Need Feedbacks On Schools In Bangkok

sosol28

We are moving to Bangkok this August and I need to find a school for my 7-year old daughter. I would prefer British curriculum but will also consider international curriculum. I need some feedbacks from parents whose children go to Patana, Harrow, Shrewsbury or NIST.

Many thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

sosol28,

All 4 schools you mention are great schools. And there are several other great international schools here in Bangkok. If you are willing to pay for it, then the international schools are of high standards, and often much better than what you may know from your home country. Fyi, then the 4 schools you mention are located quite far apart, so you may want to make your choice based on where you are going to live and/or work.

MaiTai

Thank you MaiTai for your message. At this stage I don't know where I want to live in Bangkok as I haven't been there yet (only moving mid-August). For the first 6 months we'll be staying in a serviced apartment north of Lumpini Park. I'm concerned that my daughter will spend long time commuting (approx. 40mn if I chose Patana), but then it seems that lots of children are in the same situation. Is that true? and is that sensible?

My personal favorite is NIST on sukh soi 15, based on location and the kids tend to be very outgoing, friendly, and good English skills. But, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the schools.

The commute is something you need to consider in a city like, Bangkok. When I first moved here I did everything temporary, and then when I got to know the city, I made the decisions on where to live etc. That worked well for me.

I don't know anything about the ethnic demographics of the schools. But Harrow and Shrewsbury would not be quite on par with the Patana, NIST, ISB three. Close, but not on par.

NIST is the only one that is full IBO curriculum. I find that personally appealing, but then I'm not the parent doing the shopping either. They've also invested heavily in IT recently and have become a [mirrored on the server] laptop school such that if a kid drops and fractures his HDD he can hand it in and get a replacement with a mirrored image of his HDD, school work, e-textbooks- the works immediately.

Both ISB and Patana's grounds and infrastructure are lovely- if being out of the city center a wee bit- and their academics are held in high esteem by all.

Edited by GoodHeart

Thank you for all your comments. Very useful. I have sort of given up on NIST as they go back to school very early (9 August). We'll probably arrive in Bangkok weekend 19 August, we can then visit a few schools. I did hear about KIS, one very positive comment and unfortunately one not so positive. But I guess it can apply to lots of schools. However what I've heard so far on Patana and ISB has always been positive.

Also, it seems that in some schools the standard of English is not always very high and that hinders the learning pace.

The commuting to Patana is still my main concern. Although our accommodation is only temporary, we could find something more convenient... Do any of your children spend long time commuting???

I have sort of given up on NIST as they go back to school very early (9 August). We'll probably arrive in Bangkok weekend 19 August, we can then visit a few schools.

Also, it seems that in some schools the standard of English is not always very high and that hinders the learning pace.

The commuting to Patana is still my main concern.

My 2 Baht:

Healthy, balanced kids are far more resilient than we assume: In an academic sense, I would assume the faculty at NIST would make every attempt possible to bring yours' up to speed. NIST is such a fine school, I think you owe it to yourself and kids to at least visit the campus and consider the school for what it is- even if that is as runner up to the others.

Banish commuting as the main concern: They all have an amazing fleet of minivans that criss-cross the city shuttling the kids door to door. And time spent in the minivans is not neccessarily wasted- laptops and iPods being what they are.

Parental complaints: Tough call in Thailand. As many parents complain that the curriculum is too hard as they do that it's not hard enough. Lots of parents are second class influences when compared to the maids and nannies. Your best bet is to weight comments heard by the integrity of their source. A feat not easily done online, is it? :o

I guess one advantage of visiting NIST is that I can see the school WITH the pupils rather than just looking at some buildings and facilities.

On another subject, are books expensive in Bangkok? My daughter reads a lot. Are there any good libraries, second-hand bookshops?

Is there anything worth taking from the UK which you can't get in Bangkok?

Definitely a misconception - at least at any of the schools that you're looking at. From our PMs, you know which school I work at but I've also worked at a school which is lower down on the rung from these schools and it wasn't the case there either. Even in the schools where there is higher numbers of Thais compared to expats you will find that the Thai children have been in international education from a very young age (about 3 yrs) and most have English skills as good, and sometimes better than native speakers in an academic situation!

I guess one advantage of visiting NIST is that I can see the school WITH the pupils rather than just looking at some buildings and facilities.

On another subject, are books expensive in Bangkok? My daughter reads a lot. Are there any good libraries, second-hand bookshops?

I guess books are expensive but I still can't help buying lots! There is a great new bookshop in Siam Paragon Shopping Centre with an excellent kids section, school libraries are good, plus there's the Neilson Hayes Library in the Silom area (not sure what that's like, though).

