Garbage dumping sites surrounding Bangkok to undergo major reorganization

webfact

I agree with all the posts, but one of the reasons there is so much packaging, is for security and hygiene in a country with such a hot climate, in order to avoid insects and the like invading the product. Certainly there has got to be a radical change in mindset with regard to garbage disposal and recycling, or the problem could soon become similar to that in Manila, which is the worst I have ever encountered.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might as well bring up another pollution problem that exists here in Thailand and most Thais seem totally unaware of it's existence. Noise pollution in a very blatant form. I've pointed out to numerous Thais, friends and strangers, the absurdity of songtaews being allowed to ply the streets with blaring advertisements for product half the people could care less about. These vehicles, with the unknowing lunatic behind the wheel, crawl down the road at peak traffic times blocking the way for traffic to pass and in general just make a mess for all with the noise pollution they stupidly expose the public to. If you point it out to a Thai, their response is the same as if in English they said, huh? They know not of what in the heck you are even talking about. Thailand is so badly polluted with absolutely unnecessary pollution that it makes an aware outsider wonder how in this day and age any people of this planet can be so unaware of what's going on around them. The GENERAL has his work cut out for him, but, I'd say it will require assistance from outside the country because Thai's in general would have no idea whatsoever of what is being addressed.

So many posters on this board preaching to the choir. It does little good to say to most Thai that farang do everything the correct way, and they should do things this way also. Thai are indoctrinated from the cradle to think that their way is the best way, and each person should take care of themselves. Telling them how the West does it, and they should do this also, only fuels the xenophobic fires. They are less likely than ever to change for "the better".

I learned the hard way, preaching about recycling in our Lanna village for several years, with no result. Then I needed to go to conference in Mumbai, with my wife saying " How can you go there? I is so filthy and Indians are disgusting". I took some photos of Mumbai beaches and other trash in India, and gathered more on my return. Then I put together a small album of these photos and gave it to the Puyai Baan.

Within one month, the village started to clean up and recycle - I was even approached to start a large compost project. Years later, we still have a relatively clean village, with widespread recycling and almost no trash burning. The secret is to play on Thai xenophobia of Indians and set out to prove that they are better.

Several neighbouring villages have joined the effort. I have not seen my album of Indian trash shots since that time, but I understand that it has been through several villages, and is now being used by the Amphur. It might not work everywhere, but the Lanna contempt for Indians is a very useful tool.

Edited by tigermonkey

Make trash collection mandatory , out here in the sticks most villages do not get tgeir trash picked up cos the villagers dont want to pay for it , instead they just burn it in front of their house , when have bigger trash it usually ends up next to the road out of the village ,

I asked for my garbage to be collected but they say as long as not the whole village does that they dont pick it up ,so now i drive with my rubbish to town 36 km to put em in containers of a market that get emptied every day , mostly plastic packaging and pampers , organic goes on the compost heap

And that is a social crisis. I have been on roads in the provinces, where the entire roadside looked like a garbage dump. In an otherwise attractive area. Such a tremendous lack of pride shown by the local population. It starts on the local level. Been to provinces like Prachuap Khiri Khan, where there is not a spot of trash to be found by the side of the road. The local people really give a damn, and keep their area looking beautiful. It can be done. People simply have to care, and then have to do something about it. Not doing so is emblematic of ignorance, apathy, disregard for the environment, and sloth. There is absolutely no excuse for a lack of waste pickup. Thailand is not rural Burkina Faso. Is it?

So many posters on this board preaching to the choir. It does little good to say to most Thai that farang do everything the correct way, and they should do things this way also. Thai are indoctrinated from the cradle to think that their way is the best way, and each person should take care of themselves. Telling them how the West does it, and they should do this also, only fuels the xenophobic fires. They are less likely than ever to change for "the better".

I learned the hard way, preaching about recycling in our Lanna village for several years, with no result. Then I needed to go to conference in Mumbai, with my wife saying " How can you go there? I is so filthy and Indians are disgusting". I took some photos of Mumbai beaches and other trash in India, and gathered more on my return. Then I put together a small album of these photos and gave it to the Puyai Baan.

Within one month, the village started to clean up and recycle - I was even approached to start a large compost project. Years later, we still have a relatively clean village, with widespread recycling and almost no trash burning. The secret is to play on Thai xenophobia of Indians and set out to prove that they are better.

Several neighbouring villages have joined the effort. I have not seen my album of Indian trash shots since that time, but I understand that it has been through several villages, and is now being used by the Amphur. It might not work everywhere, but the Lanna contempt for Indians is a very useful tool.

That was a very good idea of you. A great achivement you should be proud of. Thank you.

get them to contact a bloke named ian kiernan, in australia he cleaned up the country in 5 years by shaming the population,he also instigated clean up australia day which has now spread to other countries,where people get out for the day and clean up rubbish in creeks roadsides and the ocean.