Why do people complain about their Embassy

kingstonkid

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife seemed to think her Philippine embassy was a one stop shop for anything legal which of course they are not. But that is just her unreal expectation of whant an embassy can do.

I have never had any issue with my own, but found the Thai embassy in Singapore to be rather user unfriendly and more like to refuse you service than offer it. My experience getting the visa for my wife and I to come and work in Thailand when my company transferred me was to return 4 times and stand in a long queue when documents where either not original and they wanted to see original, or they added documents that was not on the list, twice, then said the photos were the wrong size after seeing them 3 times before. I can't recall the exact size they asked for, but the standard passport photos were too small. That photo issue was frustrating because they don't use the photo for anything but their file after asking nicely what it was needed for.

I have been using the Australian Embassy in Bkk and it's primary purpose is to make money not help people it appears. TO witness documents $590 per signature, In Australia Free, overseas where they think you have no option they charge.

They nearly got me, asked for someone to witness some documents, saw on the fee chart they charge $590 for that and though ok it will take 5 minutes but fine. She signed duplicate copies (backups in case there was a problem) end price $1,770 discounted from $3,540 because she didn't want to charge for duplicates.

Everytime I walk in there I have to pay, so doesn't appear to be there to help people, they appear to just be there to make money. Typical Australian government style.

The Thai emmbasy in Australia, anything you need if you are a thai is pretty much free, they are there to help. You shouldn't have to pay for most of the services in an embassy, based on the policies used to setup the embassy you shouldn't really be paying at all.

On the two occasions I have dealt with the BE I have found the service to be very poor, if it were any other department it would be found to be unfit for purpose.

1). Applied for a passport, the Thai staff were as helpful as a bucket of sand and rude an impolite as any official I have met in all the years of my travels (I can assure the readers that I am neither a pompous or arrogant sole and will tip my forelock to those where I have to).

2) A family member here feel into a coma and I asked the Embassy for information on what I the procedures were for repatriation and after two emails the only response was an automated reply to inform me that I would get a response.

If Embassies are not there to provide guidance and help to its subjects what are they there for?

I am a Belgian and before coming to Thailand I was 20 years in the diplomatic service of my country (6 years as a career Consul before entering the higher ranks).

The Embassies are here first of all to represent their country in Thailand in diplomatic matters.

Nearly all Embassies have also a Consulate attached to the Embassy in the capital city and have also one or more career consulates in provincial cities... and if their budgets are limited they appoint still more but only honorary consuls in provincial cities.

I have the impression that some foreigners in Thailand (and not only in this country) expect from their Consul some social services which can be obtained at city hall in their own country where they pay taxes and where the authorities have means to verify their story : social services is not - I repeat not - the job of a Consul but some assistance can be given on an humanitarian basis.

About sometimes frustrating paperwork to get a passport or to obtain a visa : since the numbers of fake passports, fake marriages and fake visas have exponentially increased since the days that tourism increased 10 or 20 times, the Consuls are more and more warned from their own capital city to be careful ...and check...and check.

The fees they charges are NOT decided by the consul or his assistants but by the Consular Department of the Foreign Ministry in the home country.

Probably it can happen that a consular official or one of his employees becomes short tempered but I have never experienced it during the 25 years I live Thailand : I never introduced myself as a former member of the BE diplomatic service but I know the rules and restrictions under which they have to work.

• Like 1

Very simple answer for the U.S. embassy, CIVIL SERVICE . That means employees with no incentive to be efficient .clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I've been to the US Consulate in Chiang Mai many times and found them to be quite efficient. The appointment system works quite well. I spend ten minutes there usually, then leave.

I have seen people show up without appointments or make a case that didn't need to be made. In both situations, they wasted some time.

Worldwide I treat embassy employees with the same respect they treat me, which is a lot. That makes for a more efficient and pleasant visit.

seajae, on 31 Aug 2014 - 16:22, said:

for my visa application I needed the embassy to proof a couple of aussie govt documents that I could only get by downloading. The embassy official told me to download them and travel to Bangkok to have them authorized but when I got there the female thai worker refused to do it even though I explained that her boss had told me it was ok to do, Didnt matter what I said she simply refused to accept it or contact her boss to even check it out, made me waste a flight to Bangkok for nothing.

After flying back home I sent a pretty narky email to Bangkok telling them I wanted a refund of the costs(flights and taxis) seeing they had lied to me and given me false information. I got a huge apology and they said to send the documents to them and they would do everything required and return them which they did. Guess this makes it kind of half good but it was the hired thai help that were the idiots, not the actual emabassy people so I guess the actual aussie people were good, it was just the local drop kicks that f**ked up totally.

