Jihadists steal commercial jets, raise 9/11 fears: reports

webfact

LIBYA
Jihadists steal commercial jets, raise 9/11 fears : reports

Agencies

BANGKOK: -- Jihadists have stolen several commercial jetliners in Libya, raising concerns with intelligence officials about 9/11-style terror strikes as the 13th anniversary approaches.

The Algerian news site al-Fadjr on Aug. 6 said 11 aircraft went missing from Tripoli International Airport during fighting between militias, IHS Janes 360 reports, but says the Algerian report was "probably not credible."

Subsequently, Mohamed Frikha, CEO of the Tunisian airline company Syphax, told Tunisia’s Shems FM Radio that two Airbus-A320 aircraft belonging to the Libyan company Ifriqiya were missing from Misratah, Janes reports.

Meanwhile, the Washington Free Beacon reports that information about stolen jetliners was circulated within the U.S. government over the past two weeks — including an ominous warning that one or more jets could be used in an attack marking the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist strikes in New York and Washington.

"There are a number of commercial airliners in Libya that are missing," one unnamed official told the Free Beacon. "We found out on Sept. 11 what can happen with hijacked planes."

Sept. 11 also will mark the second anniversary of the Libyan terrorist attack on a U.S. outpost in Benghazi that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

Military groups in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and Egypt have all been placed on heightened alert because of the stolen jets, the Free Beacon reports.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Jihadists-steal-commercial-jets-raise-911-fears-re-30242500.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-04

I would like to see the evidence that 'jihadists' have stolen the aircraft, rather than say an entrepreneur, who has help himself to a few hundred million dollars worth of aircraft from a country at war.

"entrepreneur" is that a new name for thief? And do you really think that your suggestion that an "entrepreneur" just mooching about a war zone nicked a couple o' planes to hock spare parts off is more plausible than "jihadists"?

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 1

I would like to see the evidence that 'jihadists' have stolen the aircraft, rather than say an entrepreneur, who has help himself to a few hundred million dollars worth of aircraft from a country at war.

"entrepreneur" is that a new name for thief? And do you really think that your suggestion that an "entrepreneur" just mooching about a war zone nicked a couple o' planes to hock spare parts off is more plausible than "jihadists"?

Having worked for Colonel Ghadafi in Libya for 6 years prior to the uprising, I agree with gentleman Jim. The Libyans are more than capable of stealing an aircraft and selling it. Firstly, the Aircaft belong to Afriqiyah Airways which belongs to one of Ghadafi's sons. As such they do not see it as stealing what was bought with money belonging to the Libyan people. Secondly Afriqiyah Airways stole several jet engines from a friend's aircraft leasing company and refused to retrun them.

Thirdly they are great entrepreneurs (decendants of the Phoenician traders). I used to go to the car market on fridays and see many cars stolen in Europe one day for sale that are shipped over on the car ferry from Genoa to Tripoli overnight. I don't see any Jihadis in Libya, I see militias that are fighting to get rid of an Islamic Government that is not doing its job in imposing law and order in the country. I am in touch with many Libyan former colleagues on a daily basis.

George-Cole-as-Arthur-Dal-010.jpg

• Like 1

They already have MH Flight 370 tucked away. We won't see it until it is delivering a dirty bomb to some metropolitan area.

Your idiotic conspiracy theories are not helping anyone. When it is finally found, or at least never appears again, will you admit you are wrong?

To be completely fair, faced with the evidence, of which there is very little, the theory from zaphod is just as valid as any other theory out there.. I find it interesting psychologically that our Governments have been shown to be capable of very bad things, yet if we blame them for any occurrence it is immediately labelled a conspiracy theory. Why would the concept that MH 370 may have been stolen by terrorists have you label it a 'conspiracy'? Is it too far fetched for you? Too unlikely?How can zaphod admit he is wrong if it (MH 370 ) is never found?

If anyone secreted MH370 away, it's the US or China. Transponder evidence has led to tens of millions of dollars spent by Australia and other countries to search the southern Indian Ocean...I don't think they would do that to cover for Islamists, and I don't think they are that ignorant.

Zaphod's post is silly.

• Like 2

"Thieving entrepreneur". It's just as valid a theory. Look at some of Russia's millionaires and where they got their dosh.

How can u lose 11 commercial jetliners. By crikey these islamists must have a lot of technical expertise to shut down all the systems on the jetliners that report where they are. Come on, some one is pulling our leg! Is it an insurance scam?

• Like 1

They already have MH Flight 370 tucked away. We won't see it until it is delivering a dirty bomb to some metropolitan area.

Your idiotic conspiracy theories are not helping anyone. When it is finally found, or at least never appears again, will you admit you are wrong?

There weill be some pathetic faces when the craft is found, for sure, plus the queen is in big shit when its proved she got the sas to murder princess di, not even forgetting the president of usa ordered the twin towers to be blown up, its bloody pathetic, these idiots.Somebody is making good money writing crazy conspiracy books, and the misguided numties follow.

