For the mushroom lovers

Guderian

I was buying some vegetables in Makro yesterday and they had a promotional stall set up there selling various mushrooms. What caught my fancy was a four-pack of the large Portobello mushrooms. IMHO these are the tastiest of all mushrooms but I've never seen them on sale here before. So I bought a pack, not expensive at 75 Baht, and cooked a mixed grill for tea with the mushrooms. They were really excellent, as good as you'd buy in a British supermarket. I've no idea how long the stall will be there in the veg section but if you like these big mushrooms then give them a go. They hail from Malaysia and the brand name is Silver Creek.

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 1

It was the big Makro down by Underwater World. If they're also on sale in Foodland then that's good news, maybe they will become a permanent part of the shopping scene here. They really are great, fried or barbecued.

It was the big Makro down by Underwater World. If they're also on sale in Foodland then that's good news, maybe they will become a permanent part of the shopping scene here. They really are great, fried or barbecued.

We've found it to be hit and miss...at least with regards to prices. They are pretty much always available at Foodland, but prices are sometimes a bit much to justify.

I get mine fresh and free at the golf course. The caddies will collect all sorts of "weeds" on the way around to take home and cook, but for some reason they don't like the open portabello type of mushroom.

I spot them on the front 9 and then pick them on the second time around. Put them in the insulated pocket in my golf bag and take them home.

Occasionally I'll wash them off and have a snack on the way around the course - luvly jubly!!