A few questions about selling and buying a new/2nd hand bike if you please..UKc

marcusmarsh

Hi all,

Just over a year ago, after many helpful comments on here and lots of research, I bought a new Honda CB500F. It was the first time Id ridden a bigger than 100cc bike in maybe 15 years, since the days of my Suzuki Bandit 600cc back in the UK. All the joy of motorcycling came back in floods - honestly I was like a kid again. Couldnt sleep at night ? No problem - just go for a 2am spin on the empty roads for an hour or so - loved it :) I can honestly say to this day, about 14 months later, I still get a big buzz from riding it.

BUT....... theres always a but eh...

lets just say that I have started the very early thought process about which next bike to get ? I know I know... but lifes short and money is not a major issue (though thats not to say im loaded - but am fairly comfy - for me at least - and happy to spend a couple of grand on something bigger/faster).

I would like a bit more top end speed plus a tad more 0 - 100kph speed though am in no rush to go out and buy something. Thing is Im a bit lost with the process of selling and buying 2nd hand bikes here in Chiang Mai. I actually dont know where to start or who to ask. So Im gonna just blurt my early thoughts/ questions out in the hope that some of your answers (should anyone bother to reply) help me in some way. Any answers are sincerely appreciated as always.

1, I bought the Honda CB500F for 205 or 210k (baht) brand new and its in good condition.

any idea how much this would sell for in the current market ?

2, If I wanted to buy a 1 or 2 year old 2nd hand bike (perhaps a Kawasaki ER6i though im not at all sure yet) where,s the best place to start looking for decent 2nd hand bikes that are no more than 2 years old ? Also the best place to sell my current bike ?

3, Lets say I end up buying a bike from a different province than here in Chiang Mai (where I live) is that a issue ? Do I need to change registration to Chiang Mai ? Easy enough to do or do people recommend to buy within the province I already live in in the first place ?

4, is it even feasible there is somewhere I could take in my CB500 and trade it for different make of bike ?

5, any recommendations other than what I have asked above are welcome.

Ideally id like to sell my bike add a further 75k (perhaps 100k max) to what I sell it for and get something bigger and faster. If there are any suggestions for what bike that might be im listening.

I do not want a out and out racing type with the drop handle bars as thats not my cup of tea. The bike would be the only bike I ride and I like to pop into town a fair bit. The CB was perfect for this, nipping in and out of and being a nuisance to cars etc :) I want a bike thats good for town and good for long cruises but with more speed than the CB. Its actually possible I will stick with the CB for a fair bit longer yet BUT early doors feelers have begun....

Appreciated

Marcus

IMO, there is not so much difference CB500 vs ER6N. Both are two cylinder bikes and you will seek something more powerful shortly. If you dont prefer drop handle, you can go for CB650F then. I think it perfectly fits what you are looking for.

Kind Regards,

Ozzie

• Like 1

I appreciate every single answer above. The ER6n idea is out of the window. To be honest I THINK it (changing bikes) was just a wee thought process that might pass soon enough. I do like the idea of the extra power of the CB650f and im convinced in no time id grow to love the bike. But I dont quite fancy it (the look of it) if you know what I mean...

Still wanting to hear more replies, particularly for ideas of different bikes (no drop handle bars) that offer more oopmh without being too expensive.

There is a Yamaha big bike showroom or two Ive noticed around town and out near me (Lanna golf course). They got any 600cc bikes worth checking ?

Triumph Daytona 675R or Suzuki GSX-R750 ( something in this category )

This is the next level for you,sounds like you have just about finished with the learner bike.

Hire one for a few days or a week. You won't believe the difference in acceleration,braking,handling,I am more than happy to join you on a test drive,for support.In Pattaya area.

A test drive of what ever you choose is imperative.Good luck

• Like 1

I'm in the very early steps of my riding "career" (I too own a CB500F) and in my opinion since you are going to step up from a capable but basic first "real" bike to something "more.." then the next one should be something you really fancy and which ticks all or most the boxes for you. If the CB650 doesn't do it for you right now then test ride other bikes. Depending on your budget, and assuming you want to stay in the naked / street fighter category then I would consider: Ducati 796, Hypermotard, BMW F800R, Yamaha MT-09, MV Augusta Rivale, Kawasaki Z1000. Who knows maybe one of them will be "the one" or maybe after trying them you'll go back to looking at the CB650. Either way, good luck with your choice, take your time.

• Like 1

Exactly what Rambling says.

You need a bigger cc jump than 150cc and a better chassis.

No sense in spending money on a bike that is only a little better.

You may as well get a 750cc or bigger engine so you can appreciate the power boost.

Run your current bike into the ground, save up, and then buy a BMW, MVA, KTM, Triumph, or Ducati so you will feel special riding it.

• Like 1