Why do people complain about their Embassy

kingstonkid

The only complaint I have with the US embassy is that it costs $50 to get the annual income affidavit notarized which seems a tad expensive, but since they come out to Pattaya 4 times a year it saves me a more expensive visit to Bangkok to get it, so maybe I shouldn't complain about that. I guess the $50 really covers the whole package and not just the embossed seal.

Have had dealings with US embassy in Abu Dhabi and the Dubai consulate in the UAE, the US consulate in Lahore, Pakistan, embassy here in Bangkok, embassies in several countries in Africa. No complaints.

I think in some cases people misunderstand the functions of an embassy and expect them to be travel advisers, cheque cashers, legal problem sorters, tax accountants, rescuers of people who have done stupid things, etc ... none of which really are their responsibility.

Both the US and Thai staff in Bangkok always seem very polite and helpful. Certainly no experiences like those of the Brits.

Interesting. The British Embassy in Abu Dhabi was also very good. Proactive and the consular services were really efficient and effective run by a really nice helpful British Indian lady. Completely different to here. That is a point with British Embassies and consuls - highly variable in attitude and performance - IME.

My American friends in Abu Dhabi all spoke well of their Embassy. American embassies seem much more uniform than British ones.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no complaints about service I have received, although just normal passport renewals, income letters, and notarizations, at the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai. My complaint is the exorbitant fees. I receive a pension from the U.S. and must pay thousands of dollars in taxes to the U.S. Living here i receive no services from the U.S. Government except the occasional visit to the Consulate. I feel my tax dollars have paid for those services many times over and we should not be charged, especially overcharged, again. This of course is a State Department issue and nothing the local consulate has control over.

Other than that, no problem. thumbsup.gif

The US Consulate in Chiang Mai has always been influenced by the missionaries who came here and set up the first churches and hospital, McCormack Hospital. Missionaries have been here since after the civil war and the first Council General was a missionary. They have a lot of quite power and try to keep a low profile with that power. The Prince Royal School, Dara Academy and Chiang Mai International school as well as Payap University were all started because and by the missionaries. You have to remember until the opening of the Mae Sai border crossing sometime in the 90's few expats lived here. Expats would have to travel to Malaysia for any border runs and or visas in Penang a 3 to 4 day round trip. In the 70's and 80's you could walk into the consulate and do any business easily and almost free. Everyone knew everyone anyway. Today the consulate is all about money for a Nortary, I have complained to every Senator and congressmen about this nothing. It's a scam perpetrated upon citizens who have no choice but to pay the piper.

The missionaries in Chiang Mai have nothing to do with the high notary fees. Those fees are set by the State Department and the same at all the embassies and consulates.

I didn't appreciate the Thai embassy employee laying a power trip and treating Ms. Bino like a whore when we applied for her first ever visitor visa.

We were warned about the attitude of the Thai staff at the British Embassy. My wife was teaching English at the time so really could understand everything the immigration officer said, before the Thai employee translated. My wife said the immigration officer used polite and friendly wording whereas the Thai talked down to her and also changed some of the meaning and removed the politeness. Quite deliberately in my wife's view.

Several people I know complained - that was over a dozen years ago.

"We were warned about the attitude of the Thai staff at the British Embassy"

Thai staff are probably under-paid and treated badly by the under-paid UK embassy personnel who are still infused with a condescending colonial mentality towards anyone not them. What goes around comes around.

Maybe - but some were just jealous bitches pissed off that someone else was getting something. Jealousy is a bad trait.

I've found some of the British staff, in many countries to be patronizing, condescending and not very professional. Others the complete opposite and brilliant.

Not all Thais are perfect little helpful souls - some are spiteful and very jealous fueled by the face culture. Stop constantly blaming everyone for everything apart from any Thai. There is no need - most of us have our own experiences and know there are good and bad. Constantly defending them is really very patronizing.

Suradit69, on 01 Sept 2014 - 12:16, said:
Baerboxer, on 01 Sept 2014 - 12:06, said:
bino, on 01 Sept 2014 - 10:27, said:

I didn't appreciate the Thai embassy employee laying a power trip and treating Ms. Bino like a whore when we applied for her first ever visitor visa.

We were warned about the attitude of the Thai staff at the British Embassy. My wife was teaching English at the time so really could understand everything the immigration officer said, before the Thai employee translated. My wife said the immigration officer used polite and friendly wording whereas the Thai talked down to her and also changed some of the meaning and removed the politeness. Quite deliberately in my wife's view.

Several people I know complained - that was over a dozen years ago.

