Is Adsl With 12 Db Line Possible?

thedi

I would linke to subscribe to ADSL if possible. My current connection with a 56K modem has to many interruptions.

I live 4 km from the next phone center in Manchakiri (Khonkaen). Yesterday a guy from TOT came and checked my line. He had a meter but no knowledge. We found out that the my line has only a 12 DB signal.

He thinks thats very low but it _may_ work, he said normally it should be 30 BD or more. We tried with his laptop and it worked good, 256K gave a very good response.

My main interrest is not speed, but not-iterrupted communication. Is ADSL with a line with only 12 DB signal likely to allow me to work with less interruptions than my modem connection?

Has any body any experiance?

Thanks for any hints

Thedi

Not sure what the engineer checked, but I think its the SNR (signal to noise ratio)

I have adsl up and running on an 8 km long line, and my SNR stays above 15db when connected at 256kbps. The connection stays pretty stable as well, so I guess you should be OK.

Only risk might be that there are to many connections on the line which are not rain resistant (the black insulation tape kind connection :o ).

This will get your connection to drop out when raining...