It's not a bad idea though Bernard, writing conspiracy books for a living. I mean it couldn't be any worse than Harry Potter.

There weill be some pathetic faces when the craft is found, for sure, plus the queen is in big shit when its proved she got the sas to murder princess di, not even forgetting the president of usa ordered the twin towers to be blown up, its bloody pathetic, these idiots.Somebody is making good money writing crazy conspiracy books, and the misguided numties follow.

It's not a bad idea though Bernard, writing conspiracy books for a living. I mean it couldn't be any worse than Harry Potter.

But Harry Potter's real............isn't it sad.png

SIR

Never thought of that hahahahahah

If another 9/11 attack occurs, is Obama going to blame a movie again?

You've been watching Fox "News" again, haven't you?

"As the attack in Benghazi was unfolding a few hours later, Mr. Abu Khattala told fellow Islamist fighters and others that the assault was retaliation for the same insulting video, according to people who heard him."

Now back on topic please.

biggrin.png

I doubt very much that commercial aircraft in Libya went anywhere without being tracked from on high by a number of security services.

Of course they could be on their way to the UAE to "thank" them for their own aerial "gift" of last week.

Edited by Chicog

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is it suggested that the next target would be in Bangkok?

Are the Jihadists allied so closely with the the southern muslims and anti Bangkok establishment as to take this so seriously?

I can think of many more "logical" targets particularly anything in the US who are the "natural" enemy, and if not, the new skyscrapers in Madrid after the recent Jihadist calls on social media to re-take Al Andalus.

It does not have to be jihadists who steal the aircraft. An "entrepreneur" could sell the aircraft for parts or, if the IS are offering more, sell it to them. The IS are generating money from oil, conservatively said to be over $1million per day. They have the cash.

That said, jihadists are unlikely to get close to the USA, given the level of surveillance of the skys and the registration of aircraft and flightplans. A small private jet might get past but anything like a passenger jet without a proper call-sign and registration? Instead, they are more likely to hit either a NATO or USA installation abroad, such as in Africa where the checks are much less.

• Like 1

Seriously people, it's not that hard to steal a plane ! Especially in a place where there is little, if any, authority and your own people are providing security. New paint job, new registration, new transponder codes - not that difficult (in that part of the world). That's if they were thinking of reselling to some other organization that may perhaps not be too "diligent" in doing a background check on the seller.

If they are just planning to fly people and equipment around Libya (or various "generals" want their own status symbols to move around in) they probably wouldn't have to do much more spray paint a pretty picture on them and just fly them until they crash (from poor pilot skill, poor maintenance, etc) or can't take off (no fuel, no maintenance, etc).

Remember Victor Bout ? He made a fortune when the Soviet Union collapsed by basically just taking dozens of IL-76's and AN-24's and assorted other cargo planes and having them flown to Dubai. He then used them to fly various types of cargo pretty much any and everywhere (except perhaps Europe and North America). His "company" is probably still doing that while Victor himself remains in US custody after his (somewhat shady) arrest in Thailand and eventual deportation to the US.

No doubt there are some jihadis out there that probably started drooling over the prospect of trying to re-enact 9/11 but it ain't as easy as hopping into a plane and just flying it into (pick likely target). It's possible, but without some very careful and difficult preparations, it's more likely they'd be blown out of the sky long before getting near any target.

(Stealing/flying a plane is one thing. Spoofing it so it could fly into another country's airspace without arousing suspicion is something different. Especially considering that everyone now knows there are planes missing, and various "authorities" probably have all the details of those missing planes.)

• Like 1

You are correct; this is a valid point. Whether funding jihad efforts or local tribal money pocketing- it happened. However, when one begins to connect the local militias and realize they were the single largest foreign

fighters in the Iraq theater, and now Syrian theater, a picture begins to emerge related to Seymour Hersch's earlier piece detailing the connection between Libya and Syrian jihadists for arms channeling through Turkey. While his overall point was implicating the west in this debacle I only intend to suggest a valid connection exists between IS and Ansar al Sharia and other brigade affiliates in Libya.

Concurrent with this theft IS is claiming to be forcing Syrian pilots to instruct them in the flying of various platforms. http://counterjihadreport.com/

In any event, the theft and possible misuse of these airplanes is not the most significant problem facing us today. It equally shares the spotlight among many mounting concerns of islamic jihad expansion. It is the progressive, insidious creep of stealth jihad that nations of the world should most fear. This type of jihad is like killing the immune system of the host, the ability to defend is lost. Airliners can be awful acts of "Sensational Terrorism," but will not kill the host.

http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/upload/wysiwyg/article%20pdfs/Shariah%20-%20The%20Threat%20to%20America%20%28Team%20B%20Report%29%2009142010.pdf