What I can't understand, from the Australian embassy, is why they say to send any visa applications via VFS, which does nothing except forward everything to the embassy, they even state it will be quicker to process the visa but if you send/deliver it direct, to the Embassy, it will take a lot longer, go figure.

I needed a Thai driving licence and was told by the Buriram Transport Office to get a letter from the British Embassy to confirm my entitlement to drive. Emailed the Embassy for assistance, never got a reply. In the end Surin accepted my UK licence and just needed a letter from Kap Choeng to confirm my visa status, address etc.

Thanks for nothing BE.

When I worked in Tokyo the British Embassy did nothing for me. (I'm British.) The Australian Embassy, however, regularly invited me to barbecues in the embassy grounds with lots of free wine and beer. It made me feel that they were interested in their citizens living there and finding out about their problems and issues. British Embassy staff just don't care and seem to see expats as an inconvenience.

• Like 1

I find it strange that if you were reading posts here about people's complaints about their embassies...that they did not cite what was the cause of their complaint was...isn't that the purpose of posting one's complaint ...to let people know what went wrong.They're hardly going to make an OP stating "I have a gripe against my embassy" ....and then Goodbye and leave it at that. Surely they cannot wait to go on and tell all what they're gripe is about, So not sure why you do not know what the complaints were about if you read them on TV.

Edited by dotpoom

I needed a Thai driving licence and was told by the Buriram Transport Office to get a letter from the British Embassy to confirm my entitlement to drive. Emailed the Embassy for assistance, never got a reply. In the end Surin accepted my UK licence and just needed a letter from Kap Choeng to confirm my visa status, address etc.

Thanks for nothing BE.

You should direct this towards Buriram transport office, as the only thing the Embassy could have done in these circumstances would be to issue a 'stat dec' re your address; a service free of charge from your local immigration office.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Personally I haven't had any problems with the BE in BKK and have found them to be helpful on occasion when having to visit, email or phone. I do use the postal service whenever possible. However, the cost of letters and 2,500 baht for confirmation of income is ridiculous. A Dutch friend of mine pays his embassy 1,400 baht for the same piece of paper.

When I worked in Tokyo the British Embassy did nothing for me. (I'm British.) The Australian Embassy, however, regularly invited me to barbecues in the embassy grounds with lots of free wine and beer. It made me feel that they were interested in their citizens living there and finding out about their problems and issues. British Embassy staff just don't care and seem to see expats as an inconvenience.

What was the ratio of Aussies to Brits? How big is the garden?

WhiteHorse1923_304x337.jpg

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Don't know about others, but my Embassy has been very good to me.

They even gave my wife a visa to visit Greece.

Although, the guy in there, gave me a lecture for about 20 minutes, as to how bad and conniving, Thai Ladies can be.

Did you smack him one?

• Like 1

Thanks for nothing BE.

You should direct this towards Buriram transport office, as the only thing the Embassy could have done in these circumstances would be to issue a 'stat dec' re your address, a service free of charge from your local immigration office.

HTH

No issue with what you say, just a reply to my email would have been "nice" 555

My only contact with the embassy so far and 0 out of 10. Passports are my biggest gripe, but to be fair to the embassy that was removed from their responsibility, so it's a gripe against the decision makers.

Edited by watso63

I have no complaints about service I have received, although just normal passport renewals, income letters, and notarizations, at the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai. My complaint is the exorbitant fees. I receive a pension from the U.S. and must pay thousands of dollars in taxes to the U.S. Living here i receive no services from the U.S. Government except the occasional visit to the Consulate. I feel my tax dollars have paid for those services many times over and we should not be charged, especially overcharged, again. This of course is a State Department issue and nothing the local consulate has control over.

Other than that, no problem. thumbsup.gif

The US Consulate in Chiang Mai has always been influenced by the missionaries who came here and set up the first churches and hospital, McCormack Hospital. Missionaries have been here since after the civil war and the first Council General was a missionary. They have a lot of quite power and try to keep a low profile with that power. The Prince Royal School, Dara Academy and Chiang Mai International school as well as Payap University were all started because and by the missionaries. You have to remember until the opening of the Mae Sai border crossing sometime in the 90's few expats lived here. Expats would have to travel to Malaysia for any border runs and or visas in Penang a 3 to 4 day round trip. In the 70's and 80's you could walk into the consulate and do any business easily and almost free. Everyone knew everyone anyway. Today the consulate is all about money for a Nortary, I have complained to every Senator and congressmen about this nothing. It's a scam perpetrated upon citizens who have no choice but to pay the piper.

