and makes the appointment and she in Jakarta then prints out the form to sign and take to the appointment with her.

Unless you are sure she can get to Jakarta in time for the appointment.

Edited by 7by7

• 2 weeks later...

7by7 - sorry for the late reply in saying thank you

I actually had no idea anyone had responded until i randomly just checked the boards now, usually the board sends an alert to my email when someone replies to something i write.

I wanted to say I really appreciate your help, i sincerely mean that.

all the best