"We were warned about the attitude of the Thai staff at the British Embassy"

Thai staff are probably under-paid and treated badly by the under-paid UK embassy personnel who are still infused with a condescending colonial mentality towards anyone not them. What goes around comes around.

All guess work... if we all only "guessed" we'd never get a decent answer.... Thais, are paid, at a minimum, at the going Thai rate, no matter who they work for. As for "condescending" "colonial" mentality, I guess you can prove it.

About 12 years ago I came to Thailand on one of my two annual visits and tried to find a friend of mine. Went to his house with my wife, we were told he was in hospital. We found him tucked away in the corner of a ward in Buriram hospital He was so glad to see us he was in tears, literally. The poor old sod had been there for almost 10 weeks. All his belongings had been stolen or gone missing, no one had visited him in that time. He could not walk, had to be washed and cleaned up in his bed, much to the nurses annoyance, He was over 70 years of age.

I got him transferred to my local hospital to be able to look after him better. It was obvious that this bloke needed better medical treatment than he was getting in a Govt. hospital. I could not afford to have him repatriated so I appealed to the Australian Embassy for assistance.

The embassy staff were great. They contacted his bank in Oz to ascertain if he had any funds, information that the bank would not give me because of privacy regulations. They contacted the Oz Returned Servicemen s Org and confirmed that he was a WWII veteran (navy). They organised a transfer to Bangkok to a private hospital where he was stabilised so that he could fly back home to Australia.

When the vice consul visited my friend in hospital to confirm his details, see his passport etc. he told me that at any one time they were dealing with about 60 Australian citizens who had got themselves into some sort of difficulties in Thailand.

Yes I agree that the amounts charged are exorbitant, however the last time I visited the Australian consulate in Bangkok, the lovely Thai lady behind the desk waived the fee for my affidavit, saying that I could have it for free as I had come a long way and I am wheelchair confined.

Nope, no complaints about the Australian Embassy or their staff.

• Like 2

I wonder if Embassy staff and Ambassadors read TV. I am sure they do, but do they observe the criticisms made of them and if so, endeavour to to avoid them in the future?

I wouldn't think that anybody from any Embassy in there right mind would even be "slightly interested " in reading what's on here! lol

I have no complaints about service I have received, although just normal passport renewals, income letters, and notarizations, at the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai. My complaint is the exorbitant fees. I receive a pension from the U.S. and must pay thousands of dollars in taxes to the U.S. Living here i receive no services from the U.S. Government except the occasional visit to the Consulate. I feel my tax dollars have paid for those services many times over and we should not be charged, especially overcharged, again. This of course is a State Department issue and nothing the local consulate has control over.

I needed 3 papers notarized, total $150.- The lady was kind of embarrassed about it. Now I would gladly pay $100 per stamp if they took that stupid picture of the illegal squatter in the WH off the wall.

The answer is easy. They seem to be useless and as uncooperative as possible. They let me and my wife down a couple of times. They wouldn't allow me to make an appointment, but when I show up all sort of people jump in front of me because of their appointment they made.

Once they gave me the wrong stamp so that I couldn't have my marriage verified in my country. As a result, I have lost quite a lot of money and time. Note: No one has ever apologized.

Whenever my wife goes for Schengen Visa, they interview her. WHY? Last time their excuse was that the interview details had been missing from their files.

I have told them off a couple of occasions.

Why would we love them??

As for the positive side, erm... erm... not too sure what I can say. Oh yes, they are open three times a week for about 5 hours if this counts as positive.

These days, most embassies have reduced their services to issuing new passports and issuing visas for Thai Beauties to visit their Frarang sponsor in Farangistan.

For the daily paper-shuffling they have Thai-Nationals at their disposal. Oftentimes their language skills are simply inadequate to handle current affairs concerning the Farang.

But then, one must forgive the Farang-Embassy staff: They have a horrible time table. They must hop from one Hi-So Event to the next. And all this merely on a lavish European salary?

I am not so sure, if the Thai sweetheart, having received her Visa to visit her sugar-daddy in Farangistan has won the lottery, or the Farang/Farangista that has landed a job at the embassy.

Cheers.

Farangistan ... love it ... my laugh for the day.

Now I know what to say next time a Thai asks me where I am from.

On the two occasions I have dealt with the BE I have found the service to be very poor, if it were any other department it would be found to be unfit for purpose.

1). Applied for a passport, the Thai staff were as helpful as a bucket of sand and rude an impolite as any official I have met in all the years of my travels (I can assure the readers that I am neither a pompous or arrogant sole and will tip my forelock to those where I have to).

2) A family member here feel into a coma and I asked the Embassy for information on what I the procedures were for repatriation and after two emails the only response was an automated reply to inform me that I would get a response.