Edited by sylvafern

NIST just moved their library into a brand new facility. The collection at the old one was very impressive. VERY! But so are the Pattana Libraries.

Bangkok is woefully deficient in public libraries and book stores- in Thai and English. Kinokuniya Books, in Siam Paragon and Emporium are the best in Bangkok. Used shops are teeny and not really worth the effort. Books@53 is a very impressive shop and the owner is a delightfully eccentric Thai- Oxford educated no less. He has a very interesting mix of scholarly reference, adult and childrens books. Make sure you visit it!

I, too, have never been to the Neilson Hayes Library in the Silom. And no wonder, their absurd bankers hours don't make it easy! :o But they often have children's programs and events for the expat community.

The commuting to Patana is still my main concern. Although our accommodation is only temporary, we could find something more convenient... Do any of your children spend long time commuting???

I would definitely not worry about the commuting aspect.

I live in Pattanakarn Road - Near Soi On Nuch - and at first my Daughter went to ISB when it was where NIST is now; they then moved out of Bangkok to a really beautiful purpose Built Campus out near Chaeng Wattana - the opposite side of Bangkok to where I live, and I admit I too was worried about the long commute.

ISB have a Tramsport Contract with Montri Transport who have a fleet of buses and mini-buses, with good Drivers and a Bus Monitor - usually a Thai female.

The bus would pick up my daughter at 5.30 am every morning - very rarely late - and bring her back after school.

The early start was never a problem for her, it was a bit more difficult for me at first but actually I got into the habit of rising early too which gave me a running start to my workday!

Patrick

I live in Pattanakarn Road - Near Soi On Nuch - and at first my Daughter went to ISB when it was where NIST is now; they then moved out of Bangkok ...

Patrick

How old is your daughter? My daughter's only 7. It seems such a long day for such a young age??

I live in Pattanakarn Road - Near Soi On Nuch - and at first my Daughter went to ISB when it was where NIST is now; they then moved out of Bangkok ...

Patrick

How old is your daughter? My daughter's only 7. It seems such a long day for such a young age??

I think my daughter was about 9 when ISB moved from Soi 15 to Chaengwattana.

Obviously the kids sleep on the bus on the way to school.

It really was no problem for her - and I did check her Grades and attitude in general for the first year or so to make sure; she ended up V.P. of her Senior year and graduated IB with Honours so no harm was done at all!

Patrick

Look I don't mean to be too cynical here..but you're concerned about the cost of books and want 2nd hand stores -- but you're shopping around to send your daughter to some of the most expensive international schools in Asia? It's 12-14 THOUSAND DOLLARS a year for JUST tuition! Then there's another 10 thousand upfront, non-refundable, for the pleasure of 'entry' to the fine establishments.

I guess the company's paying for the schools but not the books is that it? Better check to see if they'll pay the entry fee..most won't.

Look I don't mean to be too cynical here..but you're concerned about the cost of books and want 2nd hand stores -- but you're shopping around to send your daughter to some of the most expensive international schools in Asia? It's 12-14 THOUSAND DOLLARS a year for JUST tuition! Then there's another 10 thousand upfront, non-refundable, for the pleasure of 'entry' to the fine establishments.

I guess the company's paying for the schools but not the books is that it? Better check to see if they'll pay the entry fee..most won't.

Yes – good point, I missed that comment by the OP.

ISB, when my daughter left, was charging just under Baht 700,000.- a year for tuition in High School, the School Bus fees added another Baht 100,000.- or so per year.

(School Fees are also now “indexed linked” to the Thai Baht : US Exchange Rate to avoid any losses to the School because of Currency movements. This makes sense in that Teacher salaries – obviously a major component of the Schools’ expenditure - are quoted in US Dollar terms, however it does mean that Fees can move quite substantially year-on-year)

Add in Lunches, School supplies and Uniforms – plus the various overseas School Trips arranged during vacations etc. and you’re looking at over Baht 1 million a year absolute minimum.

There is also a School “Bond” which one has to purchase to obtain admission – I believe this is now around Baht 400,000.- . It’s a once-off payment and it is refunded when you re-sell it after your child leaves the school but the money will remain tied up for the duration of her time at ISB.

Patrick

Nasty comment Thaigene2! Anything positive to say???

Sorry - just seems odd to worry about 2nd hand books! Good your daughter likes to read though. Okay positives - the book stores here (Asia Books) are pretty good and not much more expensive than the West. I was in Kuala Lumpr a while back and noticed that books there are very cheap and plentiful..So you can always bring back from there or maybe Singapore when you travel regionally.