• Like 1

We complain about our embassies because there is no use complaining to them. They think they are gods. I expect the same level of service from them as I would expect from a Government department in my own country. Needless to say this is not given.

• Like 2

On the two occasions I have dealt with the BE I have found the service to be very poor, if it were any other department it would be found to be unfit for purpose.

1). Applied for a passport, the Thai staff were as helpful as a bucket of sand and rude an impolite as any official I have met in all the years of my travels (I can assure the readers that I am neither a pompous or arrogant sole and will tip my forelock to those where I have to).

2) A family member here feel into a coma and I asked the Embassy for information on what I the procedures were for repatriation and after two emails the only response was an automated reply to inform me that I would get a response.

If Embassies are not there to provide guidance and help to its subjects what are they there for?

I am a Belgian and before coming to Thailand I was 20 years in the diplomatic service of my country (6 years as a career Consul before entering the higher ranks).

The Embassies are here first of all to represent their country in Thailand in diplomatic matters.

Nearly all Embassies have also a Consulate attached to the Embassy in the capital city and have also one or more career consulates in provincial cities... and if their budgets are limited they appoint still more but only honorary consuls in provincial cities.

I have the impression that some foreigners in Thailand (and not only in this country) expect from their Consul some social services which can be obtained at city hall in their own country where they pay taxes and where the authorities have means to verify their story : social services is not - I repeat not - the job of a Consul but some assistance can be given on an humanitarian basis.

About sometimes frustrating paperwork to get a passport or to obtain a visa : since the numbers of fake passports, fake marriages and fake visas have exponentially increased since the days that tourism increased 10 or 20 times, the Consuls are more and more warned from their own capital city to be careful ...and check...and check.

The fees they charges are NOT decided by the consul or his assistants but by the Consular Department of the Foreign Ministry in the home country.

Probably it can happen that a consular official or one of his employees becomes short tempered but I have never experienced it during the 25 years I live Thailand : I never introduced myself as a former member of the BE diplomatic service but I know the rules and restrictions under which they have to work.

Fair comments from a professional.

Several years ago I worked with a German/American CEO. I was on the international team based in India, Malaysian and HK so had lots of communication and contact with UK,US and EU country embassies via the commercial sections.

He always used to joke that the British were still pursuing "sailing ship diplomacy" and dreaming of the Empire. He was right! US and Germans much more focused on business and in helping their citizens. Brits more interested in which school and university you went to and if your family was connected, IME.

The immigration side is part of the UK home office. The Embassy staff part of the Foreign office. Start of the problem.

In India the number of EU expats was small at the time so we all tended to go to the same functions and knew the various officials. Here, the number is much bigger. I guess you would have to be part of the Embassy breakfast briefings club or the British Club to be part of the Embassy set.Those of us that don't want to be part of the back slapping old boy net work will not be engaged. I have never been contacted and now they have stopped the on-line registration keep in touch facility too. Quite frankly, unless you are part of the gin and tonic club set they don't want to know.

The only complaint I have with the US embassy is that it costs $50 to get the annual income affidavit notarized which seems a tad expensive, but since they come out to Pattaya 4 times a year it saves me a more expensive visit to Bangkok to get it, so maybe I shouldn't complain about that. I guess the $50 really covers the whole package and not just the embossed seal.

Have had dealings with US embassy in Abu Dhabi and the Dubai consulate in the UAE, the US consulate in Lahore, Pakistan, embassy here in Bangkok, embassies in several countries in Africa. No complaints.

I think in some cases people misunderstand the functions of an embassy and expect them to be travel advisers, cheque cashers, legal problem sorters, tax accountants, rescuers of people who have done stupid things, etc ... none of which really are their responsibility.

Both the US and Thai staff in Bangkok always seem very polite and helpful. Certainly no experiences like those of the Brits.

Edited by Suradit69

Several years ago I worked with a German/American CEO. I was on the international team based in India, Malaysian and HK so had lots of communication and contact with UK,US and EU country embassies via the commercial sections.

He always used to joke that the British were still pursuing "sailing ship diplomacy" and dreaming of the Empire. He was right! US and Germans much more focused on business and in helping their citizens. Brits more interested in which school and university you went to and if your family was connected, IME.