If Embassies are not there to provide guidance and help to its subjects what are they there for?

"If Embassies are not there to provide guidance and help to its subjects what are they there for?"

An embassy is meant to provide a government to government liaison and to promote trade. Of greater importance in the days when communications were not as high tech as now, but the citizen services is not the first purpose of their existence even today.

Embassies are designed to increase communication between countries by having official representatives of foreign governments on hand to consult or negotiate with the host government. Embassies also assist travelers from their home country., and provide visa and other consular services for people seeking to travel abroad

Suradit69, on 01 Sept 2014 - 14:41, said:Suradit69, on 01 Sept 2014 - 14:41, said:Suradit69, on 01 Sept 2014 - 14:41, said:
brain1, on 01 Sept 2014 - 10:00, said:brain1, on 01 Sept 2014 - 10:00, said:brain1, on 01 Sept 2014 - 10:00, said:

On the two occasions I have dealt with the BE I have found the service to be very poor, if it were any other department it would be found to be unfit for purpose.

1). Applied for a passport, the Thai staff were as helpful as a bucket of sand and rude an impolite as any official I have met in all the years of my travels (I can assure the readers that I am neither a pompous or arrogant sole and will tip my forelock to those where I have to).

2) A family member here feel into a coma and I asked the Embassy for information on what I the procedures were for repatriation and after two emails the only response was an automated reply to inform me that I would get a response.

If Embassies are not there to provide guidance and help to its subjects what are they there for?

"If Embassies are not there to provide guidance and help to its subjects what are they there for?"

An embassy is meant to provide a government to government liaison and to promote trade. Of greater importance in the days when communications were not as high tech as now, but the citizen services is not the first purpose of their existence even today.

QuoteQuoteQuote

Embassies are designed to increase communication between countries by having official representatives of foreign governments on hand to consult or negotiate with the host government. Embassies also assist travelers from their home country., and provide visa and other consular services for people seeking to travel abroad

Since we are discussing consular services we should concentrate on that and discuss the failings of this service... eg Australia http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/services/consular-services-charter.html

And the Australian definition for Embassy is:

Embassy The usual term for the main representative office of one country in the capital city of another; usually headed by an Ambassador. Edited by MediaWatcher

I posted on this topic recently, but since you asked: I recently received excellent passport renewal service at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai. Turned in the renewal application on Thurs, received notice that it was ready the following Wednesday. No appointment needed to pick it up. $110 for either the small or extra pages size. I call that excellent service.

As for fees for documents and services, what can you do? Sure, we paid a lot of taxes in our time, yeah yeah, but that was then and this is now. Life is hard all over. $50 to get an income verification affidavit? Considering what that does for you at Immigration, it's a STEAL! Any other document service, same deal, $50 a pop. So what? Send a letter to your hometown newspaper complaining about it and you will get FLAMBE'ED by the angry locals who stayed home. If they can get hold of your email address, you'll probably get some hate mail about how "you're probably bu----ng little boys over there right now, you PREVERT! Stay over there, and rot in HELL!"

I was in a jam in KL once, when I ran out of pages for the Thailand 90 day non-Imm-O visa. Ran down to the US Embassy in a panic, expecting a great bigg hassle. They bumped me to the front of the line, and inserted the extra pages within the hour, for FREE. Two months later, they instituted a $75 charge for that service. Still reasonable. It is a tricky process. You can't just slap pages in there with a glue gun in your cheap hotel room.

Now if one was in serious trouble over here, robbed, no money, in jail, gotta get back home right away, etc., I don't know how helpful they might be. I don't ever want to find out, either. But American State Dept been berry berry good to me.

We complain about our embassies because there is no use complaining to them. They think they are gods. I expect the same level of service from them as I would expect from a Government department in my own country. Needless to say this is not given.

Government department in your own country? Dept of Motor Vehicles? Building Permits? City Hall? State legislature?

I went to the Social Security Office once to get a duplicate SSA card. The lady at the desk riding herd on the room had the strongest Caribbean accent I have ever heard, almost unintelligible. Almost everyone visiting the office was a non-US citizen, but so what. That's what makes America great, I don't care what Fox News says.

As I understand it, the function of the Embassies and Consulates is to keep the skids greased for business, trade, and commerce. Providing services to individual rank and file citizens is considered a minor irritation.

Don't know about others, but my Embassy has been very good to me.

They even gave my wife a visa to visit Greece.

Although, the guy in there, gave me a lecture for about 20 minutes, as to how bad and conniving, Thai Ladies can be.

And, you put up with that lecture?