The international schools are really expensive here as brownstone pounts out..beware, mate..really..and do check on this issue of whether your employer will cover the 'entry fees'..

Not everyone can afford the best of everything. Mainly for education and food, I don't compromise. But for toys, books, uniforms... I tend to buy secondhand whenever I can as at the age of 7, children grow and change so quickly. School fees for British/internalional schools in Bangkok are high but not much higher than private schools in the UK (company not paying).

It is just a personal choice.

My daughter has been at Patana for 4 years, and despite the name, i would not reccommend it to anyone.

Patana is a lovely school with good sports facilities but as far as education goes my daughter had gone from being top of the class to below average in 4 years.

They wrap the kids up in cotton wool there, and certainly do not pudh the children to their limits.

Patana was a good school once, but now it is a business, they care about money and not the education.

There is a new BRITISH school opened direct on Sukhumvit Road (Soi 53) at the bottom of Thong Lor BTS and it follows the British Cirriculum and is 110,000 THB a term cheaper.

The schoolis called Bangkok Internation prep and secondry school.

Just my two pennies worth!

Whitz

I have brought my daughter out of Patana this month after 4 years there when the term ended and my daughter will now be going to the new school on 1st September.

I know 7 people who have pulled their children out of Patana this end of term.

After living here more than 4 years i have obviously done my homework on all schools that follow the British curriculum and this new school matches everything i require for my daughters education which is of the upmost importance to us. She is also very happy to go there as she wants to work towards her previous level again.

I live facing NIST and for travel resons it would have ben great for her to go there, however they follow the American curriculum which is what i do not want.

Whitz

I have brought my daughter out of Patana this month after 4 years there when the term ended and my daughter will now be going to the new school on 1st September.

I know 7 people who have pulled their children out of Patana this end of term.

After living here more than 4 years i have obviously done my homework on all schools that follow the British curriculum and this new school matches everything i require for my daughters education which is of the upmost importance to us. She is also very happy to go there as she wants to work towards her previous level again.

I live facing NIST and for travel resons it would have ben great for her to go there, however they follow the American curriculum which is what i do not want.

Whitz

my wife is a teacher. She has never rated Pattana either.....

The schoolis called Bangkok Internation prep and secondry school.

I don't know about anyone else, but after a quick glance at the Bangkok International Prep FAQ I would question their level of literacy. Having done just that, it then led me to question their accreditation. Well, I just got off the phone with them. Guess what I discovered? They have none. And yet, I was told this was their fourth year of existence.

The woman I spoke to- upon my inquiring into their accreditation status -tried to reassure me of their academic legetimacy by citing their membership in ISAT. That organization is nothing more than a farsical rubber stamp. Notice the date ISAT came into existence.

What sosol28 may not be aware of is essential knowledge for parents: Some years back, the Thai Ministry of Education relaxed the standards under which International Schools are allowed to operate here. :o This was but one example of the Thai govts quest to be the global hub of hubs. Read some good propaganda on the growth that ensued here: International Ed Boom.

If you scroll down the Ministry of Ed page until you come to 9.School Quality Assurance section you will discover the following:

Schools of primary and secondary levels must be educationally accredited from an international organization recognized and accepted by the Office of the Private Education Commission within 6 years from the date of the schools’ operation. The schools must submit progress on each step to the Office of the Private Education Commission.

Where the school cannot comply with these procedures, they shall appeal for a one-year (only) extension. If the school is unable to complete the process, it shall be closed in 2 years.

Giving a school 7 years to gain accreditation? :D What a tragic mistake... :D

Unfortunately people with complaints often have the loudest voices ... that's not to say Whitz's concerns with Patana aren't genuine, but that the majority of parents that are happy will remain quiet. I think that if you only know 7 children leaving at the end of the year from an 8-form entry school is pretty amazing .... there must be around 1000 or so pupils in the primary section.

Every school will have a small number of parents unhappy with it just as they will also have people completely satisfied. It just depends what you want for your child.

No offence to Whitz's concerns, but the fact that his/her daughter was "top" of the class (how was this measured????) a few years ago and is below average now (again, how was this measured???) means nothing as it could just be that the current make-up of her class has a large number of particularly good children and she could possibly be an 'above average' kid in a class full of 'above average' kids. It could be that Whitz's daughter found learning easier at a younger age and is now experienceing difficulties which need addressing .... there's many different possibities for a drop in performance and, to be honest, I doubt it's the result of a whole school attitude.

According to the International Education Boom "After three years the school has to be accredited by the Education Ministry and by an external body after five years.”

Then how comes that Bangkok Prep School doesn't even have the accreditation from the Education Ministry??!!

By the way, NIST definitely follows the IB curriculum.