The immigration side is part of the UK home office. The Embassy staff part of the Foreign office. Start of the problem.

In India the number of EU expats was small at the time so we all tended to go to the same functions and knew the various officials. Here, the number is much bigger. I guess you would have to be part of the Embassy breakfast briefings club or the British Club to be part of the Embassy set.Those of us that don't want to be part of the back slapping old boy net work will not be engaged. I have never been contacted and now they have stopped the on-line registration keep in touch facility too. Quite frankly, unless you are part of the gin and tonic club set they don't want to know.

1. See post 52.

2. Facebook, Twitter etc rendered formal registration obsolete.

Edited by evadgib

I had to visit the " Spanish Embassy " in Bangkok a while back.The views were amazing from this high floor modern office block.The service was quite good and staff were friendly ( although no smiles from the Thai ladies ) I spoke to the staff in Spanish but the funny thing was that most of the " farang staff " were in fact " French " ........ lol

Farang Jaidee wai.gif

Found the English Embassy in Bangkok very good, they seem to be always very busy---Kwasaki

Wow , you really may be an endangered species Kwasaki,

I can access 3 embassy's , but always try to keep away from the UK one if possible--sometimes its not possible, just 2 examples & I know of a lot more, but these 2 happened to me--I was visiting a person in Prison about 11 years ago who had some major problems, the UK embassy provided him with a short list of Lawyers, he picked one out made contacted & basically he was robbed by them, I guess a warning sign might have been the first question, How much funds do you have with you $us9,800---well amazingly that was their fee. but they never turned up for any hearings. I reported it of course---so was quite surprised when 2 years latter a friend told me that their name was still on the embassy list--the embassy then told me that they don't recommend anyone, just provide a list---but isn't someones name on a list given by you a recommendation ?? & aren't you going to at least remove it--short story was that I wrote to F.A. in the UK (no that's not the football) & I am told it is removed.

Last year I had booked up for a months holiday in the UK with my wife, got a umbilical hernia a week or so before we left, so wrote to the embassy about the possibility of paying to have her Visa extended or renewed, it wouldn't have upset me if they had replied that under rule -This-& section -That- it wasn't possible, but it was a really arrogant letter that stated we understand your position but your wife isn't sick she can still go , replying to them that we were staying with friends who she had never met, was to no avail, so her 1 month dream holiday, looking round the UK was reduced to 10 days.

​I know of many other 3rd party instances-- but they didn't happen to me .

​I have had to deal with quite a few embassy's in the years that I have lived here-- & If I rated them the best 2 are IMO.

​The Irish & the USA embassy's. ..both seem to go that extra yard for their citizens, the Irish always follow up when there is someone in trouble, & even have a small fund if you are incarcerated -300 baht a day. The USA is equal to that, you never have to chase them--- & they are the only embassy I know that travel everywhere --it would take a major effort to move someone from the UK embassy out of the BKK coffee shops / Bars

• Like 2

I didn't appreciate the Thai embassy employee laying a power trip and treating Ms. Bino like a whore when we applied for her first ever visitor visa.

We were warned about the attitude of the Thai staff at the British Embassy. My wife was teaching English at the time so really could understand everything the immigration officer said, before the Thai employee translated. My wife said the immigration officer used polite and friendly wording whereas the Thai talked down to her and also changed some of the meaning and removed the politeness. Quite deliberately in my wife's view.

Several people I know complained - that was over a dozen years ago.

1. See post 52.

2. Facebook & twitter rendered formal registration obsolete.

1. See post 52. laugh.png

2. Facebook & twitter rendered formal registration obsolete. xangry.png.pagespeed.ic.Cla6z9sEn6.png W t f should I have to use Facebook and/or Twitter? So much for the British governments crap about security. Let's just bang it all on social media for the whole world to mine.

I didn't appreciate the Thai embassy employee laying a power trip and treating Ms. Bino like a whore when we applied for her first ever visitor visa.

We were warned about the attitude of the Thai staff at the British Embassy. My wife was teaching English at the time so really could understand everything the immigration officer said, before the Thai employee translated. My wife said the immigration officer used polite and friendly wording whereas the Thai talked down to her and also changed some of the meaning and removed the politeness. Quite deliberately in my wife's view.

Several people I know complained - that was over a dozen years ago.

"We were warned about the attitude of the Thai staff at the British Embassy"

Thai staff are probably under-paid and treated badly by the under-paid UK embassy personnel who are still infused with a condescending colonial mentality towards anyone not them. What goes around comes around.