When my new bride and I went to the US embassy in Manila to register our marriage, a Filipina US embassy employee interviewed us. Speaking in Tagalog and not knowing I speak the language, she asked my bride some questions I thought were unacceptable. I raised hell, and demanded to see an American. The Filipina US embassy worker was, of course, apologetic, but she left the room. I got my American counselor and the interview was finished within five minutes, no problems, no hassles, and no indelicate questions.

If you are willing to accept the ignorance that immediately assumes your wife is a prostitute; you are part of the problem.

I have been using the Australian Embassy in Bkk and it's primary purpose is to make money not help people it appears. TO witness documents $590 per signature, In Australia Free, overseas where they think you have no option they charge.

They nearly got me, asked for someone to witness some documents, saw on the fee chart they charge $590 for that and though ok it will take 5 minutes but fine. She signed duplicate copies (backups in case there was a problem) end price $1,770 discounted from $3,540 because she didn't want to charge for duplicates.

Everytime I walk in there I have to pay, so doesn't appear to be there to help people, they appear to just be there to make money. Typical Australian government style.

The Thai emmbasy in Australia, anything you need if you are a thai is pretty much free, they are there to help. You shouldn't have to pay for most of the services in an embassy, based on the policies used to setup the embassy you shouldn't really be paying at all.

$590!!!!!! That seems outrageously excessive. Standard notary charge at US Consulate is $50 a doc, and people complain. I tried getting a discount on a two-fer deal once, but they weren't going for it.

I thought everything with you OZ guys is good on ya, help yer mates, put a shrimp on the barbie, have another beer?

I'm in the "except for the high notary fee" the US Embassy has been quite good. The outreach program is great. The "appointment" program is ok, but often a long wait once you are inside for 5 minutes worth of paper work. They once forwarded a wayward (misaddressed) Veterans Affairs check which was nice but I'm wondering how they knew my address as I've never registered (never would) with them. Paranoia. There is a lady in the citizens section that is very helpful with Veterans medical needs, claims etc. All in all, for me ok. Now the Ambassador and foot-in-mouth Kerry surely didn't do us any good lately.

Never had any problems with the German Embassy in Bangkok. They immediately respond to your email requests. The service always had been always friendly and professional. And it was the same with the Office of the Honorary Consulate in Phuket, or Mr. Dirk Naumann (now retired). No complaints whatsoever.

We complain about our embassies because there is no use complaining to them. They think they are gods. I expect the same level of service from them as I would expect from a Government department in my own country. Needless to say this is not given.

Government department in your own country? Dept of Motor Vehicles? Building Permits? City Hall? State legislature?

I went to the Social Security Office once to get a duplicate SSA card. The lady at the desk riding herd on the room had the strongest Caribbean accent I have ever heard, almost unintelligible. Almost everyone visiting the office was a non-US citizen, but so what. That's what makes America great, I don't care what Fox News says.

As I understand it, the function of the Embassies and Consulates is to keep the skids greased for business, trade, and commerce. Providing services to individual rank and file citizens is considered a minor irritation.

Yes it probably did improve the services in the US

I have been using the Australian Embassy in Bkk and it's primary purpose is to make money not help people it appears. TO witness documents $590 per signature, In Australia Free, overseas where they think you have no option they charge.

They nearly got me, asked for someone to witness some documents, saw on the fee chart they charge $590 for that and though ok it will take 5 minutes but fine. She signed duplicate copies (backups in case there was a problem) end price $1,770 discounted from $3,540 because she didn't want to charge for duplicates.

Everytime I walk in there I have to pay, so doesn't appear to be there to help people, they appear to just be there to make money. Typical Australian government style.

The Thai emmbasy in Australia, anything you need if you are a thai is pretty much free, they are there to help. You shouldn't have to pay for most of the services in an embassy, based on the policies used to setup the embassy you shouldn't really be paying at all.

$590!!!!!! That seems outrageously excessive. Standard notary charge at US Consulate is $50 a doc, and people complain. I tried getting a discount on a two-fer deal once, but they weren't going for it.

I thought everything with you OZ guys is good on ya, help yer mates, put a shrimp on the barbie, have another beer?

I think you have to divide those prices by about 31 to get US dollars rather than baht.

I think you have to divide those prices by about 31 to get US dollars rather than baht.

Now I am more confused. We are talking Australian Dollars here, right? So $590 AUD = $551 USD, which is still insane. If it's a case of getting a document notarized, perhaps you can get that done at a Thai law firm?

Now I am more confused. We are talking Australian Dollars here, right? So $590 AUD = $551 USD, which is still insane. If it's a case of getting a document notarized, perhaps you can get that done at a Thai law firm?

He quoted the price in baht.....though he did use dollar signs.

The thing I do not like is that it is a per page charge.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dealt with the Canadian embassy here for 15+ years.

Just last month had a temporary passport arranged and delivered in 4 days, after putting mine through the laundry.

Top service every time I've been in there, smiling, pleasant, wiling to go the extra mile

Letter's for proof of income, notorize documents, passport renewals, newborn son's Certificate of Citizenship, newborn son's passport, easily and effiecently

It can be hard to get through on the phone, but e-mails are answered in a day.

but I have seen idiots go way overboard when not being treated like royalty, the staffs patience amazes me sometimes.

I agree. It is the same as me when I have to go there.

Baerboxer in posts 52 & 59 said

I have never been contacted and now they have stopped the on-line registration keep in touch facility too

W t f should I have to use Facebook and/or Twitter? So much for the British governments crap about security. Let's just bang it all on social media for the whole world to mine.

So you were happy to jump through hoops per annum updating your online registration via a distinctly unfriendly system that constantly timed people out; yet utilising facebook etc to access regular routine updates is a no-no?

Edited by evadgib

Been living in Thailand for near on 11 years. I've visited the Aust Embassy as and when required. Never had a real problem with their service, but do agree their prices are really over the top.

However the one thing that always gets under my skin is that they seem to be always showing TV from another country. I have reported this to the staff and all I've ever received was 'sorry'.

Obviously the EMBASSY IS NOT PROUD OF OUR OWN (Government) NETWORK.

I call this situation UNAUSTRALIAN

I from the USA & lived in Kuwait, Thai wife got pregnant.

Baby girl born in Surin. I was there for 10 days & had to return to work. I signed an affidavit at the Thai embassy in Kuwait so my wife could get the little one a Thai passport. When she was 3 months old they came to stay in Kuwait with me.

I went to the US embassy in Kuwait to do a consular report of birth abroad, and was told it would take 6 - 10 MONTHS to process, since she was born in Thailand......Fat lot of help that was. I said "no thanks".

About a year later (2006) I had 3 weeks vacation time, so we went to the US consulate in BKK. At the time their website was singularly confusing (it's much better now). Anyhow they asked if I had an appointment.....Errr, didn't know I need one. They tried to book me for 6 weeks out! GRRRRRR!!!!!!

Told them we were all leaving in 3 weeks, so they "Magically" managed to squeeze me in 2 days before our departure.

I showed up on time, replete with squalling 10 month old kid for an "interview".

Some big hog of a lady (AmeriKan), shows up 45 minutes late for our so-called "appointment" and starts asking all kinds of inappropriate questions about my wife (we'd been married 5 years by this time). It's a good thing they have that thick glass to hide behind, because I was ready to choke the life out of her.

Edited by jaywalker

It's all about expectations.

People have a deluded view that their embassy is something like a concierge service, and will roll out the red carpet and welcome them with open arms when they get into trouble. Bailing them out of legal problems, supporting them, and putting them on the first flight home at the taxpayer's expense is what a lot of people see as their birthright.

The reality turns out to be far different, and so disappointment sets in.

Prices for embassy services are at home country rates plus a premium too, which can be a lot for people scratching a living here.

I've been here for 12 years and have used the embassy in Bangkok several times. Twice, for passport pages, 15 minutes per trip. In 2006 stopped by to pick up a form but left after 15 minutes with my passport application submitted. Received in 2 weeks. Yes, I had pictures in my pocket. Lucky I guess.

Early this year the embassy here and in the Philippines helped me with a complicated issue involving the Social Security Administration. It was not in there perview but did it anyway.

In July applied for a new passport. Wanted to pay extra for expedited service to get it within 3 weeks. They apologized saying that service was not available overseas. But, my passport would be available for pickup within 2 weeks. They sent me an email 9 days later notifying me I could pickup my passport.

In April my friend died in front of me in the lobby of a Phnom Penh hotel. He was also a US citizen. Everyone knows this situation is fraught with problems. Adding to this adventure, it was Saturday, the first day of a 5 day New Year's holiday. Called the embassy there and was immediately connected to a wonderful woman who delt with me and my dead friend for 3 days, until we left Cambodia.

American Citizen Services is the holy grail of customer service as far as I'm concerned.

I echo your opinion of the service here in Chiang Mai. Have no knowledge of the Embassy.

As far as tax goes I was under the impression that if you are out of the country a certain length of time their would be no tax due. Not to knowledgeable about their tax laws as I don't get enough from them to even file on.

I was wondering what the services are if you live in the states. It was my understanding that if I wanted the Medicare or what ever I would have to pay for it out of my SS check.

• Like 1